What A Great Night To Be A Wildcat

[Ed. Note: To coincide with the UK Sports Network’s replay of the 2011 Kentucky-Ohio State Sweet 16 game, KSR is sharing posts from that night, including the original comments. Enjoy.]

Wow.  What a feeling.  I’ve been trying to think of a bigger win for the Cats in the last ten years or so and I can’t come up with one.  Kentucky entered the game in the rare role of an underdog and they had the closest thing to a dominant team in the tournament on the opposing sideline.  What resulted was a beautifully complete performance that was as gutsy as we’ve seen.  There’s a lot to celebrate and a lot of time to do it.  But first, a few quick notes…

– In what has been a series of outstanding performances, Josh Harrellson stood the tallest when faced with his biggest individual challenge Friday night in Newark.  Kentucky’s hopes for a victory hinged on his tattooed shoulder blades and he did more than just not get torched or commit fouls.  Josh Harrellson starred.  Though Jared Sullinger had 21 points and 16 rebounds, Harrellson’s 17 and 10 carried a heavier impact for a team that desperately needed someone to step up in the first half and was getting little from their star players.  His defense down the stretch was excellent (smacking the ball out on the final play was brilliant) and when he spiked the ball off of Sullinger like it was an elementary dodgeball game, the message was sent.  Kentucky wasn’t backing down.  After the game, Calipari said “I have done this a long time and I am not sure that I have ever been this proud of a young man”.  You’d be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn’t feel the same way.  In fact, on two separate occasions, I nearly woke my wife up for the sole purpose of conceiving a child and naming him Joshua Harrellson Beisner.  I love that kid.

– Just as Josh Harrellson stepped up when his team needed him most, DeAndre Liggins was phenomenal in playing the role of defensive mindfreak and attacking Jon Diebler when he was matched up with him offensively.  Liggins finished with 15 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 blocks, but did big work late in the game when his team was still looking for someone to step up.  He either scored or assisted on 11 of UK’s last 16 points and pushed UK ahead by three points with two free throws and a jumper before Diebler hit a trifecta and set up Knight’s final shot.  Much like Harrellson, his evolution as a player has mirrored this team’s improvement down the stretch and it’s a wonderful thing.  Here’s hoping he told Sullinger to “Smile now” after the game.

– It wasn’t his finest night, but again Brandon Knight played the role of stone-cold killer with a game-winner.  All year, Brandon Knight talked confidently about his ability to take and make the big shots, even after some didn’t fall for him.  All game, you knew the shots were going to fall and when the final jumper left his hands, you knew it was going in.  Brandon Knight just has that “it” factor late in the game.  He can miss the first 20 shots of the game, but he won’t waver.  He has an NBA mentality in that sense and his teammates know it.  You give me any team in the country matched up with Brandon Knight in the game’s final possession and I’m taking Knight.  He’s just a killer like that. It’s also worth noting that with his final game-winning shot, he passed John Wall for the single-season freshman scoring record.

– All week long, we talked about how UK would need to execute on a number of things to have a shot to win the game.  Friday night, they executed as flawlessly as they have all season.  They contested Ohio State’s jumpers and clogged the middle on drives, holding the Buckeyes to only 32.8% from the field.  The held the Buckeyes’ X-factor, William Buford, to nine points on 2-16 shooting.  Josh Harrellson kept Jared Sullinger from exploding.  Offensively, they hit their three-point shots and found some contributions from their veterans.  Save for a lack of production from their freshmen, it was essentially a perfect game.  If you’re purely looking at defense, that’s exactly what it was.  For a team that struggled with execution in the conference slate of games, it’s another sign of the growth that’s making them a force in late March.  I have a feeling the coaches are very, very happy.  Good work on that gameplan, Robic.

– Speaking of defense, the Cats blocked 11 shots.  Eleven.  For a team that lacks a pure shot-blocker, the number was phenomenal and a testament to the commitment to team defense.  Outstanding stat.

