Well, at first I was going to flex my writing muscles and work out a story on what’s happening down the road in Louisville, with Pitino making his best effort to show the world that Louisville basketball will remain as hot as it has been, but with news of upcoming in-homes and other visits, we’ll just get straight to it all.
– Kyrie Irving will be receiving an in-home visit from the UK staff on September 15th. This could be a big opportunity for UK to further their relationship with Irving and eventually get him onto campus for an official visit.
– News was released this week regarding Brandon Knight’s upcoming visit with Kentucky. Me being the college football fan that I am (honestly, I couldn’t name more than 3 offensive starters for UK’s team this year, if that), I didn’t notice that when I told you guys a week ago about Knight’s visit on the weekend of the 18th, that it would be the same weekend as the UK-UL game. Oops. So for those of you that made the connection on your own, I’m glad, and for those of you that didn’t, I’m sorry. After I post this, I will be heading to Kroger’s to by SI’s latest college football preview and beef up on my knowledge.
– Stacey Poole has also pushed his visit date back to the same weekend as Knight’s, making the UK-UL football game nearly as important for the basketball team as it is for the football team. He’ll be attending that game and then moving on the Indiana for a visit there. Poole also has an in-home visit set up with the UK staff on September 13th.
– Louisville will be hosting UK recruits Wayne Blackshear and Mike Shaw this weekend. It is the same weekend as the UL-Indiana State football game, Louisville’s opener (see, I’m starting to learn about the football scene). Last night, via text, Blackshear couldn’t rule out the possibility of himself and Shaw making a visit to Lexington as well, although it does seem unlikely with many UK fans traveling to Cincinnati for the UK game (another college football reference if you noticed) and Calipari following for a book signing in the city. Regardless, big weekend for UL as they try to further their relationship with some of Illinois’ finest, which already stands in a pretty good spot.
– Also, UL made a big move for another of UK’s recruits by hiring Shabaka Lands as the “special assistant to the coach.” Lands was, of course, an assistant coach at Marquis Teague’s high school. There are two potential views of this hiring. One is that UL will now almost surely land Teague and the other is that Pitino has gotten wind of UK’s lead in the race for Teague, making this hiring a last act of desperation. There were rumors earlier in the week that Teague did have a leader for his services, although the actual school wasn’t quite known and Teague isn’t willing to name a leader publicly.
– Scout.com reported earlier this week that UK recruit Roscoe Smith will be taking an official visit to Duke on September 6th. Zag’s blog talked to Smith’s father, Brian Thompson, who said that the following schools were recruiting his son and would be getting in-home visits: UConn, Duke, UCLA, Maryland, Georgetown, Florida and Kentucky.
– Also, I thought this link was a pretty good read and viewing of what the kids at the Boost Mobile Elite 24 did in order to get a taste of life in the NBA and the workouts those players go through.