Maxwell Hinton’s Wednesday News and Views

If you had one free, no-strings-attached wish in this world, what would it be? Many would ask for money or fame. The sweet genuine souls among us might ask for world peace or health for loved ones. Come April, 97% of the state of Kentucky would wish for an eighth National Championship. Not many people would ask to blow up a building. Seven-year-old Maxwell Hinton did just that. Hinton was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma, a cancer that forms in your nerve tissue, and his wish to blow up a building was fulfilled by the Make-a-Wish Foundation on Sunday. He says the Discovery television show “Mythbusters” inspired his wish, which just goes to show if you let your kids watch good television, they’ll come up with badass dreams. Take that, Hannah Montana.

The Make-a-Wish people found a grain silo in Erie County, Ohio that the ConAgra company was planning to demolish anyways, so they flew Hinton out to do the honor. And because it’s Ohio, where they will make a beer festival out of anything (looking at you, guy in the Viking horns at the 1:15 mark), almost 40,000 people showed up to watch the granary implode. Ready for the happy ending? Maxwell is cancer-free, and the fine people of Huron have a large plot of land for their new Super Target.

Let’s blow up some news and views.

— The Cats are now safely on the ground in Auburn, Alabama preparing for Wednesday night’s matchup against the Tigers, who, well, we’ll just say have seen better seasons. After their embarrassing 30-point beatdown from Vanderbilt on Saturday, head coach Tony Barbee almost seemed hopeless about his team’s chances against the Cats, calling his team “ineffective offensively” and “the softest team” he’s ever been around. Get ready for the Cal connection: Barbee actually played basketball under Calipari at UMass and then later was an assistant coach on his staff at Memphis (prepare to hear that factoid a million times Wednesday night). Auburn only managed to put up 35 points against Vanderbilt on 27% field goal shooting, a figure which surely has Anthony Davis salivating. On the go-go gadget arms of Davis, the Cats rank first in the nation in blocked shots per game with 9.3 and field goal percentage defense, holding teams to a paltry 35%. Even a spanking new basketball arena can’t save Auburn from that.

— Despite Auburn’s shellacking at the hands of John Jenkins in Nashville, Kentucky is only a 16-point favorite, due in part to this being the Cats’ first SEC road trip, and only their second trip to genuine enemy territory. It will be interesting to see how this young team responds on the road; granted, I don’t expect the environment in Auburn Arena to be nearly as hostile as Assembly Hall, but this team will only benefit from the experience. If you’ll remember, last year’s squad had a 2-6 road record in the SEC, the bumps and bruises from which probably helped them make their run in March. I’m most anxious to see how Marquis Teague handles the environment after a promising performance against South Carolina on Saturday. During time with the media on Tuesday, Cal said that Teague needs to learn how to take the crowd out of the game and be more consistent, both of which can be accomplished with a focused performance against Auburn’s inferior backcourt.

This will be Kentucky’s first game in the aforementioned Auburn Arena, which opened in 2010. Despite Calipari’s assumptions, the game is not a sell-out, so if you hurry, you can be one of the lucky 5,000 people to get a free shaker and see the Alexandria Aces halftime show. Auburn may be one of the few schools to build an arena smaller than their previous one, with the official capacity topping off at 9,121. I just hope this place has better lighting than the last one.

— Sorry, I can’t hold it in anymore: bwahahahaha LOUISVILLE. If you couldn’t hear Rick Pitino’s sobs from your house (Karen Sypher’s décolletage does muffle it slightly), the dirty, dirty birds lost to PROVIDENCE 90-59 on Tuesday night. Yes, Providence. The Cards trailed almost the entire game, and by the end, even the announcers were mocking their pathetic performance. The loss is doubly cruel for Pitino, whose 1987 Providence squad was honored prior to the game. Unlike that group, this team simply quit on their coach, who returned the favor by refusing to face the media during the postgame radio show, sending his son Richard to explain the loss instead. After an unsuccessful stint with the Celtics, a decade at Louisville, and an off-court scandal that would make even Kim Khardashian blush, Pitino has finally come full circle, a shadow of the larger than life legend he once was. Part of me feels sorry for Pitino, which is offset by anger at his cowardice as of late; dare I say it, he almost makes me feel bad for Louisville fans. Almost.

