Updated NBA Mock Draft

NBA: NBA Draft

Whereas previous seasons have seen multiple Kentucky players taken in the NBA Draft, this season isn’t exactly the same story we’ve grown accustomed to. This time around, only one Wildcat player has officially declared for professional basketball, while one waits to see if an injury heals (let’s be honest here, Nerlens is probably gone). The draft certainly won’t have the same shine in the Commonwealth this year, but that doesn’t stop the internet from producing countless NBA mock drafts.

One of the more notable prognosticating sites, NBADraft.net, recently released their latest mock draft with Nerlens Noel going 2nd overall to the Orlando Magic and Archie Goodwin going early in the second round (34th overall) to the Phoenix Suns. The first overall pick according to the site was Kansas freshman sensation, Ben McLemore. Marcus Smart, Otto Porter, and Anthony Bennett rounded out the top five.

If you wish to see the entire draft, it can be found here.

Article written by Jonathan Schuette

33 Comments for Updated NBA Mock Draft

1. Lburg drew
    2:40 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Seems odd that a team with one of the best young point guards in the league would draft two more point guards in the lottery (cleveland)

2. ArchieMessedUp
    3:07 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I am very afraid that Archie may end up holding the bag……He really should have reconsidered his decision to go pro. His final month dropped him from a possible lottery pick to not even being drafted……

3. BOSOX
    3:07 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Cleveland will not draft a guard if they get a top 3 pick… Fully expect them to get Noel if around or Anthony Bennett…. They can draft another guard with next year’s draft from Aaron Harrison to James Young!

4. NBA league pass
    3:10 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I agree with above. The Cavs will not draft a PG. Hopefully we get either 1 or 2 and can get Noel or McLemore. If not I’d take bennett.

5. BOSOX
    3:16 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I am a Cleveland Cavs fan…

PG- Kyrie Iring
    SG- Aaron Harrison
    SF- Lebron James (MAYBE)
    PF- Marreese Speights
    C- Nerlens Noel

6. putinrichie
    3:19 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Agree that Cleveland won’t draft a PG, but I don’t think these draft slots are put together based on team needs. This is more of the projected range a player will get drafted.

Once the draft lottery takes place and we no the order teams will draft, I am sure more thought will be put into team needs at that point.

7. putinrichie
    3:20 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

know

8. Ksu
    3:22 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I’m happy harrow & Goodwin are gone. I’m happy mays is gone. Poythress needs to transfer.

9. Rixter
    3:27 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Still no Russ Smith mention? Yeah, if I was a GM, I’d take Archie over the guy who averaged 28 points a game in the tournament.

10. Steady
    3:28 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Eff the NBA.

11. shelbyjoe
    3:43 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I’m wondering where Gorgui Dieng and Russ Smith would go if they wee to declare. Gorgui has become a defensive force and a reliable offensive player and Russ might be the best transition-scoring guard in the country. Both should come out this year … but I be RP does his best to con them into staying another year. What does he care if they have a “kevin-ware-like” injury which harms their future?

12. TheProfessor
    3:56 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

#9…I agree..i think it is absurd that any franchise would draft Archie over russ smith. I feel confident in saying that 3 or 4 years down the road, Smith will be in an NBA rotation somewhere. Not sure Archie will ever develop.

13. that guy
    3:57 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Even with the NBA’s 2 step rule, NBA folks know Russ takes 4 steps per layup or dunk. Not even MJ or Lebron get away with 4 steps. I’m afraid the only place Russ’ game translates to are the courts at Rucker Park.

14. Joe
    4:00 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

What about all of the foreign players? That will change all of this.

15. cracka
    4:04 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

archie is going 17th here (5 days old): http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

16. BBN Network
    4:07 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Are all of you Russ Smith lovers and Archie Goodwin haters actually uofl fans or misguided UK fans? Just because UK didn’t get as far as we’d hoped, and Archie has opted to bolt for the NBA (like most of our recent freshmen) doesn’t mean we have to slam the kid.

Know this, Russ Smith would not have been recruited to or allowed to play his ‘style’ at UK under rick pitino.

17. I say
    4:19 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

There is no need for 6’0 or 6’1 shooting guard like Russ Smith. Guys who can fill it up like that are a dime a dozen in the NBA, except those hooting guards are 6 inches taller. Russ smith will get a shot in the league but there is not a team that needs him

18. Tom Jurich
    4:36 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

We’re only going to lose one player and we’ve got a top 10 class coming in next year. Boo YA!

