Vaught thinks Dykes fits Kentucky Football

When not editing the weekly issues of “Vaught’s Vixens”, Larry Vaught takes time to assess the Kentucky Football coaching situation. He recently wrote an in-depth article characterizing why LA Tech’s head coach Sonny Dykes would be a great fit as the next coach at Kentucky. I encourage you to give the entire article a read, but here are the main points from Vaught concerning Dykes:

He knows Kentucky football. He was a graduate assistant at UK under Hal Mumme in 1997 when the Cats beat Alabama and came back in 1999 to coach receivers and special teams. The Cats beat No. 20 Arkansas and went to the Music City Bowl. He coached James Whalen, Quentin McCord, Derek Smith and Brad Pyatt, all future NFL signees.

He has recruiting ties to Texas. He grew up in Texas and his father, Spike Dykes, was the head coach at Texas Tech. In 2000, Dykes joined from UK assistant coach Mike Leach’s staff at Texas Tech. He coached wide receivers for five years and then was promoted to offensive coordinator. In Dykes’ second season as co-offensive coordinator, Texas Tech ranked third in passing with 370 passing yards per game and sixth in total offense averaging nearly 450 total yards per game. That season Dykes directed an offense that scored 32 points per game, and two receivers ranked top three in the nation in receptions per game and a third receiver ranked in the top 20.

– He’s relatively young at age 43. He can relate to players and that also means he has a burning desire to win and continue to see his coaching career escalate. Every move he’s made – he went from Texas Tech to Arizona as offensive coordinator and then to Louisiana Tech as head coach in 2010 – has been an upward move and he’s continued to have more success at each stop.

– He does value defense. This year his defense is not that good, but it has been decimated by injuries to players he expected to have starting. Last year his team led the conference in defense. And his father valued defense at Texas Tech. Dykes loves a productive, entertaining offense, but he wants a defense that can get off the field, too.

You want him, BBN?

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

107 Comments for Vaught thinks Dykes fits Kentucky Football

1. ap3
    4:02 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. TampaCat
    4:06 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Let’s get us a BearCats Coach if we can!

3. Jarred
    4:08 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

KLIFF KINGSBURY!!!
    BRING THE FAUXHAWK TO LEXINGTON !!!

4. tdogg40330
    4:09 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

I’ll support him if he gets hired, but I’d rather have Petrino.

5. Catfan24
    4:10 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

To be honest. I would take him. Can we get him?

6. Funky Monkey
    4:12 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

He sounds pretty good to me too,…

7. Mike
    4:12 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

I say let’s take a shot at him…I like his offensive stats.

8. Blue Jesus
    4:13 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Dykes, Butch, Kingsbury, I’d be fine with them all, but preferably I’d like Smart or Petrino.

9. CatFan26
    4:18 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

First choice is Smart. Second choice would be Dykes followed by Butch. I think Kingsbury would rather stay in the pros than drop down to college. To be honest ill support whoever is hired, I just hope he can bring some excitement back.

10. UK2001
    4:19 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

It’s Tony Franklin that makes that team click. But if dykes is hired, I’ll support him. DREAM coach is Chris Peterson. Even over Perino. But that it’s wishful thinking.

11. coochie coo
    4:20 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

His dad’s name was ‘Spike Dykes?’ That’s rich.

12. James B
    4:21 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

come on down…

13. Ukfan
    4:22 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Well since Kirby smart does not want the job, I would take dykes over the cincy coach. My main choice would be Rex Ryan or that alanta falcans offensive coach.

14. Trifecta200
    4:23 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

@CatFan26 “Kingsbury would rather stay in the pros than drop down to college”??? He’s the offensive coordinator for Texas A&M right now!

15. East Kentucky Infidel
    4:25 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Fulmer it is, if we’re lucky. Y’all are dreaming,
    Barney is whiffing right and left.

16. mark
    4:29 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

What about Koetter??

17. ChiddarCheddar
    4:32 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Surprised Vaught wrote this. It has ‘seemed’ that Larry was pandering to the Petrino or bust guys for hits. My apologies for thingking that Mr. Vaught.

I’d love to have Dykes. Ya know, there’s not much you can say along these lines that doesn’t sound kinda wrong.

