What are the best and worst case scenarios for Kentucky football?

There’s been a lot of talk about tempering expectations headed into Mark Stoops’ first season as head coach, with most predicting the Cats to get four wins. But, what are the best and worst case scenarios for Kentucky?

ESPN’s Edward Aschoff tackles that question in the video above, and his answers may surprise you. Aschoff says that he believes the Cats have the potential to make a bowl game, especially if they win the season opener against Western Kentucky. An even loftier goal? Upsetting Louisville, which Aschoff says isn’t out of the question. The worst case scenario? I’ll let him tell you about that one himself. Predictably, a lot of that will depend on what happens at quarterback and wide receiver.

24 Comments for What are the best and worst case scenarios for Kentucky football?

1. BigBlue
    10:48 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

Unfortunately, our depth in certain areas will kill our chances of making a bowl this year. We have no depth at RB, secondary defense and questionable depth at Receiver (depending on how true freshmen perform).

Should be a better season than last year though…

2. wildcat502
    10:56 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

As long as we do not have any major injuries, I see us winning 6. Willis and Quinn will be good at corner, but we cannot have them get hurt. Were good at running back, tight end, offensive line. Questions at quarterback and receiver. If those questions are answered, I see us averaging around 30 a game.
    Were good at tackle, ends, safety and middle linebacker. Questions at outside linebacker and corner. Again if answered, I see us winning 6.
    Beating Louisville isn’t out of the question. Especially if we can get pressure on Bridgewater consistently and have him rush his passes and NO turnovers or injuries.

3. NO MATT JONES
    11:01 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

We have Jonathan George, Raymond Sanders, Dyshawn Mobley, and JoJo Kemp. Plus the coaching staff already said they’ll be using Timmons some in the run game as well as receiving. NO DEPTH AT RUNNING BACK. NO DEPTH AT ALL!

4. Right!
    11:05 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

#3, Exactly! Not sure where these people get that we don’t have running backs.

5. CatGrad7072
    11:06 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

Best Case: Will all our games and the BCS Championship. Stoops gets a statue outside of CWS.
    Worst Case: Lose all our games while looking like Joker is still the coach. Stoops gets a hot seat.

6. Hollahollaholla
    11:09 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

5-7

7. BobKYCats
    11:19 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

We’ll probably have to depend on UofL doing what they usually do; losing to someone like UConn or SMU.

I think 4-8 is about the bar for us this year, wins over three non-conference opponents not named UofL, and sneaking a win from Mizzou or Miss St.

8. Caneyville Cat
    11:19 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

If we stay healthy in the secondary, linebacking corp, & offensive line I don’t think six wins is out of the question.

Here’s how I see our chances:

WKU-100% win

UL is the 4th/5th most beatable team UK plays this year

10. RICK
    11:36 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

BEST CASE, WIN THEM ALL, WORST CASE, LOSE THEM ALL

11. cracka
    11:38 am August 13, 2013 Permalink

teddy picked us apart last year because he just stood there and had all day to make a decision … hopefully this year we’ll see a few za’cs on him … come on, you know you like that!

ZA’C the quarterback!

12. Will
    12:05 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Dude almost threw up before mentioning Pat Towles’ name.

13. The Dude

@MSU-30% win
    A-STATE-99% win
    MIZZOU-50% win
    @VANDY-20% win
    @UGA-5% win
    UT-50% win

I predict 5-7. Win the 3 we’re supposed to, and then odds say we’ll get either Mizzou/ UT, and then one upset.

15. Off Week
    12:46 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

I think 6 wins is very doable. I think Louisville’s pre-season rating is too high and based solely on their bowl win at the end of the season.
    I like the way the schedule breaks up the early season with an off week after Louisville and Alabama. Not saying we’ll beat Florida but we should be competitive and I think the Thursday night game against Miss. St. is a better-than-even opportunity even though it is an away game. We should take Western, Miami, OH, Alabama State. If any more of Vandy’s players (read quarterback) are implicated in the rape scandal there, they will be much weaker than expected.

