Wetzel says Cal’s dream of a perfect season is attainable

Lost in the deluge of news the past few days was this gem of an article by Yahoo’s Dan Wetzel on Cal’s dream of a perfect season. An hour after the Cats had won #8, Cal told reporters he already had his sights set on a loftier goal:

“Before I leave coaching,” Cal said that night, “I want to coach a team that goes 40-0. Before I’m out of here. Before I’m done. And the reason is, they say it can’t be done. So let’s go try to do it. Let’s try to win them all.”

Cal echoed that sentiment to Skip Bayless during his appearances at ESPN on Wednesday. Before now, the idea of a perfect season seemed a little laughable…a little too “Cal being Cal” if you will. Going undefeated in college basketball is hard, but it’s even harder when you have to reload your roster every year and start from scratch like the Cats do each season. But, with an epic 2013 class forming in the wings, it doesn’t seem so unrealistic anymore:

It’s also the kind of talent that can get you dreaming of 40-0. Such an accomplishment would also take chemistry, luck, health, coaching, karma and a million other variables, not the least of which is beating SEC rival Florida two or three times when the Gators are putting together their own strong recruiting class.

Chasing the first perfect season since the 1976 Indiana Hoosiers starts with talent though. Without the players, none of the other stuff matters. Calipari certainly isn’t worried about senior leadership or game experience.

“If I had my choice between experience and talent,” he said, “I’m going to take talent.”

Wetzel brings up a point I’m not sure many in the media have yet: the reason Cal keeps getting five-star after five-star is because he doesn’t coddle them, he challenges them. One of the reasons the Harrison Twins cited for committing to Kentucky was the challenge Cal presented them with:

“I think Coach Calipari presented a challenge for us,” Andrew Harrison said when he committed. “He just told us from Day 1, it’s going to be hard, it’s going to be tough and he’s going to push us to become better players.”

The next challenge for the guy Wetzel says is recruiting better than anyone in college basketball history? Perfection.

[Wetzel: John Calipari’s latest recruiting coup makes dream of perfect season seem very attainable]

38 Comments for Wetzel says Cal’s dream of a perfect season is attainable

1. mocha
    3:02 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

it can be done and it will be done.

2. LansingCat
    3:04 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

Second? I hate people who are first, or think they are. Much like UNC, UofLOL, and Duke

3. Dave in Bangkok
    3:15 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

Noah Vonleh dropped Kentucky from his list.

4. Jones Returns
    3:25 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

I would say that if and when that happens it will be Cal’s last year. If it were to happen as early as the ’13-’14 season (which it very well might) it would be somewhat bitter sweet. After that accomplishment I would very much expect Coach Cal to move on to the next great challege…it’s just the kind of guy he is. If in a 5 year period you have 5 consecutive # 1 recruiting classes, a two or three national championships and an undefeated season what else would you have to prove and where else would there be to go but down? I suppose he may stick around to try and top UCLA’s for the most national championships but I’d say it’d be doubtful. Best case scenario at that point we’d have 10. He may stick around to try and win 2 more…here’s hopeing. I want to see an undefeated season as bad as anyone else, and really it should have happened last year, but I’m afraid if it were to happen this dream world we’ve been living in would come to a crashing hault.

5. Jones Returns
    3:28 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

I’ll take 1 loss a year so long as its not in March or April to keep this ride going…

6. Louisville Fan
    3:28 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

I can assure you there won’t be a perfect season this year. You can count on a loss in the Yum! Center, also known as the greatest college arena in the world! Check this out:

Siva > Harrow
    Blackshear > Goodwin
    Hanc0ck > Poythress
    Behanan > Wiltjer
    Dieng > Noel

You all stand no chance against the Cards this year. Who’s little brother now?

#L1C4 baby!

7. John Wall
    3:32 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

#6…Kill yourself

8. Yep
    3:32 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

#4 You’re absolutely right. We need to root for about 4 or 5 one loss seasons. Cal keeps reiterating every five minutes that he’s not going to be here long.

9. TheBigToe
    3:33 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

@6. They may have the lead during that game, but it won’t last for more than 15 seconds.

10. Floyd
    3:38 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

Congratulations on the paper championship lol-ville. You will be ready to fire slick-rick when he loses to Cal once more.

11. St. Paul Raiders
    3:41 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

6- What 7 said.

12. Louisville Fan
    3:44 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

You kiddiecat fans are smoking something. Our superior talent and experience will whoop you all by 30+ points. You all will want Pitino back after we slaughter you all.

13. pharcyde
    3:44 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

I don’t see it happening as is. KY will be better than Duke and Maryland in March, but opening the season with those two on neutral courts will be diificult. And there’s usually some freak SEC road loss. Here’s hoping some of this years one-and-dones turn out to be two-and-dones.

14. anthonydavisarmpit
    3:49 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

12) I’ll take that +30 point spread bet. You might be choking on your bird feathers after the game.

15. TampaCat
    3:53 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

#9 – lead for 15 seconds…. LMAO!!!

16. James K
    3:55 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

The Under Armour golden boys are wearing Foamposites. Oh, the power of Nike.

17. Dave in Bangkok
    3:55 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

Are all Louisville fans as retarded as this guy?

18. Syrin
    3:56 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

#6 – Too bad no NBA scout on the planet agrees with you. Keep screaming for attention child. Maybe someone will listen

#4 – Why do you make that assumption? He’s never said anything to make us believe that is true. Why would he want to move on to some crappy NBA team and slug out the last years of his coaching career trying to turn around an NBA program? MUCH harder than in college. Did you consider maybe he’d want to stay at UK and be remembered as one of the the best college coaches in the history of the game? He needs to look no further than Larry Brown. Decent coach who won’t be remembered for much. Had success at both levels, never EXCEEDED at either. few people can EVER get the chance to go down as one of the best in their field. Cal has that unique opportunity. Don’t just assume he wants the “next challenge”. Winning multiple national championships IS a challenge. Being one of the top 3 coaches in NCAA history could just very well be his next challenge.