18. aka kywildcat
    4:32 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Dooley part 2 incoming

19. UKBlue
    4:33 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

He has better recruiting ties than Butch Jones & he knows what he is getting himself into at UK.

20. jryan
    4:33 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

can we just fire mitch and dewayne peevy make the hire? i seriously don’t think mitch has a clue what he’s doing when it comes to hiring coaches (cal was not his hire btw)

21. ChiddarCheddar
    4:34 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

15) While the though of Fulmer almost makes me vomit, I’ve been thinking that he might be a decent choice ONLY because he could probably put together a great staff. That’s what would scare me about Kingsbury or Keotter.

22. Floyd
    4:34 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

He knows…He knows… He knows not to come here.

23. Ukalum
    4:34 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

I would rather get Gary Anderson from utah state. But since California fired their coach, they will probly hire Anderson. It’s to bad he can really coach. He had three players drafted in the 2012 draft, one in the second round. UK could really use a guy that can train guys for the league.

24. RICK
    4:35 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Hell no, he has lots of players hurt this year, sound like the same old bull we hear every year. No thanks.

25. logicsays
    4:36 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Dykes is my first choice

26. Ukalum
    4:37 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

We don’t need a guy that know ky. We need a guy that knows football, like Gary Anderson.

27. ukaltheway
    4:39 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

28. Hangin#9
    4:40 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

I believe Dykes is a better hire than Butch Jones, I’m not impressed with a 7-3 record playing in a weak conference. The only ranked teams that Cinci has played was Lil brother and Rutgers both losses. Nor does Jones have a solid resume other than he was the WR coach at West Virginia. A. Jones B.Dykes, I pick B on this one.

29. putinrichie
    4:41 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

15 – Mitch might not have many friends in BBN and most don’t trust him to hire a coach, but I do think he understands the significance of this hire. He knows what the fans think of him right now. I also think thats part of the reason we don’t have a coach yet. Mitch wants to prove his doubters wrong and I really think he is going after big names that are very different than the names in circulation on message boards right now. It may end up being that he can’t make the impact hire that he wants and settles for someone much lower on his list, but in general I think he is taking his time to try and get a bigger name.

I think most fans will say than why doesn’t he just talk to Petrino. I don’t think he’s officially ruled that out yet, but I think what is clear is that Petrino is not one of his top choices. I think he would like to hire someone that would make all of the Petrino talk go away. He knows that won’t happen with a Dykes, Jones, Koetter, etc…..thats why he is desparately trying to find a BIG NAME,,,,,just don’t know if he has the ability to do it.

30. Ukalum
    4:41 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

It’s to bad we won’t be able to out bid California university for Gary Anderson. He turned a dead utah state program into winner. He will win a lot of games where ever he lands.

31. Yo' Daddy
    4:42 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

We need defense, true, we need offense. So, maybe a possibility, wouldn’t make him the first option, not even first tier. We need somebody with the qualifications, but with something a little extra. Something the boosters/alumni, board of trustees will back as soon as he walks into a room. That I only see in Smart, Koetter, Kingsbury. We get the coach, the rest will fall into place. I mean c’mon, it’s Kentucky … “nowhere to go but up”. Do some good in 2 or 3, you’ll have streets named after you,longer …. a stadium with your name on it.

32. Jim
    4:45 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Hell no , if we can’t get Petrino then just shut the thing down. I’m tired of being the laughing stock of the whole Country! ………

33. Punter U
    4:46 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

No, no, and no.

Hire Koetter, if he absolutely says no, hire Kingsbury. Say no to the dyke!

34. putinrichie
    4:47 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

26 – Gary Anderson doesn’t know how to recruit, doesn’t know how to deal with the media, doesn’t understand how to deal with a passionate fanbase, doesn’t understand anything about the SEC, doesn’t understand the East Coast as he’s been in Utah most of his life, and doesn’t know much about offense.

Since he’s never coached at a big school or made many contacts on the recruiting trail, he would probably struggle to hire assistant coaches. He would absolutely 100% FAIL MISERABLY. Anderson is by far the weakest candidate that has been brought up in connection with the UK Job.

35. ukfan101
    4:48 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

John Grudden!!!!!!

36. Myron Thompson
    4:48 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Hell no!

37. putinrichie
    4:49 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

32 – Good one. Petrino would be a good hire, but he is not the Mosiah of UK Football.

