What about Alex Poythress (and Nerlens Noel)?

alex-poythress1

An hour ago, we found out that Willie Cauley-Stein will return to school next season and that Archie Goodwin will go pro. However, the decisions we didn’t hear may be more surprising. Alex Poythress is currently still weighing his options on whether or not to go pro or return, and although he’s projected by many to be the number one pick in the draft, Nerlens Noel has yet to make an announcement on his future.

Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com says that he’s heard that Poythress is still collecting information about his draft stock and is leaning towards going pro, but nothing is official yet. On one hand, if Alex decides to come back and improve his game, he will have to fight for minutes and prove to Cal that his passive attitude on the court is a thing of the past. On the other hand, several mock drafts still project him to be a first round pick in the weakest draft in recent memory. So basically, Alex has this choice: improve at UK under Cal, or get drafted and improve in what will likely be the D-League and work your way up? Which do you take a chance on?

As for Noel, Cal has said that he will make his decision based on his rehab status, and since he only had his surgery a few weeks ago, there’s probably not that much information one way or the other so far. April 16th is the deadline for players to enter the draft or or give up their eligibility. If Noel’s rehab goes well, you have to think that he will declare; being the projected number one pick in the draft doesn’t happen everyday, especially with next season’s crop of superstars lining up in the wings. No one would fault Nerlens for deciding to go pro.

What do you make of the delay in Alex and Nerlens’ decisions?

89 Comments for What about Alex Poythress (and Nerlens Noel)?

1. yay
    1:01 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

First!!

2. _
    1:03 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

don’t go AP

3. Musehobo
    1:03 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I’d guess they are both gone, but I’d love to have either of them back.

4. Not Jerry Tipton
    1:04 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

This does not bode well for kentucky…

5. ChicagoCat
    1:05 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

The real story here is how ridiculous the early deadline is. It really is shameful and gives the kids almost no reasonable time to weigh their decision, especially in Nerlen’s case.

6. What a joke
    1:06 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

These guys better enjoy the D league. Would any of these guys be discussing the NBA if they weren’t at UK?

7. Han
    1:06 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Getting 1 of the 4 back is lucky, but I’d really like to have Poythress back for experienced depth.

By the way, Powerade Jam Fest etc. is tonight at 9 on ESPNU. Rumor is Wiggins and Gordon will be in it. Don’t know about the 3-point contest, but surely one of our guys will be in it.

8. Bill Says
    1:06 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

We need Cauley-Stein and Archie, the rest we can live without. Cauley-Stein and Archie please come back.

9. Kevin Ware's Leg
    1:07 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Billy Packer said I was trying to kick Wojo and Coach K. on the sideline and that I deserved it.

10. Bill Says
    1:07 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

We are putting way too much faith in freshmen. i don’t care how good they are we need some exsperience.

11. Lane
    1:08 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

8. Willie is coming back, Archie already said he is going pro.

12. Porcino's
    1:10 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

He’s not ready for the NBA. Simple as that.

13. dpvatty
    1:10 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

So what wast the story on the radio today about Harrow. I didn’t get a chance to listen to it.

14. BigBlueBuckeye
    1:10 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I think Noel should go, although another year to develop his offensive game would definitely improve his pro career longevity. As for Goodwin and Poythress, I don’t think either are ready for the NBA at this time. There is no dispute that both of them have the skill in the long run to succeed, but neither have the maturity. Goodwin can get to the basket as well as anyone but lacks mental toughness and control. Poythress hasn’t shown any toughness for entire games, and to be honest at times forgot he was even on the team. They both need to stick around and play an entire season of 40 minute games, displaying toughness, control, desire, and maturity. Wiltjer and WCS have made wise decisions. Either way, I wish Goodwin, Poythress, and Noel luck in the NBA if they choose to go.

15. Delk for 3
    1:10 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

This is the first year when I could care less about who is leaving or staying. I haven’t even paid it much thought. I’m just ready for guys who can actually hoop to join the team. All that stated, Alex Poythress will become quite beastly as he gets older and has to go up against the guys on next year’s team.