– All season we’ve heard about Kentucky’s freshmen and the concerns about them not having the type of big game experience that can often make a difference in March.  That’s not the case any longer.  Friday was a Final Four-like environment in Newark and the Cats rose to the test.  Both teams probably shouldn’t have been playing each other this early in the tournament, but the big matchup made for bigger emotions and a bigger stage.  And Kentucky prevailed.  Calipari has always said that he doesn’t feel like freshmen are still freshmen at this point.  After Friday’s win, it’s hard to classify anyone on this roster lacking in tournament experience.  And when facing a UNC squad that cruised easily against Marquette, that could make a huge difference.

– We won’t get too much into this because I don’t want to be the guy that complains, but the officiating was perplexing for a majority of the game.  There was an odd technical on Calipari, which could have made an enormous difference had the Buckeyes converted on the free throws and ensuing possession, but the most frustrating thing seemed to be the inconsistency in the charge/block calls.  We’ve seen it all year across all of college basketball and, unfortunately, it seems like nothing will change without a massive embarrassment in the Final Four of some kind, so Kentucky will have to play through it like everyone else.  But, it’s frustrating to say the least.  Having said that, though, the Cats responded well after five guys were saddled with two fouls in the first half, including Terrence Jones getting two before your second beer was opened.  Playing through those things is a sign of maturity.  See a theme here?

– Kentucky was able to take advantage of the Liggins/Diebler matchup offensively and tried to get Darius going on the block again, but it was the pick-and-roll that proved to be a deadly weapon for them.  Josh Harrellson seems to have mastered the art and benefited greatly with a variety of dunks and layups (one of them a running floater).  What we’ve seen over the past few games is an ever evolving offensive repertoire, which is making them increasingly difficult to match up with.  Without a true scorer outside of Knight, those things are very valuable.  Friday, the pick-and-roll was a thing of beauty.

– Don’t look now, but we finally found a reason for the SkyCam.  The postgame victory shot.  Otherwise, keep it locked up somewhere.

– On a personal note, I experienced both the highest and lowest point of my Twitter existence.  Seriously, Mr. B? United Kingdom?  C’mon, man.  Wrong UK.

That’s it for now.  We’ll be back in the morning (or, later, I suppose) with more on the greatness that was Friday night and what to expect for Sunday.  Make sure you join us.  It’s going to be fun.  In the meantime, let’s appreciate one freshman who had his “A” game going all night.  Get ’em, Stacey!

stace-poole-ohio-state

See you in a few…

Article written by Thomas Beisner

98 Comments for What A Great Night To Be A Wildcat

1. BillyB6917
    2:10 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

2. first
    2:14 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

first!!

3. WhatHappensInVargasStaysInVargas
    2:15 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

J-OR-T-S! Jorts! Jorts! Jorts!

4. JeffCat
    2:16 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Two points. 1) The upperclassmen have taken control of this team and it’s destiny. Jorts, Miller and Liggins are etching their names into Wildcat lore and the last two still have another year with us. 2) Jorts smothered Sullenger. The majority of Sullenger’s points came from the free throw line or when Jorts had to slide over to stop the ball and Sullenger was waiting on the weak side to gather the rebound and put it back in. Sullenger is a great player but you have to admit either one of two things: Either Sullenger isn’t as great as we thought or Jorts deserves to be mentioned with the best post men in the country. I’ll opt for the latter.

5. zxcv
    2:17 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

DeAndre Liggins is who we all wanted Kelenna Azubuike to be.

6. Ephesians 2:8-9
    2:17 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I told you Ohio State is a football school!!! GO BLUE!!!!

7. zxcv
    2:18 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

… All Tarzan, no Jane!!!

8. JBR
    2:21 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Anybody want to do a little deandre “trash talkin” for UK…Gene Smith, athletic director for The Ohoio State University, was also the chair of the NCAA selection committee that gave us the LAST #4 seed, in his team’s bracket…maybe he thought we would be an easy (with a big name) win for his boys…well, here is the email for his office…it is public record, so just making it a little easier for you, you know, in case you would like to drop him a line thanking him for the publicity, or maybe advice for his football issues…[email protected]

9. bigbluefan
    2:22 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I’m so wound up I can’t sleep. I love it. 🙂

10. Jimmy Dykes Vocabulary
    2:27 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Yes, Jared Sullinger had 21 and 16, but a bulk of those 21 and 16 were against Jones, not Jorts. HARRELLSON FOR GOVNA!

