Ummmm… Over the back?

Tennessee beat Georgia 59-57 last night in Athens on a put-back buzzer beater by Brian Williams.  But Tennessee fans shouldn’t thank their 6-foot-10 senior who likes to ride around with guns, weed, and Tyler Smith; Tennessee fans should thank the officials for one of the biggest no-calls I’ve ever seen.  How is that not a foul????

Maybe I’m wrong.  Maybe I’m being biased because I hate Tennessee.  If that’s Josh Harrellson grabbing a rebound over Wayne Chism and putting it back in at the buzzer, I’m dancing in the streets.  But this game is in Athens, Georgia’s Chris Barnes had established position, and Brian Williams was all over him for the rebound.

What do you think?  Did Georgia get hosed? Bulldogs head coach Mark Fox paused for 30 seconds after he was asked that question and said, “I’ll have to see the tape.”

I think its obvious… They low down. They dirty. They go over the back for rebounds.

Article written by Drew Franklin

95 Comments for Ummmm… Over the back?

1. Lower Arena Old Man Sleeping
    12:05 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Where were these refs at during our game?

2. UKFanInCiny
    12:05 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I hate days after a loss. I really dont even want to talk to anyone.

3. Michael Ruscher
    12:05 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

That was one of the biggest over the back no-calls I have ever witnessed. Williams had part ball and part arm of the UGA player. I realize most officials tend to swallow their whistles at the end of a game, but that call MUST be made.

4. What?
    12:05 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Williams was clearly fouled on that play too and the didn’t call that either! *eyes rolling*

5. UKFanInCiny
    12:06 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

1 They were there. They were for Alabama though.

6. sbathegolfer
    12:06 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Had that been Jorts it WOULD have been called a fout…. A horrible call in my opinion… and Yes I do hate Tennessee with a passion…

7. sbathegolfer
    12:06 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Had that been Jorts it WOULD have been called a foul…. A horrible call in my opinion… and Yes I do hate Tennessee with a passion…

8. john4uk
    12:06 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

The refs were paying back Georgia for the gifts they gave them in the UK game.Georgia did’nt get 34 free throw attempts last night,and they did’nt get to play their favorite game,”thug Ball”.

9. catlanta91
    12:07 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I agree — what a rip. Selfishly it helps that UGA lost at home, even though they were flat out hosed and UT was the beneficiary.

10. dhighdrated
    12:07 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Brian Williams even looked surprised it wasn’t called. he waited to celebrate

11. Epps2Shep
    12:09 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I had UGA -4! needed that OT period to get the win. brian williams is fat. no punch line. he just is.

12. Bluecalizone
    12:09 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

AT LEAST HE WAS GOING AFTER THE FRIGGIN BALL…..

13. jon
    12:10 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

thanks drew. I tried to call the show several times this morning just to bring this up. the sad thing is, it’s the top play on sports center. what a freaking joke.

14. dhighdrated
    12:10 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Matt, I can outcurse Coach K. Don’t ever say he’s the best at anything ever again.

15. rodger3626
    12:13 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Hosed.

16. UKpharmer2
    12:14 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Yes it was a foul. GA also got hosed b/c earlier Hopson (I think) hit a shot right before the shot clock expired….but when they showed the replay he CLEARLY still had the ball in his hand, so the cons got 2 more pts they didn’t deserve

17. jon
    12:14 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

p.s. we lost last night because we got bullied off the boards and we had good free throw shooters miss alot of free throws.

18. HackRichards
    12:14 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Hosed Hell they was Pipelined!

19. Alan Cutler's Fart
    12:16 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

This explains what the ref’s were doing in Brian Williams car before the game. I thought the windows were steamed up, looks like they were actually smoked up. I tried to investigate, but the gunshots scared me off. Can’t wait to play Tennessee. Hopefully by then the young Cats will have “thug ball” down. Don’t worry about fouls, just shove, punch, and hit the other guys. (Obviously the two or three flagrant fouls that refs missed last night mean they are calling SEC games as though they were Big East games). Time to forget playing good and play like thugs.