16. Humble opinion
    1:11 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I would really like to see Alex come back and really develop. I don’t think anyone can label his freshman season as a success and I would hate see him toil in the D League & end up playing overseas. He has NBA talent, but last year revealed he hasn’t quite developed the maturity or work ethic to be NBA ready. It’s not a bash, that’s just simply what freshman do. I spent my freshman year learning how to drink to blackout w/o vomiting on my date. We all have our strengths to develop….

17. Spenser
    1:12 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Has there been any mention of Derek Willis or Dominique Hawkins (assuming he commits) redshirting their first years? We already have adequate depth for this year, they could still partake in the most competitive practices college basketball has ever seen, and they would also allow another year for their bodies to mature.

Also, how many minutes do you think Wiltjer is going to get next year? I don’t see him playing a whole lot over Randle, WCS, Johnson, or Lee. Maybe 5 minutes per game…

18. BigRush
    1:13 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

@ 6. I do believe these guys would be looking at the NBA if they went to any school. The NBA scouts have had their eye on these guys for years. This isn’t “just” a UK thing. Last years draft featured mostly under classmen players. This won’t change until the NBA changes their rules on eligibility.

19. Bill Says
    1:13 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie is the hustle guy but needs to work on his shot. Plus, he’s pretty good on defense. We aare looking at Louisville repeating next year if Dieng comes back. We need experience, period.

20. BravoBigBlue
    1:14 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

If Poythress declares for the NBA draft, it will be a huge mistake. I can’t believe he is seriously considering it. He will certainly be a one and done. One NBA contract (for playing 2 years in the D League) and then his career is done. This guy doesn’t have a clue what it takes to succeed at Kentucky, much less the NBA. If he leaves, we’ll be fine without him. But it’s to his benefit to come back.

21. UK Fan
    1:15 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Could it be that Cal is pushing Poythrees out the door to get Wiggins AND Gordon? Supposedly Gordon’s decision is going to “shock the world”. Going anywhere else wouldn’t be a shock.

22. agreed
    1:15 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

10..I couldn’t agree more. We need AP back for the depth and experience. I only hope one of these freshman have the vocal leadership or WCS steps up and fills that role. Need a floor leader.

23. Han
    1:17 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

20) He might be thinking his stock can only drop, especially if he has to come off the bench.

21) They all say they’re going to shock the world.

24. None Ya
    1:17 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

AP deciding for the draft is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. He’s not even close to being ready and he might never be. No one the D League is going to give two wits about him compared to Cal. Staying and playing at least another year (or two) for Cal is his best chance to ever make it in the NBA.

25. Jughead
    1:19 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Poythress is not the “depth” or “experience” that I want to watch next year. This year was painful enough.

26. Bill Says
    1:19 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

We need and experienced 2 guard next year. Archie please come back.

27. Syrin
    1:20 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Here’s what I think is going to happen. I think Poythress will declare as his minutes will not be there next year, and his chances of making it to the NBA get slim. I think Nerlens will RETURN as he has already proven himself to be a game changing defender, and that will get him taken high in the NBA draft in ANY year, but the chance to win a national collegiate championship is a once in a lifetime opportunity staring him in the face. He has stated several times he wants to win a championship, and he knows this team will be the favorite. I’m sure he doesn’t want his UK career to end the way it did, AND if the Cards win it all, and he sees what it means in Ky, it may fuel his fire to return. The fact that he hasn’t ALREADY declared is why I think he’s coming back unless he’s just agent shopping.

28. Syrin
    1:21 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

#26 – we need shooters

29. Biglaw Dawgin'
    1:21 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

With the uncertainty of an ACL injury and the guarantee he’ll be a top-3 pick now, Noel has to go. It would be awesome to have him back though. Poythress should come back. He’s definitely not ready for full time in the NBA, and the D-League is where desire goes to die. He should stick around UK for at least another year. The competition at his position will be nothing but good for him.

30. None Ya
    1:21 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

We all thought Archie would enter the draft. He has the three things all the other NBA’ers have: immaturity, selfishness and a tad bit of talent. He’ll fit in quite nicely

31. Mattcat68
    1:21 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

From a business point of view, Nerlens has to enter the draft. If you’re a consensus top 3 pick in a weak draft, why in the world would you come back to college and risk re-injury? You don’t.

32. Jughead
    1:21 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

He needs to enter if he realistically will be a 1st rounder. Ain’t gonna happen next year.

