UK Student Who Needs Votes Wants Update From the Road

I don’t know the girl above, but her friend wrote me and said she needed votes in this matchup on BarstoolU.com versus a contender from James Madison. We break polls all the time, so doing it for one of UK’s most beautiful fans is surely worthwhile as well. The Big Blue Nation knows no bounds, including “Smokeshow” contests.

We are in Bowling Green and as such, a few thoughts from the road:

— Kentucky is set for a good football recruiting week, with as many as three commitments coming through, but Vanderbilt is absolutely on another level in recruiting right now. I never thought I would write the previous sentence about football, but the reality is that it is true. Today James Franklin got Ryan White, a player from Louisville to decommit from Louisville and commit to Vanderbilt. That is a pretty amazing accomplishment and tells you just what an amazing salesman he must be. Part of what has made it difficult for Joker has been the perceived success of Charlie Strong, but part may also be what Franklin does this year at Vanderbilt. To recruit on the level he has at that school…well it is pretty amazing.

— If you didn’t see Anthony Davis today, make sure and don’t make the mistake again. He was so much fun to watch and his teammates were absolutely thrilled with his 5 dunk, 12 point performance. The auto-lob was on full effect and one of his dunks was completely in the face of a Tunisian player. While it was hard not to focus on the Tunisian coach’s ridiculous skinny jeans, Davis was the story for me and often for the announcers as they showcased just how talented he is. With each dunk, I jumped off the couch. My guess is that a lot of you did as well.

— The show today in Glasgow was one of my favorites ever. We had a great crowd at the Glasgow Country Club full of a lot of nice fans. One came up to me and said “I came out here to see how old you were…I thought you were 50.” And one 80 year old woman told me, “I came to see if you were ugly, because if you were, I wasn’t going to listen anymore. I guess now I will keep listening.” No one has ever said anything kinder. But equally as good were the phone calls, which spanned the gamut, from the unbelievably sincere and touching (the young man who called and said he was going through his father’s will and he had made notes about KSR and Tubby Smith), to the fascinating (the two 90 year old women who called the show to talk about their love of the Cats) to the bizarre (Ryan talking about the UK football team being like a fat girl putting on a sexy pair of panties). Rarely have I had more fun on the air and if you didn’t hear it, click on the link below and take a listen.

We are headed to the Farm Boy Restaurant in Morgantown tomorrow. Hope you will listen as we do our thing from what I hear is a great place for good eating. For now, I will watch tape delay swimming from a Holiday Inn in Bowling Green. Have a great night

Article written by Matt Jones

38 Comments for UK Student Who Needs Votes Wants Update From the Road

1. DP
    10:18 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Turkish player? Did we play Turkey??

2. jpgott2
    10:19 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

I am not joking when I say, Bring VANDY’s, James Franklin to UK!!! I have been preaching his name for the last few months on these boards. The guy can recruit 4 star talent, and he is a very good coach. He went 6-6 in his first season at Vandy, with a bunch of 2-Stars on his roster.

UK has had more success than Vandy in football, and can get Franklin. He would be a huge get, before he gets big, and looks for one of the top gigs in the land.

3. BPsycho
    10:22 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

4. UK Fan in Florida
    10:22 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

1 – “Turkish” or “Tunisian” – who cares, them furriners all look and sound alike.

5. jpgott2
    10:26 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Oh, I have to add that Vandy only got blown out by Alabama, and by 17 to South Carolina. They did not lose another game by more than a TD.

He is doing all of this at VANDY!

6. BPsycho
    10:27 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Lol furriners now that’s funny.

7. 44 Stitches
    10:33 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Vandy’s coach flew down here to the Atlanta area last year in a helicopter to watch some of his recruit’s play. Instead flying into a little local county airport, landing spot, or wherever to land and then driving to the game. Franklin’s pilot would land the chopper on the practice fields of the game’s he was attending. The guy is thinking outside the box to get kids attention.

