UK will host the Keightley Classic

keightley

One of the surprises from Kentucky’s non-conference schedule is the introduction of the Keightley Classic, a new four-game tournament to be held in honor of “Mr. Wildcat.”

The Keightley Classic with kick off in Rupp Arena on November 17 with a rematch versus Robert Morris, the team that ended Kentucky’s 2012-13 season. The rest of the tournament includes home games against Texas-Arlington (Nov. 19), Cleveland State (Nov. 25) and Eastern Michigan (Nov. 27). Eastern Michigan will co-host the tourney.

Though the tournament field is nothing out of the ordinary for a mid-November stretch of home games, it’s an incredibly nice gesture to honor the man who served as equipment manager for 48 years. Let’s hope the tribute becomes an early season tradition for years and years to come.

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for UK will host the Keightley Classic

1. Season Never Ends
    4:39 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Bill Keightley Report: What a great tribute

2. SEASON TICKET HOLDER...
    4:41 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

This home schedule SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! HOW CAN I GET MY MONEY BACK?????? WHAT A F’N RIPOFF!!!!

3. Bobbum man
    4:43 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Great idea… Love startin it off with the Robert Morris’s rematch… They need to sport the all black keightley jerseys throughout the tourney

4. NEWMAN
    4:54 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Could you imagine if we somehow lost again to Bobby Mo? Won’t happen, but. Oh god. Why did I even think this. Why is my brain doing this to me.

5. Huh?
    4:55 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

How can it be a tournament if all the opponents are already known? What am I missing here? Is it a round robin type deal?

6. LJX
    4:57 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Love the black jersey idea. A great honor to a great man.

7. Huh?
    4:58 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Also, I’m pretty sure that’s five teams. I’m sure I’ll feel stupid when I figure this out.

8. drewsster02
    5:02 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

It sounds like the old UKIT. For those old enough to remember that.

9. Ridge Runner
    5:03 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

A nice gesture, indeed.

8–I was thinking the same thing.

10. Bob
    5:05 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

How did I never notice that Ramel Bradley looks like a more cracked out Eddie Murphy?!

11. DaBiz
    5:22 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Awesome! I can’t love this Calipari Administration any more. It’s to the point where, if he issued drone strikes, I’d assume it was for good reason…

12. Mr. Art Vandelay
    5:23 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

I am so glad to see that the university is honoring “Mr. Wildcat”. He was a man that all fans respected, and even rival fans admired. A man with the utmost class and character and someone who will never be forgotten. It is my humble opinion that the university should continue to do this tournament in honor to the man that will forever be remembered for his hard work, love of the game, and all things Kentucky.

13. Kiddekat
    5:25 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Sorry 8 and 9 but it is nothing like the UKIT. Did you know that the UKIT was once the richest tournament in college basketball? You may also like to know that the winners of the NCAA and NIT had automatic invites in the beginning. It later evolved into a more open invitational, but the opponents were always worth the price of admission. It was a 4-game, 2-day tourney on Friday and Saturday (two games on Friday with the losers playing for 3rd place on Saturday and the winners playing for the championship in the final game) and ALWAYS included at least 2, if not 3, notable opponents: West Virginia when they had Jerry West for example. How I wish that GREAT tournament could be revived.

14. Good Stuff!
    5:40 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for the history #13. I remember the UKIT a little, but I didn’t know it was that prestigious. Appreciate your post!

15. let the expletives fly
    6:08 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

13 – depends on how you define ‘notable.’ Schools people had heard of? Yes. Good teams? Not often, especially the last 5 or 10 years.

16. Smiley Pete
    6:43 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

10 – How did you never notice that? That’s one of the reasons I loved Bradley so much.
    7- It’s four games meaning we play four opponents I think, not sure how that breaks down into a bracket.

17. Old fart
    7:18 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, it sounds exactly like the UKIT I remember. But, I only remember the last 10 or 15 years. I’m trying to remember who stopped it. Was it Tubby? Pitino?

18. BCinVA
    7:33 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

I think this is a great idea and a wonderful tribute to Bill K.

19. wildcat369
    7:43 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

I’m sure somewhere in heaven Mr. Keightly, Coach Rupp and Cawood are having a beer tonight to celebrate.

20. Rae
    7:57 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

The sad part is Cal never got to meet Mr. Keightley.

21. Kiddekat
    9:53 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

Expletive, you are right. The UKIT went downhill the last few years. I loved Pitino and what he did for UK in his day, but never forgave him for what he did to the schedule. He did away with the UKIT and scheduled more and more rinky-dink teams every year. Rupp would play any team anywhere and those were the good old days. I used to have season tickets but gave them up because we seldom played a quality team at home. It used to be that winning 20 games was quite an accomplishment because of the tough scedules; now it is an embarasssment if the team doesn’t. I’m aware that there are many more games scheduled nowadays, but you get my point.