Randall Cobb announces he’s heading to the NFL

randall-cobb-nfl

In a press conference to announce his entry to the NFL Draft, Randall Cobb broke down a few times as he talked about how much it meant to realize his dream and how special three years at Kentucky were for him. He said he agonized over the decision, but ultimately decided to go pro after praying about it following the Compass Bowl and had this little note to Kentucky fans:

“I love ya’ll. Thank you for everything. I hope that in some way shape or form, I was able to influence you or inspire you. For all the kids, I hope you always keep your dreams. Always, always keep pushing after them and let no one stop you.”

If you didn’t love him like family before, you surely will now after hearing what he said.

A few more notes:

– Randall Cobb opened his press conference by talking about his high school career and how proud he was to be a part of the Alcoa tradition before saying that he was told by one major D-1 coach that he could not play at that level.  He then went in to how he was rushed the field when Andre Woodson hit Steve Johnson against Louisville and how he always knew that Lexington felt like home and he couldn’t wait to be a part of the UK family, even when Tennessee came calling at the end of his senior year.

– Cobb then thanked the coaches (Phillips, Sanders and Brooks by name), the administrators and the fans before offering gratituted to his teammates, for whom Cobb said none of this would be possible without them.  He said Tee Martin is like his big brother and coaches him to  be a better man.  He said that what he will miss the most is the UK locker room and all the relationships and memories that came from being a part of that group.

– When speaking to how tough this decision was to make, Cobb said that he consulted with former Cats in the NFL and they all advised him to leave the emotions out of the decision.  He said that the favorable feedback from the league, as well as a chance to reach a dream he remembers laying in bed as a four-year old and wishing for, convinced him it was time to go.

– Cobb also mentioned that he was initially frustrated when he moved from quarterback to wide receiver, but he knows it was the right move.  He acknowledged that the change is what got him to this point and he kept telling himself as he tried to learn to be a wideout.

– When told that Joker Phillips said he has the “it” that you can’t coach, Cobb said his “it” factor is his faith.  Cobb said that he “has something inside of me that makes me want to be the best not only for myself, but for those around me.”

– Along that same line, his faith was a strong component of the press conference as he said he prayed about the decision and spoke several times about “being a blessing” to those around him.  That means teammates and fans and Cobb says that he hopes he’s been able to inspire those who have watched him play to chase their dreams.

– Throughout the conference, he talked about how players come and go through the program and he’s confident that Joker Phillips will continue to bring in athletes who can help take UK to the next level.  And he plans on remaining a fan.  Cobb said, “I will continue to represent this University of the best of my ability and will continue to wear my blue and white.”  Hard not to get emotional about that.

– Cobb said that the feedback that he got from the NFL is that he is projected as a third-round prospect.  He has been told by others that he could go anywhere from 2nd-4th, but the direct feedback is third.  He also added that he researched the potential labor situation and is aware of it, but he is willing to take that risk right now.

– When asked what player he would compare himself to, Cobb responded with Wes Welker and elaborated by saying he thinks he’s a guy who can line up in the slot and return kicks.  However, he’s optimistic that through hard work he can develop into an outside receiver.

– Before he finished, Cobb also added that the first thing he’ll do is get his degree.  He cited a promise to his mother and his father, as well as his grandmother, to earn his diploma and he’s going to set aside money to do so.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

53 Comments for Randall Cobb announces he’s heading to the NFL

1. YearyCat
    12:54 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

One of the greatest. So sad to see him go, but so glad for him.

2. JWNky
    12:57 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Randall has given consistently given Kentucky fans all of his best effort on and off the field. I’m sad to see him go but happy for him and wish him all the best. Another Cat in the NFL!

Thank you Randall Cobb for all the memories.

3. loveforboogie
    1:01 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

brought tears to my eyes *sniff*…..such wonderful guy; wish him nothin but the best.

4. Razzle-Dazzle
    1:05 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

great guy

5. thatsashame
    1:06 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Evan – you were off on your last post. We were competitive in all but two of our games (FL and Pitt). One of those games we didn’t have our starting QB. To even think that Cobb is leaving because we was not featured is silly. Exactly the opposite. If he were anywhere else he probably wouldn’t have had the opportunities he got at UK.
    Normally your posts have a degree of objectivity but this last one was more rant (BTI) and less rational.

