BBN paints UT’s Rock blue

These are pictures of “The Rock,” an infamous landmark on the University of Tennessee campus, on Monday night and Tuesday morning. Students paint The Rock throughout the year, often times with sorority or fraternity messages, happy birthdays, big sporting events/recruits, etc.

According to Tom Satkowiak, Associate Media Relations Director at UT, The Rock has since been repainted:

Well done, BBN.

38 Comments for BBN paints UT’s Rock blue

1. Bruce Pearl
    9:22 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

I got this idea when I was at the UK game earlier this year

2. Mattius00
    9:23 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

Whoever did that. Major props.

3. Owensboro CatFan
    9:26 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

Good idea then Bruce

4. CatlantaBlue
    9:28 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

Rude.

5. nassau65
    9:28 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

TT, anyone ever tell you, you rock?

6. Harlan Man
    9:34 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

Abso-freakin LOVE it! BIG BLUE onna a Rooollllllllllllll with no end in sight!!!!

7. QuickyRicky
    9:41 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

I think it was nice for our SEC, brothers to honor our wildcats in this manner. Thanks TENVOLFAN.

8. BigBlueSkyDog
    9:49 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

Haha. #BBN has it’s own Special Ops that can get inside enemy territory anytime it wishes. Eat your hearts out, Vols.

9. Scrapinfificat
    9:57 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

Living in Knoxville for the last 35 years I have seen and heard of a lot of things painted on “That Rock” but this gives me great joy!!!!!
    To the person or persons who improved the art work on “The Rock” thank you from the bottom of my heart, way to show the world the blue mist is everywhere.

10. Oak Factory Outlet Retard Kid
    9:57 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

Who ever did that painted over a memorial for two UT students that died on Spring Break. :/

11. Blueswade
    10:12 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

How about a different name #10.
    Cant call people out with a name like that.

12. BigBlueSkyDog
    10:17 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

10) You’re right. They should have painted it on the 50 yard line in Neyland Stadium.

13. bigredbleedsblue
    10:19 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

10- What do think should have replaced it next week? Student’s profanity? Recruiting advertisements? What do you think would have been appropriate for a rock used to encourage students to freely express themselves on a college campus? Unless you thought it would stay like that forever maybe you take a deep breath and gain some perspective.

14. In Blue Orleans
    10:39 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

That rocks!

15. carlos toomer
    10:40 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

Cool. Nicely done. It used to be a tradition to paint the testicles of John Hunt Morgan’s equestrian statue at the old courthouse blue after beating Tennessee for some reason.

16. UKClay
    10:47 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

Your welcome….To be fair to me, their was already some different sorority stuff on their. Spring break was 2 and a half weeks ago and the rock gets painted like every other night

17. anthony
    10:55 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

HAHA. It has been rectified? It can’t be rectified. It was already done and it’s permanent. You can’t take away the fact that it happened which is HILARIOUS!!!

18. RIP Ryan and Kevin
    11:21 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

Ryan was a great guy. The rock had been memorialized for a few days with the instructions: Please don’t paint over for one week

There was no sorority stuff on the sign. Those were the greek letters representing the deceased’s fraternities.

Not blaming those who did this, as I have heard it is UT dropout who was not aware of the situation.

Normally this would be a nice little prank to pull in all the jubilation, but please understand the sensitivity of the situation on our end.

God Bless and RIP Ryan and Kevin.

19. bluebayou
    12:02 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

I’m all about BBN, but painting the rock is UT’s thing. Leave it be.

20. Thommytwotonesoffun
    12:56 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

That is Hilarious. It not just “normally nice little prank” it was an awesome expression or pure rivalry on the tenn equivalent of a white board! Total awesome move! Stop acting like they painted their tombstones.

21. UKClay
    1:29 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

#18 My mistake. We didn’t know that was the memorial and we honestly thought IT HAD been up a week but I guess we were wrong. I apologize and I guess I didn’t understand the full meaning of it. RIP to Ryan and Kevin. No disrespect was meant to them, their families, or you and their frat brothers. Just a joke with apparent bad timing.

22. Furry Beaver
    2:46 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Memorials are for grave yards

Spirit is for the living.. all dead people )if you could ask them) would agree.

