Was This The “Best Week Ever” in Non-Collegiate Sports?

Here at KSR, we’re all pretty used to griping about the off-season. Without Kentucky games to keep us entertained, we pounce upon any speck of recruiting news, amuse ourselves with hypothetical “what if the 2010 and 2012 teams played each other” types of scenarios, and spend way too much time overanalyzing all the athletes’ and recruits’ Tweets. Last summer, we at least had the Olympics to occupy our minds and give us a team to root for; this summer, however, there was a big fat NADA on the sports horizon.

This week, however, blessed us with some truly great achievements in sports- and all in the traditionally BOOOO-RING season too. Could it be the “best week ever” in non-collegiate sports? Let’s take a look back at the week that was and what made it so great:

Sunday, June 16: Justin Rose wins the U.S. Open. Everyone’s favorite underdog, Phil Mickelson, once again let the Open slip through his hands as Justin Rose won his first major and became the first Englishman to win the U.S. Open in 43 years. A strong back nine sealed the victory for Rose, but the most memorable moment of the tournament will end up being the moment after Rose finished the course (above), when he looked up to the sky in honor of his father who passed away when Rose was only 21. The win gives Rose, ranked in the top ten and a four-time winner on the PGA Tour, a great case for being seen as one of the best golfers in the world.

Monday, June 17: Bruins beat Blackhawks 2-0 in Game 3 of Stanley Cup Finals. Although this game wasn’t as action-packed as the first two games of the series (which both went to overtime), the Bruins’ offense put on a clinic for the Hawks, outshooting the home team 35-28 and comfortably avoiding another overtime. Tukka Rask, Boston’s goalie, earned the shutout.

Tuesday, June 18: Miami Heat beat Spurs 103-100 (OT) in Game 6 of the NBA Finals. The Spurs looked like they had the championship in the bag, leading the Heat by thirteen points late in the third quarter and by five with 28 seconds left in regulation. However, Miami refused to back down, going on a 6-1 run capped off by a Ray Allen three-pointer at the buzzer to force overtime. Lebron James had a triple-double (32 points, 11 assists, 10 rebounds), most of which occurred in the second half when his team needed him to step up the most, further strengthening his position in the pantheon of basketball greats.

US Men’s Soccer beats Honduras 1-0 in World Cup Qualifier. Forward Jozy Altidore scored the only goal the men would need- his fourth goal in four straight games, only the sixth player to do that in U.S. soccer history. More importantly, the win put USA right on top of their Hexagonal match pool for World Cup Qualifying. Yeah, I had to look that up myself- basically, there are six teams from the CONCACAF conference (the international soccer conference for North America, Caribbean, and Central America), and they play double round-robin style for three teams to make the World Cup. ANYWAY. This win by Team USA puts them in great shape to make the World Cup in Brazil next year. Anyone want to go with me?

Wednesday, June 19: Blackhawks beat Bruins 6-5 (OT) in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals. If you haven’t been watching this series because you claim to be “not that into hockey,” you’re doing yourself a real disservice. The first two games went to overtime, as did the fourth game, and overtime hockey is one of the most adrenaline-raising events I’ve ever watched in my life (and yes, that includes Kentucky basketball games). The two teams traded goals back and forth in a thriller that featured sometimes sloppy, high-powered offense- something the Hawks have been conspicuously missing thus far in the series- and Hawks defenseman Brent Seabrook nabbed the game winner with just under ten minutes left in the first overtime. Tied at 2-2, the series returned to Chicago tonight starting at 8 pm EST- and the only prediction I’m willing to make about the outcome? Yup, overtime.

Thursday, June 20: Heat beat Spurs 95-88 to win the NBA Championship. There’s no need for flowery prose here. Lebron James played like a Grown Ass Man and claimed what was his, leading the Heat to their second consecutive title by scoring 37 points with 12 rebounds. Dwyane Wade also had a double-double, with 23 points and 10 rebounds, and over on the Spurs side, Tim Duncan scored roughly half his age with 24 points and 12 rebounds. The championship itself is nearly lost in the chatter about Lebron “rising to the occasion” to take his team on his back en route to a trophy and a second straight NBA Finals MVP award (he’s in good company too- the only other NBA players to achieve two straight titles and MVP awards are Bill Russell and Michael Jordan). Viewers got to see a historic sports achievement, hear David Stern pronounce the Heat “champeens,” and take solace in the fact that even Drake gets rejected from locker rooms sometimes (Lebron was apparently in a “no new friends” mood).

And on Friday, the sports gods rested. Game 5 of the Stanley Cup is currently in progress, and as I write this ahead of time, I’m going to be watching the game at my favorite pizza place with my parents, hopefully playing my mom’s suggested drinking game entitled “Take a Drink Every Time Someone Gets Slammed Into The Wall.” But even without knowing the outcome of Saturday’s Game 5, I think the evidence is pretty clear that this has been the best overall calendar week of sports since college football and basketball have ended. Any suggestions of what week might top this one? Leave them in the comments section. And go Hawks.

@KristenGeilKSR

Article written by Kristen Geil

22 Comments for Was This The “Best Week Ever” in Non-Collegiate Sports?

1. Ridge Runner
    9:34 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Good point, Kristen. Save the NBA Finals, it truly was over awide spectrum of the sports world.

