Uncle Julius Wants His Teammates to Fight

Further adding to his reputation as the wizened old statesman on this Kentucky team, Jarvis Julius Mays had something to say in the post game press conference today:

If you are gonna use Nerlens as an excuse not to fight, then don’t come out and play with us. I am going to speak up and hold people accountable. And if they don’t want to be a part of it, then don’t.

As one of the two players who actually fought this afternoon according to Cal, it looks like it’s high time for Mays to step up and accept the leadership role that Noel’s void has offered. The best way to start? Trying to get through to the “uncoachable” players on the team and light a fire under their a*****. Listen to your elder, kids.

Article written by Kristen Geil

37 Comments for Uncle Julius Wants His Teammates to Fight

1. MemphisCat
    4:10 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

We have one player that plays for himself and his future NBA career (looks more like Overseas or D league), and another player who isn’t interested in playing basketball and has zero heart. If these guys don’t go pro, I don’t think Cal will re-new their scholarship for next year. Maybe Cal will help them find another college team to play for if they aren’t going to be drafted.

2. Buckets
    4:11 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

1 –

3. Jarrod T
    4:14 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Essentially, we’re throwing out there first year guys. Whether it be first year players, first year starters, or first year real minutes guys, we’re playing with first year players. That can work if you have a dominating player that initiates offense (most often a PG), talent, and a dedication to defense. We don’t have a dominating player or a dedication to defense. We do have talent. So, we need someone to initiate offense and a dedication to defense. We’re not sunk just yet, but having to comment about this in February is depressing.

To prove why all of life is about balance, God created bourbon for days like these.

4. Women Everywhere
    4:16 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

2/ and 3/ You are both very correct.

5. classof68
    4:17 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Nice try Orange Julius. It takes players to make a team. Not talk. After Nerlens was hurt, we have no players. Just a fact of life. We have to accept it and move on.

6. Catlanta
    4:17 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

These kids have 25 college games an hundreds of AAU games. They are just vags and some quit. Harrow I expect to take another leave of absence, Pussthress to get his old job back at Wendy’s and Willie to run to his Twitter to see what people say

7. Women Everywhere
    4:19 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Well, now it’s 1/ and 3/.
    Sorry, I’m a little out of it. I had to cannonball some PBR to get that freakin game out of my head.

8. Why?
    4:19 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

#6-You make some good points, but why rip these kids the way you do?

9. Mattcat68
    4:20 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Looks like this team has just earned their name, “the uncoachables”

10. James
    4:20 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

6. Don’t run down the place where you’ll be working someday.

11. Wes
    4:21 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

I’m glad someone is standing up, they all should be disappointed. No defense at all and yes there were bad calls but they are better than that. Hang in there guys we are still behind you. Play defense and the offense will follow.

12. Wildcatsteeler
    4:28 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Please. Mays is awful also. All of our guards are. They are soft and panic when tight D gets on them and immediately pick up the ball. Then usually throw a terrible pass just to get rid of it fast. Just like Mays did to Noel that led to him having to sprint back and tear his ACL.

13. SeaCat
    4:29 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Now is the time to shift our entire
    focus to next year.

14. alex
    4:31 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Some people on her are idiots and have probably never played a game of competitive basketball in their lives. The difference between high school\AAU ball is night and day. Defense does not exist in AAU ball and these kids just havent adjusted to the intensity that is needed to win in college. We lost pretty much all of our scoring and definitely all of our defense from last years team because neither Polson nor Wiltjer can play a lick of defense due to one being way too slow and the other lacking size and speed needed to play guard at this level. The freshmen are young and if they come back next year, we will see a huge difference in their games and all of you people who pretend you know what your talking about saying “they don’t care” will be right back on the bandwagon again.

