Wednesday Football Practice Notes

Hmmmmmm, I wonder what’s on his mind.

Hmmmmmm, I wonder what’s on his mind.

– Joker Phillips has yet to name a starting QB but said today that with camp nearly halfway through, he feels the team has improved most in their passing and catching. “We’ve done a good job on the practice field, we just have to take it to the game field. We’ve got guys that have great ability, it’s just got to happen on gameday, but I feel better about that.” My guess is that the starter will be announced next Monday after Saturday’s scrimmage, but it’s just my guesstimation.

– On the defensive side of the ball, Joker is much more comfortable with his number 1s on the field. They have had two Springs under their belt now and almost two fall camps to understand the system and Joker believes they’ve got it down. The starters are also communicating much better. Coaches preach it at all levels of the game, and they are pleased with how much talk their is in the first group. The next objective for the Cats to get better on defense is by building depth, and Joker wants to see that same type of communication with his 2nd group.

– Joker also talked about making sure the Offensive Line is communicating like the defense.

“You have to be on the same page across the board; all 5 parts need to be moving together. Our guys were trying synchronized diving yesterday [at the pool], and that’s the way you have to be up front. They have to be in sync, on the same page communicating and that’s why we have to stay healthy.

– The Cats have been bruising since the last time the media got to meet with the team. They’ve practiced 3 times in the last 24 hours, and plan on doing the same thing again tomorrow. Joker was satisfied with the way the coaches have pushed the players, and how the guys have responded. Right now they’re mentally shot with the constant football and a little banged up from all the wear and tear, but nothing significant. Defensive line coach David Turner says it best about his lineman, “Their first day is the last day they’re going to be healthy.”

– Even though there are no significant injuries, Offensive Lineman Zach Myers joins Safety Glenn Faulkner with a sprained ankle and will have to sit out for a couple of weeks.

– As an update on Martavius Neloms’ move to cornerback, he has done more than exceptionally well. Neloms will more often than not be the guy that is locked up one on one with the other teams best WR. His athletic ability makes him more than capable, and will do the secondary core a big favor by allowing the deeper position at Safety to be fought over amongst younger guys, with Dakotah Tyler showing the most improvement.

[email protected]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

17 Comments for Wednesday Football Practice Notes

1. Dickie Z
    8:07 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

Is it basketball season yet?

2. sad but true
    8:22 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

Ya know, I’d almost rather read more about Michael Porter than UK football at this point.

Our season will officially be over by halftime of the uofl game, ya heard it here first! Or second… Or third… Or…

3. BlueBoy
    8:32 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

Why can’t everyone just wish this team and Joker some good luck. You know, everyone can’t be as good as Alabama but everyone needs some fan support. If you guys hate this football team so much why do you continue to read the updates about them? Leave the negative comments out.

4. GaryD
    8:40 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

I really hope we get some good results this year! Joker is such a good guy and his kids have a lot of heart! I will be pulling hard for the 2012 Cats and I have all my fingers crossed for a little bit of luck.

5. Dustin Cordell
    9:18 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

Really think this team can pull out a few wins this year, notsaying they will but I feel like they can pull out 6 wins

6. erniecat
    9:19 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

#2 You must be pretty sick to like to read stuff like that.

7. UKani
    9:21 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

I’ve been saying it but I’ll say it again. My sources have told me that Max Smith has already been named the starter amongst the coaches but won’t announce it or haven’t even told him because they want him to continue to compete and not get complacent in his development.

8. SevenT
    9:25 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

If Maxwell Smith is extremely intelligent, if Smith plays like he did againsg Ole Miss last year we are going to be a very good team this season. I like the way Joker is growing into the Head Coach by keeping it positive and letting the team have some fun. Should be a very interesting opening game against Louisville.

GO BIG BLUE

9. Isaac in Long Beach
    9:32 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

Last week I commented that I believed these Cats COULD beat Louisville, but I didn’t think they WOULD. Now I’m starting to really believe that they WILL. I agree with #5, I’m starting to feel like this group could even muster 6 wins. Just keep the plays fresh, no more run-pass-run EVERY SINGLE POSSESSION, and I think this team could maybe surprise some people.

10. Carnifex
    9:33 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

Fun! Do you think UL is having fun? Or is Strong makin’ ’em sweat their nuts off to make sure they win? Remember the ’78 basketball team? They had fun…right after they won the championship. Win something, don’t get blown out by anyone, then you can have your fun.

11. tdogg40330
    9:45 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

what makes UL so good that most dont think UK has a chance?? Am
    I missin somethin?? UK will be better than most believe

12. paducahfan
    9:49 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

if we run the ball well we’ll beat L.

13. just saying
    11:01 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

ULs defense may be one of the top 20 in the nation, going against our guys that havent even named a QB yet. Now I will tell you I have not seen him play, but I saw Bridgewater on campus the other day and he looks like a totally different kid, looks like hes killed the weight room. UK will need to put on a show to beat UL. Im not saying UL is going to be that good, theyre WAY over rated, but UKs season last year made me sick. Other than beating an absolute horrible Tennessee team by 3 points, we had one of the top 10 worst seasons in the history of UK foot ball, and that is making a heck of a statement

14. duh
    11:04 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

I saw Teddy Bathwater on campus the other day and it made me sick.

15. duh
    11:05 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

I also saw Clint Hurtt and wondered why no one is mentioning his role in the Miami recruiting scandal.

16. Head Bussa
    9:04 am August 16, 2012 Permalink

The main difference I can tell between Louisville and Kentucky is that they have a good quarterback and good, NFL-type receivers. We have an average-at-best quarterback and some very average receivers.

17. Beavis
    5:07 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

I have seen that look on Joker’s face before,,,,all last season.