Vargas: Ready to Pull a Jorts?

eloy-centaur

In today’s Courier-Journal basketball notebook, Eloy Vargas says he is ready for a bigger role next season. Bolstered by confidence from good play in China, where he averaged 10.6 points, 9.4 rebounds and 1.9 blocks in nine exhibition games, Eloy is ready to contribute:

“I had more confidence at the end of the season. I’m kind of used to it now. Over there I did pretty good. … I’m trying to be like that, but Josh is a different guy than me. I’m going to be myself. I want to show energy, rebounding and blocking shots.”

“We expect a lot from him,” teammate Darius Miller said. “He’s been working really hard. He’s definitely improved. He’s playing more aggressive and tougher.”

If you remember, Josh Harrellson also went to China last summer and look how that worked out. Now, we just need to figure out what size jorts centaurs wear.

12 Comments for Vargas: Ready to Pull a Jorts?

1. KSR Spy
    2:39 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

This picture needs armor and lasers coming out of his eyes. Make it happen KSR.

2. JMFATZ47
    2:45 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Let’s hope by “more confidence towards the end of last year” that he is not referring to the deer in headlights look we witnessed against UCONN in the FF. In this game, you must possess the “it” factor. I questioned that a lot with him last year. Prove me wrong Eloy

3. Jason
    3:06 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Watching the OSU and UNC games in the tourney last year, Vargas absolutely improved his defense. He is, at this point in time, light-years ahead of where Harrelson was at this point last year. Two seasons ago, Harrelson being in the game = an AUTOMATIC run for the other team. I remember when he came in vs UCONN in the Garden and UCONN went on about a quick 6/7-0 run, every single point coming at the expense of Harrelson who couldn’t for the life of him rebound, score, play defense, show foot quickness, or even catch a pass. And that is not an exaggeration. He was awful. If Harrelson can do it, Vargas can. He showed sparks in the tourney last year, from the WVU game till the UCONN game.

4. BlueWhite
    3:23 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Needs 10 lbs of muscle and 20 lbs of fat before the season starts

5. Garfield
    3:51 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

3. Is that you, Uncle Rico? Do you not have better things to do than watch 4 month old basketball games?

6. Czar of Daycares
    4:10 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

That is one of the most amazing photos I have ever seen. Better than KyCatsPaws’ ridiculous photoshops on Cats Illustrated (check his fanpage).

7. Attending?
    4:14 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

I got slaughtered for suggesting that V could contribute minutes off the bench next (this) year …last year … Rebounding and D are all we need … You can do it Eloy!!!!

8. Anony.
    4:26 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

Jorts showed signs under Gillispie that he could score and was a better than average ballplayer. Because he was behind such studs like Patterson, Cousins and Orton, people think he just couldn’t play, and that wasn’t true. Josh put in the effort to be good.

Eloy.. he just doesn’t look like he knows what to do.

9. lribookend
    4:39 pm June 19, 2011 Permalink

I think Vargas will be a contributor next year…not so much scoring, but rebounding and blocking shots. We will need him to play 8-10 minutes per game if we are going to be successful. I love the negative nellies, they criticize the one and dones, and criticize anyone who stays more than a one year. Make up your frigging mind.

10. TreyDay
    9:34 am June 20, 2011 Permalink

#9 If Vargas is going to give us 8-10 minutes a game, then I hope he is a completely different player come November. He was a train wreck in his first year, but I’ll remain optimistic for the team’s sake.

11. SoCalCat
    11:15 am June 20, 2011 Permalink

Don’t blind squirrels find nuts? May be a better picture? 🙂

12. Jeremy
    12:01 pm June 20, 2011 Permalink

No, Jorts was awful. Terrible even. Sure, he showed some flashes sometimes, but he was so bad. Barely an average player. People knew that he couldn’t play, don’t say we didn’t. We’re Kentucky fans. We know the sport. But Jorts really looked like he couldn’t play with the big boys, even at the beginning of this season. I thought with Harrellson and Vargas, our season was lost. We all thought he was a liability. Then he tweeted and the rest is history. He is a Wildcat hero now and I love him and he will be remembered until the end of time, but before that tweet, he barely deserved his seat on the bench. Maybe on some other bench, but at Kentucky’s? Come on. Then he took us to the Final Four haha so all is forgiven.