20. kyeric
    12:17 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Everyone knows the refs are not going to blow whistle at the end of a close game to try to decide it. Kudos for Tennessee and Williams for going over the back, fouling, slapping, clawing and doing everything possible to have a chance at a freak play to win the game. Is it fair? Hell no, but that’s the kind of play that gives you a “W”.

21. Two Jewish guys...One cross
    12:17 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Oye!

22. bung
    12:18 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

who cares

23. bosshogg24
    12:18 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Calipari needs to ease up or lay off Terrance Jones before he destroyes him.

24. 7 and Counting!!!
    12:20 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I agree that last night could have went in a better direction than it did. Green got away with like 3 fouls in the middle of the court that were very obvious resulting in 2 baskets for him. Jones lacked energy beginning in shoot arounds looking really uninterested. The Cats tipped in a basket at the start of the game resulting in the two points we got beat by. A bounce differently here and there would have a different winner last night.

25. Bob
    12:20 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know. Looks like he reached over the GA player and grabbed the ball. I don’t see a lot of contact there. If anything, the GA player was grabbing onto the UT player’s arm and that’s why he fell too.

I don’t like UT, but slow mo doesn’t show a lot of contact at the time of the rebound.

26. AD
    12:21 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Backlash from the bad calls we got in georgia. They stole one we shoulda won. They had one stolen they shoulda won. It is the way of the world. Means we got a couple coming our way, if we can just wait till the final four and championship for our payback.

27. Al's Cats
    12:22 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Well that sucks. Our inside guys best start getting a little tougher in the paint. Did you all see the one Bama kid throw a body block into Jones after a missed shot in the second half? They called it but man, you hafta wonder how much they can take it when they do start shoving back.

28. 2..better make it 3
    12:23 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

is there not a 3 second violation in college bball anymore? He was in the lane with 7 seconds left until the end.

29. bung
    12:24 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

So he called him a Falcon….Jones needs to get mean down low and start passing. When the Lakers were in a swoon this year some decided they shot too many 3’s and dropped from 19 fast break point per game down to 4 during that time because they were too lazy to run. Oh wait…we had 4 last night.

30. Bruce Pearl
    12:24 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

This is easy to explain. I had the ref over for Boca Burgers at my place! But don’t tellin no body, or else you’ll get in trooouble!!

31. dgtuk
    12:24 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Bluecalizone…….exactly. Would like to see that level of aggressiveness with UK. When teams get physicial with us, we tend to get timid and hope for a foul call.

32. kentuckyjoe
    12:25 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

just because a guy is behind someone doesn’t mean it’s over the back. This wasn’t a foul. He had his hands up, leaning away from the guy and had a hold of the ball. The right to the ball does not go to the guy in front. This was a great call and if the league reviews it they will give a lot of props to the ref who kept quiet.

33. bung
    12:26 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

31) yep….we play scared….but not Miller last night.

34. jlragweed
    12:27 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

If you slow down the footage and watch closely, the handle of the pistol that he has tucked in his shorts snags the jersey of the Georgia defender, and he still managed to get the shot off. amazing

35. JEREMY
    12:28 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Wow!!! And it looked like he didn’t get it off in time to me??
    Lookd like it was still in his hands when the clock hit zero!
    And all the talking heads at ESPN act like Bruce Pearl is being done wrong, like what he did wasn’t bad and we all are making it out to be more than it is! Just amazing how some coaches they would crucify and others it dont matter what they do! AMAZING

36. Lando CALrisian
    12:28 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

That game should have never been tied to begin with. The refs missed a previous call that gave UT a bucket when the shot clock had already expired and the ball was still in the shooter’s hand. How lame…….. I actually felt sorry for UGA…a little bit….

37. Where Do We Go From Here?
    12:30 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

INSTEAD OF DISCUSSING OTHER GAMES, WHY DON’T WE EVALUATE WHAT CAL IS DOING WITH THESE PLAYERS. WE ARE NOT GETTING ANY BETTER. IN FACT WE ARE GETTING WORSE. WE HAVE NO ONE TO STEP UP AND PLAY LIKE A MAN. PLEASE DON’T GIVE ME THIS BS ABOUT BEING YOUNG, FOR ALL OF YOU WHO WORSHIP CAL’S FEET, WE WILL ALWAYS BE YOUNG WHEN WE RECRUIT KIDS WHO CARE MORE ABOUT THEIR NBA DRAFT STOCK THAN WINNING.

