wiggins-what

Keeping It Heel, a University of North Carolina fan site you’ve never heard of, ran a brilliant piece of literature on Andrew Wiggins yesterday. I mean, it was incredible. Like, Pulitzer-worthy. It was so good, I printed out copies on Kodak Premium Plus high-gloss photo paper and mailed them to friends all over the country. It was totally worth the price of postage. That’s how spectacular the article was.

But when I woke up this morning and went to read it again, and print more copies to hand out to strangers in public, it was nowhere to be found. Gone, like a thief in the night.

This is what I found in its place:

keeping-it-heel

But I don’t want some awesome video! I want the Andrew Wiggins article!

Did Keeping It Heel purposely delete the perfectly constructed collection of words that captured my basketball-loving heart and soul with its ingenious insight and wisdom? Or did the flood of web traffic cause Keeping It Heel’s servers to crash, sweeping it away from the interwebs forever?

The cause of its tragic disappearance is unknown, but not permanent, thankfully. Not in this day in age. And since I’m such a big fan and admirer of the piece and the Keeping It Heel website, I used some old internet wizardry to dig it up from its online grave.

So, here it is, back from the dead: “Why Andrew Wiggins Not Coming To UNC Is A Good Thing”

Here are a few of my favorite excerpts:

— “He’s an attention seeker. He’s a drama-king. Andrew Wiggins is a one-and-done type of athlete. Hey, actions speak louder than words and all signs point to a look-at-me type of personality.” — Keeping It Heel

— “Apologies ahead of time, but the way he has Prima Donna’d around these last couple weeks has gotten to be excessively excessive. He’s listened to countless courters traveling to see him. The way he’s given just enough interest to coaches to keep them coming back for more is nothing more than a game.” — Keeping It Heel

— “The question we should be asking ourselves is this: is he the right player? No. I don’t think James Michael McAdoo or P.J. Hairston would disagree with me either. Especially after the sacrifices they both made.” — Keeping It Heel

You don’t have to thank me for recovering it, Keeping It Heel. Just consider it a small favor from a big fan.

Article written by Drew Franklin

34 Comments for UNC blogger writes worst college basketball article ever; deletes worst college basketball article ever

1. ktmiln2
    10:17 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

BTI never even sucked this bad.

2. Chicago
    10:20 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

Read this article yesterday… fantastic.

3. Bryan in Houston
    10:29 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

Sounds like a foreshadow to the butt hurt they’ll experience in not getting him. I guess they are keeping it heel.

4. Ryne
    10:31 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

I read this article yesterday. It looks like the UNC media is leading the fans a direction favorable to the us. I have also seen a lot of fans feeling the same way for UNC. I still think he is a lock for the CATS! GO BIG BLUE

5. #BBNINCHICAGO
    10:32 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

Great find Drew…….. Lets get this on air asap!

6. RahRah
    10:32 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

Marry me, Drew Franklin! You rock. Been looking for this article.

7. Goose
    10:34 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

Hilarious!! Just read the comments their fans left!

8. excessively excessive
    10:34 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

writing article is very dumbly dumb. Especially since AW has been so mysteriously mysterious about his recruitment, why pushily push him away from UNC? You’d almost think it was written by a rival fan to trickily trick Wiggins from considering UNC.

But at least the writing itself was so greatly great. A real pleasing pleasure of an article.

9. BA
    10:36 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

This almost seems like something a UL fan would right to talk about how its is ok that Siva left and that they be be a “contender” next year.

10. HicksPickSix
    10:38 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t know Corey Nichols also wrote for UNC blogs!

11. Chester
    10:39 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

Does that mean Drew can dig up those nekkid pictures of me and my wife that I snapchatted?

12. jrhop
    10:42 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

#10 haahahahahaa

13. barn
    10:43 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

i read that yesterday. i don’t really understand why aw is making such a deal of where he’s going to go. he’s only going to be there for a year no matter where he goes. it’s a big deal to us fans but it seems like he’s just playing a little game. i don’t believe the things i’ve read saying he doesn’t like attention. having said that, i hope we land him.

14. Bobd
    10:44 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

This article is awesome. Anyone See the auburn player get ejected from their spring game?

