We’re previewing Kansas on today’s show (Friday Show Thread)

You know what the guys are talking about on today’s show. There’s one thing on Big Blue Nation’s minds and it’s tomorrow’s game at Kansas.

So let’s talk about.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

85 Comments for We’re previewing Kansas on today’s show (Friday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:56 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I’ve got the caytes winning by 4 tomorrow. Are they doing a blue out or something like that?

Any conspiracy theories about Bill Self’s hair?

• Dizzyd2k3
      10:03 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

@selfstoupee on twitter is pretty great… check it out!

2. ukjaybrat
    9:58 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I have SOME optimism for the game tomorrow. But, I’ve seen too many times where teams just get the shaft playing on the road at Kansas whether it be the audience, the refs, the magic of phog allen or whatever you want to call it. But Kansas NEVER loses at home despite not always having a great team. That fact gives me some pause on even wanting to watch the game and getting upset when kansas gets all the calls.

3. Cat House
    10:00 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

She Cats lose at home to a lesser team. Mathew out coached. Again.

• ukjaybrat
      10:07 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

It’s hard to win every game when you’re playing with only 9 players every game… losing a bad game is one thing, losing every big game is completely different and he’s not doing that. he is pulling out great wins for the program. if you want to poo poo the program because of one bad loss, you have no idea how sports work.

• RealCatsFan
      10:18 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I hope you are just kidding with that post. Outcoached? He is essentially running a roster with 8 players, and he has managed to “outcoach” some pretty high caliber programs – most recently Tenn (even though Pat Summit doesn’t coach them, they are still a top shelf program.) Also, don’t forget that the lady Cats beat Louisville – AGAIN. Even with their highly ranked recruiting class.

• Cat House
      10:19 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Don’t forget why he has only 9 players. He is NOT the program.

10:25 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Mitchell only has 9 players because a couple transferred and he had to kick at least 1 off the team for some sort of infraction. I am glad Mitchell runs a clean program and doesn’t put up with crap.

• Cat House
      10:28 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid tastes great, wish I had some, can’t wait!

• ukjaybrat
      10:28 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Cat House, you seem to have more information than the rest of us. could you please provide the reasons why he only has 9 players and why that makes him a bad person/coach ?

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

crickets chirping…. as expected.

10:48 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Cold shooting in the second half is getting out coached??

• ukjaybrat
      10:50 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

J-Dub, some people just see a loss and don’t look any further into the game. There reasons for everything. Sometimes the ball just doesn’t fall. but to make a conclusion based on nothing more than the final score is just plain ignorant.

• RealCatsFan
      11:08 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Looks like “Cat House” may have gone back over to Card Chronicle.

• Booby Petrino
      11:10 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

lol “out coached” clearly you didn’t watch the game. We shot poorly in the second half, were in foul trouble with a 9 person (mainly 8) rotation, and had no answer for their big girl who had the game of her life. We have a couple of bad losses this year, but we have good wins over ranked teams like Arizona State, Duke, Louisville, and TN. We all know UConn will bring home the big trophy, unless South Carolina gets lucky, but our girls are having a good season and should make a good run in the tourney.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:49 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Cat House constantly be trollin’…..

4. Dizzyd2k3
    10:04 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I think that a fast paced game on Saturday will ensure that Donald Trump will be our next President… Oh wait, what were talking about?

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Can we please eliminate the shot clock and go back to the Four Corners offense?

5. BobKYCats
    10:05 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Wildcats 78, Jayhawks 72

6. UKJAYBRAT & JAY-DUB, I got my Gravatar to work!!! (insert the “Hallelujah Chorus” audio here)

I changed it from the Magloire/Wojo rasslin’ match photo to a classic logo that features Power K, but I might change it from time to time. I think one problem was I had put a different email in WordPress than I had here, but it’s still true that they did not set that system up to be user friendly.

Anyway, Go Cats & beat Kansas!!!

7. RealCatsFan
    10:13 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Used to go to the boat show back when they had more of the big, badazz offshore powerboats out there – Fountain, Donzi, Cigarette, Formula, etc. Just not the same now – mostly pontoons, runabouts, wave runners, and cruisers. Shows the changing tastes of the boating public.