We have to add the soap opera that is Aaron Hernandez as well -for those who are into the “drama” series.
    😉

2. Ruck
    9:37 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Well, I dislike the Heat, soccer, hockey and Brits winning the US open. So I’ll say no. This wasn’t the best non-collegiate sports week ever.

3. Andrew
    9:39 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

I’m sorry but I hate hockey, I’ll only watch soccer if it’s the world cup, I love football, basketball and baseball! However, the most pathetic sport, if you can call it that, is Nascar. It is absolutely terrible, why in the world would you watch cars drive in circles is beyond me. And every one of them constantly bitch how the others drive. it’s patheitic! Tenis is meh.

4. Ridge Runner
    9:43 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

3, I don’t know that I hate any sport. Perhaps when I was young, didn’t take time to look into the rules or strategy of certain sports I’m sure I may have hated some. Now, I like some more than others but nah, once you get into some of the sports –I can see why they are followed. NASCAR is strategic with fuel management, pit strategy, car adjustments, etc.. I’m not a so called fan but I can see the strategy there.

5. 44 Stitches
    9:44 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

I would rather watch paint dry, have a root canal or spend my night in the emergency room rather than watch hockey. Living in Atlanta since 1991 every time I see “Go Hawks” I automatically think the Atlanta Hawks. I guess it’s to much to ask for yankees to include black with the hawks. Since they are the blackhawks.

6. Matt
    9:45 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

No one gives a crap about hockey or soccer.

7. Andrew
    9:58 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

4.) i agree that Nascar takes strategy but no athletic ability at all. so i classify it more with chess, checkers, ect. rather than basketball, football, ect. I can see your point though.

8. Ridge Runner
    10:06 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

I guess my best time of the year (to answer your question) is prolly in April and I admit it doesn’t perhaps always fit into a 7 day period but here it goes…

NCAA Final Four, The Masters, MLB’s Opening Day, a NASCAR race, & some years -the beginning of the NBA and NHL playoffs may squeeze into that mix.

9. Beavis606
    10:10 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Soccer and hockey is what Satan makes you watch in hell. If NASCAR isn’t a sport, then golf sure is not. NASCAR drivers lose an average of 7lbs on race day, folders walk around the softest grass on earth

10. Adibazz
    10:22 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

2.) my thoughts exactly

11. Chris
    10:35 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Kentuckians don’t have much of an appreciation for hockey and that’s a shame. While not my favorite sport, it’s incredibly fast-paced game with drama and tension.

12. dirt
    10:39 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

9) i once weighed myself before and after dropping deuce, and i lost about 2 lbs… so is that a sport too?

13. Ruck
    10:47 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

11) Uh, the US doesn’t care about hockey. That’s why it’s never shown on major cable. It’s for old, white, northern Americans and Europeans.

14. Pancreas
    10:50 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Hey #13 turn your TV to NBC.

15. LeX
    11:02 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Uh the 24 heures du mans is on currently AND nascar at sonoma is tomorrow in addition to the confederations cup thats currently going on in brazil.

Youre such a filthy causal. I really wish you didnt write for this site.

16. Ruck
    11:04 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, meaning regular season games leading up to the title. NBC is cable? neat.

17. JBR
    11:07 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

3, nascar is nowhere near a sport…and this article is pretty sad. It really must be slow out there to write an article like this talking about these useless sports/”non-sports”. The NBA is decent when there is absolutely nothing else to watch.

18. Brrrrrbon
    11:47 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

The article didn’t mention NASCAR. The posters who mention it are obviously fanboys failing to deflect the incompetence of the writer. Standard kayessarrrr

19. ukfan
    9:29 am June 23, 2013 Permalink

Ray Allen didn’t hit a 3 at the buzzer in game 6, there was over 5 seconds left. Parker missed the game winner at the buzzer.

20. Boone
    11:07 am June 23, 2013 Permalink

Outside of Games 1, 6 and 7 (to an extent), it was an incredibly boring series of blow-out after blow-out. The hockey finals have been good I guess, but nothing overly spectacular. The US Open didn’t come down to even the last couple of holes. Soccer is in an off-year cycle, with the Confederations Cup (sans US) and WC qualifying going on.

I would say that this same week every fourth year (with the WC kicking into high gear, NBA/NHL finals, US Open, etc.), would typically top this past week. Really the only thing we will remember from this week in 5 years will be Game 6. June 17, 1994 (of 30 for 30 fame) fell in this week several years back, and was insanely more action packed in one day than this entire week.

21. Soccer?
    2:42 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

20) Soccer is an off year? This summer has been great! I have seen Champions League finals, lots of World Cup Qualifying, U21 UEFA tourney, Confederations Cup, plus the U-20 World Cup is going on right now.

6) No one gives a crap about soccer? It is only the most popular sport in the world… The fanbase is reported to be between 2.5 and 5 billion, so yeah, if by no one, you mean except 35%-70% of the entire world’s population, then U R RITE.

I think reactions like this add to the world disliking Americans.

22. Hanging Chad
    5:53 pm June 23, 2013 Permalink

Nice look at sports outside the collegiate realm.. “No one cares about hockey and soccer…”? You’re showing your own ignorance dudes…