6. PortlandCat
    1:14 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

broked

7. Seth
    1:15 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

My favorite player ever to wear the uniform. The only jersey I’ve ever owned is #18 in UK blue. Good luck in the NFL, Randall!

8. Turd Fergeson
    1:16 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

#5…I think you misunderstood Evan’s post. He didn’t say that.

9. CatCrazy 4 Life
    1:16 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Good Luck in all you do Randall. BBN Loves You Man!!!!

10. huge ky fan
    1:18 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

we gonna miss him. but now we need to worry bout how our season is gonna turn out next year it aint lookin to good. trevathen and winston guy need to stay other wise we gonna be weak

11. Chris Thomas
    1:19 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

<3 you, Randall

12. my dog eats better than this
    1:19 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

i liked to say i hope he gets drafted by my favorite team … but i’m afraid the life of a Bengal isn’t much to be excited about

13. saul smith
    1:21 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

5 – you’re way off. on all accounts.

14. ....
    1:22 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

if he goes to the steelers…..i may kill someone

15. CHAD B
    1:23 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Glad to see him go. He deserves it…Joker will be losing more than he thinks, but on the other hand we’ll be losing joker after next years 3-9 season. The only true lock we have as far as the win category is concerned would be the Western Ky game. Jacksonville St. ( just ask Ole Miss ) and Central Michigan are no gimmies, and our streak of wins vs the dirty birds will soon end as well. The SEC will be stacked next year, and I feel like we’ll struggle to get any wins ( like always), but we can always be optimistic about our future and hope we can beat the (getting better than us) Vanderbilt Commodores. A VERY optimistic fan would give us a 5-7 year.

16. Josh
    1:25 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Smart move Randall. UK is going to be awful next year. Good luck my man!

17. Kelsey
    1:25 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

I teared up a little even. Does anyone have a link to watch all of it?

18. UK101
    1:26 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

I love Randall, Do great in the NFL best of luck

19. Calipartytim
    1:28 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

As a Bengals fan & an even bigger Randall Cobb fan, I’d prefer to watch Randall play with Jacob Tamme on the Colts, but I’d settle on having him as a Bengal(hate to wish that on him). Only issue is Bengals are usually blacked out at home recently…

20. Calipartytime
    1:30 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

It’s almost like we lost Randall this year since he didn’t get the ball enough. If he was featured in our offense 15+ touches a game, I bet he would have stayed. You can’t blame him for going…

21. NFL Cats
    1:31 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

I wouldnt be surprised to see him go Patriots. Cobb is comparable in size with Welker, and has the type of commitment and discipline that Belichek loves. I hope he gets a team with a great QB and some available PT.

22. Randall Kobb
    1:33 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Now y’all stop looking into my dreamy green ones and look into this swirly brown one.

23. 2011Baby
    1:33 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

So long Legend. Best of Luck. Thanks for the Memories!

24. Calipartytime
    1:33 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Question : If an underclassmen such as Randall opts for Draft & the NFL holdout does happen, as long as they don’y sign with an agent or accept money can they come back

25. 44 STICHES
    1:37 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Cobb hasn’t even been drafted yet and it is possible he could get drafted by a team I hate but he is already my favorite NFL player.

26. Jonah Hex
    1:38 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Wow- I said this morning he was like Wes Welker, Slot/PR. Then he said the same thing.

Maybe I am Randall Cobb??

27. Yargamel
    1:39 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Definitely the most exciting player to watch the last few years. I think the bowl game showed that it would be best for him to leave now–a scrambling QB in Newton cuts out some of the touches Cobb normally would get. Good luck to Cobb at the next level.

28. Pookie Jones
    1:39 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

I could not be more happy for Cobb! I hope that this decision doesn’t reflect in anyway the way he or Trevathan feel about the direction of the program…

Go CATS! Football looks like it is slipping back to the Billy Curry era to me and I can’t help but feel like nobody cares in the office. If we continue to fill the seats they will continue to serve the mediocre seasons and pipe dreams.

29. ****
    1:45 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Good luck to ya Randall. Appreciate the effort over the years. Gonna make UK football tougher to watch.

30. ThankfulCat
    1:45 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

I’m wondering if deep down he wishes he had gone to Tennessee. He could have really helped them and would have still gotten major looks from the NFL folks.