38. Ukalum
    4:49 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Mitch isn’t going to hire kingsbury he is to young and to inexperienced. He will fail just like joker. Dykes is Derek Dooley 2.0. We will look like this years tennessee team, great offense and no defense. Gary Anderson will be hired by California university and probly lead them to a BCS bowl. That leaves uk with no decent hire and a soon to be unemployed athletic director.

39. Mmpii
    4:50 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Hell no we don’t want him! We need a name here that will get people back in the seats! We don’t have to win championships in the next 3 years we just got to get back on the charts! Go big or drop football!!!

40. Yathink
    4:50 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Vaught also fought for Mumme. LOL Dykes has he WORST defense in college ball, #120. Instant failure in the SEC.

41. Blue ballerina
    4:50 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

He also likes the idea of Bobby Petrino but you guys are Bobby Knighting any BP stories so we can’t read about him on KSR. I like Sonny Dykes but I think he gets better offers than UK. I will be happy with whoever is on the sidelines as long as we win. I also think the best option to winning is BP but will be happy if we just win. 50 years with the exception of about 7 years we have sucked. Isn’t that enough suffering?

42. Al
    4:50 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Hmmm let’s see on this coach nooooooo!!!!!
    The reason is where did dereck Dooley come from?
    La tech!!! The coach just got fired at tennesse!!! And dykes
    Replaced Dooley at la tech!!!!! So how is that working
    Out for vol nation not good!!! So there u go!!!
    So in three years we might be doing this again, yes I don’t
    Know if he will work good here or not, but Dooley had great teams at
    La tech, and look what happend at Tennessee !!
    So I’m not on this hire not a big name, I like Rex Ryan, rob Ryan, thoes
    Type names I like to be here!!! The other names like butch, and others little names
    It works in there little conferences not in the SEC!!!

43. putinrichie
    4:51 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

38 – Earth to Gary Anderson —– quit trying to sell yourself to Mitch on a UK message board. You are NOT that great of a coach.

44. Ukalum
    4:52 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

34) Anderson coached at Utah which has won two BCS bowls compared to UKs zero. He has put four players in the nfl draft in the last two years. He has his utah state team ranked 40th or better in almost all offensive and defensive stats. He runs the spread offense and his players love him. Wake up we are uk football Anderson is the best we can do.

45. Yo' Momma
    4:54 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Fans want someone to bring some energy & excitement, someone who they can rally behind just on personality, & character. Got to be someone fairly young & committed, 5,6 yrs., we gotta make this program attractive to any up & comer, but it starts with the new hire.

46. Ukalum
    4:55 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

43) what is your hire? We aren’t getting kirby smart, or koetter and dykes is a worse hire than joker

47. putinrichie
    4:56 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

40 – I tend to agree and this is part of the reason I don’t want Dykes. That said, the OC and DC hires are probably just as important as the Head Coach depending on who is hired. If we get a head coach like Dykes, Petrino, Koetter, Kingsbury, etc…..they HAVE to be able to hire a solid DC. This is why Gary Anderson would be a huge fail. He is a defensive guy, but he has virtually no contacts. My guess is that half of his staff at Utah State that put together some of the worst recruiting classes in the country would come with him and that has failure written all over it.

48. Ukalum
    4:56 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

43) why don’t you read some article and do some research before you start talking out your @$$

49. Electric Boogaloo
    4:58 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

#35. ukfan101, Gruden will consider his alma mater before us, in fact Tenn., almost willing to hand him a blank check. No chance!

50. Ukalum
    4:59 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

47) hey smart guy utah state brought in the 77th best class in the country in 2010 and uk had the 62nd that same year. The fact is utah state wins without the best players not to mention the program was dead before Anderson got there. UK will Never get 5 star guys period.

51. Ukalum
    5:01 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

By the way Anderson was on urban Meyers utah staff but he has never made connections

52. Man Witjahanbone
    5:02 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Hires Dykes, should of just kept Joker. It’s a lateral move anyway. F__K Petrino, hell you want slow and staedy, go with Tressel.

53. klassact49
    5:05 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

If I hear Petrino one more time I am going to scream. Why in the world some BBN would want that rat bag piece of crap as a coach is beyond me. Your telling me that is as big a name as you can come up with, jeesh.