8. Harv
    10:39 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Ok so why did my comment get deleted? Wow… Somebody’s mom must have burned their grilled cheese.

9. duh
    10:52 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Harv, I think they delete every fifth comment…happens to me too

10. bodiddle
    10:56 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

That girl is pretty hot…but so is the girl going against her.

11. Explorer
    11:05 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

The helicopter thing is done by everybody. I knows it cool to see but it is not thinking outside the box.

12. ukpat714
    11:12 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

First Ramada Inn. Now Holiday Inn. Matt must be staying at Travel Lodge tomorrow! Travelin back to the 60’s with Matt Jones & KSR! Love it!

13. Le Douche
    11:12 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Hot girl posted above, but it’s the 80 year old women that Matt Jones really turns on!

14. JBR
    11:13 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, it is crazy to see REAL up and coming coaches out there knocking it out of the park, like Franklin, and we still have like 4 guys here (I’m looking at you “common sense”) that defend Joker like he has any chance at all of doing anything. Vandy and U of L are kicking our butts everywhere…that is sad, even by UK football standards. Common sense, there is a reason that Franklin and Strong are being worshipped at their schools…and Joker is, well, what he is here. You can’t blame that on the fans, that is reality.

15. duh
    11:35 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

JBR, I agree, and I don’t want to hear these same people wondering what happened when Vandy blows us out again this year (like last year). Our football program needs a change and soon.

16. duh
    11:37 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Maybe Cal could coach the football and basketball teams

17. BPsycho
    11:40 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

#15 Id’e saddle that filly… Ride it hard and put her up, oh forget it.

Blonde’s face doesn’t know if it’s 23 or 43.

18. Malibu
    12:15 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Creep ass Matt Jones strikes again

19. big tim
    12:16 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

14 how is louisville kicking our butt??? uofl lost 2 players in this recruiting class already and there recruiting not much better then ours

20. honestly
    12:17 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Wondering how many people will check that link then vote for the JMU girl. I mean, damn

21. Ya boi
    2:19 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

SEC has the sexiest girls. Dime.

22. Beavis
    6:45 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

# 14,,,leave common sense alone,,,everyone ( even him ) has the right to make stupid comments,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

23. Lakesidecatsfan
    8:15 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

The last two days on the radio show has had two of the saddest calls I have ever heard and reminded me that I have a heart, and I know matt has shown he has one too. First it was the Truth sounding so weak while telling of his cancer and his condition where he will be recovering for 8 months, and then even sadder was the guy who called in today and fought very hard to hold back his tears when speaking of his fathers will. Both days made me sit back and assess life and how fortunate we really are in the grand scheme of things. The old ladies also made me smile. Who knew such sweet ladies (in their 90’s) were so passionate for KSR and the BBN. If you haven’t heard the two podcasts, they are a must hear.

24. Those SPD guys
    8:26 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

How do you vote for that beautiful chica

25. Those SPD guys
    8:28 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Never Mind you click 1 star for liz or 5 for blondie, damn half of blondies’ votes are probably from people giving that post a 5star rating

26. Le Douche
    8:35 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Did anyone see the Virgin Diaries On TLC where that guy, Skippy, went around and tried to talk to super hot girls and would try to bribe them with stickers and T-shirts to go a date with him or kiss him? The girls would talk to him to be nice (or because there were cameras there) but you could see that they were repulsed by him. That is pretty much Matt Jones and the girls he puts pictures of on KSR, or his creepy crush on Kate Upton.

27. 44 Stitches
    8:44 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

@11 Maybe so where your from but not so much down here in Atlanta. There is over 500 high school’s in the state of Ga. More than 200 plus in metro Atlanta. The only other coach I can remember doing it in the Atlanta area was lane kiffin. Do you know how much red tape has to be cleared to let a helicopter land on a practice field at high school right before a football game starts?

28. pitino's speedo
    9:07 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, I love the Joker fans who talk up these 1 or 2 three star kids we land, and act like, “Jokers getting the job done!”

