Volunteering: It Doesn’t Pay

“Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness.” (photo via ymswwc.wordpress.com)

My post today is short, and truthfully it’s not much of a post at all.  It’s a plea.  Tonight we play the University of Tennessee Men’s Volunteers at Rupp.  The biggest deal surrounding the game so far has been the platinum jerseys.  Love them? Hate them? Didn’t know we were wearing them?  Irrelevant.  Players like them, recruits like them, good.  Right now we shouldn’t care.

Tonight we have the chance to maintain the sweep of UT in football and men’s and women’s basketball.  This is a big deal.

We take for granted that our men’s basketball team is always better, and it usually is.  They may steal a heartbreaker or two from us from time to time, but by and large, that’s the sport we own.  The other two?  That’s a whole other story.  Our women’s team has been stellar the past few years under Matthew Mitchell, but the Lady Vols are a legendary program.  One that has already dropped the first of two games to A’dia Mathies and company in Memorial.  I don’t even have to remind you of the torment Tennessee has levied on us during football season for the 26 years before this one.  When you’re still posting videos of alumni celebrating a meaningless (read: non-bowl earning) win over two months after the actual miracle, that speaks to the level of loathing we have for that program historically.

But this year… this year is different.  We snapped the streak.  We took the top spot in the SEC from their hoops team.  Our basketball boys didn’t care that Jarnell Stokes was a pre-pubescent manchild able to dunk a basketball, but not tie his shoelaces.  They took his lunch money anyways.  We are on the verge of owning Tennessee in a way we have never seen before in my lifetime.  The planets are aligned, the tides are rising, and the basketball gods have given us this opportunity to dismantle a program that absolutely, one-hundred percent deserves it.

I told you all that to tell you this:  I want Rupp Arena to be louder tonight than it was for North Carolina.  Basketball-wise, this game isn’t as important as that one was.  For the fans, though, it may be the biggest non-tournament game we play all year.  Don’t let the respective records dissuade you; we ask our players to have that killer instinct on the court, so we need to have it in the stands.  Kill them.  Take their dignity.  Leave them without hope.

Please, make this the year that they are weighed, measured, and found wanting.  Cheer loudly and relentlessly.  But most importantly…

Show no mercy.

Article written by Corey Nichols

38 Comments for Volunteering: It Doesn’t Pay

1. Ulfdog
    9:05 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Best post of your career

2. Another Perspective
    9:08 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Yes! Kill them!

3. DREWBLUE
    9:09 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

ABSOLUTELY!

4. nassau65
    9:12 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

i wouldn’t bet the spread, but i don’t think it’s a close game.

5. HOO HOO
    9:14 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

How come UK only gets shown on ESPN3 and ESPNU? SEC needs to step up to Big Boy Basketball like the Hoosiers and Big Ten.

6. wilDCat
    9:15 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

I wholeheartedly agree. Love it.

7. RicksAuntWithGoodEyes
    9:19 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Good post! One problem I see is the kids on this team really don’t care about Tennessee and are probably friends with some of the UT players. As fans we forget that these UK players have no idea about the rivalries that we hold with other programs, nor do they really care. Hell, I live in NKY and honestly, up here, most UK fans couldn’t care less about UT. I hate the University of Cincinnati more than UT, and it’s not even close! This game may mean more to you and every other UK fan that lives south enough to care about that orange state, but to a lot of us, including the players, I bet this game doesn’t come close to that UNC game. Really, how could it?

8. Stone Cold Willow
    9:19 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

HOO HOO You still using rabbit ears?

9. Bulldawg
    9:20 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

I agree with #1. Make ’em bow to the brow!!!!

10. CATS
    9:20 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

5.) We are shown on ESPN more than any team in the country. You obviously do not watch much college bball. Now scat you oblivious troll!!!

11. kyle heavy
    9:24 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Holy ish if you havent seen Blake Griffin’s dunk last night go check it out.

12. Al's IndiCats
    9:26 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Hoo Hoo, where’s your beloved Hoseiers ranked this week? Oh Yeah they’re in “THE IRRELEVENT” side of the scale. Pretty soon they’ll be ranked right off the chart.
    This is what every Hoseier will be asking themselves in the weeks to come….To the NCAA tourney or N.I.T.? NCAA or N.I.T.? My money’s on the N.I.T.! Why you may ask? This way you will have the friendly confines of that cesspool of ASS-embly Hall that Knight built. Where in the NCAA you all will have to travel somewhere, and we all know how IU travels….NVG= Not Very Good! Enjoy your stay in the top twenty, because next week it very well can be in the top 25. Have a UK day.

13. Catlanta
    9:27 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

5) If the Big Ten is so good why don’t you Hoosiers rush the court after every single conference win?

14. Wes
    9:28 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Pain does not exist in this arena! NO Coach Calipari! Fear does not exist in this arena!No Coach Calipari!

15. WEASEL
    9:29 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

#5-How many national TV games a year does IU get? 2, UK and the SUCKEYES? And less you forget, UK played deep into the tourney the last 2 years while the LOOSIERS sat at home. Talk to us when you get to #1…oh, I don’t mean #1 in remedial reading.

16. Sholler
    9:30 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

13- They probably would if they could actually win a conference game.

