Vote for the 1996 and 2012 squads as the Best All-Time Team

It’s been awhile since we’ve had a good poll to dominate. To celebrate the 75th anniversary of March Madness, NCAA.com has a series of “All-Time” polls. The Cats made the list for All-Time Teams twice, for the 1995-1996 and 2011-2012 squads. Here are their descriptions of each:

1996 National Champions

A total of 10 players from coach Rick Pitino’s championship squad went on to play in the NBA. Seven of those were chosen in the first round. Known as the “The Untouchables,” this team is regarded by many as one best in college basketball history.

2012 National Champions

Head coach John Calipari led Kentucky to 38 wins in 2011-12, the most by any single team in NCAA men’s basketball history. No other team came within eight points of the Wildcats in the tourney, as a roster loaded with future NBA draft picks and led by freshman sensation Anthony Davis rolled through the tournament to the title.

It may be hard to choose between the two, but you can only vote for one (at a time). Go vote for them here:

NCAA All-Time Voting: Team

18 Comments for Vote for the 1996 and 2012 squads as the Best All-Time Team

1. Bhage
    11:25 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t know Ed Davis was on the 2012 team….

2. cracka
    11:27 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

they have that instead of anthony davis …

3. hi
    11:29 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

There are 4 KY players in the “best all time players” section too.

4. Viren
    11:30 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

I guess every time Carolina wins a title they are the greatest ever. I think that poll is kind of stupid to be honest with you. You can’t put every damn team on it–

5. Behind Enemy Lines
    11:34 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

So who do we vote for as the fifth player? I’ve got Delk, Davis, Givens, Issel, and… Mack?

Also, we should vote as a group for either ’12 or ’96. Splitting votes between the two wont help. I’m going ’12.

Best Moment… 2012, Duke goes down.

6. BBN
    11:40 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

Oh look, an online poll…..prepare to be dominated.

7. Jefe
    11:43 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

Don’t forget to vote for Givens, Issel, Davis, Delk

8. wildcat502
    11:45 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

Macy
    Delk
    Givens
    Issel
    Davis

All day

9. gossie21
    11:47 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

10 Players on the 1996 team played in the NBA?

1) Antoine Walker, 2) Tony Delk, 3) Walter McCarty, 4) Mark Pope, 5) Ron Mercer, 6) Derek Anderson, 7) Nazr Mohammed 8) Wayne Turner, 9) Jeff Sheppard.

Who am I missing? Scott Padgett wasn’t on that team, did Allen Edwards (Or Oliver Simmons or Jason Lathrem?) get a cup of coffee in the NBA?

10. ONE EYE
    11:55 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

They will blow this off if KY gets to many votes HA HA HA

11. Biglaw Dawgin'
    12:16 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

In addition to voting UK in for best team, we need to vote AGAINST the Christian Laetner shot for best moment. You know if it wins it’s going to be played 1000 more X’s than it already is in March. Since I’m sure it’s the favorite, we need to all vote on one other video. I’m just going to pick one and say the Bryce Drew shot, which was actually pretty awesome. I still hate Laetner.

12. BNClay
    12:27 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Was Magliore a freshman on the ’96 team? Idk

13. Heisenberg
    1:09 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

#9 must be a typo cause only 9 made it which were the ones you listed

14. Jason
    1:18 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

You have to go with the ’96 team. No question. As far as best moment, I disagree with #11. Yes, the Laettner game still hurts, but I’m proud of the Unforgettables for playing their guts out in that game. Yes, they took the loss but I’m proud that it took the greatest play in bball history to beat them. I voted for that moment because everyone should know just how special that team was.

15. Rockfield, KY
    1:37 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

I voted for the 96 team

Added Hurley into my startin 5 with the 4 UK players bc even though I HATE Duke, I always respected Hurley

Voted for NC State because it was a buzzer beater for the national title and the NC ST fans I met when living in NC were by far the best fan base in the state.

16. Charles
    1:52 pm January 9, 2013 Permalink

Can we get a post about the NCAA cover contest the next round of voting started today

17. fhied