What do you mean he’s not a lottery pick?

With the surprising news that Terrence Jones would be leaving UK to pursue a professional basketball career (sarcasm), its time for fans to look ahead at what team TJ might be playing for next season. Draft analysts usually have a pretty good handle on where a player is going to be drafted but I’m not sure how accurate this one is. If you’ve looked at a NBA mock draft before there is a strong chance you’ve looked on NBADraft.net. Its one of the first ones that pop up in a Google search and doesn’t call for much investigation. As a UK fan, the first thing I look for is where they have our players going because its usually a good indication on if they will for sure leave or stay. Here are the first twenty picks that NBADraft.net projects for June’s draft:

If you aren’t familiar with the NBA lottery it consists of the 14 teams that didn’t make the playoffs participating in a lottery to see what order they will pick the 14 best players. Its designed to give the worst teams the best chance to get a high pick so they can have first dibs on the best talent (Except in 2008. My Bulls had a 1.9% chance to get the first pick in the draft and it happened to be Derrick Rose. Thank you, David Stern!). Basically NBADraft.net is saying there are nineteen players better than TJ in the upcoming draft but I have a hard time believing that when I look at the players projected ahead of him. So what’s the deal? Is it his off and on motor? The fact that he’s too undersized to play the PF position? Is he a little too slow to play SF? I don’t know, but he definitely has all the tools to be a great player in the NBA and I have a hard time seeing him slip out of the lottery.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

65 Comments for What do you mean he’s not a lottery pick?

1. DuPont
    8:04 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

These are the same clowns that had Drummond over Davis for majority of the clear, before it was blatantly obvious no NBA GM would do something that stupid.

2. DuPont
    8:04 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

year*

3. FIU Richard p
    8:06 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Next year Siva will be the top over all pick.

4. terwilliger
    8:07 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Kendall Marshall is going to be the biggest flop since Danny Ferry. He has good court vision but is very slow, can’t go to his right, and is a poor shooter. IMO he has borderline first-round talent and if he is picked in the lottery then that teams ownership should be flogged.

5. snoopaloop
    8:07 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Jared Sullinger is going to get annihilated in the NBA. He is Glen “Big Baby” Davis 2.0.

6. bmt22033
    8:08 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

But DraftExpress projects Jones as the #11 pick!

7. WTF??
    8:08 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Draft express is better. Yeah, Doron is going before TJ. My dog could pick a better draft, just by sheeting on random names.

8. Bleed Blue
    8:10 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

NBADraft.net is horrible. Draftexpress is the best, and I always go by them. I believe that Lamb is going to come back because he is slated as a second round draft pick by Draftexpress.

9. Big Blue 66
    8:10 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Jared sullinger continues to grow i guess, listed at 6’10, there is no freaking way, I bet he isnt 6’8″

10. CatsForever
    8:11 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

No Europeans in top 20?

11. bmt22033
    8:11 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

And nbadraft.net projects Teague @ 27 while DraftExpress places him as the 18th pick.

12. bmt22033

Jones – 11
    Teague – 18
    Lamb – 33
    Miller – 35

13. jwcayutfan
    8:15 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

What position is Terrence Jones in the NBA??
    He will get killed by the big PFs in the league (too short…no hops), and he simply is too slow and simply doesn’t shoot it well enough to be a Small Forward. He is the classic Tweener. His best chance is to be a Udonis Haslem type defense/rebound first player who can hit the open 10-12 footer.

14. Dragonophile
    8:15 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I am with #10. Any mock draft that doesn’t have at least a few non-US college players is simply unrealistic and parochial.

15. Rosquirto
    8:16 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I would love to see either Teague or lamb come back but I just don’t see it. Lamb wanted out after his freshman year and teague doesn’t want to share playing time with harrow. Teague would do well to come back IMO just to show a full season of great ball. Lamb has nothing to prove. Jones inconsistency hurt him but he will still go 1st round. Go cats

16. Will
    8:16 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

nbadraft.net is terrible.

Draftexpress is much better and actually has info as to when guys are getting drafted.

17. Tennesse Wildcat
    8:21 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

DraftExpress looks to be a better judge of talent, as it surprises me that Lamb would be higher than Jones. I agree with #10 and #14 about the euro-influence that will undoubtedly be there somewhere, which will drop the players in the rankings a little more. Hopefully we can get Lamb or Teague back, but I am not counting on it. We’ll be all right either way. Cal will go out and get us at least one more guard and hopefully/likely Bennett, if Kidd-Gilchrist leaves.