54. Ukalum
    5:05 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Talking about Anderson is a mute point Cal will hire him and got to the rose bowl and we will get the scraps of the SEC and go to the liberty bowl when we don’t have losing seasons

55. bobbypetrinofan
    5:05 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Boo.

56. Shoulda Putdadirtonit
    5:07 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Rich Rodriguez! Him or Tressel.

57. Ken in Middletown
    5:08 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Dykes would be OK with me, but if we really want some excitement around here & Barnhart really wants to win the fanbase back & put butts in the seats – Hire Kingsbury from Texas A&M. Come to think of it though, the last time he hired a coach from A&M it didn’t work out so well.

58. tdogg40330
    5:08 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

53) PETRINO !!!!!!

59. Ukalum
    5:08 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

And how do you know gary Anderson doesn’t have contacts. He could have more contacts than kingsbury or dykes or koetter. Your just making assumptions because his name isn’t bill cowher. Be realistic.

60. SeoulCat
    5:08 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Koetter and Jones are not good choices. Both have head coaching records that put them around .500 over their careers in weak conferences. Dykes, at least, has shown that he can win and put up points. Get him a solid defensive coordinator and things may click in Lexington. For the people who are railing on Fulmer, remember that the man has been to bowl games in almost every season he was at UT, has a national title under his belt, and has a career winning % in the SEC around .750.

Think about that for a second.

The guy has won 3/4 of his SEC games over a career that has spanned seventeen seasons. I don’t want Fat Phil, because I think we can do better. But I will take him any day of the week and twice on Sundays over Koetter and Jones.

The coaching priority list should read something like:

Top to bottom:
    1. Petrino or any big name former NFL coach
    2. Mark Helfrich
    3. Sonny Dykes
    4. Kliff Kingsbury

61. putinrichie
    5:09 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

44 – The spread would NOT work well in the SEC, especially at a school like UK. UK’s most successful teams of the last 20 years were with Tim Couch and Andre Woodson at QB. I’m not saying that Max Smith or Patrick Towles are either one of those guys, but they will each have 3 years of eligibility and are much better suited for a pro-style offense.

46 – I haven’t been that happy with any of the candidates whose names are out there right now. I personally think that the coaching lists that are being made do not represent Mitch’s list. I think most of the lists are purely hypothetical based on what UK fans think they could get.

62. Ukalum
    5:10 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Kingsbury will crash and burn if his first HC job is at a BCS school especially in the SEC

63. Ukalum
    5:13 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

61) what are you talking about Meyer ran the spread at Florida, Texas a&m runs the spread, miss state and bobby petrino run a type of spread offense.

64. putinrichie
    5:13 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

51 – and guess what Urban Meyer did when he went to Florida….he left Anderson in Utah. Anderson is small time….the SEC is big boy football and Urban knew that when he took the UF job.

59 – I’m saying he doesn’t have contacts because he’s only played for and coached at mid-majors. I’m saying that because he has coached his entire career in a very small geographic area. If he has been the LB coach at even a school like NC State for a few years than you could at least argue that he understands bigger programs, conferences, recruiting, etc. I don’t want a HC that has never been associated with a Top 50 recruiting class EVER.

65. putinrichie
    5:15 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

63 – again…..we are UK. To run an effective spread, you MUST have a good O-Line which we NEVER have. UK’s best chance of having a great offense in the SEC is not in a spread offense.

66. Ukalum
    5:16 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

64) why don’t you do research. Anderson was the defensive coordinator for utah. A team that has had better recruiting classes than UK could get. Do you just talk or actually look up info?

67. Ukalum
    5:17 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

65) by the way utah is a BCS school now

68. Cats Fan
    5:18 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Guys, we need to be realistic here. UK is known is a coaching graveyard for a reason (now you can add Joker to the list). I think we’d be lucky to get Dykes, and I’d be a little surprised if he would even come here. I don’t think its as easy as some of you think to get a good coach here, unless you want freaking Petrino and I know some of you retards do.

69. putinrichie
    5:18 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

59 – UK doesn’t have time for a coach to learn on the job. They need a coach who has established connections they can utilize from Day One. I don’t want a coach who needs to learn the geography of the Southeast. I don’t want a coach where UK is the biggest place they have ever coached at.