— Louisville’s loss and Pitino’s woes are especially sweet in light of the former coach’s backhanded dig at Calipari and the Cats earlier in the day when speaking about current #1 Syracuse: “I’d say right now they are the premier team in the country and the rest of us are trying to get to that level.” Hush, Pitino.

— Okay, back to teams that actually exist. John Calipari was his usual coach-speakin’ candid self with the media on Tuesday, predicting a “25-30 point loss” to Vanderbilt if the Commodores play the Cats as well as they did Auburn on Saturday. Now, no disrespect to the fighting Bill Dauterives and their opera house of a gym, but I just can’t see Kentucky losing to ANYONE by thirty points, no matter how poorly they play. And yes, I know Coach Cal takes to hyperbole like sprinkles on Orange Leaf, but excuse me while I roll my eyes. February 11th’s game against Vandy in Nashville will be Kentucky’s toughest challenge in SEC play by far, and history tells us the Cats will most likely fall victim to their perfect storm of a road environment, but 30 points? Come on, we’re not Louisville.

— Bwhahaha, Louisville.

— Another day, another mid-season accolade. On Tuesday, Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News named Michael Kidd-Gilchrist First Team All-American, calling him possibly “the most complete college player” in the game right now, which is saying something, considering he’s only 16 games in to his freshman year. DeCourcy also named Anthony Davis Third Team All-American, pointing out that while Davis will almost certainly be the number one pick in the NBA draft, Kidd-Gilchrist has done more for the Cats thus far. MKG and Davis have been raking in the fake awards so far this season, but it is refreshing to see a member of the national media fully recognize Kidd-Gilchrist’s impact on this team.

— One player that the Cats may turn to on the road to steady the ship is senior Darius Miller, who Calipari said on Tuesday is just playing “fine.” On a team full of superstars, Miller has found himself fading into the shadows at times this season, but he is capable of being a game changer, evidenced by his MVP performance in the SEC Tournament last season. When Miller is playing well, his aggression is contagious; heading in to a two-game road trip, “Reapperius” would be a welcome sight.

— Speaking of Miller, someone needs to fill him in on what happened on “The Game” tonight:

— Have you ever wondered how much it would cost to sponsor a UK game? Apparently $17,500. The Sierra Club, an environmental group who promotes renewable forms of energy in lieu of coal, will sponsor the Kentucky/Arkansas game on January 17th. The sponsorship is an about-face for the athletic department, which has also seen three events so far this season sponsored by Friends of Coal, not to mention the ongoing construction of the Wildcat Coal Lodge. The Sierra Club promises that their message will be “positive and not anti-coal,” but it is sure to stoke the controversy over coal the continues on campus and across the state.

Congrats to Larry Vaught, who was named the 2011 National Sportswriter of the Year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association for the sixth year in a row. Larry is one of the most respected and lovable figures in UK sports media, and although some may poke fun at him from time to to time for his affinity for the Verizon Droid, he is one of the best in the business. In fact, ole Larry has gotten downright sassy on Twitter as of late, and his recent exclusive interview with Megan Dills just proves that he’s still got game. Larry, next time I’m in town, Burke’s Bakery doughnut on me.

We’ll be back bright and early to entertain you the only way we know how. Matt and company take the airwaves at 10 a.m. to preview the Auburn game, 2012 recruiting, and—oh, I give up, they’ll talk about Pitino and Louisville losing.

Until then, enjoy this video of Mike Bibby telling a young reporter that Josh Harrellson is the smelliest and worst-dressed player on the Knicks.

(H/T to Anthony Wireman)

38 Comments for Maxwell Hinton’s Wednesday News and Views

1. Cal Purnell here
    11:13 pm January 10, 2012 Permalink

Point.Blank.Period!!

2. NC Cat
    11:17 pm January 10, 2012 Permalink

Sierra Club…pfffffffffffft! Whatever they say…still anti-coal. Bwahahahaha…Louisville does not exist.

3. champ
    11:20 pm January 10, 2012 Permalink

Ohio state lost to Illinois lol

4. Hillbilly rock
    11:27 pm January 10, 2012 Permalink

Come on Darius.. All we need is an NCAA probe into our players gambling on road trips at hotels when they should be preparing for the game tomorrow!

5. EmmertLovesTipton
    11:29 pm January 10, 2012 Permalink

MKG 1st team is great; but Davis 3rd team? He should be 1st team too.