11. an ode to boogie
    2:27 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

With a swag as pure as Peter Parker,
    and a game that fits his name.
    Your the type of person and a player,
    to bring Lexington the fame.
    Backing down the opponent in the block,
    is where your needed most.
    we can see you juke your mans jock,
    when we are going coast to coast.
    We know the miles are many,
    from your family you are apart.
    Understand one thing thats plenty,
    is the love in a UK fans heart.
    For a team with so much talent,
    and a coach not far from great.
    We’ll need you when we reach our peak,
    Thats right, it’s title eight.
    So you chose to rep our state,
    may God be with you here.
    But to see you maximize your skillz,
    Calipari’s blue you wear.

12. el hombre juan
    2:28 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

did anybody see that old guy in the suit and tie fold his arms and shake his head when jorts threw the heater at sullinger? cracked me up amigo. go cats!

13. Carl
    2:30 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Totally agree about the defense. Not everyone had a great night offensively but OSU had something to do with that. They tried to neutralize the 3 they thought would beat them. Josh and Deandre took care of the scoring…but it was the team effort on defense that won the game and that’s exactly what we’ll need again on Sunday….then next Saturday and the Monday after that :).
    I think Josh set the tone when he stuffed Sullenger’s first shot and we ended getting the ball on alternate possession.
    Great game for all the cats except maybe Jon Hood; you couldn’t have got a toothpick up his bung hole he looked so tight :). Just kidding Jon; loosen up take a few shots.

GO CATS !!

14. JDWest
    2:30 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Great game. I love this team. Final four makes them legends. Jorts’ jersey needs to be hanging in the rafters when his career ends.

15. JeffCat
    2:31 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

What did Ricky P say about us on ESPN? Too bad Charles Barkley wasn’t there to tell him to eat his heart out.

16. Can't sleep
    2:32 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Best win since 98. I’m lovin me some jorts and liggins. I love players who step up in big games and aren’t affraid.

17. JDWest
    2:33 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

We are Kentucky!

18. el hombre juan
    2:33 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

JORTS/BARKLEY ’12 CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN!

19. DeAndre From The Future
    2:36 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I didn’t think anything could make this night more awesome. And then Belding tweeted. LOL

20. Sham
    2:36 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Did anyone clock that heater Jorts threw at Sullinger? Great team win. Can’t wait for the Cats to beat NC.

21. Computer Blue
    2:37 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I love the look on Josh’s face when Brandon hit that last shot and he’s running to get back on D.

22. Sullinger Says
    2:40 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I played in the sweet sixteen and all I got was basketball shaped bruise on my chest.

23. Red Mile Gambler
    2:40 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

UK has opened as a 1 point favorite over Carolina, and the line has already moved to UK being a 2 point favorite… In another news Kansas is a 10.5 favorite over VCU… call me up if you need a place to play.

24. BCO
    2:41 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Love late night and dark whiskey celebrations!!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!!

25. CalifCatFan
    2:41 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

OH HAPPY DAY!!!!

26. Wildcat Andy
    2:42 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Nice piece Bies! I enjoy staying up after games waiting on your post. All I can say is I love me some JORTS. Damn you Billy. Damn you.

27. rich
    2:42 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

anyone know where to watch the videos from the postgame presser??

28. Wildcat Andy
    2:47 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

14. Jorts jersey will be hung at Rupp like coach p’s cum stain in porcini’s. Go Cats!

29. Tubby Smith
    2:47 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I would have recruited Josh Harrelson.

30. d1ja
    2:48 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

A lot of people forget B. Knight has always been that type of player remember the mcdonalds all american game when he couldnt hit jacksh*t during the game but hit the game winner. I look for him to have a big game Sunday just like after the Cornell game. Like Cal says he gives them a stage to do it on.