19. Syrin
    3:59 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

#12 – Tell you what. I’ll GIVE you the win to make you feel better about your pathetic program in exchange for national championshipS. See, you all live for one game, we live for the title. No one will remember who won the UK/U of L game last year 20 years from now, but our national championship banner and the record books will make it clear who was the best team in the country.

20. Duke Sucks
    4:18 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

Looks like its coming down to Wiggins or Randle. With the carry overs from this team to go with what we allready have 40-0 is a real possibility.
    #6 If you would have read the story you would have noticed he was talking about next year. None of the players you listed will be at UK they will be in the pros.
    #4 If Cal leaves UK it will have nothing to do with 40-0. No collage job is equal to UK, so you know he won’t go down in prestige. Only way he leaves would be for a NBA job. There probably is a NBA job out there Cal wants. Don’t think any job would work would have to be a certain job that comes open he might take, but I dought any NBA job would bring him the prestige as UK. The NBA is a players league where NCAA is more about the coach.

21. jg
    4:32 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

I think it’s a little too early to worry about Cal leaving due to an undefeated season… Anything can happen but that is not very likely… Even the best teams stumble every now and then. I am just enjoying the fact that we don’t have Michael Porter and Sheray Thomas type players here anymore!

22. RealCatsFan
    4:40 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

“Everybody is going to be mad,” Calipari said of other coaches who dislike the recruiting advantage. “I know. Did I do it because of that, just to aggravate people? I might have.”

Man, I love Cal’s swag. If only we had a football coach with a set of brass ones like our basketball coach.

23. RealCatsFan
    4:42 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

“It’s a different time and age,” Calipari said. “If a coach is a jerk, they are texting each other, ‘my coach is a jerk, he doesn’t care about me.’ The 25-year-old ago model is out the window.

In other words, suck it, Bobby Knight!!

24. Seriously
    4:42 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

18… Because 4 is an idiot

25. barn
    4:54 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

check it out? hell yeah, check it out! pitiful little bro

26. 9 is FINE
    4:56 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

17-yes…..yes they are.

27. Rocky
    5:02 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

#4, I still believe he wants to pass UCLA in championships. One thing he/we should remember: all of our success is a combination of UK and Cal. Sure, there are several schools that Cal could have done well at. There are also several coaches that could succeed at UK. When we split the package up neither one will do as well.

He is a fine man and a winner, but it is clear why he wanted to come to UK.

Remember that the Harrison’s were won over by the # of people camping out in order to get tickets to BBM. This plus the UK fanbase made them feel like rock star.

Young stated that UK has always been his dream school.

Cal could do well at another program. UK could do well with another good coach. But, neither one could do as well without the other.

28. RealCatsFan
    5:05 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

Well, the rest of us can forget about posting any more comments on this thread. Rocky just landed a haymaker. Epic post, dude.

29. GapToothDanny
    5:34 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

6: please enter UL’s record vs UK since Cal became coach…now, answer your own question 🙂

30. Tracy Arflin
    7:24 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

It could happen. BUT only if Cal stops tanking it in the SEC tourney. Until he stops seeing a loss in the tourney as a “good release of pressure” type thing, it won’t happen. We could have won last year if he’d have called a timeout to settle the team down. He stopped coaching cause he felt we needed a humbler and attention getter before the Dance. I think he still has two, maybe three time outs left in his pocket from that game. I love Cal, but I’m not blind to his psychology. He uses the SEC tourney as he sees fit. If he thinks a win there helps us overall, he tries to win. If not….

31. Nasty
    7:27 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

6… You do a lot of shit talking. Just don’t cry when u finally see that UL isn’t that good… Just like every year. I hope to see you on here after ur cards lose. I can’t even remember the last time UL beat UK. Was I even born?

32. Louisville Fan
    7:42 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

You guys are insane, our experience is far more superior to your little freshmen that no one cares about. That’s why everyone says U of L will win the title and we don’t have to pay our players like PayPal Cal does. LOL I’ll be back in the evening of 12/29 to see all of your excuses for the kiddie cats losing!!!!

33. Stevie
    7:57 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

28, he makes some really good points. Whether you agree with him or not, he is a Kentucky fan. It would be wrong to say that UK isn’t a magnet for hungry coaches,

Cal isn’t above the program that hired him. I believe this fully. Why do you think he so desperately wanted to come here?

34. ULblows
    7:58 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

Hey Louisville fan… Do you live in Louisville? If so, I’d like to meet you so I can match your dumb comments with your dumb face. Something just tells me you’re really ugly and trashy. Prove me wrong little biotch…

35. RealCatsFan
    8:01 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

Why hell 33, when you put it in such simplistic terms, I do kinda feel like an idiot.

36. RealCatsFan
    8:05 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

#32, you have already lost four straight times to UK. If you aren’t able to beat the Cats at home this year you should really feel like losers. There is no excuse for a program that bills itself as being relevant losing to a freshmen oriented team 5 times in a row.

37. RealCatsFan
    8:19 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

Hmmm, so who is the REAl “RealCatsFan” around here? Last two posts were by my alter ego, apparently. 😀

38. Louisville Fan
    8:46 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

#34 Yes, I am from Louisville. Let me know where you want to meet and we’ll talk basketball.