The kid from Creighton is having a great year, but he’s not better than ten of those guys on DeCourcy’s list. Didn’t we get Jimmered enough last season?

6. BigBlueSkyDog
    11:30 pm January 10, 2012 Permalink

I’m not holding my breath waiting for the administration to allow the The Heritage Foundation to sponsor a game, even though they have far more in common with most UK fans than the Sierra Club. I wish the UK athletics department would stay out of politics. They run the risk of alienating a large segment of their fan base.

7. Make A Wish For UK Nat Champs
    11:37 pm January 10, 2012 Permalink

Saw the game in Auburn 2 years ago when the Wall/Cuz/PPat team allowed a bad Auburn team to give them a game. I hope we play better this time around. Was looking forward to seeing the new arean. Work sadly is keeping me from going though. I have tix to Athens and Columbia games though those are still old arenas (Athens did put a neat glass facade on Stegman last year).

Why do I love UK games on the road? Three reasons. (1) I live a ways away from Lexington. (2) All seats, even the sucky ones, are like lower arena in Rupp except in Georgia Dome. (3) Lots of UK fans there anyhow.
    CATLANTA!
    =========================================================================
    Does the kid have to give back his wish if he gets cured of his cancer? Doesn’t seem right that he gets to blow up a building AND get cured. That’s two wishes come true.

8. SC Dog
    11:39 pm January 10, 2012 Permalink

Friends of coal…pffffffft! Whatever they say…still anti-environment.

9. TTfab
    11:47 pm January 10, 2012 Permalink

we want Tyler! She is good!

10. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    11:51 pm January 10, 2012 Permalink

Loved the story about Maxwell.

11. Tennessee Catfan
    11:57 pm January 10, 2012 Permalink

Went and watched alex poythress for the first time tonite. He went for 37 pts, 10 boards, 3 dimes, and he shot a smooth 90% from the free throw line. This kid is a monster and will fit in so well in Cal’s system next year.

12. wesz06
    11:58 pm January 10, 2012 Permalink

Wow, did anyone see Gottlieb’s top 5 players? His list was some kid from UNLV, McDermott from Creighton, Thomas Robinson from Kansas, Barnes from UNC, and Sullinger from OSU. When asked about a 6th man, Perry Jones from Baylor. This guy is a complete tool who has no clue. I would take Davis and MKG both over any two of his top 5! I had to rant about this. The guy obviously has issues with UK and I don’t value his opinion at all, I just think credit should be given where it’s due. It’s a shame…

13. Ghost of Dolph Lundgren
    12:08 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Doug Gotlieb is anti-coal. #occupydouggotliebbrain

14. Tomas
    12:09 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

I honestly feel sorry for Louisville fans. I felt like I was watching a Billy Gillispie coached team out there. They quit, played with no heart, no emotion, and just looked like they weren’t having fun.

15. ULisEXPOSED!
    12:20 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Oh, schadenfreude, SO sweet.
    Louisville absolutely tanks and OSU cannot rally down the stretch (was that Brandon or Chris Paul?).
    Guess we need to be wary of the unranked.
    ROOOOOOL, Cats!

16. Sypher's décolletage
    12:26 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Now I know what I’m naming my fantasy team next year

17. dave
    12:28 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

did the uk game break ricky/uofl’s spirit?

18. buckets2378
    4:47 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Vandy will be tough for sure. But it won’t BY FAR be Kentucky’s toughest SEC challenge. That will be at MIss. St. They have a better interior than Vandy and a great PG. not to mention their home crowd is more hostile than the one in Vandy.

19. test
    5:37 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

test

20. InTheKnow
    5:39 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

I work with the uncle of one of the players on uofl. He told me about a week ago that Siva knocked up a chick that is not his girlfriend. He was going to wed his gf after college. This all came out right before the g-town game. also, Ware’s dad basically called Siva out on his facebook a few days ago. I hear Rick say last week that Siva needs to refocus on basketball. I guess I know why now.

21. That goofy Kid
    7:02 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

I just killed 100 American jobs so that you would pay attention to me on the news.

22. Hoss
    7:05 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Oh yeah, BTW… F__K! The Sierra Club.

Stupid hippies.