31. bleedblue
    2:48 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

32. Rick Pitino
    2:52 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

In 2 years of Cal and I in the same state, Cal has 2 Elite Eights and I can’t get out of the 1st round. Suddenly I want people to remember the Sypher incident.

33. Billy G
    2:55 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

How ironic is it that I coach for UK for two years bring in three men who shine after i am gone and guide a team 2 years later to an elite 8…. just saying…dont hate me so much….

34. SCCat
    2:57 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

32 Rick Pitino:

tonight is not your night. if you are worried bout you and cal in the same state; move.

35. 2020
    2:58 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

0-5 record vs OSU in the NCAAs down the drain. Let’s flush the 0-5 regional finals record since the ’98 win this Sunday.

36. SCCat
    2:58 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Billy G…see number 34.

37. JeffCat
    2:59 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

For all you other nocturnal Cats out there CBS college sports channel is showing a replay of the game right now (531 Insight). They’re at the 17 minute mark in the second half as I write this.

38. Bi-Winning
    3:05 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I know we won, and I should just leave it alone, but I’m still trying to figure out what Cal did to deserve the T? That could have been a huge momentum shifter (like what happened in the UConn/SDSU game), and if he got upset it was completely justified because the refs missed a pretty obvious call.

Oh and just as a side note I love the mindgames Liggins plays with the opposition. Buford (I think it was Buford that was jawing back at Liggins) should have got a T for chest bumping Liggins after the refs separated them.

39. SCCat
    3:05 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

WE ARE GOING TO WIN IT ALL…

40. SCCat
    3:06 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I’m so happy right now. NC has such a bad thing coming…

41. Viren
    3:09 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Cats controlled the tempo flawlessly and I knew if we can keep the game close the rim would tighten for highly favored Ohio State Buckeyes. Did anyone notice how shocked Clark Kellogs was when Knight hit that shot. Take that Kellogs our young Cats has turned the tide in crunch time but am ready for a blowout win. It would do wonders for my blood pressure. Cats provide 2 thrillers in the 2011 NCAA Tournament. So proud of these group of guys.

42. Computer Blue
    3:15 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

As long as there is no let down, Cats beat UNC. We are both better teams than when we played in December, but UK has progressed much further. Zeller will not recognize Jorts.

43. lynchburg(va) cat
    3:16 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

2 things.
    1. Brendon Prunty. Let’s roast him. Thad Matta’s got tons of class, but he asked Brandon the same question and respect for Brandon for not ripping him a new one. Focus our ire.
    2. You can’t but alcohol past midnight unless at a bar in va and I was sitting in my walking distance bar when these two guys walked in. They were clearly not locals and when asked about it they said, yeah, were from kentucky. I swung around in my bar stool and high fived them and they saw my hat and a friendship was born. I love being a Uk fan.
    also 3. can I start something…Duct tape uses Josh Harrelson to hold things together… Jorts Norris.

44. I am at loss for words. Could not be more proud of this team. I want this win so bad on Sunday for those guys. I loved the 96′,98″, and 10′ teams but this team takes the cake. No matter the out come I could not be more proud of these guys and the great job done by the coaching staff. Like Josh said…playing against the best assistant coach in NCAA history in practice all year , none other then Big Enes. So in a way #FREEENES has been freed.

45. lynchburg(va) cat
    3:25 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

#JoshNorrison

46. BigBlueWestCoast
    3:36 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Jorts is shooting 77.7% (21 for 27) for the three games of the tourney … a stat that did not get mentioned on any of the coverage tonight. He’s averaging 15.6 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 1.6 blocks during that stretch.

47. Tarheel
    4:20 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

2 seconds after UK victory-Yay! We don’t have to play Ohio State!
    1 minute after UK victory- Oh shit, we have to play a Kentucky team that BEAT Ohio State.

