Wednesday’s Football Practice Video and Notes

In a couple of days, the Jalen Whitlow era of Kentucky football will begin. Whitlow, the only completely healthy quarterback left in the stable, will start against Arkansas, and, barring anything unforeseen, will hold that position for the rest of the year. Head coach Joker Phillips met with the media today to discuss Whitlow’s progress, UK’s injury bug, and the youth of his football team. Take a look.

************************

-According to Phillips, Whitlow took about 75% of the first-team snaps today. When he wasn’t taking first team snaps, he was taking snaps with the second team. Coaches want to give him the most repetitions possible, but still have QB Morgan Newton ready as well. Newton is only one unfortunate play away from being the starter for this football team again. A crazy reality.

-“I’m just trying to prepare myself mentally as much as possible,” Newton said after practice. “If something happens… Hi, my name is Morgan Newton.”

-When asked what he thinks he can still do on the football field, Newton said that it changes day-to-day. His shoulder injury has kept him from doing as much as he would normally be able to do at the quarterback position. “I, obviously, know all of the offense. [If I have to come in] the coaches will dictate what I’m able to do on the field.”

-Kentucky looks like it will be without its top DBs in Saturday’s game. Neither CB Tay Neloms or S Mikie Benton practiced today. If they don’t practice tomorrow either, you can expect a lot of the Blaylock twins in Kentucky’s secondary.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

15 Comments for Wednesday’s Football Practice Video and Notes

1. big poppa
    1:50 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

Football 2 days before madness and 1 day before James Young’s decision?

2. UK FAN
    2:02 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

Joker is gong to keep his job using the word “young” in every interview. We got blown out by UL and beaten by WKU when we were healthy geez.

3. Please
    2:11 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

Last football post of the day?! Please!!

4. MCAT
    2:22 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

Mr. Newton, this is a friendly reminder so you don’t forget your 8 hour test appointment with me Saturday afternoon in Louisville.

5. Rockfield, KY
    2:26 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

We have been without our top RB (Clemons and CB (Caffey all year, so we haven’t been completely healthy. Either way, we shouldn’t lose to WKU.

I can’t help but like Morgan Newton. I just wish he’d have a career game at some point this year to finish with a bang. Even if its a huge hit on special teams or a block on offense. Anything.

6. Breal1515
    2:29 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

#3, I totally agree!

7. Pioneer
    2:38 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

All those charts and comparisons but we still won’t win…. Football posts need to be relegated to after 8 pm

8. Patrick Sapp
    2:59 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

The people complaining about Newton taking the LSAT last Saturday, would be the first ones to complain if he got in the game. Doesn’t make any sense. Leave the kid alone and let him get on with his life.

9. jetblue
    3:19 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

poor Newton. CAn’t help but feel bad for the kid.

10. Jalen Whitlow fan
    3:20 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know about you guys but I’m pumped for Saturday. My favorite player Jalen Whitlow is the sole starting QB. I’m excited because this guy is a playmaker. He’s about to make pork out of the razorback defense.

11. RealCatsFan
    4:23 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

Just. Don’t. Care. About. Football. Anymore.

Hurry up Madness!!

12. barn
    6:23 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

the game is blacked out where i live this saturday so i won’t have any guilt feelings this weekend about not watching it

13. sources Close To The peogram
    8:02 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

Heard that Sam Ball and Wah Wah Jones are both doubtful for Saturday’s game…while Art Steel is probable !

14. bford7776
    11:04 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

#11…then don’t read or post. Remember, these are kids and giving theri best. they are young and talented. we have some positive

15. RealCatsFan
    9:27 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

Hey, I am 100% behind the players, and I commend them for giving all that they have. My big gripe is with the UK administration and their short-sightedness when it comes to improving the football program. We are being passed by in football by DUKE and VANDERBILT, for chrissakes! Pretty soon, Indiana will be passing us too. The HCIW hire was one of the biggest coaching hire mail-it-ins in decades….