33. doc
    1:21 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

After Ware’s injury and with Archie going, Alex is most likely going as well. The suprise news of the year can be Gordon committing to uk tomorrow. This is getting interesting!
    The sentiment is if “you get hurt you get nothing” and I don’t disagree. Is poythress draft stock going to increase that much by staying?

34. RahRah
    1:23 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Really happy that Willie & Kyle will return next season. I wish Archie all the best and would have loved to see him develop and excel next year. He is going to be an amazing player.

Hope WCS is hitting the gym and working on those foul shots all off-season long. lol

35. Bill Says is a tard
    1:23 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Hey, “Bill Says”, the article you have chosen to comment on clearly states that Archie is leaving. #Tard

36. Al B. Frank
    1:24 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Alex should stay. Nerlens should go. I’d love to have Noel back, but it would be in his best interest to go now.

37. ukbass
    1:24 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I have no ill intent towards Alex at all. But he is not even a good college player yet. He needs to stay until he is ready. I wish him well which is why I don’t want him to go. As of today he would get embarrassed in NBA.

38. shouto
    1:24 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

39. rc
    1:27 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

yeah I wish they would come back but u cant blame them, if your an 18 year old kid an u was offered millions of dollars you would leave an take the money, next year they cant make there stock draft better, they better take it now and go higher in the draft

40. theSkinny81
    1:28 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Alex needs another year. It’s the difference between staying and visiting the NBA… I understand going for the money, especially if your a Wall, Davis, Rose, (aka Top 5 pick) etc… but it’s almost become a “race” now to see who can get to the NBA the fastest. Remember, a lot of GREAT NBA players played 2-3-4 years in college too.

41. Stan
    1:28 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I am still a little gun-shy about believing what you write today

42. not just a UK thing
    1:29 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

we really have to get out of our heads, that this is just a UK thing. To echo what some have said above, this is an issue all schools and top notch players face. ALL THE MORE an issue when you go after (AND GET) the best recruits each year. 50 freshmen have gone into NBA draft the last 6 years. Though we’ve had 9, other schools have had multiple guys do it as well (Ohio State 5, Kansas, KState, Ga Tech, etc). 50 over 6 years is 8.5/year…or more than 20% of the US college players drafted each year.

Average draft
    25% (~15 foreign players each year, many that never play a game in NBA)
    55% (~ 35 Sophs/Juniors/Seniors)
    20% (~9 freshmen. Its not just a UK thing. Its a “my-god-the-NBA-pays-much-better-than-the-ZERO-dollars-I’m-making-in-college” thing)

43. boogie
    1:32 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I just don’t think Alex Poythress has the quickness to stay in front of NBA small forwards yet. There is no questioning Poythress’ strength or elevation but he still has trouble grasping the X’s and O’s of the game. Weak players capitalize on weak draft classes. Some call it smart, but to me its running from hard work. Stick around and work on post moves, footwork, defense, and tune that jumpshot and NBA teams will want you instead of picking you by default. You cant live life hoping you don’t get injured, just because you saw somebody get injured yesterday.

44. Shawn UKFan in Bama
    1:32 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

@ 19. Louisville will not repeat next year, even if Dieng comes back. They are so good this year because they have the best and quickest gaurd play in the country hands down. We beat essentially the same team because we had AD in the middle and solid gaurd play to mathch up defensively with Smith and Siva. Their gaurd play will be no where near as good or proficient next year. #9 for UK in 2013-14!

45. dpvatty
    1:33 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

46. dpvatty
    1:34 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

So what was the story on the radio today about Harrow. I didn’t get a chance to listen to it.

47. theSkinny81
    1:34 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

43 – Well said. Totally agree.

48. William Braskey
    1:37 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Why is anyone faulting these guys for wanting to go this year? Are they ready, not really. But staying next year isn’t going to improve their draft stock. More than likely, Alex or Archie would have to wait until the 2015 draft if they stay. Good for us, not necessarily good for them. Doron came back and got his ring, but he’s no more likely to stay on an NBA roster than Goodwin is. The difference is Goodwin is going to get 1st round guaranteed money this year.

