UK Softball makes NCAA Tournament, will host Regional

Congrats to the UK Softball team, who not only received an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament on Sunday, but given the honor of hosting one of the 16 regionals. The team was seeded 12th in the nation, and begins their Tournament run on Friday at 7:30 p.m. against Marshall. The other two teams in the Lexington Regional, Notre Dame and Virginia Tech, will face off beforehand at 5 p.m. at John Cropp Stadium. All games can be seen on ESPN3.com.

The regional is a double-elimination format, with the winner advancing to a Super Regional against the winner of the Tempe Regional, which includes No. 5 seed Arizona State, San Jose State, San Diego State and Georgia. The Super Regional, slated for May 23-26, is a best two-of-three format with the winner advancing to the eight-team Women’s College World Series, scheduled for May 30-June 5 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

This is the fifth consecutive season the team has made the Tournament, each appearance happening under head coach Rachel Lawson. Lawson said the team is thrilled they’ll have a chance to play the first game in front of a home crowd:

“We are very excited about hosting the NCAA Regional this weekend at John Cropp Stadium. After the crowds we had this week for the SEC Tournament, I know the Big Blue Nation is going to come out in droves to provide us with a home field advantage. Notre Dame, Virginia Tech and Marshall are three very good teams that present a lot of challenges. We are going to work hard this week in practice to get ready to go Friday night.”

Watch the girls react to their seeding during the NCAA Selection Show above.

9 Comments for UK Softball makes NCAA Tournament, will host Regional

1. Greg
    10:34 am May 13, 2013 Permalink

Thanks Coach Lawson for building great softball in the Commonwealth. You guys who haven’t seen high level college softball need to get out to the stadium this weekend. Very reasonable ticket prices and exciting games to watch in an incredible facility.

2. Big Mike in The Wood
    10:44 am May 13, 2013 Permalink

Congrats to the Cats. Take em down.

Random question. Never been to a college game, is it standard for the pitcher to wear the protective mask?

3. WIGGINSWATCH2013!!!
    11:01 am May 13, 2013 Permalink

any word on Wiggins ?!?!?!?!?

4. Big Mike
    11:08 am May 13, 2013 Permalink

Pitcher wearing the mask is not standard…Nunley was hit in the face as an 8 yr old and broke her nose…she has worn the mask ever since.

5. Greg
    11:47 am May 13, 2013 Permalink

#2 – most don’t wear mask but I think you’ll see it more and more in the future. Kids are wearing them at lower levels and getting used to them..designs are lighter and better than ever. Ever see a batter take a foul ball to the face or a pitcher take one to the head and it’s worth wearing a mask.

6. Big Mike in The Wood
    12:02 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for the replies 4 & 5. I have seen pitchers take one to the face and its not all Jan Brady. Absolutely a smart move.

7. StangLuvr
    1:58 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Not a better group of players than a UK Softball Team!!!! Go get em ladies!!!

My daughter is 9 and plays travel ball. Her whole team wears masks in whatever position they play. My daughter pitches and I would not put her out there without one on. 10\9U girls hit the ball hard, and at only 35 feet away, it’s not a lot of time for a 9 year old to get out of the way! Safety 1st!

Let’s hope Coach Lawson is there went Gracie takes the field for the Wildcats!!!

8. UK Rifle >>>> TCU Rifle
    3:58 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Get your tickets now and lets get BBN out in force for this series of games. 11 SEC teams made this tourney and it would be great to have our girls move on to the 16 in the Super Regionals. When UK went to South Bend for Men’s and Women’s basketball they had a big local turnout so it would be nice to return the favor when the Irish play here. Tickets are not to bad on price and it would be great to see a very pro UK crowd in the stands.

1st game is this Friday at 5 pm / 2nd game is this Friday at 7 pm
    3rd game is this Saturday at 1 pm / 4th game is this Saturday at 3:30 pm / 5th game is this Saturday at 6 pm
    6th game is this Sunday at 1 pm / 7th game is this Sunday at 3:30 pm (game 7 is only played if necessary)

9. EastKYGal
    5:48 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I played fast pitch ball back in the dark ages, and with the exception of the catcher, no equipment was used to protect faces – not even when batting. (we did wear batting helmets) As a pitcher, I was EXTREMELY lucky to not get my face plowed. I watched a teammate have her mouth nearly destroyed with just a thrown ball. I can’t imagine what a batted ball would have done to her. Given the opportunity, I would definitely have worn the face mask while pitching. I really like my teeth where they are.

I’m very excited for the success of the UK Girls! I wish I was going to be in town this weekend. I would definitely go over and support them.