16. tom
    1:05 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

15. Could have some of that stuff you are smoking? (Just joking with you). but hope you are right

17. J in Orlando
    1:23 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

If we win all our non-conference games we are a little less than 50% to win another 2 imo. UL will be tough because our top talent are newcomers mostly and there is a learning curve…but yes thetheir ranking is overdone because they have the weakest schedule in BCS-program history…but once they lose they SHOULD drop out of all polls (and they will lose, they couldnt even get through the terrible big east without losses and got their ass handed to them by a below-average Cuse team)

18. Vegas
    1:23 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

You 6 plus wins guys are nuts. Vegas has our over/under win total at 3.5. About right. 4 wins will be a good year in Stoops’ first season. #8, just curious if you picked UK as a 100% win over WKU at HOME last year? No way is either WKU or Miami gimmes for this UK team. Look at the depth in secondary. We have a bunch of walkons on the depth chart. Not good. With a brutal schedule and facing physical SEC foes, the linebackers and secondary will be held together with a bandaid by mid season I fear! If stoops can beat the 3 weaker teams and upset one SEC foe, he is COY material with this roster.

19. maddogmitchell55
    2:02 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

If Nick Saban or Urban Meyer came to coach UK this year I would think UK could win 6 games and I think with either coach UK would beat Duh Ville. Duh Ville is the 6th best team UK plays. Florida, S. Carolina, Alabama, Vandy and Georgia are better IMO. Barring any unforeseen events such as injuries to key players, if the Cats beat Duh Ville then 6 wins is not out of the question. Lose to Little Brother, though, and 6 wins is still possible, but it leaves zero room for games where they don’t show up at all like the games against Arkansas and Vandy last season. When was the last time Alabama didn’t show up since Saban has been there? If Mark Stoops can coach and motivate as good as he can recruit then UK shows up ready to bust heads every single game and they will beat WKU, Miami-Ohio, Miss. St., Alabama St., Mizzou and UT. Good coaches can make that big of a difference. Look at Urban Meyer last year at Ohio St. They go undefeated after only winning 6-7 games the year before. I’m not saying Mark Stoops is as good as Urban Meyer or Nick Saban, but he just might be. We don’t know yet. Only time will tell. I know Stoops isn’t getting the five star guys like Saban and Meyer, but when they were coming up through the ranks like Stoops is doing now, they weren’t getting five star guys either. 6 wins would be super deluxe exciting. Heck, I’ll say five wins this season with the toughest schedule in the land would be something to be excited about, too.

20. Expectations
    2:03 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Vegas is wicked smaht.

I think five might not be outside the realm of hope, but four wins and competitive play would please me– ie only get blown out once or twice.

We are a four to five point favorite over WKU at this moment.

If a bowl happens, that’s great. But if you expect it, you’ve forgotten how bad last year’s team was.

21. Sgt. Jimmy
    3:18 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

#19 its fans like you and others that get good football coaches run off at UK. Alabama St., Miami-Oho with a possible upset of Mizzo. A win over either WKU or UL seems very unlikely. WKU has a wealth of playmakers with the only week spot being the DL. Plus they have the extra motivation of a head coach that hates UK with a few coaches from Jokers last staff that will be looking for a little pay back for what they saw as shabby treatment from the fans last year. UL crushed the third best program in the SEC in their last game. Enough said. I’ve heard Coach Stoops speak at several Nike coaching clinics and always came away very impressed. I believe he can build a winner at UK but BBN will have to give him time.

22. Off Week
    3:30 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

#18 – Never seen Vegas play. Who’s their coach? LOL
    Seriously, I believe the talent pool is a little better than last year showed and the off-season conditioning program will make a difference. If Vegas is so good we should lobby for them to replace the NCAA and BCS committee and set the bowl opponents and forget the season.
    #19 – I believe Duh-ville is going to struggle with our defensive front this year. Teddy may be on his “tushee” more than anyone thinks.
    #20 – I looked back at last year’s scores and yes, it was bad. Yes, the schedule was not as tough as this year’s. But, I remember watching the players “gassed” and giving up in the third quarter. The only game they gave a consistent effort seemed to be Georgia. If Duh-ville can be judged a top 10 team because of winning against Florida while losing to weaker opponents, maybe we can have some hope that the talent level is not as low as the “sports gurus” tell us based on the Georgia game.
    Anyway, I can hardly wait for kickoff. It may be a bumpy ride, but it’s gonna be fun!

23. maddogmitchell55
    6:12 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

21. Fans like me who get good football coaches run off at UK? I’m trying to figure out if you were being facetious. BTW, I too, believe Coach Stoops can build a winner at UK.

24. Tampa Satchel
    7:48 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Anyone who says we win 6 or we are 100% against WKU is high, but if we go bowling, I’m happy to smoke up!