19. Catlanta
    4:42 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I’m hearing Russ Smith and Dieng will likely return now. The tards only lose 1 current rotational player, Siva. They bring in 2 five star and 2 four star players. They could be tough again next season. But we should be better.

20. GuardsWhoAreLittleNBA
    4:46 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Archie, I wish the best for you, but you’ve got a hard row to hoe. If you could hit 33.3% of your 3 pointers, that would help.

Russ S. – You’ve had a really good college run, I remember you lighting up AD, MKG, MT, etc last year in that December game last season. Take a look at some 6′ and under 1’s who had an NBA career and see how you stack up.

1-Tyrone “Muggsy” Bogues — 5’3
    2- Earl Boykins— 5’5”
    3-Anthony “Spud” Webb — 5’7″ – 42 inch vertical leap – scary, that’s 0.666% of his height. add that jump to AD’s length, incomprehensible.
    4-Nate Robinson — 5’9″
    5-Calvin Murphy — 5’9”

others I thought of were Bird Averitt from Hopkinsville, Otto Petty from Louisville, and of course my all time favorite little guard, Leroy Bird from Lexington.

Any readers have any short guys who made an impact in the NBA? I’m just trying to keep my mind off the last game this season. Help Me

21. Bobbum man
    4:51 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

18- top ten class? How about we’re only losing one player and we’ve got the best recruiting class in college basketball history… Sounds better no?

22. Bobbum man
    4:55 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

19- UL like usual is bringing in 0 5 star recruits they do hve a couple 4s Gil and the guy with the weird name but we will crush them next year

23. NANANNANANA
    5:01 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

jang or however you say dudes name, and smith and siva all gooooooone baby gooone

24. NANANNANANA
    5:02 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

siva will end up in europe somewhere.. dude is no NBA player and certainly no john wall you dumba$$es

25. RuppsRunts
    5:09 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

22) Chris Jones and Terry Rozier are 5 stars on a couple of sites.

26. GuardsWhoAreLittleNBA
    5:15 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

*Spud Webb could vertical 67% of his height. In other words, he could almost jump over himself standing still.

27. mudcreekmark
    5:27 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

21)If Smith and Deng do come back they lose one important player from a team that at the least made it to the NC game and add a top ten recruiting class. We lose one important player and add the best recruiting class in the history of college basketball to a team that was horrible. I don’t think it is a slam dunk that we win it all and go 40-0.

28. mashburnfan1
    5:36 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

I’m confused. All I kept hearing is if you want to be in NBA you have to play for Cal…I’ve said it many times Cal does NOT get players to NBA he simply recruits, normally, NBA players. Wall, Davis, MKG, Rose etc. would be right where they are even if they played at Ohio U, Western KY or Arkansas State.
    I really love Nerlens for the passion he plays with but he will never be a great NBA player. Too weak and no offense.

29. mudcreekmark
    6:41 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

Each game I watched during the NCAA tourney I saw players that I would have much rather had than Goodwin and Poythress but none of their names are ever heard when it comes to being a top NBA pick. I just don’t understand how the NBA can watch these players and still want to draft them ahead of players who are clearly better. I would rather have had the kid from Wichita State,Barker, that I would have Goodwin. Both are freshmen, but Barker was so cool, calm and collected. Played within himself. Made plays for others. However, we will never hear from him again and Goodwin will make millions? Someone explain.

30. mudcreekmark
    6:43 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

28)Cal got Harrelson, Liggins and Miller to the NBA when no other coach could have. Now he is going to get Goodwin in and if he had played for anyone else, he is not even mentioned as a top pick. So yes, there is a Cal Effect.

31. Smith Bay point
    6:49 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

#29 – You can’t handle the truth. Well, maybe you can, but most canNOT.

I think the naming of McDonald’s All Americans (5 star players) is a lot like the recruiting of college running backs…

32. E
    8:31 pm April 7, 2013 Permalink

29) it’s easy to explain.

1) Archie is better than Baker, he may turn the ball over more but he is better.
    2) Archie is a 6’5 athletic guard with solid skills that will improve. This equates to high potential.

33. Some Guy in Kentucky
    8:37 am April 8, 2013 Permalink

Did Archie have his $15 autograph signing this week? If so how many showed up?