49. Rothchild
    1:42 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Guys, may as well consider Noel gone. The “smart” move is to leave. He is projected top 5 pick even with the injury. He SHOULD go. If he comes back and isn’t quite what he was this year, he would have blown the chance for top 5 money next year. If he goes this year, as he’s projected (top 5), and doesn’t recover well from his injury…. he’s already got his contract. He’s set. There is just too much risk in returning to school.
    Also, if he’s thinking about coming back and going for the #1 pick next year…… remember Wiggins. Of course, there is still the “sentimental” angle. He may want a ring. But, at the end of the day, smart people will tell him the chance at getting a ring has the potential of cosingt him MILLIONS of dollars in lost draft stock, if he doesn’t recover well. Returning to school just doesn’t make sense for Noel.

50. UKBlue
    1:44 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Archie & Alex will more than likely never even play in an NBA game; neither one of these two are good enough yet. Throwing the ball off the top of the goal or trying to run through 2 people & just throwing the ball in the air & Alex just giving up doesn’t go over to well in the NBA. Yea they may make some money on their first contract, but they will both be out of the NBA after 3 years.

51. davefromdagap
    1:49 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Its crazy to think that either would go after watching them this season. If they go niw(Archie obviously us)I fear they have little chance of success. Say what you want, a kid is so much better off long term, to develop at the college level. Those $$$ look good up front…what about 5 years down the road.

52. not just a UK thing
    1:56 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

43-boogie: until NBA scouts and personnel start drafting on actual ability, and not “potential” or “upside”, I think it’ll almost always make sense to go (IF YOUR A FIRST-ROUNDER), than stay. There are many a guy who stay thinking they will get better…they actually GET BETTER, and they still fall in draft (either because a draft is strong or just because a guy is a year older). Other times, a guy stays level (stock drops because their is more negative on tape and now a year older)….or a guy maybe gets worse (and stock status becomes non-existent). Although a lot of experts are saying that Mason Plumlee got substantially better over his senior year,, yet his draft stock has dropped (in a very weak draft). Thats how much the NBA cares about actual skills and funadamentals.

53. Mitch
    1:58 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Man, after hearing this I am really starting to think UK gets both WIGGINS and GORDON. Gordon spoke glowingly about UK today at the McDonald’s press conference and Evan Daniels mentioned this morning his decision “shocked” his parents. Just reading the tea leaves here…Wiggins/Gordon in, Goodwin/Poythress out. Just a guess, we’ll see how it plays out…

54. theSkinny81
    2:00 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

52 – I agree slightly, but I’ll make this quick: Gilbert Arenas was a second round pick. His contract was worth $111 million I believe. Micheal Redd, second round, $91 million. My point, if you’re READY for the NBA, you can make money. I

55. NoelFlatTop
    2:00 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I declare!

56. JeffInGeorgetown
    2:02 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Alex has probably not been out of the bed since the Robert Morris game.

57. Cory
    2:04 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Anyone of you who says “So-and-so is dumb for going pro, they aren’t ready, yada yada yada.” are hilarious. Have you never taken a job that pays more money that maybe you didn’t fully fit but wanted the challenge and the ability to gain more experience?

Anyone who goes pro is going to play against better talent, even in the D league, than they will in college. And they will be in an NBA system gaining experience. Oh and they will be making millions of dollars.

Not going pro when you are guaranteed money is like winning a million dollar jackpot and saying “no thanks, i want to try my shot at the 100 million dollar jackpot instead”.

58. John Ellis
    2:06 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Based on his play this year, Alex isn’t ready for UK or the NBA. At least in the NBA he’d be paid to sit on the bench. As for Nerlens, if he comes back, then instead of UK winning by an average of 20 it will be 30.

59. Jim
    2:11 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

PLEASE Poythress, LEAVE and take Wiltjer with you, I would even buy the plane tickets….LOL

60. jumpman78
    2:12 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

30. You obviously don’t watch the NBA. Quit hating.

61. theSkinny81
    2:13 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

57 – But what if you get fired from that job? lol. It’s a complex subject. I understand why you would go, but I don’t think it would HURT Alex to stay.

