Welcome to the Big Blue Family, Bun B!

After a season-long flirtation between last year’s team and hip-hop youngster Drake, the latest version of Calipari’s Kentucky squad has kicked it up a notch and brought a rap legend into the fold.  Houston rap heavyweight Bun B has taken a liking to a certain Kentucky big man and considering he once rapped on “Int’l Players Anthem”, it’s not the one you might expect.  It’s still a liking, however, that is sure to send chills of joy into every blue hair in Rupp Arena.

After noting that Terrence Jones “went hard in the paint” and receiving an obligatory expression of gratitude from UK’s leading scorer, Bun B took a sip of his prognostication sizzurp and Tweeted this:

bun-b-twitter2

So, there you go.  Not only will UK make it to the Final Four, one-half of UGK will be in attendance to welcome them to his city.  And before you start discounting the insight of Mr. Bernard Freeman, just rememember that it’s “easy as A B C, simple as 1 2 3, get down with UGK, Pimp C & B-U-N B”.  Hard to argue with that.

Go Cats.  Keep it trill.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

47 Comments for Welcome to the Big Blue Family, Bun B!

1. Not Jerry for Pres
    9:04 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

I claim this spot, so no one can say first

2. bung
    9:11 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

can u send him a UK hat? Were those originally mountain songs?

3. Cal Purnell here
    9:11 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Too Legit Too Legit to Quit!!

4. Barefoot
    9:15 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Bun B is Shaquille O’Neil’s long lost twin brother, separated at birth. If Terrence ends up hanging around with this guy he’ll hear a lot worse words than he heard from Cal. Choosing Kentucky may have been the worst decision T.J. ever made. He used to be so innocent and naive. Plus, reading the comments section on KSR has subjected him to SexnNursingHomes. I’ll pray for you T.J., you selfish Oyster Shucker.

5. bung
    9:18 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Is he the one that did Down at Dumas Walkers?

6. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    9:18 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

As long as he doesn’t play his music too loud, he’s alright by me.

7. ukforlife
    9:26 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

I remember being 8 deep off Kentucky crib

8. FrankSinatra
    9:30 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Who gives a a sheet about a fat rapper. Who gives a sheet about any rapper.

9. me
    9:40 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

8. Took the words right out of my keyboard. Who cares…. rap sucks.

10. Roggensak
    9:44 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Go Cats!

11. reedwizard
    9:48 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

#4 nailed it. Is it another alter ego of Shaquille? He’s probably 5’5″ haha!

12. Cheaaaa
    9:51 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Trill recognize trill…that’s all this is

13. UKBigDaddy
    9:52 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

I was thinking the same thing on Shaq.

14. bung
    9:55 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

I he is a Cat fan he be ok with me

15. Will
    9:55 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

8. Most basketball players!

16. Burlington_UK_fan
    9:55 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

holler!

17. BoomKentucky
    9:56 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

7. its actually I remember being eight deep off in Chucky crib on the “one day” song.
    I use the think that it said Kentucky until I looked it up.

18. Tyrone Biggums
    9:56 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

One day ya here baby and then ya gone! We found a theme song that is fitting to our one and done system.

19. Big Pimpin
    10:01 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Spendin da cheese we be, big pimpin on b-l-a-d’s, its jus dat jigga man Pimp-C and B-U-N-B…____ga.

20. JayEzzy
    10:07 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Terrence is rap mogul Irv Gotti’s nephew. No doubt he has known bun for years, and I highly doubt this is the last rapper we hear from regarding T. Jones.

21. Beavis
    10:11 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Baby you been rollin solo, time to get down with the team
    Because its greener on that other side if you know what I mean

22. Burlington_UK_fan
    10:15 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

20. Seriously?

23. random
    10:27 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

v

24. blitzmr2
    10:29 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Bun B is a pimp–and not in a dirty, Master P kind of way. Just a hustlin’ rapper from Texas. Love me some UGK.

25. Ron Ray
    10:29 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

So is Quinton Rampage Jackson (the MMA GUY) the same as Bun B? This guy looks just like Rampage.

26. upinya25
    10:31 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

pop it for pimp

27. r0yalewithcheez
    10:38 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

the UGK album “ridin dirty” is where its at thats a great album…..anybody whose not heard them ought to start right there

28. starchief5
    10:44 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Rap stars (black or white) as heroes?
    God, we must be desperate.

29. Teddy Bridgewater
    10:53 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

He looks like a Louisville fan to me.

30. ebell55
    11:05 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

UGK for Life! Mr. Benard Freeman is one of the more intulectual individuals in hip hop music and one of my all time favorites! He also has taught a class at Rice University for you stero typing idoits out there! The man is a legend in his field and I’m sure Tarrence is hyped about the compliment!

