USA Today honors Nerlens Noel

You’re looking at the upper left corner of the USA Today sports section. Nerlens’ injury has been the talk of college basketball for the past few days, and the newspaper found a creative, yet quiet way to honor him, giving their signature dot a flat top.

Man, I thought I was starting to accept this until now…

31 Comments for USA Today honors Nerlens Noel

1. Trey
    10:41 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

Nice gesture, to say the least. 🙁

2. PatPattersonISwalkingthruthatdoor
    10:43 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

now THAT is cool

3. Jus Sayin
    10:46 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

Now thats dope!

4. douggercats
    10:46 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

The liberal media will stoop to any level to sell papers to you rubes. Just kidding. Nice gesture. Wishing the flat-topped feller a speedy recovery.

5. Gavin S.
    10:49 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

That is really cool.

6. James
    10:50 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

Classy move by USA Today. The entirety of the sports media has gotten behind Nerlens Noel and Kentucky through all of this. It’s great to see. Hopefully some changes will be made in regards to the stupid one and done rule. It’s been the big debate and it needed to happen, it sucks that Nerlens’ ACL tear was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

They need to let these kids play right out of high school or adopt the MLB/college baseball rule of making it manditory to stay in cllege if they choose not to go pro. The NBA got what they wanted out of Nerlens; a sample size of how he plays against high-level competition. They couldn’t care less about college basketball.

7. The Real Pioneer
    10:51 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

Troy McKinley would give the paper 2 big thumbs up for this one.

8. justafish2002
    10:58 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

You’re correct James. They need a system where high school kids can jump directly to the NBA if they want or attend college for a minimum of 2-3 years.

9. therussk
    11:00 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

#7 did you go to SK too?

10. Matt
    11:00 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

Hey TT when you guys have to delete comments on here is there any way to just remove the text but leave a place holder at whatever number it was? The easiest way to reply to someone’s comment on here is to put the number of their post at the beginning but when you guys have to remove a bunch of posts it throws everything off. Thanks

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      11:17 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

Matt — I see your point, but it’s easiest for us to place the comment and IP address under moderation. Maybe you guys can start to refer to each other’s comments by the poster’s screen name instead of post #? When you get as many trolls as we do, taking the time to edit each one to say “comment moderated” takes a while.

11. gottodoit
    11:01 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

#4 – Liberal media? Get off that tired horse. Best wishes to Nerlens – not kidding.

12. kdh2011
    11:01 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

That’s really nice

13. Do you think...
    11:05 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

Do you think that is a NCAA violation. I know its a stretch but it would seem if that truly is for Nerlens then it would appear to be wrong. Listen, I’m not a troll, I’m just wondering out loud. Just think if Paul Miller Ford did the “O” in their logo with that. Or if Two Keys advertised a party that way. I’m just wondering…

14. Clayton Bigsby
    11:05 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

Don’t let the liberal meeedia tellll youuu how you should think and feel!

15. Jpo
    11:10 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

11. Read it again

16. Ineed
    11:18 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

I need that t-shirt!

17. El Pollo Loco
    11:18 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

That’s awesome.

13- I get what you’re saying but as long as it’s not as an advertisement I think it’s fine. Also, it’s ambiguous enough that they can say that’s not why they did it if questions really arose.

18. Nerlens Noel
    11:25 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

I just wish they had made me blue instead of red. UGGG!

19. John Ellis
    11:53 am February 14, 2013 Permalink

Nerlens wasn’t ready for the NBA out of high school and may not be ready to do this year. He is very thin still. He wouldn’t have jumped.
    Nice to see some national recognition, he’s really been penalized by the title team of last year. He’s one of the five greatest UK big men and will have the least laurels of any of them. He should have been and be in POY talk, he had the same impact Ewing did as a freshman (Ewing had more talented and experienced teammates).

20. buzzard
    12:12 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

THAT IS COOL!!!

21. Matt
    12:25 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

TT I understand. I was just hoping there would be a way you could set it up to automatically do that. Thanks

22. Louisville Kentucky Mortgage
    12:34 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

That is awesome. The power of #BBN

23. Al's IndiCats
    12:36 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

You AND I both Ms. T….

24. Tyler Cox
    12:43 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

#9 Simon Kenton?

25. CatSinceBirth
    12:46 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

A little off the subject, but I have often wondered why there aren’t more guys, and gals hurt from those goal posts. You see them slamming into them all the time. I know they’re padded well, but all it takes is something like NN’s landing, and it’s all over with. They should be able to build them so that they extend out from behind the students, and press that are lined up on the end. There’s no excuse for having to be slammed into those things that are within a couple feet of the end line if you don’t have to be. Maybe at least UK will wake up and make the change. Let the bodies catch you, not the goal post. Let’s see if our guys shy away from the posts now. I know a couple who will. “Best of luck big guy”.

26. CATNTN
    1:00 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

gottodoit….Just because it is a tired horse, doesn’t mean it’s not a Nag. Best wishes to Noel. Get well soon!

27. Nerlens Fan Forever
    1:32 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

As a 50 year plus BBN family member, thanks for a very awesome gesture, to a fabulous basketball player, AND young man. For the BBN, his loss is our loss. However, not as some might think of us crazy Wildcat fans! It’s because of Nerlens, his health and well being comes WAY before wins and losses. We LOVE our basketball in Kentucky, it’s a way of life! I have a LOVE as all BBN for PAST, PRESENT, and future players! I thank you USA Today, as well to all of you great fans! And just hope he goes pro,because he returns Wildcats will be unstoppable!

28. Mapcatfan
    2:24 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

That is awesome! Boy, am I going to miss him. : ( Get well soon, Nerlens!

29. Chicago Chris
    2:37 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

#kentuckyeffect

30. Kathy Jones
    2:48 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

This a special tribute to a classy young man.
    Here’s wishing him a complete, speedy recovery and
    the best future in the NBA.