62. Boogie
    2:13 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

52.) I think that argument works when talking about a center or post player but when talking about a 6’7 small forward potential doesn’t always cut it. Carmelo Anthony wasn’t the only 6’8 wing player in his class and he was never very explosive or very fast and to this day can’t defend. But he can put the ball in the bucket on anybody in any situation. He was drafted for what he could do. Marquis Teague didnt have the same draft stock at the beginning of the season and at the end. Because he showed he can play. He had the same potential but potential is just guessing and hoping. Showing you can do it will always be seen as more than potential

63. lol
    2:15 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

19 – Are you serious? Dieng isn’t coming back and Louisville will be nowhere near as good next season. All I’d be worried about is a Behanan/Harrell frontcourt.

64. STEVE!
    2:19 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

If Alex is a 1st-Rounder, and if I was a NBA General Manager, I would be doing everything I could to trade my 1st Round pick for either an established player or another pick in next year’s round, because Alea wasn’t even among the best 15-20 players in the SEC this year, much less the world. I think Alex will eventually be a very good college player, but taking him in the draft this year would be a waste of money and a pick.

65. asdf
    2:22 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I genuinely like Poythress’ game when he plays with fire. He has a lethal ability to finish at the rim when he really wants to. But he’s obviously still very raw on the mental aspects of the game. How is he going to be able to develop drive while languishing in the D-League? Does even he think he’s enough of a “self-starter” to accomplish that, if he’s honest with himself? but a year being next year’s Terrence Jones would allow him to complete his game both on the court and between the ears.

66. bbr
    2:22 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Cory – It doesn’t really work like that with the NBA though. AP would not be taking a job. He would be trying to make a team. First, he has to convince a team to take him. Then, if successful, he has to convince a team to let him play with the big boys rather than riding around on rinky dink busses in the midwest playing against men with a chip on their shoulder in front of 500 people max. He has to make sure not fail and get lost in the shuffle along the way because once he soils his reputation along the way he will be a forgotten commodity. I’m not predicting this would happen but it is a possible scenario that you and I typically do not face in our jobs. The NBA is a visible fraternity and if you flop because you are not ready for the challenge you are normally done for while they bring in fresh new talent each year. You screw up on your job and chances are you can go somewhere else and your new employer will have no idea how bad you were on your last job.

67. Elijah Smith
    2:29 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Poythress shouldn’t go. He needs to stay at least 2 more seasons just to mature and possibly get a higher pick in a few years.

68. bbr
    2:30 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

“Hmmm, getting paid a million per year for three years to work on my game in the d league or getting nothing to work on my game part time, go to classes that aren’t an important thing right now. I understand why he would go now as in the next draft he maybe in the 2nd round of draft picks with no 3 year guarantee.”

Hmmm, I’m going to invest in my future rather than take the quick hit now. First round draft picks do not get 3 years guaranteed – they get two. Years three and four are option years that the team can pick up or not. Develop in the D-League. Yeah, the best and brightest coaches would certainly be in the D-League where they make paltry dollars, providing those players with excellent training and instruction

69. brain
    2:30 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

NN is #1 so he’s gone. AP needs to stay for 3 years, get his degree and win a couple of NCs. He will be more mentally ready and have a chance to go higher in the 15 draft.

70. brain
    2:32 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Stop with the red shirt crap. Call doesn’t do red shirts until the 5th year if then.

71. UKBlue1!
    2:36 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Poythress, WCS and Wiltjer= Jones, Miller, and Lamb. I think they are huge key to UK having any chance at making a run next season. I also hope Calipari beefs up the schedule. I really don’t care how many losses we take in the beginning of the year. I think we will go 18-0 or 16-2 in conference worse case. M St.,Prov, Bay, NC and UL. It would be nice to add at least 1 or 2 more quality opponents.

72. Tt
    2:43 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

See ya, don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

73. catsfan1965
    2:44 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

People should stop comparing this year’s freshmen to next years. First last years HS class was not nearly as talented as this years. Second, Goodwin was not a top-10 player in a weaker class and AP was a 4-star recruit until he impressesd in the McD AA game. Young is ranked higher than either Goodwin or AP (depending on which list) and he will come off the bench likely. Cal gets the best recruits he can get and lets the rest work itself out. Would you rather patiently wait like IU to put together a championship caliber team that then gets bounced in the sweet 16. When Oladipo and Zellar declare IU will be back at square one. Or maybe you would rather have a starting lineup of Cook, Sulaimon, Parker, Hood, and Marshall Plumlee like Duke? Answers itself. Cal will give us a chance to win it all every freaking year and some ppl are still complaining.