Also not big on paying a big admission charge and parking for what is a glorified boat showroom.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

If someone can hide Perry Ellis’ Geritrol, our chances go up considerably. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Who has the worst receding hairline: Ellis or the Mizzou guy?

10:44 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Ellis looks like he’s older than I am.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:47 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I wonder if Minoxidil is a banned substance in the NCAA?

• RealCatsFan
      10:50 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Chris, the Mizzou guy is awesome simply because he looks like a middle aged dude mixing it up with the young kids at the local Y.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Has any team in America faced more hostile crowds than UK will have faced this season? I think not – probably not even close for most programs.

10:28 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I have watched a couple U of L games with my husband and they absolutely do not draw they type of crowd or hostility that we do. Their away games are half empty usually.

• ukjaybrat
      10:33 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

yeah i watched the wake forrest (i think) game and there wasn’t but a handful of fans in the arena

10:35 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Va. Tech was about 2/3 full, and Clemson was at least half empty.

• I remember reading in The Cats’ Pause in Eddie Sutton’s 2nd year, which was a down year even though we pounded UL (LSU beat us by like 30 or 35 in Rupp), told the team “Everyone wants to beat the team that has K-E-N-T-U-C-K-Y written across it’s chest”, and it’s very true, even in a down year.

Just look at how every road SEC game is a white out, black out, etc.

• Sorry my proofreading skills are shabby today. My grammar above is awful.

Also, I think LSU may have beaten us even worse that year. It may have even been 40. I remember the exclamation point was when Rex even missed a lob dunk toward the end. Salt on an open wound.

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Yep, I went back and forth about this with some friends who are UofL fans. They brought up West Virginia, Syracuse,etc. WVU has a reputation for some nasty, redneck fans, and ‘Cuse usually has a big following, but you cannot tell me that UofL faces the constant packed, crazy arenas that UK sees with every road game in the SEC.

• I just remembered (boy I’m slow today…trying to multitask): that Sutton quote may have actually been during the losing season after the scandal(s) broke. Not totally sure, but I still think it was his 2nd year.

10:45 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I don’t remember the last time we played a road game that wasn’t sold out and very hostile.

10. CATandMONKEY
    10:32 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

72-69 Cats. Skal gives us enough to not hurt us. Lee manages to only get 4 fouls and contributes.
    Ullis MVP…I know that’s really going out on a limb.

10:34 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I think our guards are way better than theirs, so I have hope.

• ukjaybrat
      10:40 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

jdub – their team is pretty similar to ours.

their bigs are inexperienced and ineffective at times. their mids are inconsistent. their guards, although less talent have mroe experience. that will be the key to the game imo

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:41 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

2-0 Cats. We get the tip and score quickly. Kansas has a flashback to last year and spends the next 39 minutes and 50 seconds lying in fetal positions.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:44 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I think the biggest obstacle we face is The Phog if KU gets any sort of run.
      Neutral court, I really like us to win. Cats can win this if we play tough and reasonably smart basketball. We are very capable of doing both.

• ukchambliss
      10:45 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I hope to live in a world one day where people can spell ‘Ulis’ correctly.

10:47 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

We will have to get off to a fast start and take the crowd out of it.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:50 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Apologies. My copy editor is off today.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:51 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I still have trouble not typing Tylis Uler after that one call a few months ago.

• ukjaybrat
      10:51 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Even a fast start won’t help though. Kansas is streaky and prone to making a few big plays in a row that could wake up even the sleepiest of crowds.

• ukjaybrat
      10:52 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I type Tylus Euler all the time since that Harold call.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:56 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

ukjaybrat I prefer your spelling.

Hope that The Cats are able to keep the crowd quiet. As we have discussed previously, this game has made for much nervousness since the start of the season.

11:05 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

But, if Kansas comes out hot and gets the crowd at a fever pitch, we’re screwed.

• One thing I have to say, Big 12 bball has got it goin’ on this year. The KU-Okie game, the Iowa St. games vs. both those teams…great games and great atmospheres!