15. Jarrod T
    4:42 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

I forgot to mention a couple of other things on my mind. We should not be changing PGs in mid-February, but here we are changing PGs. I love Polson’s effort, heart, FT efficiency, but there are physical limitations that led to too much penetration. His earlier solid minutes showed the same characteristics, but we had Nerlens there to compensate. Nerlens is no longer there to compensate. The fact that we’ve essentially changed PGs in mid-February is depressing. Archie, despite all we complain, has pride and heart. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t have gotten the T late in the game. That’s frustration and embarrassment manifested in a single act of short-sightedness. That is his problem: he is short-sighted and plays that way. I don’t worry about his heart or pride or toughness, I worry about his brightness because he plays dimly. Poythress, on the other hand, plays with some intelligence, but no heart, no pride, and almost no toughness. Whoever his coaches were in high school and AAU did him a grand disservice by coddling him which is why he plays the way he does, in my opinion. I love everything about Willie, but he’s simply not refined schematically or technically. That is by no means his fault. Willie will have a fine NBA career because he has passion and enjoys what he is doing. Timing just wasn’t in our favor….yet. As for Harrow, well, he’s soft. A non-basketball fan could spot that he’s soft and it permeates because of the position he plays or played. The bottom line is that this team needs to feed off of someone. Much like a large local company fuels and encourages specialization in a local economy, this team needs a dominant player who does not necessarily need to be the most talented. They simply need to dictate and let other players find their roles.

The truth is most of those flaws could have been corrected or marginalized schematically by now, and it looked like they were to an extent, but then we lost Nerlens. The good news is that a lot of the problems I see can be corrected, but we’re basically starting over now. So maybe the decent-to-good player Uncle Julius can dominate and everyone else can find their role. We’ll see.

Sorry for the manifesto, but Woodford is a hell of a drug.

16. AbbyNormal
    4:48 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

There should be a text limit on here.

17. Tt
    4:48 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

JarrodT, your a blow hard & completely wrong.

18. bigblueincincy
    4:50 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

I love my cats, it doesnt matter if we win by 30 or lose by 30. When a team is down you stick with them just like when we are up. Nothing worse than bandwagon fans. For everyone saying that 18 year old dont have heart, look in the mirror. Way to stand strong BBN!

19. Hello?
    4:54 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

#15 had a pretty good well-reasoned post. Explain why he is completely wrong, if you can.

20. disbelief
    4:55 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Its obvious that many of you guys are in your dorms watching movies while typing with 1 hand an another portion that is redneck drunk and getting ready to beat your wifes or girl friends these are 18 year kids give them break and you should get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Yes, a Text Limit
    4:56 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

#16-Yours is too long, by any standard…

22. Yes, Dudes!
    4:57 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

#’s 18 and 20-God Bless You!

23. Agree With You Uncle
    5:01 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

I agree with Uncle Julius. These kids need to have a little bit of fight in them. It’s hard to see them continue to let other teams push them around and rip the ball out of their hands. As fans, we always have next year. For Uncle J, well this is his year. Light a fire under their ass Uncle!

24. See ya next year
    5:02 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Envy our past, fear our future,disregard our
    present!

25. WillieSoSilly
    5:02 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Jarrod T in one argument you contend we should not change PG’s then go on to point out the main reason Harrow isn’t performing and why it hurts the team dynamic. But I’ll forgive ya b/c you’re drinking Woodford Reserve.

26. MemphisCat
    5:07 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

I can actually say I have seen Alex play high school ball and he took pride in leading his team last year. This year he looks completely lost, almost like Darius Miller did most of his career at UK.

#18 I have been to Iraq and Afghan a few times in my 21 years in the military and I can tell if a person has heart or not, I guess I really can’t tell if a person doesn’t have heart while they play a game of basketball, but I have 18 year olds that work for me that would give their life for their country and many of them do every month. I have been a BBN fan for a long time, and I will continue to be one, but I call them as I see them. GO CATS!!!

27. Jarrod T
    5:12 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

WillieSoSillySays, a fisherman always sees another fisherman from afar, eh? I was lamenting the fact that we’re at the point of changing PGs in February.

28. BBNFOLYFE
    5:20 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Die hard UK fan, but the team has lost all the will to win. Maybe they are trying to find their game after losing Noel. While I like all the players, I hear all this talk about WCS. WCS is not a good player. He has absolutely no post game, no handling skills and makes terrible plays. He will not have a good NBA career as of now, because no one would want him. If he does make it he will sit the bench. I support this team fully, win or lose, but we need to face the fact that we just aren’t that good this year.

