VIDEO: Cal turns up the intensity in practice

With Camp Cal just a week around the corner, John Calipari has turned up the intensity in Kentucky basketball practice.  Cal told us after the Baylor game that it’s going to get tougher, now you can see it for yourself in this video from his official website.

One thing is very clear in the video: Willie Cauley-Stein better start running when Cal tells him to.

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for VIDEO: Cal turns up the intensity in practice

1. Ryan D
    11:45 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

I like how Cal called them the worst UK team ever. If that doesn’t motivate this team I don’t know what will

2. H.A.Milton
    11:50 am December 10, 2012 Permalink

Some times Cal is kinda confusing, the part about ‘if this is the worst team, I see why they have the most wins in history…’ huh? Sounds like he’s saying its just because the other teams were so good…That would be like an excuse in my mind if I’m the player standing there listening.

3. theSkinny81
    12:09 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

3 – because we expect the best.

4. GoCats2
    12:21 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Cal did not call them the worst UK team ever, he was repeating what the Samford coach said and was saying he was wrong. Then he said if this is the worst UK team ever, he can see how they have the most wins because even the worst team ever is pretty great. Seemed obvious to me.

5. Cal is the best
    12:50 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Coach Cal is the best coach in the nation! He will have these guys well rounded by March!

6. jaxcats8503
    1:00 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Love that Coach Stoops stopped by. HOOPS AND STOOPS!

7. texasfatcat
    1:10 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

I have to admit that sometimes I have to listen to Cal three or four times before I understand what he is trying to say….

8. Backpedaling Baller
    1:27 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

“You haven’t made one in two weeks!!!” Best line I have heard in a long time.

9. H.A.Milton
    1:34 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

8 – ‘Cold blooded!’ Kyle Wiltjer has no business playing anymore of a role than he did last year, IMO. Definitely not starting…I say they need to go with Harrow, Goodwin, Poythress, WCS, and Noel. Sub Mays or Polson in at 16 min. and then bring Wilt in for a couple shots (he needs to open up his inside game a bit too, he has had some nice looks when he actually decides to drive or post up). Also, why don’t they feed post like they did to start every game with Jones last season?

10. MJ4UK
    1:43 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

Only gripe I have about this team’s offense so far is that they ought to run the lob plays way more…a seven footer and a 6 10 guy c’mon. Make Lexington “lob city” again

11. CatFaninNashville
    3:07 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

#10 we have the size, but we dont have anyone to throw the lobs. They been trying and have looked really bad.

12. starting lineup
    3:49 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

will be…

Harrow, Goodwin, Poythress, WCS, and Noel

Cal is working with small lineup now (mays over wcs), but by the tournament, this will be the team

13. Richard
    3:56 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

The practice was right on target. I agree with #9 on the starting lineup, I agree with #10 on lob city. What I don’t agree with is how Cal is screaming in every game. Do that in practice, not in the game. I am a retired college professor and believe me some of these freshman are not ready to be screamed at in front of 20,000 fans and the TV cameras, it may just confuse them and take their focus off what they are doing. I believe in Cal, he is something special but he has to remember that he needs to take a chill pill before the games and do his coaching in practice, during timeouts and at halftime. Some coaching while they are on the court but not to the extreme that he is doing. This team has a lot of talent and if they put it together come March they will be really good! I predict we win about 23 games during the regular season and we make it to the final eight, maybe the final four but to expect a championship with almost all freshmen is not realistic. GO CATS, PROVE ME WRONG, WIN IT ALL! PLEASE, PLEASE BEAT THE CARDS!

14. Lee Buck
    4:30 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

I attended the game with Portland, my 1st in several years. Except for the last several minutes, all I heard was Cal screaming the whole game. Not one time did I ever see him smile. Does the man even like to coach basketball? Coach I did not drive 6 hours to see or hear you the whole game, I came to see young kids PLAY a GAME.