17. fat jesus
    9:30 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

shhhh……….i think i just heard another overrated iu chant

18. Head Bussa
    9:31 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Twitter post from a Los Angeles sports reporter last night:

Eric Bledsoe making season debut, standing ovation from Clippers fans chanting “Bledsoe! Bledsoe!”…glad to have their @EBled24 back

19. Head Bussa
    9:33 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

How awesome that must be for Eric to get that type of reception. He deserves it all with what he’s been through and accomplished.

20. yeahright
    9:37 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

1. It doesn’t matter, but I dig the unis. Of course, I’m old enough to recall the denim unis, so, hey, these are incredible in comparison.

2. I would rather win this game than beat UL any day of the week. PLEASE bring it tonight, fellas!

3. Due to AAU, guys have friends all over the place on many teams. And, of course, most of our guys aren’t from Kentucky and did not grow up caring about UK nor any of our rivals. However, I think they will play hard regardless. UT, though they have not played well on the road, can be a very dangerous team. Stokes is the real deal, Golden can get hot, Maymon is strong, etc.

4. Different games mean different things to guys. I’d wager UNC meant a TON to John Wall, while the UL may have meant more to Teague (wanting to perform well since he turned down their offer), the same way Hickey for LSU obviously wanted to perform well against us, etc. In the end, the coaches should be able to motivate the guys to play hard no matter who the opponent may be.

If we play hard, and just one of our top six guys has the hot hand, I think we can win this game by 10. If not, it could be a long night.

21. St. Paul Raiders
    9:44 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

7-Understand your point and in lots of cases I would agree with you, but I’d be willing to bet that Darius understands these rivalries and communicates their importance to this team.

22. JPhelps
    9:45 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

The ghost of Heath Ledger would be proud of that last comment!

23. bluebiscuit
    10:03 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

It seemed like Wall and Cousins and that team really got into being at UK and whipping on some SEC teams, and winning the SEC championship. It was great how they really seemed to embrace being part of the UK tradition. Last year and this year, have the freshmen been into it as much? Probably not.

24. HOO HOO's mom
    10:03 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

please ignore my child. he actually thought…get this…that Indiana would be a good team this year after those 2 big home wins. they had us all fooled. they would lose to a high school team if it meant traveling. when I’m at home, I can intimidate my cat but when I visit friends with cats they usually scratch me and it hurts.

25. fiddlestix
    10:05 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

where’s the link?

26. Hoss_Cat
    10:13 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Louder than Carolina? not gonna happen dude.

27. MS_Cat_Fan
    10:17 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

They low down. They dirty. They some snitches. Go Cats.

28. BLUE
    10:17 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Blue is not just a color it’s a lifestyle!

29. Db11
    10:31 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

LETS DO IT

30. Transy Clay
    10:34 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Matt, Transy rises to 18th in the D3 poll.

31. RicksAuntWithGoodEyes
    10:46 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

21- Good point. Darius would be the only one who may care, but Maysville is pretty north. All I’m saying is it’s hard to expect a group of kids that come from all around this nation to care as much about this UT rivalry as much as the fans. It’s just not gonna happen. Like I said, I live in this state, have been a UK fan my entire life and couldn’t care less that it’s UT were playing tonight. Florida, Alabama, Miss St and Vandy might feel a little different, but those are NCAA tourney teams possibly. We could be playing Ole Miss, Georgia, Auburn or LSU again tonight for all I care. I just wanna keep winning. That’s the one thing that I think may drive this team each and every game from here on out. Going undefeated in the SEC. They got people everywhere saying they can’t. Lets prove em wrong boys!

32. warrior
    10:48 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

I hate Tennessee with every fiber of my body.

33. ThankfulCat
    10:54 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

HOO HOO

Wisconsin 57
    HOO HOO 50

50 points?

50?

Seriously?

We would score 50 in 1 half on Wisconsin

Devan Downey Syndrome in full effect at HOO HOO LAND

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. BAD BAD BADGERS
    11:08 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Look everyone, it’s a Hoo Hoo Hoosier sighting! Thought the troll would be gone once the mighty Badgers of Wisconsin stole his candy striped knickers the other night.

35. GapToothDanny
    11:14 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

I think the point of Corey’s post is this: if we bring the noise tonight then the team will respond in kind! Make the rafters rattle! Like the HOO HOO tormentors are saying, if the lowly Hoosiers can be lifted up by the (awesome) reaction of their fans, just imagine the effect BBN can have at Rupp.
    This is gonna be great!
    GTD

36. Hoosier Wildcat
    11:51 am January 31, 2012 Permalink

Cats by 20 tonight, Tenn put up a good fight in the first game. They won’t at Rupp.

P.S. #5 Hoo Hoo is obviously just trying to get attention. That’s one of the most ignorant and incorrect statements I’ve ever read.

37. The Broom
    1:23 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

I hate to point it out, because God knows I would love a sweep more than anyone, but this game wouldn’t complete a sweep across the board against Tennessee. UK Hoops have to play at UT in a few weeks. We’d need the win tonight and a win there to complete total embarassment of the Vols.

38. ZombieLibrarian
    1:58 pm January 31, 2012 Permalink

Good post, minus the “Knight’s Tale” reference. That would have been good as well, except for the fact that I’m not a 13 year old girl.