Wake up. They won.

uk-fan-passed-outThis about sums it up.

It was ugly in Nashville Thursday night.  In fact, it was so ugly that simply calling it ugly might be far too complimentary. Kentucky committed 3 turnovers, netted 175  total yards (35 in the first half) and slugged their way through three and a half quarters before Morgan Newton broke it open in the fourth quarter with a 58-yard run and a 31-yard touchdown pass to LaRod King.  Martavious Neloms sealed the game with an interception (Kentucky’s third of the night) on the next Hilltopper possession and Joker’s squad clinched a 14-3 victory.  ESNPU announcer and the lesser half of Dave and Dave, Dave Neal, summed it up best by saying, “This game hasn’t been pretty, but it’s certainly been close.”  Word.

And while the Cats walk away from Nashville with the victory, they do so with far more questions and concerns than they had entering the game.  This offense is nowhere near where it needs to be in order to compete with anyone, let alone the SEC, and had Western not missed badly on two potential touchdown passes and shanked a field goal attempt, we might be talking about how the Cats could bounce back from a disasterous first game.  Nonetheless, the Cats are 1-0 and Central Michigan is next.  We’ll have more in a bit…

In the meantime, make sure you tune in to the UK postgame show hosted by Matt Jones, which will start in about an hour.  You stream it online here or tune in the old fashion way by turning your radio dial to 840 WHAS or 63o WLAP.   And, as always, you can let your voice be heard by calling (502) 571-8484.

RISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Article written by Thomas Beisner

89 Comments for Wake up. They won.

1. Dude
    12:38 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

WINSton Guy had a good game, 2 picks and several nice tackles. Also Tydlacka and Trevathan (of course).

2. Tydlacka
    12:39 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Am I the MVP?

3. JRA
    12:39 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

looks like another year of pitiful!

4. RidgeRunner
    12:40 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

We suck. Fire Joker. good friggin night.

5. catlanta
    12:41 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Aaaaaaawwwwwwfffffffffuuuuuuuullllll!

6. Fear the Lamb
    12:42 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

H O R R I B L E !

7. Final Four
    12:43 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Wake up. We suck. Move on. 3-9 at best.

8. Mike Leach
    12:44 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

hey guys, just sitting down here in the Keys sipping on a margarita. i’m available as a mid-season replacement. just sayin’

9. RICH BROOKS
    12:44 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

I would have won by 30………….Joker’s a joke……..fire his ass………….

10. Defense
    12:44 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Defense wins championships. We only gave up 3 points. Unlv scored more than that against Wisconsin tonight.

11. baddbeat
    12:46 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Wow!!! I’m a Morgan Newton fan!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. mocha
    12:47 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

At least Bledsoe can jump high, UK fans have that going for them

13. Perfect Season LOL
    12:47 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

One down, thirteen more to go!

14. "Jamal" Vitale
    12:50 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Big Blue Madness is a little over a month away baby!

15. the other maggard
    12:50 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Pitiful, absolutly horrible. They are not close to being a SEC team. Joker just don’t have it. Brooks knew when to get out. Offense is horrible, can,t catch, can’t throw, can’t do much of nothing. At least we can punt like a champ.

16. RidgeRunner
    12:51 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Most unprepared offensive group I have seen since 1976. I’m old & pissed.

17. Mark Liptak
    12:52 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Thank God basketball practice starts in six weeks.

This was totally and completely awful tonight.

Mark Liptak

18. the other maggard
    12:53 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Pitiful, absolutly horrible. They are not close to being a SEC team. Joker just don’t have it. Brooks knew when to get out. Offense is horrible, can’t catch, can’t throw, can’t do much of anything. At least we can punt like a champ.

19. Cat fan
    12:54 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Son of beach! That was terrible! Hope newton realizes or backfield sucks! He better show he is a threat or we are skewed!

20. HuntsVegas
    12:55 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Hey Western is GOOD.

21. Greg Fisher
    12:55 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

I could beat UK with a handful of Mexicans and Chinese off the streets of Louisville

22. K
    12:57 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

I like Aumiller and the RB

23. Pain
    12:58 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

I must be a sadist. Im also a uk fan. I also like to be repeatedly punched in the sack.

24. catfever
    12:58 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

This was pitiful, instead of rise we should call it operation sink.

