UK watching Derek Willis today

Coaches from UK will be at Bullitt East High School today to watch Derek Willis, per Jody Demling. The 6-foot-9 power forward will be working out in jeans with no shirt on (as always) in front of the Cats. Tom Crean and Rick Pitino have also made trips to see him recently.

Willis, who decommitted from Purdue this summer, is the No. 8 power forward in the 2013 class, according to Scout.com. He does not currently hold an offer from Kentucky but he is scheduled to be at Big Blue Madness this year.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

43 Comments for UK watching Derek Willis today

1. JDubbs1983
    12:13 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Isn’t Bullitt East known for their football program not their basketball? I’d pass on him hes more of a Dukie type, besides he reminds me of James Lafferty “Nathan from One Tree Hill” = My wife’s favorite show so dont judge. LOL.

2. JDubbs1983
    12:16 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Although it would be nice to pull a few “decent” white boys into the program. Just not sure about the whole loyalty thing with the de-commit.

3. OwensboroFan
    12:32 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

I take this as a sign we are not getting Perry Ellis

4. Don
    12:34 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

No way he would get more than a preferred walk on offer..just saying.

5. Bleed Blue
    12:41 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

At OwensboroFan Willis is class of 2013 Ellis is class of 2012, going after Willis has nothing on what Ellis would be doing since they in 2 different classes.

6. Catsantonio
    12:44 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Cheddar’s is the obvious choice for best “casual dining” restaurant, but it is not included in the poll answers.

7. John Hood
    12:45 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

We NEED this guy!

8. Tobias Funke
    12:46 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

I just don’t trust a dad who let’s his son work out in jeans and Tommy Hilfiger boxers, commit to Purdue and live in Shepardsville.

9. Matty
    12:47 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

JDubbs, why would it be nice to get a few ‘decent’ white boys? If we get some white boys, just like black boys, or brown boys, why not get ‘studs’?

10. Kernel Sanders
    12:48 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

#2 do you question Terrence Jones’ loyalty after his UW decommit? Seems to have worked out fairly well for both UK and Jones.

11. ThatsAShame
    12:49 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

JDubbs1983 = racist

12. MemphisCat
    12:49 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Cut those jeans off and you have another JORTS.

13. Sexington
    12:56 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Cant let a Kentucky boy leave

14. Matty
    12:58 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

13. If we have better options… Yes we can —> See Behanan, Chane. (Although he was really an Ohio boy who moved to Kentucky, but you get the picture.)

15. Holden McGroin
    1:00 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

6. I agree. I’d pick Cheddars over any of them.

16. JDubbs1983
    1:09 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Funny how one can’t comment on a blog site without the racist card being pulled.
    #11? Not sure how you got that from my statement, but…OK if thats how you feel you are intitled to your own opinion. Lets be honest here if we may. How many “white” boys has Duke and North Carolina “pulled” in over Kentucky in the recent years? I speak in terms of quality of player. They are ranked high not just a walk on type. We could use these kinds of players but they are hard to pull.
    #10 Yes, yes I did. Do I now? No. Once he signed his letter of intent he was one of ours and couldn’t turn back without going through alot of red tape. Look these are “young” kids basically they have the toughest decision to make for their future..its not like it use to be where they just picked a school they liked or thier home school and went on. Its now about “TV time” or exposure and playing for said coach. Its not really about the university at all. There are going to be many more “kids” who pull the trigger way to fast without thinking it over and wish they could take it back and most will. My main reasoning for that comment is that you question their integrety slightly. Especially when its a school that heavily recruits you over a span of a year or so…hmmmm Marquis Teague?

17. wildcatfan11
    1:11 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

13- not a ky boy really. hes from alaska. so maybe another alaskan asassin! hes not bad though for real. and he lives in mt. washington not sheperdsville. big difference. go chargers! class of 97

18. the truth
    1:19 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

I’ll pass. This guy is weak. And he’s gotta daddy like Momma Legion. Pass on both of ’em.

19. JDubbs1983
    1:21 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

My #2 comment implied that we need Kentucky to get back to its ’96-’98 title run days where we had really really good “white” boys and more than just one. Look people on here can be SO judgemental when reading the words that are typed on these pages. (I dont feel like typing a book so I’ll keep it short and simple) No way should my words be taken out of context and be considered slanderous or racist. Simply put the boy is white and hes good and we can use players like this…no offense to Jarod Polson or John Hood who are good players too.

20. JDubbs1983
    1:26 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

#17 Bullitt County is Bullitt County to all that live outside its boundries but indeed there is a difference between Shepherdsville and Mount Washington. Its called more money, being stuck up thier own a$$e$, oh and a lower number of meth labs. Lmao! BTW I think there is some “illegal recruiting” going on behind the scenes at Bullitt East…possibly some big money boosters?

21. Bacon
    1:27 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

I go to school and play basketball with D-Will and i can personally say he deserves better attention than people give him credit for. He is one heck of an athlete.Go Cats!

22. [email protected]
    1:30 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

1- I don’t know much about this boy but if he reminds you of Nathan from OTH, Ill take him!! That is my all time favorite show!! Wish we could pull a Lucas out from somewhere he was and still is my favorite 🙂
    8-It’s SHEPHERDSVILLE

23. Dr. Dick Fitzenbutts
    1:32 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

8- Maybe I’m cherry picking, but anyone who’s dad is choosing their boxers has issues.

