Very Cool Rex Chapman Video

Very rarely does a YouTube video mesmerize me, but this one did. This profile of Rex Chapman and Apollo High School in 1985-1986 is awesome, in large part because we get to see the difference in how this sport was covered 25 years ago. Rex also showcases some of his amazing high school talent and we get to see the worst pair of glasses to ever be worn at a high school announcement. It is a much watch video, especially for those who love the history of UK basketball.

Article written by Matt Jones

33 Comments for Very Cool Rex Chapman Video

1. i cane't right either
    2:53 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

We need a top 10 “much watch UK BBall videos” KSR style – keep it up, go caits!

2. Carl
    2:56 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Rex was a beast. If Sutton had treated him better instead of throwing him under the bus when we lost I think he would have stayed another year.
    GO CATS !

3. J.T.
    2:56 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Those glasses…are…epic! Lol!! They look like my moms glasses, circa 1982.

4. #Rise
    2:57 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I remember my pops telling me about how crazy the Owensboro Sportscenter would get when the 85-86 Apollo and Owensboro teams would play.

5. CatsFanInKnoxville
    2:58 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Awesome!

6. Wildcat4life
    3:00 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

You forgot to talk about the great soundtrack. Great video

7. SteveM
    3:00 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Thank god Rex didn’t go to Louisville which he almost did

8. William J. Le Petomane
    3:00 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

As someone who played high school ball in the state during this period I have to say it was a special time. Not only did you have Rex but a lot of other great talent…..Houston, Farmer, Feldhaus, Pelphrey, Felton Spencer, Reggie Hanson, Frank Persley, Scott Draud to name a few.

9. CatFanInClearwater
    3:04 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I remember watching Rex torch UL in Freedom Hall back in 1986. Fun game to watch!

10. lexiladyrr
    3:08 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Great find. On that Dionne Warwick flow…

11. Roofus Howls
    3:09 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

IIRC, Rex was dinged up against LSU his sophomore season. Combine that with the looming probation and it made every bit of sense in the world for him to “declare hardship” (as they had to do back then) and leave early.

12. CatFanInClearwater
    3:12 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

11..I always felt the probation thing weighed heavily on Rex, but pressure from the university discouraging his interracial dating also influenced his decision to leave early for the NBA draft.

13. James K
    3:20 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Yer welcome, Matthew.

Just kidding, I don’t care.

14. Oboro born
    3:25 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Fond memories of that horrible scoreboard in the Sportscenter, looked like they robbed a Christmas tree for some of the lights. Rex was truly king in that era, still my favorite player to this day (his Twitter account is a good follow also).

15. ole #33
    3:27 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I rank higher than Rex on the all time JV scoring list at AHS. Still waiting on my video…Always an Eagle Family!

16. BretMichaels
    3:33 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

As great as Rex was, he and Apollo couldn’t even get out of the city that year. Owensboro High School had the overall better talent and it showed when OHS knocked Alpo out of the district.

17. David Elswick
    3:35 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Takes me back! I was a Jr. in high school in 85-86. I remember when Rex signed, it was huge. Seems like yesterday.

18. J A Brooks
    3:38 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

That was awful

19. UKBlue1!
    3:42 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

King Rex. Two things stick out, Champman from I65 swish! I never saw a player in the State leap like Rex.

20. John Wall
    3:43 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Insert Nerlens in there and you would really see some highlights….

21. Duuuuuude
    3:49 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Yeaaaa….Rex could jump out of the gym! How fun to watch! Would be fun to see a Rex Chapman High School mix tape using music kids use today!

22. Mark
    4:04 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Jumpinest white boy I’ve ever seen!!!

23. Owensboro78
    4:08 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I grew up in Owensboro and was about 8 years old when Rex and Apollo would play Owensboro. Those matuchups with OHS were epic. A lot of talent on both teams. Still a lot of talent in this area. Still say Rex is the best to ever come out of the state of KY!

24. BradWestKY
    4:10 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I was at the Apollo – Henry Clay game as a 10 year old… Big UK weekend for my family to travel up from Princeton, Ky. Went to the football game on Saturday & if I remember correctly the basketball game was on Sunday afternoon. Something I will never forget. That’s why I try to make memories like that now with my kids!

25. Jeremy
    4:11 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Feel like Iam watching Teen Wolf!

26. EagleturnedCat
    4:27 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Proud alumni from Apollo and even prouder alum from UK. Rex’s KY Mr. basketball pic still hang over the doors to the Eagle’s Nest. I remember older teachers in high school talking about what it was like when he was there. While at UK a professor of mine said that he played against Chapman in High School and before the games when shaking hands Rex told him that he was going to dunk all over him that night. He said he did just that. It is amazing to be hear stories like this. It is too bad that I didn’t get to see my Eagles win in Rupp in 06, it was lucky that he came to UK for people to enjoy instead of UL or even Western where most of Owensboro goes. O well, DC Panthers,OHS Devils, and OC Aces suck. Always an Eagle Family, and Go CATS!!!

27. tomcat2912
    4:37 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I was there when Rex announced that he was going to UK. Well actually we couldn’t find the right ballroom and was almost there when we heard this loud roar,and out comes a couple fans from UL who were pissed so we knew he picked UK.GBB

28. DT in DC
    4:52 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Makes me want to dig out my “I heart Rex” shirt! I was and will always be a Daviess County Panther, but I always loved me some Rex!

29. DublDownDrew
    4:55 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Got to see Rex and Apollo play at Bullitt East his Senior year on the “Rex Across Kentucky” tour and it was incredible to see in person as he was a man playing among boys. Good times.

30. Chicago Chris
    5:06 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

As is my way, does anyone know if the other Apollo players had college careers?

31. DT in DC
    5:26 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Greg Baughn played at Kentucky Wesleyn College under Rex’s dad, Wayne. If I remember correctly, they won a D2 National Championship while he was there.

32. Zman
    8:47 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I was a freshman at UK and was at the game during Rex’s senior year when they played Sean Sutton at Memorial (I think they showed some of it in the clip). Rex was the man! One of my all time favorites at UK.

I even created my first (and only sign) and took it his first home game at Rupp. It said ‘Welcome to Rexington! The era of Chapman starts tonight!!! Courier-journel started their piece about the game the next day mentioning my sign….yeah, chessy now, but it was fun back then.

33. Billy boy
    12:32 am October 10, 2012 Permalink

Thanks Matt for posting this. Boy does this take u down memory lane. Rex is one of my favorite CATS of all-time. Would’nt it be something to have another one come out of Ky in Cals offense like this?