15. bluristhurr
    10:45 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

One of the best quotes of all time is from the movie, Miracle. I know what you’re saying, “um, what does hockey have to do with UNC basketball?” Well it explains why the Tar Heels are better without Andrew Wiggins. USA Hockey’s Coach Brooks shows his assistant coach the final roster. The assistant looks in confusion and demands to know why Coach Brooks cut some of the best players on the ice. Coach Brook replies, “I’m not looking for the best players. I’m looking for the right players.” Enter: The Andrew Wiggins Argument
    James Michael McAdoo skipped his second straight opportunity to be a millionaire. PJ Hairston chose to stay in Chapel Hill as well. Both of these guys would be in NBA uniforms next season if they chose to enter the draft. They made a major sacrifice and stayed behind to chase a championship. Even after UNC made the best of an incredibly deflated season that saw four first-rounders leave Chapel Hill the previous season, there was yet another loss to Kansas in the Madness of March. Still JMM and Hairston stayed to be the foundation of UNC.
    Does anybody in their right mind think Andrew Wiggins would do the same? Apologies ahead of time, but the way he has Prima Donna’d around these last couple weeks has gotten to be excessively excessive. He’s listened to countless courters traveling to see him. The way he’s given just enough interest to coaches to keep them coming back for more is nothing more than a game. He’s by far the only big-time recruit left still undecided. When you’re a number two and you still haven’t announced, while the number one publicly announced weeks ago, you’re an attention seeker.
    Is he a great player? Yes. That’s not the question. The question we should be asking ourselves is this: is he the right player? No. I don’t think James Michael McAdoo or P.J. Hairston would disagree with me either. Especially after the sacrifices they both made.

16. Thenotes
    10:46 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

Hahaha. You all should read the comments to that article. The writer is arguing back and forth with everyone. It’s hilarious.

17. bluristhurr
    10:52 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

There’s the article, and yes #19 virtually everyone is opposed to it.

18. Teachable Mo'
    10:54 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

Every year recruiting obsessiveness makes me sadder for the human race.

19. BA
    10:54 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

I read this article yesterday when it was published…good stuff. Sounded to me like a sore loosing tantrum from a kid who didn’t think he was gonna get his way…and said those things to justify the outcome.

I love it.

20. Even I could do better
    11:02 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

Thanks, Drew. The UNC article is most ridiculously ridiculous and stupidly stupid. Thanks for revealing where you received your writing degree. Anyone paying attention, stay the hell away from UNC if you’re looking for a degree in journalism. Ugh.

21. Charles Barkley
    11:13 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

That’s TAR-ible. (See what I did there?)

22. Big Blue
    11:16 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

Please, someone please put this on twitter so wiggins possibly sees this.

23. Biglaw Dawgin'
    11:17 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

Wow. I guess UNC doesn’t think it has a chance to land Wiggins. Cut the list to 3?

24. The Water Boy
    11:23 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

27 no worries I tweeted it with a convenient Wigging user name mention.

25. Go To Your Room
    11:45 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

First, who has Wiggins ranked #2? Second, if I didn’t know any better I’d think that Ol’ Roy himself wrote this after Wiggins told him he wasn’t going to UNC. Isn’t that usually the way he backtracks after missing out on recruits?

26. Tom Blevins
    11:47 am April 25, 2013 Permalink

It’s easy for a fan to get frusterated late in the recruiting process when he wants a player to pick his school. So he says, “He’s not coming here. So what! He wouldn’t fit in anyway.” I think that, as Kentucky fans, we can look at what a North Carolina fan does with a measure of objectivity and say, “He’s really hurt the Tarheel program.” Well maybe he has, and if we wind up getting Wiggins we owe him our thanks. What we really need to learn from this, though, is to never, EVER say anything like that about anyone Kentucky is recruiting. Especially don’t say it in print. Let’s let the Louisville Cardnals be our worst enemy. That’s a lot better than being our own worst enemy.

27. Buckets
    12:16 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Yes, I am suffering from Andrew Wiggins fatigue, too. But, no, I would never, ever ever ever ever ever, think to write an article so unbelievably stupid. And then write comment after comment defending the dumbest “opinion piece” ever written about a recruit. I mean come on! This guy said probably the dumbest thing of his life, and then went on and on and on and on defending it. Just admit you’re an idiot for what you wrote and move on.

28. Pen Pal
    12:50 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

When Keeping it Heel Goes Wrong. . .

29. Charles B
    1:04 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Lol 29. Chapelle comedy at it’s finest

30. Coach K
    3:15 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

We don’t want you either Andrew.

31. ukcatsalum12
    3:20 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

Well, honestly, they are right, he IS a one and done player, and he DOES love the attention, but that being said, If someone has to have him for a year…might as well be UK!

32. I wrote it...
    8:53 pm April 25, 2013 Permalink

The guy just posted a follow up article to the original article. Notice at the end he mentions UK.

33. BAdams
    4:23 am April 26, 2013 Permalink

Choosing a college is a big decision, but when trying to decide between a family tradition and what is best for you and your college basketball career is an even tougher decision. If this kid liked the attention he would be leaking out hints left and right, playing around like CJ Leslie, Quincy Miller, and Rodney Purvis did. If that were the case, it wouldnt matter if he is the #1 player, Cal wouldnt recruit him. Exact reason he didnt recruit Tony Wroten, Chris Walker, Lance Stephenson, Josh Selby…he doesnt deal with head cases. Its Andrews decision and he can take all the time he wants to make sure he is making the right decision. It cant be easy when people are always in your ear.