Vandy is handing out commemorative SEC Tourney Champ rings Thursday

According to Jerome Boettcher, a writer for the Nashville City Paper, Vanderbilt is giving commemorative SEC Tournament Championship rings to the first 1,000 fans and first 500 students on Thursday night.

Aww, that’s cute.

That’s cuter.

#BeatVandy

37 Comments for Vandy is handing out commemorative SEC Tourney Champ rings Thursday

1. Indiana basketball team
    4:10 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

And you thought we were lame for getting sweet 16 rings!!!

2. SexnNursinHomes
    4:12 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

That big ol’ thang is a ring? nawwwwww

Vandy paperweight. Probably coated in cubic zirconia and stained with sterling-like silver. $20 bucks at Dollar General.

3. lol
    4:12 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

1 – You were.

4. tom
    4:13 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

why must we always put down accomplishments of others? It sometimes appears to be arrogance and sometimes even like we are trying to overcome some type of wierd inferiority complex.

We are national champions, everyone knows it. Why belittle others for their wins. Vandy did beat us last year for the Tourney championship. They deserve to promote that. We won the national title and deserve to promote that (and do).

Vandy deserves congratulations not demeaning.

Open season now on my thoughts. lol

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      4:16 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

4 – You’re telling me it’s not a coincidence that they’re handing these out the night they’re playing the team they beat in the SEC Championship? Excuse me if I hold back my congratulations.

5. Indiana basketball team
    4:14 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

3- agreed

6. UKcats58
    4:14 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

They aren’t even SEC Champs, they are SEC TOURNAMENT Champs. BIG difference! I wonder who was the regular season champs…

7. blairato
    4:16 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

I don’t remember who were SEC champs, but I think they were undefeated.

8. Go Mrs. T
    4:17 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

You tell them Mrs. Thompson!

9. Digger
    4:23 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

1) LISTEN TO ME— LISTEN TO ME. This is Vandy’s night. You had you night. This is for vandy —- ‘wounded vet enters the building’

10. Heisenberg's Blue Meth
    4:23 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #4, to an extent. No need to give fodder to the Vandy players. We should win handily but that gym is a unique place that can make good teams stumble.

11. bluebloodtoo
    4:24 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

We should just start taking these things as a compliment. If other teams overcelebrate when they beat you it just means they value it. That should be interpreted as a good thing. Just smile at them and say “thank you”. That’s probably the best way to annoy them as well 😉

12. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    4:25 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

What else are they going to give out?

13. tom
    4:25 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

7 – Mrs T. What better night to hand them out? Don’t get me wrong, of course we have bragging rights, nicer ring etc etc etc It’s just a feeling that EVERYTHING about other schools and fan bases aren’t all bad. Let them do what they do. Folks get it that their celebration is way below the one we had (and continue to have). Besides that, keep up the good work. I know how tough it is to jeep coming up with story ideas.

14. NotSatire
    4:25 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

NJT says, “This does not bode well for UK”…chuckle

15. SexnNursinHomes
    4:25 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

I hate Vandy. I remember clearly. Their students making “UK2Gay” t-shirts. Eff them, and eff their mommas too. Elitist punks.

16. Everyone should get a trophy
    4:28 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

4/11- go away you whiny little girls! Why in the hell should we not make fun of other teams for mediocre success. This would be like our football program BS(before stoops) getting rings for making a bowl game. Not winning it, just making it!

17. bluristhurr
    4:32 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

This isn’t that bad as IU(a program with history) did for a sweet 16.

18. tom
    4:34 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

17. while I understand you points, Vandy was one of only two teams to beat us last year (although the game didn’t mean too much to us at that point) and they made the tourney. I might rate that a little better than mediocre success on the grand scale. Compared to us though, of course, you are right. It was mediocre.

19. LS
    4:36 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

UK 72 VANDY 49

20. I Say
    4:41 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

So you all are telling me that if Louisville fans starting bragging about their final 4 run last year, you wouldnt remind them who the national champs are??? YEAH RIGHT, STFU. Vandy can suck it thinking they are cute handing these out. Although I do get it. But still you just want us to keep our mouths shut? No way, grow a pair.

21. Big Mike in The Wood
    4:43 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

#4 isn’t this their first SEC game of the season. They also likely want to encourage fan turnout for a game on national TV against Kentucky. It helps to actually have fans for a home court advantage other than having a horribly engineered court.

22. Big Mike in The Wood
    4:43 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Sorry that #4 was supposed to be to TT at #7

23. Nostalgia Critic
    4:45 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

That’s….just stupid.

24. CatsFaninFL
    4:46 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

I have no problem with them wanting to celebrate that accomplishment… it was one they don’t have very often so good for them. I do think it’s silly for them to do it on the night they play us. Is it supposed to be a jab? Because I think we all know how things played out in the games after that. I just thinking the timing is poor when the only way it can be interpreted is a poorly attempted jab at us…

25. BPsycho
    4:52 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

#2 Dolla sto takes $20s?

#14 Vandy having them made in the first place is funny. Tyler said she thought it was “cute” nothing more nothing less…

26. I Say
    5:06 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Of course it is a jab at us!

27. Go Deep
    5:08 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

I never want to talk about Vandy for 8 straight days ever again!!

28. Bob Loblaw
    5:38 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

That’s cute, but how is Jay doing?

29. Dear UL and IU fans, We are national champions; you are not. The end.
    5:38 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Adorable.

30. rixter
    5:56 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

I would think they would be embarrassed to give out SEC Tournament Champion rings on the night they are hosting the defending NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. Some people have self respect.

31. rixter
    5:56 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

LOL, some have NONE

32. 18 is right. I think this is more understandable than IU doing the Sweet 16 rings. Can you imagine Bama doing rings if they ever went to the Papa John’s Bowl?

33. Cornelius V.
    7:07 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

“You’re living in” Jerome ‘Private Idaho’ Beottcher.

34. Kevin Stallings
    7:17 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

I’d be a lot more hyped if they were giving out donut rings

35. Jenny Craig Pitino
    10:38 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Why do the people that say they don’t like a post, go to the comment section and write the longest comments on it, saying how little they care?

36. Oh, and I would LOVE to have a replica of the UK ring. That would be just…too…suh-WEET!!!