USA Today has a full timeline of Noel’s exhausting draft day

USA Today

Thursday didn’t go as planned for Nerlens Noel. Not only did he slip five spots past where he believed he would go, he was stuck in the NBA draft’s phone room for hours after all the other draftees were long gone, waiting for his trade to be finalized.

“I was getting sleepy in there,” he told USA Today.

A Barclays security guard said, “Think you’re having a long day? Try being the sixth pick when you’re supposed to be the first, then getting traded and waiting forever. So much for celebrating. That’s the worst draft day ever right there.”

Noel was stuck in the arena until 1:00 a.m. after the draft, over seven hours after he first arrived at the Barclays Center with his family. When he was finally able to leave, he tried to stay positive, telling USA Today, “Each of those teams saw something in me that they considered a weakness. If you think it was the knee, that’s fine. You just gave me more motivation now. To the (teams that passed) all I’ve got to say is ‘thank you.’ I can’t wait to get on the court even more now.”

Follow his entire day here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for USA Today has a full timeline of Noel’s exhausting draft day

1. Doworknoel
    11:13 am June 28, 2013 Permalink

Noel will be just fine. Maybe his draft night was a little boring but he’s a millionaire and now has a chip on his shoulder to work even harder. Good for him. Do work

2. tom
    11:23 am June 28, 2013 Permalink

did cal stay with him all that time?

3. tyson
    11:32 am June 28, 2013 Permalink

When KSR hears the real story about why he slipped, please post it or post links. I didn’t believe the stories about his entourage when they were floating around, but it is looking more and more like those stories may have been true.

4. Ridge Runner
    11:58 am June 28, 2013 Permalink

The video… It’s as if they are cattle. Placed in a barnyard, told to stay, one bidder tags ya and then someone else tags ya.

5. Rei
    12:01 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

I think Noel will be fine. The 76ers seemed to have done a good job on draft night, plus he’s playing with one of his best friends now (MCW). Gonna hate not seeing him on the block with Davis, but Philly isn’t TOO far from KY.

6. Ridge Runner
    12:17 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

5, I think so too. Now if the sixers can find them a coach.

7. BlueDeuce
    12:26 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

I would have liked to see him go #1 but at least now he has tasted rejected and defeat. It can only make him stronger…

8. bosshog
    12:31 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

I loved Nerlens at UK and hope he will do great. But honestly, it is a business, and in that sense I think a little disingenuous to get upset about such things. They simply remind us that at the end of the day the NBA is about making money just like the rest of society-we’re looking in the mirror here.

9. TheTruth
    1:14 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

At the end of the day the NBA is made up of mostly pampered people that thinks the world owes them something because they can play a game. Over paid, whiney, & spoiled would describe 90% of the NBA.

10. 1ST Merchant Funding
    4:24 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Hi my own cherished one! I would like to claim that this article is awesome, good authored obtainable using around almost all crucial infos. I would like to search further blogposts in this way .