Watch the Potential Point Guard of the Future for UK

mudiay

Emmanuel Mudiay is a special talent and one who is taking huge leaps forward in this summer before his Senior year. His performance this weekend has made him jump to the top of some 2014 class lists and it is no secret that Calipari covets him as his point guard of the future. So who is he? Well take a look at these Mudiay highlights and see for yourself:

Article written by Matt Jones

24 Comments for Watch the Potential Point Guard of the Future for UK

1. IcemanJ77
    9:35 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

You can keep Tyus Jones…he reminds me of another Ryan Harrow. Give me Mudiay all day long…..he is the prototypical Calipari PG that makes the engine run right. This needs to be priority #1 for 2014 with Townes already in the bag.

2. Cat89
    9:39 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

Nice. He likes to dunk!

3. Jay
    9:44 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

Everyone take a deep breath… now say it with me… Emmanuel “John Wall” Mudiay. Similarities are eerie. Wall might be a touch quicker but Mudiay is a better shooter.

4. Marcus L. Owens
    9:48 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

He is a lock to UK.

5. SteveA
    9:50 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

I liked the shot he took at the 1:30 mark the best. He goes up with the right hand, was about to get blocked, then switches to his left for the shot. Shame, because I was looking forward to seeing Okafor as a Cat.

6. Iseeu
    9:56 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

Mr. Muiday will thrive in Calipari’s system and the dribble drive.

7. GoCats8
    9:58 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

#3) I agree.. he reminds me so much of Wall, he’s even got the behind the back layup that Wall used all the time.

8. BigBlue
    10:00 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

Assuming the Jones/Okafor package goes elsewhere with Mudiay chooses the ‘Cats, this is what we’ll probably see as the hopeful commitment list:
    PG Emmanuel Mudiay
    SG Devin Booker
    SF Stanley Johnson
    PF Trey Lyles
    C Karl Townes, Cliff Alexander

Not bad. Duke or Mich St. or whoever can have Jones/Okafor if we get this haul.

9. niaps
    10:02 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

I just hope he can shoot the midrange shot as mostly what I see is lay ups and dunks. Cats need a real 3 pt shooter every year or we see zones for ever.

10. Nerlens
    10:07 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

I really dont care if Jones and Okafor go elsewhere.

We already have Karl Towns at Center and there is a strong chance Dakari Johnson is not a one-and-done. That means we already have two centers for 2014 and Mudiay is better than Jones.

11. kristina
    10:14 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

Looks like Archie all over again to me.

12. Will
    10:26 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

#11, not a good observation.

This is our guy. I’ve never been impressed with Tyus Jones and don’t sell short the possibility that we get both Mudiay and Okafor.

13. I Say
    10:36 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

People are over looking Rashad Vaughn in this class. We are going to need to him seeing as this class is very weak at the 2 guards spot. Cal knows this and will get his guy

14. I Say
    10:38 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

I just dont see the Devin Booker kid being THE shooting guard at UK. Kid is a great talent but doesnt seem like Cal’s typical shooting guard, he likes someone who can slash as well.

15. I Say
    10:39 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

doesnt mean he wont come though. I would still be more than happy to have him. Highlight tapes make him look like a D-Lamb

16. UKMike
    10:53 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

EM is the perfect fit for Cal’s system. Based on highlight vids, there’s a discernable difference in skill between Mudiay and Jones, EM looking to be a much more polished PG.

17. Jay
    10:57 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

While I think Mudiay is the better prospect, don’t sell Tyus Jones short. His game IQ is off the charts. Mudiay has the talent, but the turnover bug bit him a lot at Prime Prep. If he solves that issue, he becomes the undisputed number one player in the class. Also, Cliff Alexander is 4 not a 5. He already said he won’t play the 5 in college.

18. Catfan14
    11:25 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

This kid is amazing…he belongs at Kentucky and I agree with a lot of you guys, I’ll take him over Jones if I had to choose. He’s very elusive and hard to dictate where he’s going with the ball, should be a terror for most defenses

19. Sam
    11:49 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

EM is a mix of John Wall (as far as aggression in taking the ball to the hoop as well as looking to pass), but he seems to have some shades of Brandon Knight for the same reason, this guy likes to drive. Brandon is the 2nd best shooter we’ve had here since Cal has arrived. I hope EM can shoot.

He also reminds me of a Deandre Liggins (as a senior PG in HS). Liggins looked to pass and was able to see over the defense, but as you will recall, Liggins was somewhat turnover prone till he adjusted. Of course, he ended up at the two-guard spot because the PG abilities seemed never to manifest.

As far as Jones vs. EM, I would take EM. The videos I have seen of Jones just do not do him any justice. I’m assuming that Jones is great because he’s steady, does not turn it over, CAN shoot, can drive and keep the defense honest, can pass well, and he must have a high b-ball IQ. Jones must be spectacular in the intangibles, and you can’t capture that on film. Or…he may be overrated.

In any case, EM would be the better choice for defensive purposes. 100% of observers surely would agree to that point. The question is, who can shoot better, and run the offense better. I’m guessing that Jones is better on those two points.

20. Jen
    11:50 am April 29, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, but does he have a twin brother who’s also the best shooting guard in his class?

21. Boogie
    1:49 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Why are people still saying 6’9 Cliff Alexander is a Center? He’s a PF no question. I also think Stanley Johnson should start at the 2 guard. And I’m not counting out Derek Willis to develop into a solid 6th man. He is long and can run like a deer. Not to mention his soft hands. He is very coordinated.

22. Nerlens
    3:23 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Agree on Cliff Alexander…..he is definitely no Center.

With 7’1″ Karl Towns already committed and the likelihood that Dakari Johnson returns for another season, we might be done recruiting centers in 2014. I know CAL wouldn’t say “no” to Okafor, but I think he has more important targets in next years class.

23. This Is It...
    4:09 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Go ck out Dwight Anderson…They look a lot alike…I’ll take Mudiay in a heart beat…A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush…We will get other great players..