48. Lt. Dan's New Legs
    4:44 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Great win tonight. Almost up there with Duke ’98 and IU ’75. Thought you’d like to know Jorts’ nickname got a lot of notice tonight. The NCAA on-line replay has a different halftime show than the one whoich was on CBS. Marques Johnson made two “Jorts” references in the first 30 seconds, and the assistant coach from Boston College said “I’m very impressed with our guy Jorts — am I pronouncing that correctly, buy the way?” They have a social media segment in the halftime show, and read a tweet which concluded “JORTS JORTS JORTS JORTS”

49. UKSoCal
    4:50 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I loved how the announcers kept bringing up the foul differential in the early part of the second half, when they didn’t mention it once during the first half. Screw Clark Kellog.

50. For reals
    4:53 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

No homo here but I swear if I ever meet Jorts, he’s getting a big hug. A bear hug.

51. Bundy
    6:06 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

So ESPN showed the game highlights….6 OSU highlights, 2 UK highlights……do they know that we won?….

52. JORTS
    6:10 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

JORTS JORTS JORTS you are THe man.
    IF you say JORTS name on frosty’s site you get kicked of hahaha what a douche.

53. Bundy
    6:13 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I’ve been a UK fan since I can remember, which my memories start in 85′ with K. Walker. I have my favorite players………but there has never been another UK player that I have been more proud of than Josh Harrellson. Period.

54. Simbadawg
    6:25 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I had to jump and do the silent scream since everyone in my house was sleeping. The officiating was turrable (Charles Barkley). It was very clear on who the media’s favorite was and the officials favorite. I am not one usually to complain about Refs but the calls made last night were cheaper than a two dollar… well you know If Snookie would have been in Jersey last night, the cats would have spanked her too!

55. Arlo G
    6:30 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

This is the tournament of revenge for UK.
    1st – CAL beats Huggins (actually “beat” does really describe the @ss whopping)
    2nd – UK breaks the 0-5 vs. OSU tourney record. And does it against #1 ranked OSU.
    3rd – UK can lay the smack down on UNC (which will depress the CBS broadcasters)
    4th – Bring home #8.
    GO JORTS. GO LEGGO. GO CATS!!!

56. Chapel Thrill
    6:32 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Let’s not forget, E. Kanter had something to do with this win as well. I believe he “got freed” in this game. Go Cats!!!!

57. The Ohio State
    7:27 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I don’t just want to beat them ,I wan’t to be them.

58. The Ville
    7:28 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

ME TOO!

59. DT in DC
    7:46 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

51- I said the same thing! And no replay of Jorts beaming Sullinger or knocking him on his rump in the first half? 2 of my favorite highlights!
    Speaking of those highlights, if anyone finds either posted on youtube, please put on here!

60. sexinyowife
    7:50 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Why bother waking her up??

61. rockatao
    8:03 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Love this comment from the Cleveland Plain-Dealer:

“The second (block on Sullinger) was smothered, strangled, stuffed and virtually mounted on a wall as a trophy by 6-10, 275-pound senior Kentucky center Josh Harrellson.

62. tdr76
    8:04 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

One of the best wins I have ever witnessed as a UK fan. I am so proud of this team right now. Lets beat the heels now!

63. SammyB
    8:07 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Yeah 2 Highlights and not one of them was Josh, ESPN is on the long list of KY haters. O well we come out of this we not only beat the best, we beat the NCAA. Guess you shouldnt back a wildcat into a corner, keep the negativity comin its good fuel for these kids! And for all the socalled fans calling for Cals job, where you at now!?

64. Ohio State
    8:09 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I AM MATT JONES:(

65. mlvei
    8:14 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Josh Harrelson and DeAndre Liggins have made themselves into the kind of mythical figures you often hear of and remember in the UK basketball past; such as Cameron Mills. Someone who comes from seemingly nowhere to perform great feats under tremendous pressure. The type of guys UK fans will talk about decades later as examples for their children to emulate. Congratulations to the entire team for adding so brillantly to the UK tradition!

66. Holler Baller
    8:15 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

In my best 1985 Ric Flair impression. “There’s only one Big Daddy in college basketball and it’s the Kentucky WIldcats!!!”

67. Pauly D
    8:20 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

O-H
    N-O

68. martinbluther
    8:20 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

“Terrence Jones getting two before your second beer was opened.” –You seriously underestimate my stress level about this game.