25. RidgeRunner
    12:58 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

They won the line of scrimmage against us from the very first damn play until the end of the friggin game. We even had the lucky “breaks” go our way, Wrong routes ran, missed tackles, no blocking, our QB was in another world except for one play where he ran becuase there was no other option and one good throw, we had our coach again walking the sidelines distracted by talking, looking around, whatever the hell he was doing, and the whole offense looked like a rec league bunch of kids at practice. Sonofa!

26. MacGruber
    12:59 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Operation “TURD”

27. random
    12:59 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

We also have that basketball team that went to a Final Four and had a 35-3 record the last two seasons Mocha. We know football has never been our sport. So losses don’t really effect most of us much. A good Football team once would be cool though.

28. the other maggard
    12:59 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Good thing basketball is coming up. I can’t stand watching another minute of Tydlacka. He is good but come on best plays of the night came from a punter, give me a break. Record 3-9 guaranteed good thing we didn’t play Louisville tonight.

29. they suppose ta be sec
    1:00 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

back to the bill curry days the best at punting and mediocre at everything else

whoever the punting coach is needs a raise pakulak, mathstay and ryan tydlaka Can the punter play every position?

30. bung
    1:00 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

i picked UK 7-6….we were better than that

31. tdogg4033011
    1:01 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

defense looked good, that was a really good rb they contained tonight. Newton threw
    some nice passes, WR’s just need to make some plays. Clemons showed flashes & hits the
    hole really hard. Give the offense a few games & the defense keeps playing like they did
    tonight & this will be a pretty good team.

32. The Dude
    1:02 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

When the defense almost catches more passes than the offense, you might need a change.

33. RidgeRunner
    1:02 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

27..Hell, I’m not even expecting good -seriously…I’d be happy with a prepared and have poor execution. We can’t even do the latter. Thats what pisses me off.

34. BigBlueSkyDog
    1:02 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

23) I with you, bro. I’m suffering from battered fan syndrome. I’ve been watching UK football since the Derrick Ramsey/Art Still days. Each year I keep tricking myself into thinking that THIS YEAR will be the year we return to those glory days. Well, it sure as hell won’t be this year.

35. KYStout
    1:03 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

The SEC is going to destroy us this year. It’s going to be ugly.

I’d say 5 wins is within our reach if everything goes our way. That 26th straight loss to UT is gonna suck though.

36. they suppose ta be sec
    1:04 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

21) hahaha i literally choked on my mountain dew when i read that. they could get jerseys that say “keep louisville weird”

37. the other maggard
    1:05 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

#31 pretty good tell me what you saw that made you think they will be pretty good. Worst team in a long time Joker is done because he is a joke. Lets get Phillip Fuller signed up at least he can recruit guys that can catch.

38. chief_cat
    1:06 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Mikey Benton looked really good tonight. He stepped in and did a nice job. Hopefully he gets to see more playing time as a result.

39. HuntsVegas
    1:07 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Western is GOOD.

40. ricky bobby colonel sanders
    1:08 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

joker is too drunk to taste this coaching job

41. RidgeRunner
    1:09 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

I am very patient or I couldn’t call myself a UK football fan since 1976.

But I came un-glued tonight because this team was NOT prepared. I can take losses, individual poor performances, mistekes, etc.. But when this staff fields an offensive group like what we just saw…that is enough to make me go ballistic.

42. the other maggard
    1:09 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

#39 Defense ain’t the problem you also have to move the ball. Teams don’t win if they can’t score.

43. tdogg4033011
    1:09 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

37) Clemons will be good and Newton can throw a deep ball. If the WR’s step up
    this team can be decent on offense. I think the defense is pretty good already.
    They’ll look alot better next game ……

44. yoyoyo
    1:11 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

so the show doesnt even start until like 130? holy majoly.

45. bung
    1:11 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

I think we can win 7…over the next 3 years.

46. cats11
    1:14 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Kentucky didn’t beat WKU. WKU beat WKU.

47. bung
    1:14 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

barnhead meant to hire bcg as the football coach

48. the other maggard
    1:15 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

#44 Well for starters the big bad offense line we supposedly have couldn’t block a pee wee team. And Newton couldn’t throw a 5 yard pass. Larod King is a joke like Joker and that is the best option so can you say screwed.

