USA Today’s Jason Jordan on Julius Randle

Geeked!

No writer on the planet has more access to Julius Randle than USA Today’s Jason Jordan, so we asked him to join us on the radio show this morning to discuss Randle’s recruitment. He accepted our invitation and had a lot of great things to say:

Jordan opened things up by saying Kentucky is in great position with the nation’s No. 1 recruit. Texas, North Carolina and Duke are right up there with the Cats to round out his current top 4. Rick Barnes? Yes. Rick Barnes.

He also talked about Cal’s visit to Randle’s home and how he was the only coach to show up with a driver. Matt asked if Cal’s driver wore a hat — a fair question, right? — and he said, “I think he did have a hat. I’m not completely sure, but I’m 99% sure he had a hat.”

Jordan also said Randle was “geeked” about meeting Drake in Lexington and Jay-Z is his favorite rapper. That’s good to know, considering Calipari showed off photos with the two rappers during the in-home visit.

To close the show, Matt asked Jordan who he would bet on if he were in Vegas and had to make a play on what school Randle would choose. “Awwwww man, if I had to pick,” Jordan said. “I’m going with Kentucky.”

We’ll have the podcast after the show.

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for USA Today’s Jason Jordan on Julius Randle

1. Cal's Driver
    11:17 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

I was wearing a CATS flatbill.

2. Villian
    11:17 am September 28, 2012 Permalink

12th

3. I Say
    12:39 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

“I’m going with Kentucky,” that sounds nice.

4. Aaron C Bunch
    12:43 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

Dude, how could you not come to Kentucky? He’s got a UK sweater on and in a picture with Drake. That blows EVERY OTHER pitch he received way out of the water. We got ’em on lock. Go Cats.

5. Jezz
    12:55 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

Dude is Terrence Jones 2.0. New and improved. Come on down.

6. BigBlusSotru
    1:30 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

Jay Z, Drake Drizzy, little Wayne, Kanye how can a young man not join the bb nation with these connections, Cal is the greatest coach ever to coach.

7. Will S
    1:37 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

6) Lebron, Kobe, Carmelo, Durant, and Chris Paul say Hello from Coach K’s iPhone.

I think it will come down to UK, UNC, and Duke. At this point, even Julius doesn’t know where he’s gonna end up. The SI articles were awesome though. Never read anything like it. This kid is a stud and whoever lands him will have the best freshman big man in the country.

8. James K
    3:27 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

I hate to jump to the Jones comparions so quickly just because he’s left handed, but he really does play like Jones. Probably with more of a mean streak and not as much of a deliberate release on his J.

9. gog8ors
    5:53 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

I wouldn’t put a lot of credibility into the opinion of Jason Jordan. He didn’t even mention Florida which happens to be much more in the hunt for Randle than most think. Donovan coached him this summer and established a great relationship with Julius and his mom loves Donovan. Not saying that he ends up at Florida at this point but I sure wouldn’t count us out. Plus, throw in playing with a pure point guard(Kasey Hill) that knows how to get the ball to the “bigs” has to be appealing too. Texas, UK, and Florida are his top three from what I am hearing.

10. CATS
    6:42 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

#9 – Not saying Florida isnt a leader, but Florida has Chris Walker as PF. Unless they tend on using Walker as a center.

11. Linda Taylor
    9:22 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

7 – LeBron loves Coach Cal and KY. How many Duke games has he gone to? Melo went to ‘Cuse. Chris Paul went to Wake Forest. Durant went to Texas. That leaves Kobe and he doesn’t really seem to care about college basketball. Which rappers is coach K associated with again?

12. curious kyle
    1:23 pm September 29, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know why..but everytime i see this picture i always think Julius Randle look like a cardboard cutout. Am i the only one??