What Does Perry Stevenson Think About Billy Gillispie and Texas Tech?

Big Blue Nation, our man Perry Stevenson is in the business of writing these days, and used today’s writing to give some insight into what the players at Texas Tech are going through right now, based on his own experiences with Billy Gillispie at Kentucky:

It only took me a few months to realize what we were in for, but like any other ball player in my position, you attempt to play through it. Play through all the insults, apologies, team meetings, 6 hour “voluntary” film sessions, his crying, your crying and enough blood (just from the blisters on your feet) to feed every vampire from the Twilight series for a very long time. Aside from that, B.C.G. knows a little about the game. I just wish I could have warned Tech about what they were getting themselves into.

With all the news coming out of Lubbock in the past couple of days that is eerily similar to news that came out in Lexington after he was let go at Kentucky, it’s hard to imagine Gillispie being the Head Coach at Texas Tech much longer. Especially if the players accusations catch wind of the NCAA, who might like to ask him and the players a few questions.

Article written by Will Totten

Born in Indiana and raised in Louisville, I am the unlikeliest UK fan.

26 Comments for What Does Perry Stevenson Think About Billy Gillispie and Texas Tech?

1. ukfastcat
    3:38 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

BCG is a stain on the good name of UK and anyone dumb enough to ever hire him following the damage he did here.
    He’s gone, let’s move on!
    GO CATS!

2. Sammydog
    3:49 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

As a mental health professional, I have wondered if BCG has untreated Bipolar disorder. There is more to this than alcoholism. Behavior is similar to other bipolar coaches, Bobby Knight and Woody Hayes come to mind. The mind games, impulsive behavior, crying spells, poor judgement, abusive behavior, and self treatment with alcohol often happen with this condition.

3. LouisvilleFan
    3:54 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

I can’t read.

4. BBN
    4:05 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

Mark Emmert: “I’m sorry, we don’t have jurisdiction over the way a coach treats a player.” Fu*#in boob

5. LouisvillePlayer
    4:07 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

I dont have to read. L-yeah

6. SKat
    4:21 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

2: Agree. There’s more here than meets the eye with BCG. Has he always coached this way? Was the pressure at UK enough to trigger a breakdown? What was he like during the years at Texas A&M when he was temporarily successful? It’s a sad story and his “illness” set the UK program back a couple of years, but I hold no ill will. Barnhart et al. chose him, so UK bears responsibility for the ill fit. I was hopeful myself, since BCG was portrayed as a “basketball-aholic”, that his total devotion to his job would bring success to the UK program. I hope that BCG finds help and recovers, else he has no business working with young people.

7. Joker
    4:27 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

See yall, I’m not the worst coach Mitch has ever hired.

8. smoke and mirrors
    4:28 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

Sorry #6,that’s your opinion and you are welcome to it. My opinion…SCREW HIM, LET HIM GO TO THE CURB WHERE HE BELONGS!! I feel the same way about anyone who abuses our kids,and make no mistake about it, these were trusting kids,both at UK and T.T. No second chace,no pass go, straight to hell if you miss treat young people,I don’t care what their age. YOU TRUST YOUR COACH!!!! He burnt all the bridges he gets.NO SYMATHY FROM ME!!…Just MY opinion.

9. BCG Sucks
    4:49 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

This is strange but, #8 is spot on. BCG deserves no second chance any time you violate the trust of the young people you are in charge of its over. Tough love is pushing someone towards a goal that they don’t think they are capable of. This is totally different. BCG has shown he doesn’t have the best interest of the kids in mind, he is only concerned with advancing his own agenda and doing a piss poor job at that.

10. jacocat
    4:59 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

Beating Uof L in the tourney was probably a part in the reason BCG was hired at UK. The practice hrs being reported is an NCAA violation which is good reason to get rid of him. Maybe it wont cost TT 3mil. like it did UK.

11. stan
    5:01 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

I rarely,if ever, agree with #8. This is one time I join you #9 and agree with #8. No three strike rule here, he should have never been given a second chance after the crap he did while he was here.Shame on anyone who let’s him have another chance, and if they don’t fire him, shame on Tech.

12. jacocat
    5:07 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

i agree # 11 . His problem go a lot deeper than drinking.

13. Wild Turkey 101
    5:11 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

I’ve heard enough from Perry Stephenson. A typical, lousy ‘Scrubby’ Smith recruit who had no business playing at Kentucky.

14. Bordetcollie
    5:25 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

#13 proves that alcohol kills brain cells. #7 is the identical twin. #1 has it right. Little sister Loserville is going down tomorrow.

15. smoke and mirrors
    5:29 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

I agree with #1..#13,go to hell with BCG you jerk.

16. Han
    5:30 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

Players running too much and crying – NCAA will probably take away a scholarship, restrict visits and put them on probation. UNC lying for 10+ years – no rules broken.

17. Linda Taylor
    5:35 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

Whether BCG is bipolar, has alcoholism or just plain a^^holeism, he’s no longer our problem, thank God. Texas Tech had to be crazy to hire him and now they are paying the price.

18. doug
    5:40 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

how much confidence does this give you in Barnharth that he chose this person

19. Joker
    5:55 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

#14 – Thanks for the support, Mom. I know you’ll still love me no matter bad I am.

20. Linda Taylor
    5:57 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

18-He wanted other coaches but they didn’t want KY, too much pressure from a demanding fan base. BCG was considered one of the top up-and-coming coaches in the country. From what I have heard the A&M AD flat out lied to Mitch because he wanted to get rid of BCG, which was later born out when BCG tried to get his job back when he realized he was in over his head.

21. who ax'd ya
    6:31 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

20 – BCG beat uofl. That is the ONLY reason Mitch hired the drunk. Mitch is just lucky his sorry butt didn’t canned too.

22. Beavis
    6:41 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

Thats what happens when you have a one person search for a new coach. We can only hope our AD learned a lesson but I doubt it.

23. Linda Taylor
    7:03 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

21-Well, maybe my source is a whole lot better than your source.

24. UK Snuggie
    8:44 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

McKayla Maroney = hot!!!

25. Will Totten
    9:31 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

24. McKayla Maroney = 16 years old.

26. Chris Hansen of Dateline NBC
    11:40 pm September 1, 2012 Permalink

Kids are so soft these days.