Vanessa Carlton’s Thursday News and Views

Yes, we’re getting a little bit of a late start here.  That’s what happens when you get hit with a hurricane of TV excellence.  I promise we’ll make quick work of this.  But before we do, let’s stop and give a salute to piano-playing siren Vanessa Carlton.  Yes, Vanessa Carlton.  When I was in Gainesville this weekend, I had a chance to hang out with some of my college buddies and a number of good solid Cats fans.  I also had the chance to meet a guy who wanted to show me about 50 pictures on his cell phone – none of them particularly interesting and most of them fairly embarrassing.  Throughout his digital slideshow of irrelevance, this young gentleman requested several times that I “finally” (as if people have been waiting for it) dedicate the News and Views to Vanessa Carlton.  So, for that guy, there is this.  He strikes me as the kind of kid who often wakes up after a night of drinking and recounts a handful of things he would rather forget.  Hopefully, he can have one of those moments this morning too.

Now onto a few UK notes…

– Besides soaking in the sweet scent of victory, Wednesday also brought us a new contract for Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart.  The new deal gives adds three years to Barnhart’s existing agreement and increases his salary by about 26%.  Not a bad deal.  Outgoing UK president Lee Todd acknowledged the odd timing by saying it was something that he’s been meaning to get around to and said that it was deserved due to Barnhart’s “exemplary performance”. There’s no question that the program as a whole has improved during his tenure and he did pretty well in making up for the Gillispie blunder in hiring John Calipari.  But, his legacy (and maybe even Todd’s) will now likely be tied to the improvements of the basketball and football facilities.  In his press conference, he talked a bit about making some improvements to Commonwealth Stadium.  The Rupp Arena battle will soon follow.  Lee Todd put his faith in him and his sweater vests Wednesday.  Don’t screw it up, Mitch.  (If you’re reading this, I kid because I love.)

– One night after John Wall’s appearance at Rupp left his Twitter account impressed (we won’t talk about his pro-Duke and UNC Tweet Wednesday), Shabazz Muhammad was apparently visited by Coach Cal Wednesday night.  Muhammad, who was visited by Cal two weeks ago, remains one of the top targets for 2012 and one of the players that the Cats feel like they’re sitting very nicely with.  And that about sums it up.  Pretty interesting, huh?

– The official word will come down Thursday, but it looks as if all four members of UK’s 2011 class will be McDonald’s All-Americans.  As Calipari continues to have enormous success on the recruiting trail, we can often become a little desensitized to some of the historical significance of these moments.  For perspective, the appearance of Davis-Gilchrist-Teague-Wiltjer in the game means that Kentucky will have eight players in the game in Cal’s first three classes (without Wall, Bledsoe or Orton playing in it).  The Cats had six total in the previous ten years.  Incredible.

– In an SEC East race that seems to still be open to just about anyone, the Cats have a conceivable chance of creeping back into a first place tie with Florida, but it will likely all start with Saturday.  If the Cats can go into the odd environment that is Vandy and win and Tennessee can pull of a victory in Gainesville, the schedule will be set up for a battle between the Cats and Gators in Rupp February 26 that would allow UK to climb back to the top.  Those are a lot of ifs, but after Tuesday’s victory over the Vols, it certainly seems possible.  And, yes, it does require for you to pull for Tennessee this weekend.

– If you spent your evening watching Duke and North Carolina, you were treated to a pretty fine college basketball game and a number of crowd shots of a pretty fine mother (is it bad to request more Curry brothers?).  But it also means that you missed Justified and, for that, I cannot forgive you.  What started out as a slow season premiere picked up steam as the creepiest old lady since The Goonies debuted and a certain US Marshal made his presence felt in Harlan.  It was a performance so solid, I thought about waking up my wife and conceiving a child, just so I could name it Raylan.

That’s it for now.  Make sure you stick around throughout the day as we get you all set for Kentucky’s climb back to the top of the SEC East and the start of road redemption in Nashville.  As usual, Matt and Zach will get the fun going on Kentucky Sports Radio at 10am on Talk Radio 1080. Make sure you check it out.  In the meantime, try to figure out why Duke’s Director of Basketball Operations Chris Spatola got so hyped in the closing seconds of the Blue Devils victory (and after the game too).

chris-spatola

See you in a few…

Article written by Thomas Beisner

54 Comments for Vanessa Carlton’s Thursday News and Views

1. BlooBloodCat
    12:10 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Love the Duke BD, aka bench douche, spaz out at the end of the game. great catch boys

2. bleedblue
    12:12 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Never go full retard.