31. JS
    11:25 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! UGK/Bun B is one of my all-time favorites for sure!!! I never thought in million years Bun B would be recognizing UK and/or a players from the squad. That’s awesome. UGK is not some fly-by-night rap group, but established and RESPECTED group by ALL! Been doing it for decades! Get him to a game. Many of the haters on these boards dont understand the significance and influence such artists can have on recruits and the namebrand for UK. The fact is, high school kids we’re fighting for in the recruiting wars aren’t listening to Rock & Roll and Country music…sorry!

32. SaggyWheels
    11:53 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

Bun B is one of the most well respected rappers in the game. he is also signed to rap-a-lot records…so uh, watch what u say shhhhhhhh. and he is teaching a class at Rice University this semester. http://tinyurl.com/462z3mp

33. tenacious_j
    11:56 am January 24, 2011 Permalink

sour

34. Mack
    12:15 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

What the Hell was going on, is he for or against us?

35. JohnV
    12:31 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

Beisner – fess up.. you had no idea who this guy was. You just follow Jones’ twitter and saw this guy’s comment and decided to google him. amirite?

36. jaygee85
    12:31 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

Bun B is one of my fav rappers, he is no doubt a legend and could be a valuable recruiting tool..i know some fans want more country boys jammin to hank on the way to a game, but if we wanna win, that just aint happenin’…. and about Irv Gotti, i always wondered what was his connection to UK, he was at one of our games last year, and i saw him on espn at one of mike gilchrist’s games at the city of palms classic, he sat right behind st. patrick’s bench, bout 3 rows back.. i think he was wearin a Uk shirt or hat

37. UK_Football_Fan
    12:41 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

Respected rapper? If you say so, I believe you. Legend? I’m not exactly Russell Simmons, but if I haven’t heard him, he’s not a legend.

38. manu1433
    1:50 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

37) he is a legend…you people are condemning rap music as shit and you are right…Bun B is an MC not a rapper lets get that straight…UGK (Bun B and Pimp C) ARE legends…they are one of the most influential hip-hop groups ever and are among many of you favorite rapper’s MCs…also lets getanother thing straight, Illmatic Nas (not his new stuff), wu tang, mobb deep, BIG (ready to die BIG that is), Mos Def, Talib Kwali, Lupe Fiasco, and Outkast are all MC’s and are considered members of the hip hop genre…clowns like lil’ wayne, niki minaj, jeezy, gucci mane, oj da juice man and rick ross are all considered rappers not MC’s….Rap is a crappy genre of POP music which is talentless and void of any true lyricism most of the people on here have no clue what they are talking about and apparently are to dumb to comprehend music composition and structure and have very little understanding of free verse poetry or music theory…you guys need to brush up on your music history…damn i wish i had a dollar fir every time UGK was mentioned in a song

39. twnky
    1:59 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

8 & 9 all of the kids cal recruits like rap so this a good thing….

40. Ekublue
    2:30 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

UGK For Life I Love Pimp C (R.I.P.) and Bun B and are legends in the game and for Bun to take a liking to Terrence Jones and UK is the greatest!!! For those who don’t know take the time to understand comments on here that people who know him are saying. And yes Ridin Dirty is in my car cd player right now.

41. JackNicklaus
    2:53 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

Damn I feel old. Screw it…I’m taking my MC Hammer pants back to Goodwill.

42. Lil Whoa
    3:53 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

manu1433, you left off one of the greatest MC’s of all time – Eminem.

43. bmwuk
    4:20 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

Bun B is teaching a course at Rice University on religion and hip hop. Apparently a smarter guy than many of you give him credit for.

44. kudos
    4:26 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

kudos to 38. well said!

45. Biglaw Dawgin
    5:53 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

38 – I agree that Bun B is a legend. Glad to have him as a UK fan.

Now saying Lil Wayne and Jeezy are on a lower lyrical level than Bun B is a vast overstatement. Other than the stuff he puts on the radio “to keep the registers ringing,” his lyrics are second to none. Jeezy is not far behind. The other jokers, I totally agree, but not these two. I don’t want to hear otherwise because I stay strapped and I ain’t talking seatbelts.

46. JMFATZ47
    5:58 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

RIP Pimp P……..UK and TJones bout to pull akickdoe

47. manu1433
    7:10 pm January 24, 2011 Permalink

HAHAHAHAHA…you are the very type of music fan I was speaking of lol…Eminem is nothing more than a shitty ass gimmick rapper who induldges in pop music on every one of his albums…you must have the mind of a 3 year old, listening to those shitty nursery rhymes lol…