18. gameday
    8:24 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I’m not a NBA GM but I highly doubt Ohio St. drafts Sullinger when PPat, Chandler Parsons, Scola, Kenyon Martin, and Marcus Morris on their roster. Seems like the last thing they need is a PF

19. SoulSnatcher
    8:31 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I don’t see the Kings drafting Drummond either

20. barn
    8:32 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

the osu is a pro team now?

21. 44 Stitches
    8:32 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

As someone who lives in Atlanta and goes to Hawks games a lot I would love it. Draft predictions are pointless till the ping pong balls drop and the draft order is set in stone. Plus the Hawks really need a center so we can let Horford play power forward.

22. In Cal We Trust
    8:35 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Teague would probably be smart to come back next year. I also agree that no NBA draft will have all USA college players at the top.

23. Wormzer
    8:36 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I love TJ, but I think he has some major holes in his game that will be more apparent in the pro’s. He’s strong and athletic, and he could get to the rim in college on occasion because of those assets, but in the pro’s he’ll have trouble doing that. This is where his jumper comes in, oh wait, he doesn’t really have one. If he had a midrange game, I would definitely want him if I were a GM, but as it stands, I think there are a limited number of teams that can use his limited skill set as an advantage. However, I doubt more college basketball will change him for the better. He is what he is, and the time to go is now. He;s not going to be a lottery pick, and like wouldn’t be if he graduated from UK. There’s nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.

24. kywildcat
    8:36 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

No way i would take trob over mkg

25. blueblue
    8:37 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Anybody know when the draft lottery is being held?

26. So
    8:41 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I think jones needs to come back one more year I dont think he is ready yet. I’m happy with whatever he chooses I love my cats

27. Mudcreekmark
    8:43 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know about Jones as a pro. He isn’t big enough to just back his man down and score over him. He has a hard time getting his shot off against college players. If he doesn’t learn how to dribble with his right hand, he will not score in the NBA. They will exploit this and stop his moves to his left.

28. thenamerobdigity
    8:47 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I think it is pretty clear that his disappearance in the middle of the season made a big difference.

29. Mudcreekmark
    8:48 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

4)Don’t agree at all with you about Kendall Marshall. He is the best passing point guard in a long long time. His basketball IQ is out of this world and he showed at the end of the year that not only can he pass the ball but he can also score the ball if he wants to. He will be a star.If John Wall was a little “slower” he may be a much better player than he is.

30. Justin
    8:50 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, why would the kings get Drummond with boogie there? And Utah picking two point guards? This is the worst mock draft ever!!!

31. Big Blue 66
    8:54 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

guys, how freakin big do you think a guy has to be, im mean jones is 6’9″ and 245 and is strong…he will be just fine in the NBA

32. CATS25
    8:55 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

this list is complete *^*%#*@%$^

there are no international players on here

jeremy lamb at #6 lol

33. jacob
    8:59 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

i think nbadraft.net is a terrible source espn has him at 10th

34. TJ's SowerTude
    9:00 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

…..and everyone forgot to mention my cra**y attitude.

35. catbalue
    9:01 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

As they appear now, most mock drafts share one serious flaw. They only show the U.S. college kids and fail to include the large number of European kids who will be drafted. Figure out who will be drafted from overseas if you want to have an accurate picture of what might actually happen on draft day.

36. Jack
    9:03 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

All I know is that if mkg ends up with the kings, I will be a huge kings fan. I already love them with boogie, Hayes, tyreke, and jimmer. Throw mkg into the mix. Oh my god

37. Brandon
    9:03 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

these mocks are terrible, they are far off every year. T Jones has no hops and is not athletic? did I just read that from a poster?
    I mean he is no Shawn Kemp but they kid is very athletic and blocked a ton of shots–including jump shots. The kid can get off his feet.

Drummond=bust if he gets picked top 5.

38. Brandon
    9:03 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

35, not many Euro prospects this year…

39. Brandon
    9:05 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Harrison Barnes sucks and should not be top 10.

40. josh
    9:05 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

myers leonard is my pick to flop, watched a few of their games he didnt impress

41. BigBlueSkyDog
    9:05 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Jones should be a top 10 pick after his great tournament run. He seems to have gotten his head on straight and really showed what a team player he is.

42. josh
    9:06 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I agree with 39 Barnes always looks like he is in pain

43. Elmer
    9:07 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Terrence Jones could always develop his game. Anyone can learn to shoot a jumper.

Wait a minute. The guy is a sophomore. In years past, it was common for players to improve and broaden their skills during 4 years of college. I don’t think that TJ has necessarily hit his ceiling.

I don’t really think that Teague is ready. Jones may not be ready. OTOH, it would be hard for Davis and MKG to turn down this kind of money. The decisions are harder for TJ, Teague and Lamb. I would like to see them return for another year, but if they could get millions, it might make better sense to leave.

