Watch Willie Cauley get it done

While “Montrezl Watch” rumbles on, I thought it might be good to take a look at a player we already have–Willie Cauley. This highlight reel just hit the interwebs last week and showcases Cauley’s improving prowess around the rim. Watch him get it done.

37 Comments for Watch Willie Cauley get it done

1. GoCats2
    11:21 am May 21, 2012 Permalink

It seriously looked he was playing against a few 12 year olds in some of those shots. I did like seeing the jumpshot though.

2. ATB (Always True Blue)
    11:32 am May 21, 2012 Permalink

I agree with #1, I think the kid has potential because of his size. I know he would dominate most mid-majors and DII schools. However, how does he fair against the elite D1 talent. My guess is better than Eloy, maybe as good as Jorts, but less than Davis and Noel at this stage in his career. He seems to be really slow off the floor is my concern and he needs to really focus on improving that foot speed because he appears to have great hands and size. I think this kid by his Junior season could be our #1 big man in the rotation if he continues to improve.

3. mark
    11:36 am May 21, 2012 Permalink

He barely gets the ball over the rim when he dunks. Hopefully he can improve his vertical so he won’t get blocked every time he shoots.

4. Hamburger
    11:38 am May 21, 2012 Permalink

Can you say Twin Towers part 2?! He looks a little slow off the defensive jump (see the block). But, I think that Coach Cal can get him playing defense at a level that we’ll all like!

5. Bleaker
    11:39 am May 21, 2012 Permalink

3- says the guy who can barely touch the net.

6. Marcus L. Owens
    11:42 am May 21, 2012 Permalink

I like him; long, can run, decent wingspan, athletic. Always better to have project 7 footer than project guards like Hood and Poole. I think its a steal to get a 7 foot kid ranked in the 30-40 range especially when you are signing 3-4 top 15 kids as well.

7. kentuckyjoe
    11:47 am May 21, 2012 Permalink

Awesome, baby!

8. Marcus L. Owens
    11:49 am May 21, 2012 Permalink

2. Way better athlete than Eloy to begin with also, Eloy arrived at UK after a year at FLA and 1 in JUCO this kid is 18 and will be coached by the same staff that helped develop Big Cuz, Jorts and AD. I think this kids is going to be good.

9. bluebloodtoo
    11:52 am May 21, 2012 Permalink

That guy certainly reminds me of Davis. He’s not quite as fluid yet, but neither was Davis when he came out of HS. This guy has two years at UK at the most.

10. bluebloodtoo
    11:53 am May 21, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think his foot speed is the problem. It looks to me like he just isn’t comfortable in all that traffic. He needs experience, the athleticism is there.

11. Sean
    11:55 am May 21, 2012 Permalink

These “highlight” videos rarely impress me. Inferior competition, and all his shots are dunks and gimme lay-ups. Show me a video of him nailing 5-10 feet jumpers and I’ll be impressed. Dude has potential!

12. Sean
    12:05 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

I’m sure I’ll get ripped for saying this, but here goes… Although he has potential, seeing this video doesn’t excite me at all. I agree with some of the other comments: Willie looks slow off his feet. I’ve watched multiple other vids of him, and all show a player who seems to go through the motions. I don’t see a killer instinct. Maybe he will develop it in time. I hope.

13. Tom Sellecks Mustache
    12:21 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Not trying to knock Eloy, but those saying he will be just another Eloy Vargas need to quit knocking Willie.

14. Policy
    12:28 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

I think he’s just what we need. He’ll play against Nerlins everyday in practice, get better and be here for 2-3 years. Plus, there’s not a ton of quality big men in the country. If Deing is considered good, then the talent in that area is poor. #3 – he’s probably just getting the ball just over the rim, cause that’s all he has to do. Why do a monster dunk when you may have 10 dunks a game?

15. Freethrow
    12:32 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

I think this young man will be a step up from Eloy right off the bat. Give him a couple of years under Coach Cal and he will be way better. I do not see the slowness of foot that others claim. No more than most any other 7 footer IMO. As some said, experience will help a lot and he will be getting loads of it this summer. He is tough or wouldn’t have been playing football. I fully expect this young man to give a real effort to improve.

16. bluesman
    12:45 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Willie will be just fine experts can give opinions next year.

17. catcrawler
    12:54 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

#13 Agreed, Willie will develop nicely this upcoming year and get quality minutes.

18. J
    1:01 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

I think he’ll turn into a solid roll player before his time at UK is all said and done…He’s never gonna be Cuz or A.D. good but I think he’ll be a solid big guy who can get some minutes.
    And as far as Eloy goes, hey he got a ring..lol

19. Gman
    1:02 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Ho looks like a poor man’s Tyson Chandler.

20. kentuckyrules
    1:14 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

I think he’ll be one of our fav’s next season. For those really trying to sound like a ‘pro’ based on some crappy videos (even if you watch tons) I really don’t know how you can tell all the ‘problems’ he has. I say we wait to see how he does when he is on the floor this year, and take it from there.