70. Bob
    5:19 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

I grew up in Lex. have been in LA. for 20 years now. Sonny Dykes is a great coach with a great future in a major conference. If UK can actually get him, which I’m not convinced of quite yet, they should! He runs a great program and is not stuck on one type of anything, offensively or defensively. The BBN needs to wake-up and realize where it is in the pecking order as far as hiring a new football coach!!!

71. Ukalum
    5:20 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

65) but like I said he will go to CAL, with better facilities and access to talent and will likely go to the rose bowl. While uk sits in the basement of the SEC for another 4 decades

72. Ukalum
    5:22 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

69) Putinrichie wake up we aren’t getting a higher profile coach than dykes or Anderson. But Anderson would be the better coach.

73. putinrichie
    5:23 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

66 – I look up plenty of stats. Utah State was 117 of 122 D-1 programs in recruiting rankings last year and they aren’t doing much better this year. By the way, UK wasn’t pumping out Top 50 classes when Anderson was at Uta, so being better than us is not that special. Even if I stand corrected and a couple of the classes were Top 50 at Utah, that still doesn’t make Anderson a good recruiter. His track record at Utah State speaks for itself. He has had 2 losing records in four seasons and the recuriting has been atrocious.

67 – Not when Anderson was there….I wouldn’t say someone who coached at UL when they were in the Metro Conference or C-USA has BCS experience just because they are in the Big East now.

74. putinrichie
    5:25 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

72 – I wouldn’t rule out Mitch yet….he knows his back is against the wall and that UK fans won’t be happy with a coach like Dykes or Anderson. He might swing and miss but I bet he’s swinging for the fences right now.

75. Ukalum
    5:27 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

73) utah state has 11 consecutive losing seasons before Anderson his class in 2010 was 77th which is GREAT FOR utah freaking state. The fact they will get 10 wins this year is freaking amazing. By the way utah went undefeated with a sugar bowl victory over Alabama while Anderson was defensive coordinator

76. Ukalum
    5:28 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

73) And if Anderson was getting top 50 recruiting classes at utah state, why would he come to uk

77. Bobby Knight
    5:31 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

I like how you refuse to talk about a certain. Who cares if he would be great here. Keep up the good stories and remember if you don’t mention him he isn’t real.

78. Ukalum
    5:33 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

74) exactly I would love a home run hire at uk, but it ain’t happening not with 4 openings in the SEC alone. Be realistic. We get the choice of dykes, Anderson or McIntyre for San Jose state. And Anderson is the better coach to coach up talent. Dukes inherited a good team from Dooley.

79. fur eel
    5:37 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

There are some real dipspits on this board. “We shouldn’t try to get him, because he wouldn’t want to come.” Just shut the hell up. Bunch of defeatist crybabies………

80. Ukhoophysteria
    5:37 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Folks the Harrow situation isn’t good from all indications. Not only is he back home now this is also a reoccurring problem it seems. If you read past news archives he was diagnosed with flu like symptoms in high school following a game where he supposedly collapsed. I wish him a speedy recovery but it looks like he’ll be out 4-5 more games and possibly the season. Based on what the twitter world has conveyed.

81. Blue Poop
    5:38 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

What is the remedial chances on Henry Winkler? Did he not lead the Mud-dogs to a bowl game?

82. Blue Poop
    5:39 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

…………. man this [email protected]#$ hurts!

83. Big Whoop
    5:42 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Bill Curry is available since he’s retiring from Jawja State.

84. Defcord
    5:43 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Harrow fighting depression, been going on for years. They didn’t make UK aware of it. It’s a problem!

85. [email protected]
    5:44 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

The fact that we have had silence on the search for weeks tells me that Barnhardt has been turned down by all his top choices. He is now moved into the middle tier candiadtes and they be waiting for the UT, Auburn & Arkansas jobs to play out. If the middle tier candidates go elsewhere or decide to pass, Barnhardt might have to call some of you Monday Morning QBs that are out of work and desperate for any job.

86. DUFUSS
    5:46 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

DUFUSS SAYS: Dykes to fill all the holes!!!