A) Vandy is even getting more three stars than us NOW – and beating us on the field.

B) The Bama’s and LSU’s of the world don’t even recruit three star kids.

C) Joker is in over his head. Oh, and… there are at least 10 high school coaches in this state that could do as good a job as Joker.

D) “Common Sense” is Joker or Joker’s agent, or maybe Mitch – but my money is on it being Joker himself.

29. granddadcat
    9:32 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

its a shame UK has to settle for 1 and 2 star kids and we get excited about a 3 star. never be able to compete with the big boys. just a shame.

30. Head Bussa
    9:51 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

Sorry, but I take my Smokeshow votes seriously. I had to take the JMU girl because she was hotter in my opinion.

31. 96cats98
    11:37 am August 1, 2012 Permalink

30 – Um, yeah, that blonde is smokin’. Sorry Liz.

32. Stylz
    2:15 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

Don’t see an obvious place to vote for Liz. For you fools who think the blonde is prettier you must be, well, fools. Liz has a much better body (other girl is obviously afraid to show her entire body in her pics) and the JMU chick is just a par of terribly fake boobs with blonde hair around it.

33. NoHeWouldn't
    2:44 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

Why would James Franklin leave Vandy for UK? He can continue to produce mediocre results at Vandy that will get noticed and he can move on to a better job than UK.

I don’t get how one 6-6 season at Vandy somehow makes James Franklin, a former offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting at Maryland, the potential savior of UK football, while two seasons of 6-6, 5-7 makes Joker, a former offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting, no better than “at least 10 high school coaches in this state . . . .”

34. NoHeWouldn't
    2:50 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

Oh, and the recruit that committed to Vandy that seems to have everyone back foaming at the mouth is a 3 star recruit – a recruit that everyone would be bath mouthing if Joker had gotten the same commitment.

35. toolshed
    5:21 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

32 is dead on. Liz looks good from every angle and has a gorgeous face. Blondie isn’t even that hot in the face and probably has an ass as wide as a door.

36. jpgott2
    5:41 pm August 1, 2012 Permalink

33., Franklin, is pulling in crops of 4-Star recruits to a university he has only had 1 season at. He guided a team full of 2-star players, to a 6-6 record, and a season that saw them competitive in all but 1 game (Alabama). He is continuing to bring in great recruiting classes, and is doing all of this at a university that is still building its athletic facilities, and is recognized as one of the worst football programs in BCS history.

Jokers on the other hand, has been with UK for 10 years, in which he was a large part of UK’s recruiting effort. Joker is NOT new to UK like Franklin is to Vandy, and Joker has a roster of 3-star players compared to the shambles of 2-Stars under Franklins 1st season. Joker has been atrocious in his first couple of seasons as HC of UK, even though he has been in the program as a significant figure for some time, and had a 5 games bowl streak to work off of! UK is not remotely COMPETITIVE, while Vandy is on its way.

Stealing a 4 star recruit from the city of Louisville from UL, shows how good Franklin is at recruiting. He is not trying to find these “gems in the rough”, for he is going out and taking these highly touted players. He is painting a picture of Vandy, that somehow appeals to recruits. That right there is talent.

Franklin is not trying to find “playmakers” 3/4ths of the way through the season!!

37. putinrichie
    6:48 am August 2, 2012 Permalink

2,36 – We need to find our own Franklin because we couldn’t get him unless we doubled or tripled his salary. Also, UK would not be an upgrade for him. You don’t go from the worst team in the conference to the next worst team in the conference. Since hes proven he can be successful at Vandy, he could get a better gig than Kentucky. Franklin’s next landing point will be at a more proven football school. Maybe Tennessee after Dooley gets canned this year.

38. kms33
    1:35 am August 3, 2012 Permalink

Liz is sexy as hell and has a bangin bod. The blonde looks fake and there are no pics posted of her in her bikini…wonder why?