24. JDubbs1983
    1:35 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

#22 I believe I know you from somewhere…..just not sure where> LMAO! Oh and…..going to have to stop you there Lucas was just a “pretty boy”. Nathan could actually “ball” outside of the TV screen. He was picked for that roll for that very reason.

25. [email protected]
    1:39 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

24-I seriously just LOL-ed. That’s great.

26. Matty
    1:44 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Jdubbs… You get yourself in trouble when you say we need good _________ (fill in the blank with a certain race) boys on the team. That’s almost like saying it would be easier and/or more fun for you to root for the team if we had white guys on the team. If that’s the way you feel, fine. But I wouldn’t go putting it out there on a message board or in the comments section without catching a little heat for it. And frankly, I don’t give a damn what color the kids are as long as they can play and we’re competing for National Championships. Winning has no color. As Chuck Sheen would say, it’s just #winning.

27. [email protected]
    1:45 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

24-So…Who did you say the fan was…Your “wife”? Wondering cause you seem to know quite a bit about it…Ha Ha

28. Catsfando
    1:50 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Does anyone have any info on the young mans skills? Can he play the game? How’s his attitude towards UK ? Don’t slam where he plays, the color of his skin, give me facts not innuendo and let me know if this kid is really a prospect be it as a walk on or a possible scholly offer.

29. the truth
    1:51 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Hey, Amy and JDubbs, get a room.

30. SagaciousMind
    2:23 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Derek Willis isnt just a white boy from KY, he is the #23 player in his class. Who knows how many scholarships we will have for the ’13 class, but this kid seems to have a good shot, good handles, and strong 2 handed rebounder. Dont know much about his speed, but based on his abilities he is a typical Cal power forward, versatile. Wouldnt surprise me at all to see this guy in blue if Cal offers.

31. Sofa King Hungry
    2:41 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

I thought I heard clapping.

32. michael wright
    2:45 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

does it mattter if he is white or any other color, The ? is, is he good enough to play at UK, and is his attitude good enough to play and work hard with others?

33. Rick Rude
    2:47 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

When I worked out for coaches, I wore a leotard and snakeskin boots. No shirt. But a bra.

34. Kernel Sanders
    3:32 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

jdubbs, you just keep digging a deeper hole and expose your true thoughts. You ask “How many “white” boys has Duke and North Carolina “pulled” in over Kentucky in the recent years?” Honestly, if you aren’t just a tad prejudiced, you would simply say how many “good players” has Duke and UNC pulled in over KY. If your comments didn’t have racial overtones, you would have no need to even recognize whether these Duke/UNC players were black, white, red, or green. You were NOT speaking of quality of player as you try to assert, you were speaking of quality of WHITE player. You also say we “need these kinds of players” (meaning good white players). Why do you say that? Why do we care if they are good white players or good black players? Or let me guess, you are gonna say they would raise the team GPA. Just… shut… up.

35. Johnson
    3:33 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

I think we can do a little better than this dude. He must be option # 6 at the PF position for 1013.

36. Johnson
    3:33 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

37. Johnson
    3:33 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

38. Daddysboy
    5:34 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Willis is listed as a power forward but that is not his true position. Whatever his ranking there are few players in his class with the versatility he has. At 6’9″ he has the ability to shoot the 3 with range and dribbles / passes like a point guard.
    This kid came from nowhere this spring to be ranked as high as 23 in his class and from watching him on the AAU circuit he has a huge upside.

39. CatWalk
    6:32 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

WOW! reading all these “replys” are really showing how little knowledge you people have! Derek wasent ranked until this summer because he hadnt played AAU ball plus last season he was a sophmore! He plays 1 AAU season and jumps to #23! Does that really not tell you anything?! Ive went to see him play many times and the kid is going to be unreal bby his senior year high school. He’s already 6′-9″, handles the ball like a guard, passes like a guard, and has unlimited range with ice in his veins! This coming year, Troy Barr (his coach) is going to be having Derek playing much more strong and aggresive and you all will be eating crow, take that to the bank!

40. Ira Tatum
    6:51 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Purdue is an excellent school. I hate that he is giving that up. But, if he is as good as #39 says and WANTS to play at KENTUCKY then I am in favor (despite his controlling dad…….on second thought, that may be a problem).

41. catstang
    9:04 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Living in Mt. Washington and my Boys played for Bullitt East I sure would be proud to see this kid in Kentucky Blue. If he has any weakness Coach Cal will take care of that. Also need to keep him away from those nasty cards.

42. coldspringmike
    9:33 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Good post #39-as a incoming junior ranked #23, as a senior next year will probably be higher. Don’t care if he’s from Alaska, he’s in Kentucky now, living in Kentucky, playing in Kentucky. Understand Indiana is after him hard, can’t let that happen. I think the Purdue verbal was just a young kid being caught up in the moment and not thinking the decision thru.

43. Some Guy in Kentucky
    9:35 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

All of the people that think they are an expert on the boys dad need to give it a rest.