49. SouthBeachWildcat
    1:15 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

I still believe this is a 6 win team with our defense. Our offense will improve………..but it looks like Tennessee for bowling again

50. they suppose ta be sec
    1:15 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

dude that stream sent me to a station with a bunch of weirdos talking about alien encounters and UFO’s it must be a UK coaching meeting about to prepare for a game.

51. BigBlueSkyDog
    1:15 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

42) I think you summed up our frustrations perfectly. I WISH this team looked as good as the Bill Curry era but it did not even accomplish that. The last three games of the Joker Phillips era has been the worst stretch of football I’ve seen as a UK fan. I liked Joker when he was hired but the truth hurts.

52. john4uk
    1:18 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Absolutely one of the worst games i’ve witnessed in a long time.I’m extremly harry the team won,but don’t feel good about how they won.I guess expectations were too high.Just expected a better performance from this team and coaching staff.

53. john4uk
    1:18 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Absolutely one of the worst games i’ve witnessed in a long time.I’m extremly happy the team won,but don’t feel good about how they won.I guess expectations were too high.Just expected a better performance from this team and coaching staff.

54. Danial
    1:19 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

What a bunch of damn wieners and cry babies. It was the first game of the season, and we looked bad. Big Whoop we still won! If I remember right our offensive line was decent-good last year and its the same bunch of guys .. they are banged up(just like your mom) and will get better. Our defense is 1000 times better than last year. Morgan Newton had a freakin terrible game, but I think he will get better once he gets a little more time ( just like your mom). Some of you need a basketball shoved up your arse

55. they suppose ta be sec
    1:20 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

55 what about the two games before this one? wake up

56. chief_cat
    1:20 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

#43 – I couldn’t agree more. I was just being a homer. Mikey has worked hard but ridden the pine. He finally got a chance tonight and came up big. Glad to see the kid get a break and make the most of it.

Other than Mikey’s play along with the obvious good play by Trevathan and Guy and excellent punting by Tydlacka we sucked!

57. damn joke
    1:21 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

uk football is a damn joke. sorry but uk is a bunch of freakin idiots. they try and sell “operation win” which netted fewer conference and overall wins and now “rise” which obviously has barely gotten us above the sun belt conference. uk please quit hyping football because it is the old ul formula, oversell and under-deliver. this program is disgusting. god damn worst game ever and i am so freaking glad i only paid 10 to get in yet i still feel i was ripped off. i hate you uk football and usa soccer for constantly building hope and letting us down.

58. DiverSteve
    1:27 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

OK…I am 53 years old, and grew up on UK sports. I was enrolled at UK when Joker was a player. I was at the game tonight. It is the very last time I will ever spend a dime to watch UK football. Western was the better team tonight. They just failed to connect on a couple of opportunities. They were better, they were faster, they out-hustled us, and they wanted it more than we did. This may have been the most disappointing effort I’ve ever witnessed.

59. Cousins
    1:27 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Is walking around with drew Franklin on broadway.

60. Ray
    1:28 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Newton will only be as to run for so long before we have to gun. Don’t get me wrong I’m not ready to give up on the ole’ boy just yet, however, maybe Maxwell Smith should start really studying that playbook….what say you?

61. tom leach
    1:28 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

joker sounds like a defeated man ” we need to throw and catch”

62. the other maggard
    1:28 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

We can’t run the ball for god sakes and this was Western, just wait till SEC play worst rushing and passing team in the SEC for the last decade. Joker needs to “rise” on out. I just don’t see the offense getting much better, not good enough to compete in the SEC.

63. Culver
    1:29 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Anyone have Ryan Mossakowski’s phone number???

64. Cousins Fake Teeth
    1:31 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Im still hearing Coast to Coast AM. No pregame show, streaming or on radio for 840.

65. Culver
    1:32 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Does anyone have Ryan Mossakowski’s phone number???

66. the other maggard
    1:34 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

#61 Absolutly I mean come on you let Mossakawski go for this chump. My little boy can throw better and at least he don’t fall like an uncoordinated idiot.

67. charles
    1:34 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

STOP COMPLAINING!!!!! THOSE THAT ARE COMPLAINING COULD NOT DO ANY BETTER,IF PUT IN THAT SITUATION!!!!!GO CATS

68. Adam
    1:35 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

It just wouldn’t be Kentucky football if Kentucky fans didn’t hate on their own team. One game doesn’t make a season. If you’re not a coach, quit worrying, stop acting like you’re an expert on all things football, and stay quiet until basketball season. Go Cats.