23. Hoss
    7:06 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Darius, you are in Opelika, man. You won’t find BET in ANY hotel in Opelika.

24. Hoss
    7:17 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Let me tell you a thing or two about the Westboro Sierra Club.

Telico in NC? Gone.

Paragon in PA? Gone.

Wellsville, OH trails? Gone

New Jersey Off Road Vehicle Park? Gone.

Spring Creek OR park in Texas? Gone.

This is what they do. They suck America out of America. They are a notch below Westboro Baptist. Avoid this group of scum like the plague.

25. old_school
    7:38 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Children learning to blow up buildings is nothing new in some middle-eastern countries – but those buildings are usually occupied. This was a neat story and great for that little kid. Hope he gets better!

26. bung
    7:59 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

sponsorships must not be selling well…pratt for ad..

27. Hoss
    8:05 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Newsflash- The Bachelor is TANKING in the ratings. Monday night= Lowest ratings for a reality show in 10 years per Bob&Tom Show.

28. bung
    8:19 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

i guess we are just stoopid….risking alienating our coal miner families and multimillion dollar donors for $17k…course we hired barnhead and cappuccino…we need some ky blue on the job…

29. TD00
    8:23 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

8. If you don’t like coal, don’t use electricity. Over 90% of Kentucky’s energy comes from coal. We have the 3rd lowest electricity cost in the nation.

It’s my land, and I’ll do what I want with it. I don’t tell you what to do with your land.

30. Tobias Funke
    8:31 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

I MISS BURKE’S BAKERY CARAMEL LONG JOHNS!!!!

31. green dude
    8:33 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

coal should be a thing of the past. destroys land forever, hopefully one day soon it will be

32. Hoss
    8:45 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Yep, #31, jobs and electricity suck.

33. wise dude
    8:50 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Coal needs to be used until we find REAL affordable alternatives, our country would collapse without the cheap electricity and jobs that it provides.

34. Dacci
    9:14 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

@32, Alternative Energy can create jobs too if people invest in it. I don’t want anyone to be out of a job, but someone had got to get the ball rolling on this. I think it is good for these people to advertise at a UK game. There are a lot of powerful rich people who watch UK. You can start solar, wind, hydroelectric, or some other green technology to go a long with coal, and slowly wean our state off of it. Also, “friends of coal” makes it seem that half our state is employed in the coal industry…its actually less that 1% (check labor statistics for the state). Also more people died working in the coal industry in Kentucky that any other coal producing state.

35. Roundtene
    9:17 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Since we found out the kid is fine, I don’t feel so bad making this joke. But isn’t it kind of ironic that the kid who’s wish was to blow up a building got to fulfill that wish because he had neuroBLASToma? Ha. I’ll be here all week.

36. Storming the COURT!
    9:34 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

If Auburn pulls the upset, do you think they will storm the court?
    Speaking of, I am sure many of you have watched the youtube video of UK beating then #1 UT at Rupp in 2003. Curiously, the video of the end of the game shows quite a few people approaching and then stepping foot on the court. Cheerleaders and camera crews at first, but then it looks like other commoners were able to gain access as well. The video goes down to the court for some handshaking, so there really isn’t adequate footage of the entire court. Regardless, it does look quite crowded. Is this what the hoity-toity in Kentucky call “Mingling the Court”??

37. Steve Fitts
    10:26 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Auburn is not the only school whose new arena is smaller than the old one. The Evansville Purple Aces just moved into the 9,600 seat Ford Center which is more than 2,000 seats SMALLER than their old 12,000-seat Roberts Stadium. I attended a game in the late ’80s at Roberts Stadium when I was living in Evansville where they packed more than 12,600 people into Roberts Stadium for a game between Evansville and their then-archrival Xavier—loudest arena I can remember ever! Evansville doesn’t draw the big, loud crowds that it used to!

38. JackBluto
    11:08 am January 11, 2012 Permalink

Not sure of the year – it was either late Pitino or early Tubby years (but I watched the game on TV), Auburn was really good. They were ranked #1 in the country. They had a forward named Porter that was on the cover of SI that year. Anyway, UK was #3 or #4 in the polls. The game was at Auburn. Auburn won a close game – 2 or 3 points I think. They were higher ranked, they were at home, and they were the favorite. And they stormed the Court.

Will Auburn storm the court? You bet your a$$ they will.