USA Today profiles Andrew Wiggins

Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about Andrew Wiggins is somewhere in USA Today’s new piece on Andrew Wiggins. Well, everything except where he is going and whether or not he’ll reclassify.

Eric Prisbell writes about Wiggins’ life as a high school junior in and outside of the spotlight, his addiction to Eggo waffles, and how he ended up in Huntington, West Virginia.

There’s even a little bit about which way he is leaning and who will help him decide:

Despite the public interest, Wiggins’ college decision has been on the backburner. Wiggins had not spoken at length about it with Fulford until Friday, when the coach asked, if Wiggins had to choose a school right now, which it would be. Wiggins had no idea. And he said he was unsure of which schools were recruiting him.

Though Fulford has told Wiggins that he believes Wiggins should enter college next season, Wiggins said his final decision will be made in consultation with his parents in Canada.

Wiggins’ host family, meantime, is divided when asked if they’d be surprised if he returned to high school.

“I would be,” Scott Thomas said. “It’s like jumping in a pool. The water is cold at first, but I think he will jump in and be fine.”

Countered Lesley Thomas: “I wouldn’t be. Mentally, he questions himself, and if you question whether you are ready, you are not ready … I think if he goes, it’s because he is pushed, not because he’s ready.”

Give it a read and then continue praying that he comes to Kentucky.

The kid is unreal.

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for USA Today profiles Andrew Wiggins

1. Archie's Dunk
    10:41 am October 25, 2012 Permalink

2. slojoe
    10:58 am October 25, 2012 Permalink

He is definitely leaving his options open as of now. InCalWeTrust

3. John O
    11:00 am October 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m not sure if he will want to play for Cal. He said in that article that he is not a gym rat, and we know Cal loves gym rats. He may not want to work as hard as Cal wants players to work and that could be part of the reasons of him “opening” up his recruitment.

4. Tickets
    11:04 am October 25, 2012 Permalink

eBay auction for season tickets ends around 2:30 today:

5. Jodie Meeks
    11:17 am October 25, 2012 Permalink

Why did they use a picture of me? Could they not find one of Wiggins?

6. Mack
    11:17 am October 25, 2012 Permalink

The USAtoday article presents Wiggins as a person that does not want to get any better and he thinks he already good enough, I hope that isn’t true. Of course if Coach thought that was the truth he would not be recruiting him. As Coach often stated, UK is not for everyone.

7. Roofus Howls
    11:32 am October 25, 2012 Permalink

Agree with #5. Very strong resemblance.

8. real perspective
    11:50 am October 25, 2012 Permalink

I’m a huge UK fan, and not to sound preachy or condescending, but did you really suggest we pray that Wiggins comes to UK? I have about a bazillion suggestions of things to pray for before taking the time to do that.

9. eric
    12:17 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Its interesting the article notes that he isnt a gym rat and doesnt have much of a desire to get better

10. Sevie C
    12:20 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Even if Wiggins doesn’t come to UK we could still go undefeated if we get Randle.
    We would still have the #1 PF; the #1 PG; the #1 SG; the #1 C; and, the #2 SF for that class.

Wiggins has more to gain by coming to UK than vice-versa. The above class would win the NT w/o Wiggins.
    Wiggins won’t win the NT w/o UK.

Wiggins is a great player and he will probably be the #1 pick in the draft (I would still like to see what Cal could do for Randle though), but only one team can win the NT each year.

11. James
    2:05 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

10. I agree with your opinion. Would I love to have Wiggins? Of course. However, let’s not lose sight here. Randle is the more important get for the TEAM. Having Randle solidifies our front court and truly makes us a title contender (once again in ’13-’14). If Wiggins came, he would have to start out of position I think….probably at SF. James Young would be a perfect 6 guy and get as many minutes as anyone.