Vandy assistant coach doesn’t let UT trolls get away with offensive tweets

884553

Every fan base has its trolls. We know them well here at KSR. While most of us just ignore them and wait for them to slither back beneath their bridge, Vanderbilt offensive line/run game coordinator Herb Hand took action. Hand received some offensive tweets about his wife from a Tennessee fan, and replied to them with the following message:

“Feel free to come by anytime so we can talk about this in person like men. …You are welcome to come to my office so we can discuss this face to face…I fully welcome the opportunity.”

He also copied the tweet into a text message and sent it to Tennessee head coach Butch Jones. Here’s a screencap (warning: salty and somewhat blurred language ahead):

herbhandtext

Hand has since deleted the tweets from his feed, but posted this message to his followers this morning:

BKzCIqjCcAA_2L1.jpg_large

Some will say that Hand went too far and should have just ignored the tweets, but I applaud him for calling the guy out. Next time you guys get unruly in the comments section, maybe we’ll have him pay you a little visit.

37 Comments for Vandy assistant coach doesn’t let UT trolls get away with offensive tweets

1. Hmm
    2:02 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

How can you move on if your anchor is down?

2. Rockfield, KY
    2:03 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I give him his respect. Now let’s see if the chicken$hit fan goes and visits him in his office. I like that he called the guy out.

3. I Say
    2:08 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

This is too cool. I would love to play for a football coach with that kind of grit and attitude.

4. Fo Sho
    2:08 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Coach, let me get back to you, teaching your wife the dirty Sanchez. Thanks Butch

5. Man Up
    2:09 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Love that he called that fan out. Everyone feels so safe behind their screens, whether computer or cell phone, and think that their words do not carry any consequences. This particular person, and most every anonymous internet loudmouth, will never face any repercussions for their words on social media. I am glad they got at least called out. These words would never be said to anyones face, unless they were prepared for a physical altercation. There is no high road in situations like these. You run your mouth, prepare to have it busted.

6. Quick Ricky P
    2:10 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Well, do we know if she’s cheating on him or not? Wouldn’t be the first.

7. SocialMediaI_is_Evil
    2:12 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Coach is doing exactly what the trolls hoped he would. Please stop encouraging them.

8. Sheldon Cooper
    2:15 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

4.Lol

9. Michael F. Jox
    2:23 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

His wife must be really hot too. Isn’t that a rule at Vandy?

10. BigBlueBrock
    2:24 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Successful troll is successful.

11. Musehobo
    2:26 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I have no problem with him calling that dude out. But sending the tweet in a text to UT’s coach is a little weird, isn’t it? I mean it’s not like it was one of UT’s players. What did he expect Butch to do?

12. I Say
    2:29 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

11 Yea thats my only problem with it

13. VinnyCent
    2:30 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

He did what should have been done. People need to know the consequences of their actions. Troll or not, I would like to see a fight.

14. KyJake
    2:30 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

#11 – I had the same thought. If he wants to confront trolls on Twitter, that’s his business. But telling Butch Jones about it? Kick him out of the fanbase, Butch… he said mean things. Weird.

15. Slade
    2:31 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I know Herb Hand. He would not mind a bit to kick this guys ass. Nothing worse than a little nerd running their mouth behind a computer screen.

16. macon_volfan
    2:31 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

These type of things make me sad. I both love internet, but hate it because it’s so easy for people to hide behind a keyboard.

Also with the cell phone screencaps that the Vandy coach took–notice that he has both an ATT iPhone and a Verizon iPhone. He’s living the dream.

17. Rockfield, KY
    2:33 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

2012:

Vandy 41
    UT 18

Which team is this guy calling pathetic again?

18. BNClay
    2:34 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

All parties involved act like they are in about 10th grade.

19. Thats Awesome but I'm confused...
    2:37 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I think what the coach did was excellent display of respect for his wife and family and above board in the class he used to both address the issue while not allowing the issue to lower his own standings. Just one thing… And it’s a little thing… How can they move forward if the anchor is down? I’m not a seaman I’ll admit, is that a thing they say? Still though, very classy and assertative. Well done.

20. Kristen Geil's Abs
    2:43 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

The nasty posts and tweets, sent out anonymously these days, represent pretty much the weakest element of society. It, unfortunately, shows that people are not inherently good. People will actually go out of their way to attempt to “hurt” others without anything to gain.

21. UK Alum
    3:00 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Obviously he did not type both the text message to Butch Jones & text on the iPhones notebook because one is on an AT&T network and the other is on Verizon. Unless it’s normal to carry around two iPhones…

22. NoMoreMagicHat
    3:13 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

#20, agreed.

Think Coach Hand could speak to Magic Hat on behalf of West Sixth?

23. JEREMY
    3:14 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

While I do not condone fans acting like this, the same should be said about KSR and this coach. How does this make things better by posting this stuff. You are only making matters worse by giving these people more press, you are essentially giving it wings! Two wrongs do not make a right! Plus with the KSR incident they were showing their own fans bad tweets or comments, at least this coach was calling out a rival fan base trying to make them look bad! And now KSR is trying to attach itself to this story to make it look like it was jusified. Think before you post stuff KSR, just like you are asking the BBN to do! Practice what you preach!

24. CarefulWhatYouWishFor
    3:25 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

@21 – nice read. thanks.

25. Skeptical
    3:58 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Are both of these supposed to be from the same person? Not that it isn’t possible, but why does one of the screenshots say it is from an AT&T phone and one of the screenshots show it is from a Verizon phone.

26. Starve the Tards
    4:12 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Sometime I have to laugh, thinking, “Has this guy only had the internet for one day?” How can anyone not be totally desensitized to meanies on the internet? If you give trolls the power to offend you, it’s your fault. Plain and simple. They win as soon as they create an emotion inside you. If you hand out that kind of power of your mind to strangers on the internet, I pity you, Sir.

27. NotFirst
    4:21 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

UT fans are just pissed that Layla Kiffin isn’t around from them to whack it to anymore.

28. Butch, You There?
    4:37 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

So Butch Jones has 20 unread messages? Maybe they all just came in at once on his 3G.

29. maconvolfan
    4:39 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

#29–that is Hand’s phone. That screenshot was from Hand’s twitter feed (since deleted.)

30. Sean D
    4:53 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Mr Hand played a big role in the molding of a young Jeff Spicolli.

31. randy savage
    5:18 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Ooohhhh yeahhhhh. Kick that dude’s ass, coach

32. Chicago Chris
    5:26 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Well, play it out. The guy comes to his office, he repeats the tweet and then there’s a fist fight. Coach loses his job, even if the majority of the public agree with him.

33. BigRush
    5:55 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

@33… Actually I beg to differ. I went to VU. The Vandy cops would sweep that under the rug. This guy would then plea to the highest authority in Nashville and all attempts would be ignored. No one would ever know it happened…

34. call them out
    6:32 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I applaud the coach for calling out this loser. I also applaud KSR for printing the obnoxious tweets from our fans to Wiggins last week. There have been several instances of idiots losing their jobs when their tweets or emails have gone public. Perhaps, this behavior will lessen if there are repercussions.

35. jpizzle
    11:17 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

31. >>>>

36. Gary
    9:03 am May 22, 2013 Permalink

@22 and @26…It’s entirely possible that he typed one on an iPhone and one on an iPad with different service providers for each one, particularly if the school is paying for one or both on bulk accounts.