3. J hood
    12:15 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

yea, the non-athletic boys beat the team with 5 mcdonalds all americans didnt they?? hmm, guess a layup still counts the same points as a dunk! if i had went there you all would still be talking about how unathletic i was but i would be starting for a final 4 team while your street ball athletes are fighting for a sec title!

4. bigbill992001
    12:16 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

All 4 of our ’11 recruits McD AA? Sounds like the greatest nite in UK basketball history.

5. bleedblue
    12:18 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

3) Dream on brother.

6. old_school
    12:25 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Can we hang a Red and Yellow McDonald’s Banner from the rafters? I mean the objective at UK is to win the recruiting wars and draft day. What those two events bookend – you know – the actual season and team results – are secondary.

7. Stack
    12:37 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Coach K is the devil and he put some demons in the guy. Can’t you see it showing itself in that captured moment! Pure evil duke is… EVIL!!!

8. iWantToGrowUpAndBeTheDrewFranklin
    12:48 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

That assistant looks like he has touretts..

9. Jon Hadley
    1:13 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

10. andy
    1:37 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

9 I read it and mark emmert is a pos individual.

11. The Rock
    2:25 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

6- McDonald’s banner? Nah, let’s just rename Rupp to the KFC Center and have pictures of fried chicken all over and the students can wear chicken buckets on their heads. And then we can all prematurely ejaculate down our thighs.

12. The Fake Gimel Martinez
    2:25 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Well, that puts “Doing the Carlton” in a whole new light.

13. GoCats2
    2:38 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I know it requires some extra work(I am willing to Help out) but the nightly post needs to have an NBA update with all the Cats now in the Pros. Meeks, Cousins, Wall, and Bledsoe all had outstanding nights tonight.

14. ibleedblue4UK
    3:01 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

10. I hope you realize that is a sportspickle.com article in #9’s post, the site that plays off of sports stories. Great site but nothing on there is real b/c they’re just trying to be funny

15. RidgeRunner
    3:08 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

13, yes nice nights for the former Cats indeed.

Coach K’s assistant has vampire teeth plus some. Kinda gives me the creeps. Bet he takes a helluva bite out of an apple. Anyway…

16. IowaCat
    3:54 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Chris(t) Spatola? is that typo intentional? seems a little strange… just sayin’

17. Ukeei
    5:23 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Bees: U got part of it right. Dr. Todd did this on his own. BOT had NO oversight. Pres can make this decision w/o them.

18. SexnNursinHomes
    6:12 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

12- TFGM- classic

I’ve never even heard of vanessa carlton, she looks like one of those goth chicks that won’t suck a c**k. I hate goth chicks. They don’t spread their legs, they don’t do BJ’s, they don’t do anything….. but complain.

19. GoCats32
    6:25 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I hope we end up with five McDonald’s All-Americans this year. I’m hoping Trevor Lacey makes the AA team and then announces he’s coming to Kentucky.

20. LookingForward
    6:35 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

caption… damn coach what you been eatin?

21. BurnerTurner5
    6:59 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Duke=Fags

22. SexnNursinHomes
    7:04 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

21- well said.

23. Elian Gonzalez
    7:11 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

If anyone deserve a news and views, it is me.

24. Just saying
    7:24 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

6. I hear UL is in need of a few fans, you should give it a shot

25. see it for what it is
    7:29 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

i do believe he has shat himself.

26. barn
    7:44 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

good to see that old stool is back. what a ray of sunshine, another thing i’m sure he depresses over

27. Jezz
    8:08 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Florida can talk SEC Championship at this point… We couldn’t win at Alabama or Ole Miss, how the hell are we gonna win at Vandy…?

I sincerely hope they pull it off and I honestly think that it’s not a big deal anyway, because we’re almost always playing in front of a friendly crowd in the tournament, but at this point, we’re big underdogs for the SEC championship.

28. BukakenNursinHomes
    8:30 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Gotta love Vanessa with that nice long face. The better to …

Good to see the Old Fool old school is back. I suspected he would be in a foul mood after the ND fighting pedophiles smacked around his filthy Tardinals.

29. KSR1080Fan
    8:39 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Can we get a new poll?

30. I can't see the comments
    8:43 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I really can’t.

31. Theway
    8:52 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

That old fart SexnNursingHomes guy is just disgusting. I’m sure talk like that turns on the 98 year old woman in the female ward of his nursing home. He probably sneaks down the hall at night in his gown and peeks in their rooms. They really need to stop giving him so much prune juice and take away his computer.