74. Alex Poythress
    2:46 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I think I will stay so that BBN will have someone to continue hating. Then, I’ll read the comments on KSR.

75. Katdaddy
    2:47 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Poythress and goodwin will be in d- league longer than Eric Daniels!

76. Kelkat
    3:08 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

None of these guys…including Nerlens is ready for the NBA. BUT…they all have upside. IMO of readiness:

1. Nerlens can be a defensive presence right from the beginning…so he can get some game time minutes. He has a motor and showed more leadership and maturity then the others. His offense will improve.

2. Archie’s game translates better to the NBA…he can get to the rim….he will need to work on his mid range jumper and free throw shooting. Imagine Archie pulling up and shooting a 10′ jumper instead of going wrecklessly at the rim.

3. Willie…has great size and atheletic ability. Lacks offenseive skill set but looks like that can be developed with him.

4. Alex…well, when he decides to play…he can play with anyone BUT…we all seen how often that happened. He’s probably the biggest head scratcher of them all…

77. Jim
    3:10 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

#74 your probably right, you cannot handle playing at UK…its best that you go to Georgia State with Harrow….

78. David
    3:16 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Personally, I am glad that Goodwin is going as I never liked his selfish behavior this past season. As far as Alex, I hope he stays because I see so much potential in this young man. However, I really don’t believe any of them should leave because they are simply not ready for the NBA.

79. TheSadTruth
    3:20 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Poythress better hope his info is correct…I just don’t see anyone drafting him at this point. If you are going to be a SF who can’t shoot or dribble, and you have a bad motor, then what exactly are you bringing to the table? He will go straight to the D league, and if thats what he wants, then fine go.

80. Asking
    3:27 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

They have to put their names in for draft eligibility in April but they have until June to withdraw it. As long as they don’t get an agent can’t they just wait till then and let stock/knee rehab play out? Then withdraw if needed. Or am I mistunderstanding teh June deadline for withdraw? http://www.hoopsworld.com/key-nba-dates

81. Asking
    3:32 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

OK I looked it up, should have before posting, it is April 16th to maintain college eligiblity…then why have the June withdraw date?

82. Brian
    3:46 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

78. Dad?

83. Steve
    4:10 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Smartest move KSR made all day was turning the comments section off for the Barry Obama handshake with John Wall. ESPN has learned that they lose 1/2 their mod staff whenever they publishing something about the Spender-In-Chief.

84. Tampa Satchel
    4:20 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

I would love to see all of them return. This year was a letdown and I would like to think they would be up for improving their legacy by contributing to possibly the best college team ever. The talent on this team is probably better than any D league team they would join, plus you travel like kings at UK and paupers in the D league.

85. LA
    4:58 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

how do players who were not good college ball players think they are ready for the pros? and what is wrong with a gm thinking about wasting a first round pic on archie or alex? very unlikey they make a roster and may spend years in the d league if they last that long.

86. Lil c
    5:54 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Poythress is ” leaning towards going pro?” HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAJAHAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAVAVAGAAGAGSHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAFFAAFFAFAFAFAHAHAHAHAHAAKAKAKAKAKAHAHAHAHAHAHA…………………..Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

87. Professional Scout
    6:19 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Alex Poythress should declare for High School (and take that limp game with him).

88. C-A-T-S
    6:29 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Calm down on all this hate towards Poythress. He’s a kid and thought he would walk in here, play half ass and go pro. He is probably gonna do that, but mark it down that this kid is very good. I would say 24,000 people screaming at him after the first 5 times he made a freshman mistake rattled the poor kid. I didn’t understand his lack of effort, but he did represent UK and will always be a Cat. BBN never wish a kid to go. Who knows…..he may be the best thing ever when all that potential shines through in 2 years.

89. BG Cat Fan
    6:42 pm April 1, 2013 Permalink

Really tough situation when you look at it objectively – play for free, fight for playing time, maybe improve your ability but not improve your draft status because next year will be a lot more competitive than this year, or get a bonus, get paid to play in the D League, and maybe move up in a year or 2 depending on how that works.

If I was first round, I would take the more sure route.