I wish I had that kind of decision to make.

44. Skeps
    9:07 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I would T.J. over Kidd-Gilchrist anyday. Jones can score inside and outside. Hate to say it but I think Harrison Barnes would be a better pick over MKG at this point. MKG has to learn how to shoot.

45. Elmer
    9:09 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Good luck to all the Kentucky players, whatever they decide.

46. josh
    9:09 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I read the salon.com article Matt was talking about, the guy hated on KSR and drug Boones Butcher Shop into it.

47. Blueneck
    9:10 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

in the tourney they had Jones listed at 252, I don’t think he’s that big but he’s big enough, remember he is the same size as PPat but more athletic. He may be considered a tweener on some teams but it’s his versatility that will make him valuable. Guys getting drafted beyond the top ten are not expected to be all-stars just contributors. Luckily he should end up on a decent team that will only ask him to be a role player (again like PPat).

And yes, with no INTL players (probably because they don’t know who they will be) this is totally bogus and will push a lot of these guys down in the order. Plus, with the fact we don’t know where some teams in the 14 will pick it will allow some good players to fall (remember Paul Pierce) just do the fact that some high picking team may already have a star at that position.

For any of these guys, it’s all about getting on the right team. Who would have thought Jorts and Enes would contribute roughly the same to their teams in their first year?

48. Korean Tacos
    9:18 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

The other flaw in this projection is the Bobcats getting the #1 pick. Stein will make sure that the Hornets get the #1 pick to appease it’s new owner.

49. Adam
    9:28 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I can’t believe you’re using NBADraft.net for this article … umm, go to Draft Express, the site that actually has connections and resources ($$$), as opposed to being run out of someone’s parents’ basement. Sheesh, guys.

50. Trueukblue
    9:29 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Harrison Barnes number 5 is silly. Isn’t big enough and deffinately not athletic enough. TJ has way more potential than alot of these players.

51. snoopaloop
    9:34 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Harrison Barnes is going to be the star of Juwanna Mann 2

52. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    9:47 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Said it before and I’ll say it again. I just don’t see Jones making a real impact in the NBA. He struggled a lot getting his shot off in college, in college! The bigs in the NBA will eat him alive. Most of that mock draft looks bad. Maybe its just a down yr as far as talent goes, but this definitely a good yr to be coming out. MKG to me is a little high at 3. Drummond’s a bust for sure as is Barnes. Hell the only 3 players in the top 10 that I really think are locks for great careers, barring injuries, are Davis, Robinson and Beal.

53. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    9:49 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

And Perry Jones should be way higher than that. Top 5 in my opinion

54. 49 chevy
    9:57 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

If you take Zeller, Henson, Drummond and marshall over jones u get what u deserve. Dumb.

55. 49 chevy
    10:00 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

All of the unc dips went backwards. None got better.

56. gameday
    10:08 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

@ 20 Ooops meant didn’t see Houston drafting Sullinger.

57. Ironic
    10:26 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Are there no foreign players wanting to play in the NBA this year? I feel like there are always 2 or 3 in the top 20 at least.

58. Ridge Runner
    10:39 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

57…prolly but none of us can spell the names.

59. STEVE!
    10:48 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Four UNC players projected in the Top 16, and yet they didn’t even make the Final 4. Where are the stories about how they and Roy choked? If it had been UK, as in 2010, all we would see would be questions about how could a team with all those draft picks not win it all, and statements about how Cal can’t coach.

60. Big V
    11:52 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

If I was drafting common sense would have to come in to play. Will Tyler Zeller or Arnett Moultrie be better than Jones. I think that is crazy.Jones played with talented guys and that may have hurt his numbers.

61. The Crow
    12:29 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

How about TJ’s high school teammate Ross being projected one spot above him? Strange indeed. TJ was the Oregon Player of the Year twice for a reason.

62. Alejandro
    12:34 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

I don’t get it… Jones clearly established himself as a great player with even more room to grow and a key to kentuckys success this season and yet he’s only the 5th highest small forward prospect? With Harrison Barnes being considered higher? Jones could easily be in the top 3 of small forward prospects this season with MKG and perry jones, and possibly even the best. Barnes played weak the entire year

63. Stingbass
    1:47 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

NBADraft.net is terrible… It’s like they make up random rankings to be different.

64. RYNO
    9:49 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

I love they have Houston picking another PF with their first pick. That would make 12 I think.

65. snoopaloop
    2:51 pm April 17, 2012 Permalink

If Jared Sullinger is 6’10” then I am f*cking Wilt Chamberlain.