87. Ukalum
    5:49 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Dykes is a slightly better version of Dooley and mumme. He will fail after 4 years and then we have to find a AD and a HC

88. Gil Harris
    5:57 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Let It Whip!!!!!

89. Dr PinDyke
    6:04 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

#87) Well Said! Dykes got his a$$ handed to him by Utah St, all we have to look to the South of us and that is what we will have

90. ChiddarCheddar
    6:16 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

85 really??? The silence is because Mitch gave us what we wanted, which was Joker to be released immediately…during the season. And your post is exactly why he shouldn’t have. Goodness folks, the season is still ongoing. He can’t hire anyone yet.

91. Shawncat
    6:17 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Hell No!!!!! No Dykes!!!!!!!!!!

92. ChiddarCheddar
    6:18 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

89) yep and remember that one time when Joker beat Spurrier? Boy, he should’ve been given an extension!!

93. g-unit
    6:21 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

84- how do you know this?

94. Old man
    6:25 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Heck just bring Joker back if we aren’t going to be serious about finding a coach. Lets focus instead on a new AD and let him get us a real coach.

95. Wildcatsteeler
    6:30 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

You clowns may as well give up on the Petrino nonsense. It ain’t gonna happen, pure and simple. Given all the schools now looking for coaches I’d be thrilled with Dykes. Whoever takes over actually has a fairly good team to work with next season. If we can manage to stay healthy. If Joker doesn’t lose to WKU and get shutout by Vandy at home he’s prolly still our coach.

96. Yep
    6:38 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Kliff Kingsbury is my choice, the guy knows offense and is in the SEC now, so he has had a year to see how SEC teams run things, I really believe this kid knows what he is doing.

97. Catlogic15
    7:07 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

“He won the Music City Bowl”. That’s all Mitch needs.

98. Cannon
    8:10 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

I don’t understand why people are becoming complacent with this search and now saying dykes would be a great hire.. A proven coach is an absolute must for us at UK because we don’t have time to waist. I know this isn’t the best job out there by any means, but we can still attract some damn good coaches out there. Hell give me Fulmer over Dykes, his record speaks for itself! Still shoot for Petrino though no matter what you do.. I’m ready to win NOW!

99. The clown
    9:13 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Petrino!

100. Bulldawg
    9:47 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

how long after UK’s next coach fails will ksr start referring Petrino as “he who must not be named?” PETRINO!!!!!!!!!!!

101. BBB
    10:31 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

Charlie Strong to Tennessee– Petrino back to U of L. Jurich is no fool. Mitch is screwing this up in an unparalelled fashion. Thanks Mitch. Petrino is the absolute best coach out there we can get and he offered to sign a contract with UK that says if he leaves before the end of the contract he would pay back ALL the money UK has paid him. Thats a fact. Mitch and KSR are holding out on us.

102. Chris
    10:46 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

whoever finally gets this job, how many from the staff stay ? Obivously Sanders is gone along with Minter, but maybe they will keep Woodson as QB Coach in waiting and possible asst O.C. Dykes is a tie to the Mumme staff and I thought we rid ourself of anyone associated with that staff. I think Butch J is probably the best hire if he will come.

Dont see our integrity for fullfilled expectations

103. Fecesforbrains
    11:38 pm November 21, 2012 Permalink

What’s wrong with entertaining a frustrated aggravated disgusted jimbo fisher and he will bring mark stoops with him… Certainly have nice recruiting ties… If money is no object …. Build a bin fire sized pile of it and they will come….

And I tire so easily listening to you folks whine about they will leave coaches are a very self confident accept a challenge group … Quit selling yourself and this program short the people of this state are starving to have a football program … It’s either US or Louisville … So lets be proud and know with the nature of coaches and a rabid fan base quit shooting for average stack up the millions and see what it gets us!!!

104. BlueTexan
    12:57 am November 22, 2012 Permalink

#101- Strong to AR and Jurich isn’t a fool (like we have as AD)…the Mitch apologists will not agree…but, he’s a proven commodity as a poor judge of talent. DITCH MITCH!

105. Harrison county
    7:52 am November 22, 2012 Permalink

Kerry Coombs, former UC coach, now with The Ohio State, will be in Lexington Sunday.

106. SevenT
    9:28 am November 22, 2012 Permalink

This Dykes fellow has ties to Hal Mumme. ANYONE with ties to a useless jerkoff idiot like Mumme should be disqualified from consideration.

Just Saying

107. MEs
    10:37 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

Mark Helfrich for Kentucky. OC from Oregon. No better choice. He would create an exciting type of football.