29. STEVE!
    5:30 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

I used to think most of these guys would be back next year and we would have a lot of great practice competition and a deep bench. After today’s surrender, I’m not so sure. If they’re not drafted, they might all transfer. If they don’t want to compete with the Tennessees of the world, they probably won’t want to compete with the caliber of players we’re bringing in next year. End result – another entirely new team next year consisting of unproven Freshmen.

30. jmfatz47
    5:31 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Jarrodt…. u are very accuraye. Almost exactly how I see things. This team just does not possess a single player that has the “it” factor….doesn’t exist and it sure as hell does not develop overnight unfortunately

31. jch
    5:46 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

I only watched the first half but, apparently, that was enough; it certainly was for me.

Goodwin and Poythress are obviously adversely affecting this team but we have no better option on the bench, so get used to it.

My question, will these two kids be in Lexington next year?

My opinion, Cal should tell them they rest of the year they are playing for a scholly next year; period.

And any thoughts of either going pro is absolutely nuts. If not, the NBA GM who takes them is.

32. Bobby Knight's Shrink
    6:40 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

Bravissimo # 24…that is brilliant !

33. true blue 68
    6:42 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

how can julius call out anyone?I have watched all year and game after game no one looks like they care,sloppy,lazy,careless passes that all ways get picked and turned into points for the other team.and no defense whatsoever.its the whole team,theirs no pride,no one should take a beating like this,and just accept it.

34. whysoserious
    7:43 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

This is so unbelievably overrated…..

Now that the season is over, he is going to man up and hold people accountable. oohhh wow

Impressive! NOT

35. jch
    8:42 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

33 & 34 – I couldn’t agree more. Mays transferred in for his final year of eligibility and really hasn’t contributed much. Occasionally his shot is falling, outside of that he’s a step slow on defense and is showing why he “took his talents” to Wright State for most of his career. I’m sure Cal saw him as a role player off the bench and never thought he’d have to look to him to carry the team.

34, you touched on another issue that’s plagued us all year – HORRIBLE passing. I’ve been shocked all year at how bad its been; pass after pass is lazy, soft, misplaced, mistimed…etc. Even the lobs are bad with most ending in some kind of odd layup as opposed to a dunk.

This has surprised me more than anything about this team on the offensive end. I guess we’ve been spoiled with top notch point guards but, even watching other teams this year who don’t have to PGs, our passing is far below that of even mediocre teams.

Of course, if we continue to play the way we are now, we may be hoping to be thought of as a mediocre team…

36. maddogmitchell55
    11:36 pm February 16, 2013 Permalink

14. Alex, you are exactly right about fairweather fans getting right back on the bandwagon next year. We need to pull together for this team this year. If we rip them apart now then we can say farewell to anything remotely close to a chance for UK to make something of this season. How far can they go? Who knows. Who expected a Final Four at the start of February two years ago. That team caught fire and surprised us all. This team can make a heckuva run, too. They have good players. They have a good coach. They need good fans. We need to cheer for those guys to step up and do better. Whoever has not been playing as good as they can would surely they would want to after today. It’s safe to say Big Blue Nation absolutely wants them to. UK fans don’t want to see the Cats go to the NIT. I’d say the team definitely doesn’t want to. All of us – players, coaches and fans would almost rather wear a Louisville jacket inside of hallowed Rupp Arena than for UK to go to the NIT. Some of us would probably be glad to do it if it meant UK doesn’t go to the NIT. Breaking apart the team will destroy the rest of the season the way Tennessee destroyed the Cats today. Cheering for these guys to do better might be exactly what they need.

37. J K
    6:25 am February 18, 2013 Permalink

I get up, go to work and am grateful to be 40 years old and have my health and x a good job. There’s traffic, bills, taxes, blah blah blah. It’s not the Indiana Jones lifestyle but I don’t have anything real to complain about.
    What I appreciate about Kentucky Basketball is that no matter what I feel like a kid again when they have a game. That feeling doesn’t go away even if they are not the team they were last year. I love this team and can’t wait for the Vandy game. I’ll miss this season when it’s over no matter what.