38. JEREMY
    12:32 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Hey #32, why dont you check the shot clock while your at it!! Ball was still in his hands!

39. bung
    12:32 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I dont watch other games. The only reason to have those other teams is to see who plays UK in the Championship. Hood didnt look scared at all on the bench.

40. Goode
    12:33 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

37 – We just beat 2 teams by an average of 30+ points. Bad game, on the road. It happens!

41. JEREMY
    12:33 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Hey #37 the sky is not falling! Yeah we got to correct some stuff, but we will be fine! I hope

42. bung
    12:33 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

37) yep

43. Lando CALrisian
    12:34 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

35-
    That would be a perfect that’s what she said joke, but I’m not going to……
    He got the shot off in time, but he mugged the guy to do it.

44. Catlanta
    12:36 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

its funny how things work out. If UK makes one more shot down the stretch and they win by 1, the theme today would be how this team never gives up no matter how hostile the environment and how hot the other team is and they know what it takes to win on the road. Instead, they lose by 2 and the theme is that they are too young to win on the road.

45. bung
    12:37 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I kinda think when you get down to an Alabama by 20 there are lotsa probs even if you win.

46. Justme
    12:38 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I hate it when announcers say “over the back” as if that is an automatic foul. There is no such thing. That said, it did look to me like a foul was committed, but it was not nearly as obvious as many people are saying. I think the call could have gone either way, and while I never want to see UT win, I think as a general rule the whistle should not be blown in such situations (very close call, end of game situation).

47. dhighdrated
    12:39 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

38 – i paused the video with .1 left and the ball is very much out of his hands.

48. gocats
    12:41 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Should have called a jump ball…

49. Non-Biased UK Fan
    12:41 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

It WAS NOT a foul on Williams. He reached over the player, without touching him, got the ball and some how threw it up. Suck it up people.

50. Cristoforouk
    12:41 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

If you don’t think it was a foul, that’s fine. But as another fine observer noted, he was in the lane for at least 7 seconds. I don’t care if it’s the end of the game. The 3 second rule still applies and that is a rule that is about as clear cut as it gets. Should have been a 3 second violation, and the shot should have never even happened.

51. Logan
    12:46 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

37. Chill out bro. We are just average this year, deal with it.

52. Biglaw Dawgin
    12:48 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I agree with most: good no-call. Williams height advantage made it look worse than it was. And as a general rule, refs don’t like to decide games with a foul call in questionable situations. Not as obvious as our author is leading on.

50- The 3 second count restarts once the shot goes up.

53. BlueFins
    12:53 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Lotta bad calls and no calls last night in the SEC

54. Jason
    12:53 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

When your starting C nets the other team two points and you’re waste of space backup center is the reason they scored six points, you’re not going to win close SEC games on the road.

55. huge ky fan
    12:54 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

ight well im tired of the vargas comments. we all know that he sucks. I see he has potential in him to get more pt cuz he can score and get rebounds, but he aint doing it yet. he might need a motivator to get him going. it make no sense to be a top 50 commit and your junior year in college u look like u r 2 star freshmen that just came in.

56. Roggensak
    12:56 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

6 second lane violation!!!

57. NBA league pass
    12:56 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Personally, I think UGA got more screwed by the shot clock no call, than by the “over the back” no call. Had they called that, UGA would have been shooting FT’s…basically the refs giving it to UGA. I think at the end of the game, it needs to be a “no doubter” to be called, and this one was not.

58. tdogg4033011
    12:57 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

23)

59. Al's Cats
    12:57 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

44 as I said in another post I thought to come back from 20 points down was damn near a superman like effort. I hate it when we lose, but in every game there’s a winner and there’s a loser. We just came up short last night.
    37) Chill a bit ok? Contrary to what you say is that “we’re young BS” Guess what? We are young, last year we had Patrick, with both Miller and Liggins with a year under their belts. Other than what was on the stat sheets Patrick did what someone else needs to do, and that’s calm these “younger” guys down. But when you have a guy who believes in his own press clippings, and thinks he “IS” the team, then you have to re-evaluate what you have, and if anything Cal will figure this out. We’re not going to go undefeated

60. Don
    12:58 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

We lose by 2 and miss almost half of our free throws and some of you DD queers come out in droves. It’s hilarious. It is the very same ignorant rants that I hear on morning radio when Cletus calls in and runs his c-sucker about Cal etc. It’s the very same ammo that makes Card fans smile, because despite being a really good team, UK fans will eat their own in a NY minute.