69. TarHeel99
    8:35 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Congrats on the win last night and best of luck tomorrow. It should be a great battle as both teams have improved greatly since the first meeting.

70. Ed has tickets
    8:35 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Now the AD for OSU can focus on football…oh wait, maybe he was focused on football the entire time given the way this tournament was seeded!

71. harepi
    8:42 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

big play not noticed by jorts was on the last shot. when he tipped the ball out, 2 buckeyes were under the basket to tip the ball in. huge play that has gone unnoticed.

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

72. Ed has tickets
    8:42 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

#61 great quote. I ordered the Sullinger hash browns at waffle house this morning….scattered, smothered and covered.

73. JMM
    8:50 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Incredible. Liggins, Jorts, Miller.
    Defense was unreal. Best “Sweet Sixteen” game ever. This was, as advertised, the National Championship. The feeling I have is the same as I WOULD have had if Laetner misses, or gets t’d up for stomping on Aminu. This was the way that game should have ended, and this game is, in my mind, the best win since Duke in 1998 and/or 1975 Indiana. Great job. Best all-around performance from a Kentucky game since … When? We were supposed to be that good in 1998… This is an incredible TEAM effort, beyond any in recent memory. Best coaching effort, defensive effort, and low-post effort. WOW! jJMM

74. Concerned
    8:53 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Has anyone heard from Clark Killogg since the game ended? I’m worried that maybe he didn’t survive .

75. JortsFastball
    9:00 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Jorts fastball off Sullinger is my second favorite UK NCAA smackdown moment. #1 is Smooth going face to face with Andrew Bogut of Utah.

76. JMM
    9:06 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Hey, where is the Conference Comparison? Hmmm, Itty Bitty Big Least (luv ya Barkley), one team left out of 11? SEC, 5 teams in, 2 in Elite Eight. Which league is better now? SEC = 2, ACC = 1, Big 12 = 1, BigLeast = 1, Pac 10 = 1, Horizon = 1, Colonial = 1…. Um, where is the Big 10? Love it. Two conferences with the most invites, 1 remaining between the two. JMM

77. Anthonyeppsdrivingschool
    9:08 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Awesome game! I celebrated with a
    beer in my hand flying all over the place. You all have to admit, the three point shots jones was throwing up everyone was yelling “noooooooo…..yess”

78. Tom Blevins
    9:21 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I just watched the replay of the last possession. Did anyone notice what Harrellson did? After Knight went past him, he sprinted down the lane to get in position for the offensive rebound. (It wasn’t necessary, of course, as Knight rose up and burried the J.) Then when the Buckeyes took their last shot he was under their basket, wasn’t in position to get the last rebound, but swatted the ball past midcourt so OSU would have no chance for another shot. Things like that don’t show up in the stats, but believe me, Calipari noticed!

79. Helvete
    9:23 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I love the picture that you posted on twitpic of Jorts’ block. “They went to Jared… and Jorts returned it.”

80. Paint Lick Local
    9:27 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know what Beisner is talking about on the blocks/charge calls. Seemed right to me.

81. NBA league pass
    9:30 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Liggins was a MAN tonight. I seriously think OSU players were scared of him. Buford looked like he didn’t want any and Deibler couldn’t get out of his way fast enough. By far his best game as a Cat, hopefully that type of game will be the norm for him next year, look out.

82. Bruce Pearl's Sweat Glands
    9:48 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Wish I would have got a hold of Jorts while I was at UT … I mean jorts and bbq’s… nothing better

83. NBA league pass
    9:50 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

78) I guess all those wind sprints for his Twitter activities paid off! Jorts beat everybody down the floor on that last play….and that tap out on the last Buford brick was huge.

84. Cat fan in atlanta
    9:54 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

81) Deandre kinda strikes me as that guy that you’re not really sure if he’s crazy or not, but he has a crazy look in his eye so you stay away from him lol

85. Woopie!!!!!!!!!!!
    9:56 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Liggins can talk smack and back it up. Luv to know what he said. He got in their heads. Good to know he will be back next year so he can show the new guys how it’s done!