Put your pride in your pocket and swallow a big gulp of irrelevant, UT

23. Furry Beaver
    2:51 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

How many SEC students from opposing schools have urinated (and worse) on that rock over the years?!? Give everyone a big break orange crush.

By the way, how could you people painting memorials of recently deceased students on it after it had been used as a toilet? What a poor choice by a butt hurt bunch of gingers.

24. BigVOLDaddy
    6:22 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

although this was clearly a good laugh getter for the BBN, in the end, Kentucky will always be the home of bluegrass, basketball and a state proud of it’s INCESTery….Kentucky state motto: 5 million people, 5 last names!

25. Derp
    6:59 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

24, pot meet kettle! You can say with a straight face that you don’t have any embarrassing inhabitants of that state? Hah!

26. warrior
    8:19 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

I hate TN athletics with every fiber of my body.

27. earl
    8:54 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Me and the boys painted that thing in ’98, UK#1 Too bad phone pics were not around. Will try to scan it for a post.

28. Jennifer J
    9:19 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

I went to school at UT in 97-2000… I remember the rock being painted with the big K logo for Kentucky.. It was awesome. Everyone was freaking out— being from kentucky I just appreciated it and laughed..

29. KnoxvilleCatFan
    9:39 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

#23 – Don’t be such a jerk. I heard Coach Cal propping up Tennessee all through the pre-SEC tourney. In my opinion it was an attempt to draw national attention to their basketball program and help TN get in the tourney. Coach Cal is always supporting the SEC…Sure wish the the SEC schools (and fans) would reciprocate, but that is rare. I was fortunate to be in New Orleans when Kentucky and Arkansas were in the final four and there were chants of ‘SEC’ throughout the streets and the Superdome throughout those two days. There was no bigger basketball rivalry at that time than Kentucky & Arkansas, but the fans appreciated & respected their rival’s programs. All I heard in Knoxville this past week is they didn’t care who won as long as it was not Kentucky. I’m a Kentucky fan first, but I’m also a SEC Fan. It’s people like you that make me question why I’m a supporter of the other SEC teams. Sorry for the long post…

30. Participant
    9:47 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

#29 is right. But envy has taken over and an anti-Ky hatred is pervasive by the fans elsewhere. Down deep though, they still want to be us.

31. KnoxvilleCatFan
    10:14 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

I was referring #24 in my last post…

32. Jimi Garden of Eden
    10:15 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

24…FYVM…from your first cousin.

33. Bill
    12:42 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

#24 must be a “closet” UK fan…why else is he on a UK fan site?

34. CatFanInAL
    1:39 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

#15 Different groups of people have painted that part of John Hunt Morgan’s horse because his horse was a mare not a stallion;). The prank is to draw attention to the error – at least for one Transy fraternity.

35. Max
    2:20 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

Shame that a memorial for two UT students who died over Spring Break was painted over for a prank. That’s o.k. I’m sure their friends and families will understand.

36. JMH1304
    4:41 pm April 4, 2012 Permalink

My son attends UT and he says this kind of thing happens a lot. After UT lost in the NIT that school was painted on the Rock. This kind of thing has happened many times. Not the right place for a memorial. I’m sure no ill was meant. By the way my son wears his UK shirts on campus, he is a UK fan first and a UT fan next.

37. BigVOLDaddy
    12:07 am April 6, 2012 Permalink

to 36….any particular reason your son didnt go to UK, if he’s a UK fan first? not trying to be nosey, just curious why he wouldnt go to UK, unless ofcourse UK doesnt offer what he takes, then it makes sense.

38. BigVOLDaddy
    12:11 am April 6, 2012 Permalink

to #33…no, im far from a closet anything, especially a UK fan. It’s common for fans of rival teams to visit others board. we get rivals on our boards all the time. That’s not my normal practice, but when i searched for the picture, this is the site that came up with it, that’s why i’m here….I’m back to see what kind of replies my first comment got. to reply to some of the “Sec HOmers” on here: Personally i dont see anything wrong with either way of being a fan. if you support UK and the rest of the sec…good for you. If you support UK and hate my VOLS guts and anyone else in the sec..Good for you. I choose the latter method. I root for the VOLS and anyone playing UK, BAMA, UF and so on.