Vandy Fans Ready To Hang a Banner

Everyone has a different measure for success in life. For some, only making a million dollar deal, scoring 30 on the Oklahoma City Thunder or going to #1 on iTunes constitutes a successful day. For others, simply getting out of bed, rolling to McDonald’s on campus and not having a homeless man fart on you is cause for celebration. For Kentucky basketball, we measure our success with Final Fours and National Championships. But not every team is quite that lucky.

Take Vanderbilt…a nice, solid SEC program that has taken a different measurement to basketball glory. They are very excited to hang their SEC TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER! Yes, that is right. After winning a sleepy game in New Orleans over the eventual National Champion, Vandy fans have gone online to figure out how they will hang their banner. Ok, well it isn’t very many who have gone online…actually it is just two. But they are hoping that the Commodores will hang their banner versus Kentucky and one even suggest ESPN should show it on National television.

Now I have never hated Vandy..they are like your awkward, dorky cousin who has to tag along with you on your date to the movies. But this does pain me a bit. In fact, now I don’t know which is worse. Is having a ceremony to hang an SEC Tourney banner worse than making a display case over a regular season game in Bloomington? I am not sure, but just to let you know, I have called CNN and demanded Anderson Cooper to be in town for when we hang our “We Beat Tennessee for the First Time in 26 years drape from the top of Commonwealth. Its all about celebrating the little things.

Article written by Matt Jones

24 Comments for Vandy Fans Ready To Hang a Banner

1. Sean
    2:38 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think it’s necessary to diminish Vandy’s SEC championship. What they did is special to them, and they take pride in their program just as we do.

GO CATS!!!

2. MothersMilk
    2:40 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Awwwww, poor little things……..bless their hearts.

3. Ridge Runner
    2:43 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

1..agreed.

Good for them.

4. C. Thomas Howell
    2:48 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

If only we were playing “Caption the pic.” Those girls are so excited. “Like OMG, we’re getting how many inches?!?!”

5. HillbillyInBC
    2:51 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

I’m a Vandy hater from way back (went there for 2 years and it was the worst experience of my life), and this makes me LOL. I think they should also hang a “We filled Memorial for Gameday (with a little help from those people dressed in blue)” banner.

6. UKBlue
    2:55 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

We are all officially screwed because people delusions have taken over. People have no idea their place in life. UK will win the SEC in football before Vandy hangs a banner in anything.

7. AlabamaLovesKSR
    3:01 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

5- classic GDI sentiment

8. rjr
    3:01 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

I think you are being a bit harsh on Vandy. Hey, if we won the SEC East in Football, I have a feeling they would shut down the state when we hung that banner. As an aside, UK does have a banner in Memorial of our SEC championships, but obviously we couldn’t hang an individual banner for each.

Ease up Matt, good for Vandy, glad they are excited.

9. louisvillelaw22
    3:07 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Aw come on Matt let them have this one. It is sweet. Hell, if I was in Nashville I would attend and give a standing ovation head to toe in UK gear.

10. bmt22033
    3:11 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

I agree with 1, 3 and 8. An SEC tournament championship is certainly not the same as an NCAA national championship and we wouldn’t treat it as such but our basketball pedigree is a little different than Vanderbilts. But it’s still a legitimate accomplishment for Vandy and we shouldn’t give them grief for wanting to celebrate it. I’m not sure why you’d even ask the question “Is having a ceremony to hang an SEC Tourney banner worse than making a display case over a regular season game in Bloomington?” Of course it’s not! IU looked just as stupid as their fans did before, during and after that game when they built a display case to celebrate their win. Now that *is* something to be embarrassed about!

11. UK Homer
    3:15 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Haha! So pathetic! Who cares if you beat UK once…we won the national championship! I’ll just pretend I didn’t buy that framed photo of the UK/LSU 2007 football game. Btw, shocked at how decent the middle one looks. Way to show progress Vandy!

12. HillbillyInBC
    3:19 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

7 – That’s exactly right, to borrow Matt’s favourite phrase. Never bothered to wear a Gamma Delta Iota t-shirt, but I had a few friends who did.

13. thenamerobdigity
    3:26 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Vandy won because they were better on that day. Big ups to Vandy, they won and they can do what they want with THEIR banner.

14. jimbob
    3:30 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Conference championships don’t matter anymore. Got it.

15. Vandy girls...
    3:31 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Why do we never have a tan…must we always be so ghostly white!?!

16. Beavis
    3:49 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Sure,,,let them hang their SEC championship banner. However if they decide to do it when UK visits Nashville we should rehang our NCAA championship banner when they visit Lexington. LOL I am sorry,,,I think if they wait till we show up to hang it,,,,very poor taste.

17. HHUKBBN
    4:35 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

I think Vandy is hanging a banner because they won the SEC Tourney, not because they beat UK. They would be hanging it no matter who they beat. To be honest, Vandy has given us as much trouble as any team in the nation the last 5 or so years.They lost everybody this year and I dont see them being very good for the next 2 years, but they will rebuild. Now their football team is a different story, As long is Franklin is there I think their football team will be on the rise and it will hard for us to catch up.

18. stan
    5:13 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

If I had beaten our team last year, I would hang a banner for sure. After all, not many people can say they beat THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS AND WOKE THE GIANT UP.

19. Pot meet kettle
    6:15 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Oh Jesus h. Christ Matt jones grow up and attach a nut sack. Are ky men this insecure? If we’re talking football I get it? Your display after beating tenn was more embarrassing than this. Then again maybe losing by 30+ to vandy was…

20. STEVE!
    10:07 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

It was their first SEC Tournament Championship in 50 or 60 years. Just think about that.. and let them enjoy their moment.

21. VANDYRUKIDDING
    11:06 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Vandy wins one SEC Tourney every 60 years…WOW…How exciting..

22. Russell
    1:43 am August 19, 2012 Permalink

I like that of all reporters, Matt invited Anderson Cooper. Figures. Have fun, Matt.

23. jon n ky
    10:35 am August 19, 2012 Permalink

This is almost as funny as when Bruce Pearl tried to hang tennesseeselite 8 banner but couldn’t cause all of Pat summits banners

24. Rae
    6:53 pm August 19, 2012 Permalink

I think when we go to Nashville we should bring a thank you card with us. After all, if UK had won the SEC Tourney they might not have woken up and won the whole thing. So thanks Vandy.