86. bigbluecats350
    9:57 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Im so proud of Jorts and where he is. It made me so angry every time Billy G would put him in then jerk him out after one mistake. A lot of times after shooting a 3, miss or make. And thats what he was touted as. A good three point shooter. I know this year he has a different role but imagine if he would continue to work on his three, then teams would have no answer for Josh. He would have the Kevin Love aspect to him and his stats would probably break some single season records. But thats whats great. All he wants to do is win. Just imagine. Even if we dont win tomorrow, its still been an awesome year. But if they do, who would have thought back in Jan. early Feb we would havd done all this. And this years theme is revenge. First W.V. then Oh St. next UNC then a chance at UConn or Az.

87. yellowsnow
    10:00 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

i recorded the game on my DVR, how can i capture it to a device? I want to relieve that baseball pass by Harrellson off Sullingers chest. Over, and over, and over…

88. jesco white
    10:02 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

What a game. Someone mentioned it above, but Knight hit the game winner in the McD’s game also. I forgot all about that.

89. Ksmith
    10:05 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

Hey Drew Franklin I told you yesterday that we were better 1 through 4 than Ohio St. and all we had to do was play 40 minutes of solid defense and for Jorts to neutralize Sullinger and we could win. How about you picking Ohio St. over the Cats. You should be banned from this website for that. This team is not the same team that lost to Ole Miss and Arkansas a month ago. They have now bought into Cal’s defensive system and have been in enough close games that they know they can win.

90. Cardiac Cats
    10:20 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

return of the Cardiac Cats, I have not been this psyched over a win in a very long time.

91. CalsRightHand
    10:27 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

#55 Don’t forget the possible revenge on UConn!

92. Al's IndiCats
    10:48 am March 26, 2011 Permalink

WOW I’m still hungover from the beer and the win. I loved the fastball Jorts served up to the diamond DEALER, to Liggins being the defensive “MindFreak” Lamb, Miller holding their own and the “ICEWATER” Brandon, a complete team effort. Eloy and Hood didn’t hurt us 1 iota while they were in, and Coach Cal probably his best X and Os coaching. GREAT GAME!

93. Dark Helmet
    12:06 pm March 26, 2011 Permalink

That was a great great wrap-up Beis (talent). Don’t know how anybody can write this hungoveer?

94. coach K
    12:25 pm March 26, 2011 Permalink

I SUCK. DUKE SUCKS. Wildcats Rule!

95. Nakotacat
    5:54 pm March 26, 2011 Permalink

The last time I felt this good was in ’98 when we made “The PUKE SHE DEVILS” cry, What a GREAT WIN! I’ll never doubt these boys again!

96. Hank IV
    6:05 pm March 26, 2011 Permalink

Jesco White’s a CAT fan?

97. Robnite
    8:54 pm March 26, 2011 Permalink

Even if he hasn’t seen any time on the court, he seems to have a great attitude on the bench. That’s good to see.

98. Joe
    11:00 pm March 26, 2011 Permalink

I hit enter too quickly, much like the horde of OSU fans who still insist they are the better team…maybe, but what a stupid point to make. Really, it would make me feel that much more upset…but three salient things jump out to me regarding what you wrote; wait, only two, the third is about what I wrote…People who read this don’t know what salient means: that is number one. Number two: you didn’t mention the worst call in the history of the ncaa! I’ll give you FIVE guesses! Last is the fact that Kentucky did NOT play well! You said they executed flawlessly…Were you watching the game. I haven’t checked the stats (sorry to be a knucklehead and not do this while arguing a point) but imagine Kentucky had north of 15 turnovers….including charges, and yes, you were spot on with the assessment of those being doled out less than squarely! Knight was horrible or should I say weak in the face of the refs allowing Kraft to do everything short of “insertion” without being called…Still, he had to adjust and be strong with the ball, which he did not…oh, but how we love the story of the goat becoming the hero..Good for him! Great for KY! They can and will play better offensively, and must continue to play as voraciously defensively. Jorts 2012!