USA Today Checks in With Cal, Noel

USA Today caught up with Coach Cal yesterday in order to check in on everyone’s favorite 2012 #1 prospect, Nerlens Noel.  As is often the case with high-profile reclassifiers, there were some questions over the last couple months about whether or not his academic qualifications were a hundred percent up to speed.  So, instead of speculating ::coughThamelcough::, they decided to get the info straight from the coach’s mouth.  According to Calipari:

We feel comfortable. It’s a review that those kinds of players go through. When you reclassify, you’re going to have reviews. When you reclassify and some people are mad you reclassified, there are going to be some reviews. That’s how it is. We’re comfortable that he’s done everything he was supposed to do.

As usual, a perfect response.  Notice how he mentioned that “some people are mad [Noel] reclassified.”  Could he be talking about Pete Thamel, noted Calipari hound and Syracuse fan?  Remember, Noel chose UK over the Orange when he made his decision.  Could there still be some hard feelings there that have led to sour grapes?  Of course not.  Pete Thamel is a professional.  That’s why when Sports Illustrated reported USA Today’s conversation, they used this headline:

See?  No hard fee… Wait, “hopeful?”  Last time I checked, there was a difference between “comfortable,” meaning “I’m not worried that he’ll be cleared, and I’m pretty confident he’ll be able to play,” and “hopeful,” meaning “Oh, boy, I’m not sure if he’ll be able to play but he’s so good that I wish he will.”  Cal never even said the word “hopeful” in his response, so there’s no telling why SI decided to use that word at all.

There are bigger things to worry about right now, like what to wear when you meet Drake at the Alumni game next week, but it’s subtle things like this that make you wish SI was better with their headlines.  Remember, they’re the ones who incorrectly said for days that Rod Strickland was arrested for a DUI over the summer.

Article written by Corey Nichols

13 Comments for USA Today Checks in With Cal, Noel

1. Pete Thamel's Sex Change Nurse
    9:08 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

Sports Illustrated is irrelavent in the modern world. The only thing they have to hold onto is soft core pics of Kate Upton.

2. GregJ
    9:21 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

I thought he was already cleared? What am I missing?

3. Smyrna_Cat
    9:26 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

There gets to be a point where we shouldn’t get in a tizzy over everthing. Who cares what SI writes.

4. Scott
    9:45 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

Georgetown not Syracuse was the team he picked UK over.

5. tyson
    9:54 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

Corey, I don’t see “hopeful” as much worse than “comfortable”. If Cal thinks he is going to play, he should have said, “NN will play for UK this year.” I know you guys need something to write about, but comfortable does not mean “pretty confident”. I would say that comfortable is much closer to hopeful than the words you chose.

Luckily I think we are a top 25 team even without NN if it comes to that. But I am hopeful it doesn’t.

6. Dear UL and IU fans, We are national champions; you are not. The end.
    9:57 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

Unfortunately, it is illegal to pay someone to beat the crap out of Thamel. If it was legal, I’d pick up a second job.

7. HicksPickSix
    10:43 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

3 – Who cares what Corey Nichols writes?!

8. UK Snuggie
    10:47 am September 7, 2012 Permalink

I agree that UK is one of the top most dislIked programs, but this business over the word “hopeful” is closer to paranoia. The sky isn’t falling, no matter what the writers at KSR may have you believe.

9. Memphis Cat
    12:29 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

He’s referring to his handlers being upset at his reclassification, not Thamel. Noel went where he wanted to go, not where some others wanted him to go. Reclassifying took away some people’s reach

10. Beavis
    12:35 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

I do not see how we can be “comfortable” Noel will play if the NCAA is involved. I am sure coach Cal was “comfortable” playing Derrick Rose after the NCAA had cleared him to play. We all know how that worked out. Now we have the NCAA clearing UNC when they are clearly guilty of playing an ineligible player in Peppers and academic fraud. Expect anything from those idiots.

11. I Say
    12:58 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

“How about no Scott.” When he picked there were 3 hats laying on that table: Cuse,Gtown, and Uk.

12. blah
    1:50 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

blah blah blah… Corey, you make me yawn.

13. 1001101010
    5:59 pm September 7, 2012 Permalink

He meant Louisville and Rick Pitino & Little Pitino.