Some of you make me sick. Literally.

61. Soap MacTavish
    12:59 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Pause at 45 seconds. Textbook over-the-back. If you don’t think he’s touching the dude to get that board, you’re on some good stuff.

62. tdogg4033011
    12:59 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

23) I’m glad you know more than Calipari does ….. sure will make things so much easier from here on out, just ask bosshog

63. 2..better make it 3
    1:02 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

52) it doesnt matter if it restarts a 3 second count. He was in the lane for a long time before the shot!

64. fatcat
    1:10 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

My current opinion is that this cats team overacheived in the first part of the year, and the schedule was softer than expected. The teams we see now have had time to gel, and all SEC teams have athletes, maybe not talented athletes, but raw athletic ability…Our team unity seems to be a bit cloudy at the moment… and players are starting to second guess themselves instead of just playing, partly due to the fear of benching and asschewing,and being publicly called out by Cal at every media function…Sometimes it is the teachers fault when Johnny can’t read… Same with Cal… he has taken several recruiting trips right before games limiting his time, and he has been unable to inspire his kids to play above there current level…We are a good team, but not a great team… In Cals mind I believe he thinks we are similar to Last years National Champion in that we are a good outside shooting team, have a one deminsional center, and a small rotation…

65. Brian T
    1:12 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

What about that no call on the shot clock violation? Pitiful, terrible night last night in my world of sports.

66. macon_volfan
    1:14 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

#35-you’ve not watched ANY thing UT on ESPN if you think the talking heads are going easy on him. EVERY person on ESPN says he should be fired. That’s not going easy on him. Bilas says Slive should have stayed out of it, and he should have. But Bilas also thinks he should be fired.

67. macon_volfan
    1:19 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

#65-it wasn’t a violation on Bone, actually. ESPN showed the same angle over and over (from the opposite baseline), but the ONE TIME they showed the sideline view, the ball was out of his hand before the shot clock was at zero. They showed that sideline replay after it happened, then the baseline one, over and over. Jay Williams and Rob Stone then went on and on about how it wasn’t shot it time, disregarding the replay that showed it was shot in time.

The refs also missed at least 2 out of bounds calls on UGA–one that was clearly out on UGA.

68. bigal
    1:22 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Have they changed rules to where you can run the baseline after a charge? Bamadid with 30 some seconds to go after the charge call on us. Anyone have that to share on here?

69. sunnycat
    1:24 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Last nights loss is on the Cats. They came out with little to no energy and didn’t start hustling until the last 10 minutes.

70. Al's Cats
    1:32 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

69 I agree, we came out like a ball of fire for the first 4 minutes then started coasting……It was all on us! But I commend them for comming back like they did. It was just too deep of a hole

71. BlueinMemphis
    1:38 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

You cannot run the baseline after a “charge”. Only after a made basket or free throw.

The officials did call a violation on Bama once for moving from the designated spot on a throw-in, but I don’t recall what call preceded it to give them the throw-in.

72. Jay
    1:44 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

The commentators are the ones that get on my nerves. Shut the hell up. Everyone of them is trying to get that zinger that will be posted on ESPN later that night.

73. Laker Cat 18
    1:46 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

The Georgia player never attempted to box out. That’s what the refs tell our 7th graders we coach on an over the back no-call.

74. pvtpilot
    1:54 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

This was a no-call for one reason… it was apparent the GA player wasn’t even going up for ball. Not only did his feet not leave the floor, his hands weren’t even above his head. His plan to just stand there and let the ball just magically come down to him didn’t quite work out now did it?. I would agree, at least Williams was actually trying to get the rebound.

75. pvtpilot
    1:56 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I love how this site operates… let’s just point out how the Vols shouldn’t have won to make us feel better about the Cats’ loss. You gotta be kidding me.