• ukjaybrat
      11:26 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I think the Bi12 is normally a tad overrated. but they do look like they have a lot of competition this year. That could also be a factor in there not being a domainate team this year. I’ll be interested to see the results of the big12/sec challenge

11. CATandMONKEY
    10:37 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

People who are old enough to know Ric Flair but weren’t into the silly sideshow that was and is professional wrestling don’t really care about him either. Blasphemy, I know.

• Flair.was.awesome.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:46 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Flair was awesome in the context of wrestling. Wrestling itself…not so much. I understand that it can be great entertainment but I always preferred real sports.

• I understand wrestling isn’t everyone’s thing. I don’t watch it any more but I was into it back in the day.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:22 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Honestly if I had been in a household that wasn’t obsessed with Bruins, Red Sox and Celtics that had local and cable access to most games I probably wiuld have watched WWF (at the time) a lot more. Wrestling was a novelty that I got to watch when staying at a buddy’s house.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:23 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

…would… the typing thing is a challenge today evidently.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:49 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Bocephus! Drank many a beer to that song by a campfire out in a field back in HS!

13. The Rest of the story
    10:51 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Hmm not a single post from Big Board Update. Having trouble finding something to bitch about I guess or on the UL mesg. boards loving his Ricky.

11:03 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

You constantly trolling him and trying to goad him like this is just as bad. I wish you would both just ignore each other.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:47 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

If you think I love Rick Pitino or anything Louisville, well, you haven’t been paying attention.

Nice try, though.

Now, lets stay on topic, shall we?

14. RealCatsFan
    11:07 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

After this game, and the game at A&M, we will definitely be able to call this team road-tested. I just hope that we can come out with a big road win during the regular season to help with confidence going into the post season. Last year the big argument was that out team was not adequately tested during the regular season (which I disagreed with). You certainly cannot say that this season.

• And a higher seed than where we’re projected right now if we can pull those 2 games out.

• ukjaybrat
      11:14 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

many would argue that we still haven’t played anybody. Duke looks like they might not even make the tourney and we still don’t know if Louisville is a good team or not because they haven’t beaten anybody (although they don’t have any bad losses – which is good)

11:17 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I honestly think the pressure of trying to, not only win the title, but go undefeated caught up to us last year. I thought we looked tight in the ND and Wisconsin games.

15. Oh no, I hope this doesn’t mean Gran will be one and done when some other school comes calling next year. We have GOT to have an OC for at least 2 or 3 years if this program is going to build any kind of solid foundation.

16. Long Dong Silver
    11:14 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Matt’s laidback voice is channeling his hippie neighbors.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:17 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

No doubt that if Matt were a hippie, he would be an aggressive one though.

11:30 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Lol, you’ve made me imagine Matt with long hair and bell bottoms, throwing up peace signs. ๐Ÿ™‚

• UK Big Board Update
      11:48 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Can we get a Photoshop, pronto?? LOL

17. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Can’t ever think of Matt as an outdoorsman. Would “metrosexual” be a more accurate term? ๐Ÿ™‚

• CATandMONKEY
      11:29 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Matt would be blackballed from both clubs. No Twitty allowed in the metros.

• RealCatsFan
      11:35 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Poor Matt. Just can’t find a club to belong to.

11:37 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Matt doesn’t have enough fashion sense to be metrosexual.

18. jflowers
    11:29 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

If tubby was let go from the gophers for his record does that mean little Ricky will be fired…and Dan dockich is the brown streak in Bobby knights tighty whiteies

19. houndstooth
    11:44 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

How many times have we heard that same call? I wish someone would steal that guys identity!

20. RealCatsFan
    11:45 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Matt, repent and abandon your heathen lifestyle, and find yourself a godly woman, of sturdy build, with broad, child bearing hips to provide you with many offspring. (oops – forgot – Matt hates children) ๐Ÿ™‚

21. CATandMONKEY
    11:51 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Ryan actually might think that his alarm is a ghost

22. houndstooth
    11:54 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

bullet county means red neck- kinda like eastern ky.

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Redneck in a kind of Joe Dirt kind of way. Maybe Derek needs to grow out his mullet and buy a 1983 Pontiac Trans Am with T-tops.

• catdaddyd
      12:16 pm January 29, 2016 Permalink

Joe Dirt was a hemi man.