Oh well, he is a damn good Wildcat who wasted 3 years playing here but gave it his all.

I know he can’t help but be frustrated in the win/loss percentage while here.

Hopefully he laid the foundation for better teams in the future. Unfortunately, I don’t have much hope with Joker at the helm.

31. Mark Emmert
    1:46 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

24) no matter what randall cobb does, i’ve decided that i will rule him permanently ineligible to come back to MY ncaa!

32. Pedro
    1:50 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Come to UK and all your dreams will come true!

33. Alan Cutler's Fart
    1:50 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Can’t believe he’d do this to……. aw shucks. Who could be upset with those eyes? Cobb was an amazing player while he was here, was a tremendous ambassador for UK, and will always be a legend in Kentucky. I hope he has an equally impressive pro career and wins multiple championship rings. The guy deserves it. I’d say that there are at least 4 or 5 games that Kentucky won solely on Randall Cobb’s will power and skill, and there aren’t too many players in the country that can say that.

34. JR
    1:52 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

One of my favorite Cats ever, he was always the one who we looked for in the Cat Walk. Godspeed Randall, and hopefully you can play for my New York Giants next year.

35. GummyBear
    1:55 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

I think he is selling himself short by comparing himself to welker. I see him more of a young Hines Ward (like Welker, but better).

36. Hoss
    1:56 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

sorry…but, BARF.

37. Mr. Typo
    2:01 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

GRATITUTED? HE WAS RUSHED THE FIELD?

38. HilljakLinbeard
    2:06 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Wish the Legend Of Cobb board could have put 20 more TDs on it in 2011, but his Legend will live on for a long time in the Blue & White. Thanks for the fun three years RCobb18.

39. Franktown
    2:08 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Damn… could wildcat nation get some good news soon…? I mean no one blames him for going pro but the pitt loss, kanter ineligible, the uga loss, and now our best football player is going pro… hope Danny stays.. sheesh…worst week ever as a cat fan..?

40. Danny
    2:10 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

It’s sad to see him go but its the best thing for him. Cant wait to watch him on sundays!

41. knightynight
    2:14 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

my mother “are you crying?”

me “no mom, shit! Leave me alone”

42. CallerfromLexington
    2:19 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Good luck Randall! The change for me is that you went from being my favorite UK player to being my favorite NFL player. Please don’t get drafted by the cheating Steelers!

43. emmertsucks
    2:25 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Kudos Cobb

44. rc
    2:54 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

I love Randall!

45. Neil
    3:02 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

I spent my entire life driving from Louisville to Lexington to watch UK football games. I will never like a player more than him and I pray he will get drafted by a good NFL team. While I am the biggest UK basketball fan I know, I have been telling people that Randall Cobb my go down as my favorite UK player of all time(football or basketball). Thanks Randy for giving us more great moments in the last three years that i got in the 18 years combined before coach Brooks took the job.

46. The Fan
    3:42 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Why would you leave when you know Your going to win a championship next year? Kidding! Get out of here Cobb before Joker gets ya hurt.

47. Mborotncatfan
    3:43 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Thank you for everything randall, now go realize your dreams and get paid son.

48. Hard Hittin' CAT
    3:55 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Cobb has my eternal respect. Best of luck in the draft, Randall. GO CATS!!

49. Cristoforouk
    4:04 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

We should all feel so lucky. We have gotten to watch Patrick Patterson and Randall Cobb come to UK and be great ambassadors for this school. Maybe neither experienced the overall team success that they deserved, but you would never be able to tell based on their love for the school and their respective programs. It will be a long time before we have anyone else like either one of them in either program.

50. Chris Cross ova heeh
    5:05 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

Why could Winston Guy have went pro instead :,,,,(

51. Chris Cross ova heeh
    5:06 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

couldn’t

52. Chris Cross ova heeh
    5:10 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

I really hope some recruits/ high school players saw or see the video. That’s as good a recruiting tool as any for a guy to say he became a pro prospect here and it felt like home. Too bad there are no more Cobb’s out there

53. Eugene
    5:52 pm January 13, 2011 Permalink

HE LEFT BECAUSE HE KNEW UNDER JOKER THEY WOULD NOT WIN NEXT YEAR!