76. Cristoforouk
    2:08 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

52 – Yes the 3 second count restarts, but he is still in the lane for a good 6-7 seconds before the shot ever goes up! It was an easy call to make and the refs blew it. It shouldn’t have even come down to the disputed rebound. 3 second violations seem to be called when the refs get bored, otherwise they ignore it.

77. jo ann
    2:10 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I’ve said before and I’ll say it again. College bb refs are the absolute worst. Is it lack of consistency, plain incompetence, or do they really have a big wad of cash riding on these games? Sure makes me wonder.

78. downtown_1523
    2:26 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

those refs suck just as marion county high schools refs do i hope they got paid good!

79. downtown_1523
    2:28 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

(Fred Rogers) 🙂

80. Thebeast
    2:29 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

@ downtown your stupid that makes no sense….. lol but they did suck

81. downtown_1523
    2:33 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

it makes perfect sense last night we were cheated by the refs at marion just had to have been there. We lost 🙁

82. Joe
    2:45 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

That was definitely a great and courageous NO CALL.

He didn’t jump on the back of the Georgia player, he didn’t lean over, he simple beat the GA player to the ball.

If the GA player had simply jumped or reached for the ball, he would have gotten the rebound. The problem is the GA player thought it was going to draw rim, but Williams correctly guessed it was an air ball.

Great play by Williams, and just bad luck for the GA player guessing wrong. You can’t fault him. It it hits the rim, then they’re both jumping and the defensive player has the position.

Damn guys, don’t let your bias make you call white black, and black white. I hate TN too, but use your damn eyes.

The ref was right there. He made the right call.

83. Joe
    2:49 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I did see that Williams was gaining a HUGE unfair advantage for camping out in the lane. That should have been the call – THREE SECONDS. Otherwise, he’s probably out of position, as he should have been.

But assuming he stepped out, then back in, that was just a good, heads up play by Williams. No over the back. Maybe close, but no a foul.

84. sangaman
    4:51 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Georgia definitely got hosed. If that weren’t an over the back violation, it would have been a shooting foul on Barnes. However, it definitely was an over the back violation.

85. carolinacat
    4:52 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Of course it was a foul…patently obvious. Check out how long he was in the lane as well…from .07 until .01 when he got off the shot. SEC officials are struggling.

86. Ross
    5:52 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Count the seconds that Williams was in the lane.

87. ukaltheway
    6:02 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Georgia got HOSED!!! And let’s not forget the shot that TN was given credit for that clearly came after the shot clock had expired!

88. jugg
    7:38 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

there is a difference in over the back, and on the back! just because a player goes over the back of another player doesnt mean its a foul! i cant stand ut, and hope they lose every game! i think it was a great “no call”!

89. Bluegoose41
    8:40 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

There was not a foul on Williams. He has every right to go after the ball just like the GA player. Williams went up and took the ball away.

Before you start yelling 3 seconds, know the rule!!!!

90. BigBlueFan
    9:24 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

The Ghost of Vanardo smiled down upon Williams

91. unboltedharp
    10:36 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

After going over the back he pulled the Georgia player to the floor. He must have learned that move from an mugger……

92. 1 flip flop
    11:00 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I agree, I think Williams was fouled on the put back. Should have been an “And One” to cover the spread. But for once, Ted Valentine was out front and didn’t have the call!!!!!

93. ka4uk
    7:57 am January 20, 2011 Permalink

The ref had to go to the emergency room after the game to get the whistle removed from his stomach. What a hoorible no call

94. kittylitter
    10:36 am January 20, 2011 Permalink

This is just one more example of the fact that the officiating in the SEC, and in the entire NCAA to be honest, is just plain bad. Not biased against UK or anything as some here like to claim, just plain incompetent. I guess since the SEC’s bread and butter is football, they don’t feel the need to get the top of their class officials for the hoops side.

95. John
    3:06 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Great no call by the officials !!!!!!….There was absolutely no contact, just the Tenn. player being able to reach over the Georgia player & throw it back up…The crying by Georgia fans is obviously just sour grapes…The only real crime here was the inability of the Georgia player to properly box out & jump high enough so that the Tenn. player would not be able to get his hands on the ball……