69. the other maggard
    1:38 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

#68 You would be suprised. So your’e telling me that you thought the coaching staff had this team prepared. If you said yes you must be kin to Joker.

70. the other maggard
    1:44 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Joker should be coaching in high school not college. I just don’t see what Brooks seen in him. He’s not good enough to coach in the SEC. His game preperation just ain’t there. To coach in the SEC you have to be great and Joker just don’t have it sorry to ruin your night but the true hurts.

71. Ray
    1:44 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

#67 don’t get me wrong I think if Joler named Newton the starting QB then he should stay with him a little while longer, because we all know you don’t give up on your QB after 1 bad game, plus we know that Newton has it. But if he thinks his legs wil carry him this year he is sadly mistaken, especially when we start SEC play. In SEC play it’s simple, if you can’t pass you can’t win…so, I think Joker (FWIW) shod stay the course with Newton for now, but I think Smith should be prepped to step in at a moments notice. All in all we did win and I’ll be the same Cats fan now as I was when they were handing out tickets at Fayette Mall for free for FB games under the Curry admin LOL!

72. bung
    1:45 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

we need to build a larger stadium

73. Mcaskell
    1:48 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

I got interferred on the interception

74. the other maggard
    1:52 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

#73 Build a larger stadium are you kidding we need to invest in better coaching before we make that move. Build a new basketball arena thats where its at.

75. kelkat
    1:53 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

OK…that was ugly…real ugly…but we won. Newton had some good deep passes…struggled with the shorter stuff. Made some bad decisions. WR’s dropped some passes that should have been caught. I think that Newton needs to run a lil’ more when things bring down instead of trying to force an ill advised pass. Ugly…ugly game…

76. bung
    1:54 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

75…it was a joke, and i left out the part about playing them all at midight on a tuesday

77. Junner
    1:58 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

55 Big ‘uns!!!!

78. Ray
    2:07 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Sorry all, after reading my previous posts, I realized that I need to quit replying with my iPhone and stick with the iPad. I was typing like I ain’t got no teef’s

79. bubbles
    2:32 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Ppl that say the d looked good are sadly still delusional…did anyone else notice how open the receivers were, their QB just wasn’t good enough to place it…they had their chance to win..wait until an SEC game…it will be more than painful

80. Mossakowski
    5:02 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

threw for 400+ yds and 5td. Just sayin…

81. Sam Kegley
    6:54 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Mr. Beisner,

This was an excellent summary. This oldster (78) could not stay awake but believe you accurately reported the “inaction”. Early on, it appeared that WKU wanted the game more than the KY players.

Mitch Barnhart recently told our Central Ohio UK Alumni crowd that, although football and basketball brought in the revenue for the UK sports programs, football is ‘must’ to support the multi-million dollar operation.

The players cannot forget that they must show the spizzerington (sp? and an archaic term) to deserve the fan support. Half-way is no-way!

82. MtnCat
    7:26 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Rise?

83. ZZbottom
    8:36 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

I TOLD YOU ALL.

THIS is a very bad team this year. 4-8 is what I said!

There was a reason newton didn’t start over Fartline for two years……….

We may go Zero in SEC games this year!
    LOL to all those saying 9-3 or 8-4 hahahaha.
    WKu is one of the WORST d-1 schools in the country….

Go Cats – Basketball that is.

84. ZZbottom
    8:42 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

I said this last year and I’ll say it again.
    UK football will NEVER, EVER, improve until the fans S T O P supporting the garbage they produce.

Why would UK invest in better coaches, stadium ext when the fans buy all the tickets and spend spend spend on a crap product. If UK spends more on bette coachs they will only still receive what the fans have been giving them all along…The fans need to stop suppoorting them UNTIL a better product is provided…Stop the $$$$ flow to UK and i promise CHANGE will happen fast..

$$$ Talks.. And the fans are giving it to them for crap. Why spend more when you’re already getting all the available money from the fans……

85. tdr76
    8:43 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

When does basketball start?

86. Josh
    8:50 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Morgan Newton SUCKED ASS LAST YEAR AND SUCKED ASS LAST NIGHT, JOKER DIDNT DO A GREAT JOB AS A COACH EITHER!

87. CSR
    9:55 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Haha UK football blows

88. hersheyisabear
    10:03 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Yes we all complain about our team but we always support and watch the games. We just want to win and we will not win with Joker.