21. BlueNotes
    1:16 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

NEEDS A TON OF HELP WITH HIS FOOTWORK!

Slow off his feet and he jumps laterally not vertically – so he’s not using his height to his full advantage.

He’s playing stand up tall (“throw me the ball up high”) and not really positioning himself to go up and get the ball. i.e they are throwing the ball to him NOT to the spot he needs to be in (that means he’s not very efficient).

He reminds me a bit of that Scott County kid we had – Jared Carter

22. boots45
    1:34 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Jared Carter? Why not Shagari while you are reaching?

23. Ben
    1:34 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Willie is probably at or a little ahead of Vargas at this point in his career and he is only a freshmen. He will be a force by the time he is a junior/senior. He already a better blocker and more mobile than Vargas. Just needs to develop post moves, a jumper, and learn college defense.

24. Jim
    1:40 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

This kid needs to hit campus ASAP to get working with our strength coaches for a few months. With the right people working with this kid and we might have something. One thing you cannot teach is this kids size, length and the raw athletic ability it appears he has.

25. rainman
    1:57 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

I didn’t read all these so if I’m repeating I’m sorry!!
    But did anyone else notice the non-breakaway rims?
    Been a while since I’ve seen any of these!!
    BTW, I think thats why he doesn’t look like he’s getting above the rim,
    he isn’t pulling it down, and doing chin-ups!!

26. Lou eaton
    2:08 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Appears to be playing up to the competition. BUT this guy is beyond a project and will surprise most by the end of this year. Seven footers who can play the game are rare and he will improve each day against Noel. My guess is by mid season we will see him playing alot and by years end he will be a key component of how far we go in the tournament…

27. trent
    2:11 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Guys if he was seven feet, ran like a deer, and played way above the rim my guess is he’d be the number one prospect. He is what he is and theres nothing wrong with a guy whose gonna be around a couple years.I’ll take a big man with good hands any day I’m sure he’ll make some great contributions before his times up. They can’t all be AD.

28. fish on
    2:19 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

he will be a good back up behind Noel. hes got alot of potential, but he doesnt have to be the man. will be around 3-4 years and by then will have nba potential. very nice recruit and hes in a perfect spot backing up Noel

29. Slow white Guy
    2:41 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

I could score on those fools….. I am over 45 with no vertical…..

30. tyrus
    3:24 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

28- agree with your take.

29 – you da man!

31. Rupp's ghost
    3:24 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

I sure hope Coach Cal and Coach O consult all the experts here before he signs some of the 2013 class.

32. High school scout
    3:49 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

29} My late Grandma could take your azz on a arthuritic day for her, unless you play like you talk, behind a keyboard. You’ve only got 30 years experience on those little kids.

33. the Big Dog
    4:04 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

I’ve seen other film on this kid. I think everyone is dismissing the idea that he could contribute next year. The guy can run and he can jump. He needs to play football, too. Can you imagine a fade pattern to a 6’11” receiver?

34. RYNO
    4:28 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

I like that they included a dunk that came well after the whistle blew in his highlight reel. I’m not dismissing him. Looks like he could develop into a nice shot blocker and maybe a lob-stuffer.

35. Jimmy
    4:47 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Anyone else see Tim Duncanish prototype???

36. BlueNotes
    12:07 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

@22 Because he’s not that tall.

Why do you think comparing someone to Jared Carter is an insult. Jared was a competent player coming out of high school with nice hands and some projected upside. Instead, we he got injured and suffered through poor coaching.

Cauley is a competent player coming out of high school, but he’s not showing any college level skills based on this video. He’ll need a ton of coaching to reach the status of servicable backup. Thereafter, if he has a good work ethic and develops, he might be a Jorts. But, he’s just as likely (at this stage) to be an Eloy Vargas

Just because Calipari signed someone doesn’t make them an automatic superstar. For every Jorts we get, we’re MORE than likely to have an Eloy Vargas. A competent, serviceable, back up.

By the way – here is Jared’s UK bio about high school.

“Was a first-team All-State selection in 2005 after guiding Scott County to a 27-4 record and the 32nd District title … Averaged 16.3 ppg and 9.8 rpg during his senior season … Also averaged 6.4 bpg and totaled a state-record 200 blocks in 2004-05 … As a junior, helped the Cardinals to the Kentucky Sweet 16 semifinals, where they lost in overtime to defending state champion Mason County … Posted a 28-7 overall record and claimed the 8th Region title as a junior … Was coached at Scott County by Billy Hicks.”

37. BlueNotes
    12:10 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

“The 7-foot-1 center that ran with the Derek Smith All-Stars and rapidly improved during his senior season picked the Wildcats over North Carolina, Illinois, Boston College, Georgia Tech and Western Kentucky.”