32. Don
    8:55 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

“we’re big underdogs for the SEC championship”

While you are more than entitled to your opinion, I happen to think this aprticular portion of your statement is rather silly (and I’m being very nice).

4 SEC games by 2 points each. NO ONE sans UCONN has manhandled us in any form or fashion.

33. Cat in the Hat
    9:00 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

#6. That is a good one ! Hell, at this rate, we will pass UCLA for the total number of
    McDonalds’s national championships in no time at all.

34. lextc176
    9:03 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

6. You do realize UK is 17-6, ranked #16 (#11 in the RPI) and second in the SEC behind…..wait for it…the team picked pre-season to win it??

UK lost SEVEN guys that actually logged minutes, and replaced them with THREE (Poole doesnt play, and Knater is ineligible). The simple fact UK is ranked, and competing for ANY championship is a testiment to Calipari for how great of a coach he really is. NO OTHER SCHOOL IN AMERICA could survive the talent departure UK did and still be competitive. Ask UNC last year how easy it is to use freshman and win. Ask Baylor this season, or Memphis, or NC State how a top recruiting class works out!!

Calipari has very little post presence (mainly due to Kanter) and ZERO bench, yet he’s second in the league, and still has a chance to win it. Im gonna go with…get off his nuts!!

35. Stafford
    9:12 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Holy S, is that Nosferatu??

36. KSR1080Fan
    9:13 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

13) @RachaelRain on Twitter does a great job of this.

37. Owen
    9:16 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

There was an Accept t-shirt in Justified. That show seriously gets better and better. I hope they keep sneaking in t-shirts for awesome metal bands.

38. SexnNursinHomes
    9:21 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

31- how did you know? you got me totally figured out. kudos

39. 7
    9:26 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

UK actually had 7 McD’s AA in the previous 10 years..

07- Patterson
    04 – Rondo, Crawford, Morris.
    01 – Carruth
    99 – Bogans and Stone..

Just sayin.

40. Jezz
    9:26 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

32. My point is not that we’re not good enough to win it. I happen to think that we’re the best team in the SEC. My point is that to win it, you HAVE TO win on the road. We still have to take on Vandy and Tennessee away among others. And settle the score with Florida at home. I’m not saying we can’t do it, I’m just saying that the probability of doing it is thin compared to the probability of Florida winning the TN game this week-end and just cakewalking to the SEC Championship after that. When your probabilities are much thinner than your opponent’s, you’re the underdog.

41. F. McWhiskers
    9:31 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

old_school, please stop pissing in my Friskies. reading your posts, you’re obviously not a cat person. in people years I’m 96 years old. that makes me older_school. bow down.

42. Claw
    9:34 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Was just messing with you nursinghomesexer before I actually logged in. Really, you probably don’t get enough prune juice. I am a turrible prankster.

43. Al's IndiCats
    9:43 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

34) you bring up a great point. UNC had a team full of McDs AA last year and had the cohesiveness of Pitino and a Pro-life convention. For Cal to bring together from what we lost last year to the pros, I honestly think he had done a DAMN good job!

44. UKCAT67
    10:12 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Hey Chris Spatola? Act like you have won a game before! Geez! I saw him spaz out and couldn’t wait to see it on here today! Nice work whoever found this. I just wish we had the video of when he did this ‘I just saw a girls underpants’ dance. The video posted doesn’t compare to what he did on the bench.

45. willis
    10:28 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Justified = enough said.

The creepy old lady ending was literally the creepiest thing on TV since the Coach K American Express commercial.

46. john4uk
    10:52 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Anybody know what brand of hair color Coach K uses? Or could that be a toupee?

47. SanDiegoDave
    11:08 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Dude on the bench looks like he just got corn holed.

48. I can't see the comments
    11:15 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I mean, really.

49. GummyBear
    11:42 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I hate to admit it, but UofL got hosed on the Technical on Kuric.

50. damndookies
    11:53 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

i’m glad someone got that screengrab, i got infinitely angrier at the end of the game when i saw that

51. I can't see the comments
    2:24 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

No kidding.

52. Dan Issel
    3:05 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Let’s review this season:
    UNC > UK.

Duke > UNC.

No surprise here: DUKE >>> UK.

2010 Reigning NCAA Champs

53. Real Cats Fan
    3:34 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

The dude looks like Jim Carrey on acid! And Ferret Face looks like he’s grunting out a dookie in his drawers. We should have a “Name the Caption” contest for this one!

54. Duke for life
    4:49 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Atleast Duke is winning games and has something to be excited about.