UK RB Josh Clemons is a Man and Can Run a Quick Forty

media_day

Photo courtesy of GYERO

It is hard not to feel optimistic at a football team’s Media Day. The combination of a new year and an assortment of excited young faces cannot help but make even the most jaded observer mildly eager with anticipation. Yesterday’s UK Football Media Day was no different. Everyone seemed confident and the intoxicating sense of possibility was in the air. But even among all the wonderful stories of promising newcomers, one name stood out, the next big thing at Kentucky RB, Josh Clemons. It doesn’t take long for Clemons to grab your attention. As you can see from the above picture, Clemons is built like a man already and has the look of an all-SEC capable Running Back before his first game. He is fast, he is strong and if you were picking teams for a football game based solely on appearance, he might go before any other Kentucky skill position player.

And that sense of possibility is also reflected in the comments of his coaches. Tee Martin told me yesterday that Josh would “open a lot of eyes this season.” The usually reserved Joker Phillips got a sparkle in his eye when I mentioned Clemons and said that he “hopes he plays as good as he looks.” Longtime UK observers on the field all commented on Clemons and Chip Cosby said last night on KSTV that he believed Clemons would be playing all season long. I wont profess to know his future and you can watch Clemons’s highlights below and make your own educated guess. However in a Freshman class that nearly every media observer agreed looks physically as good as any that have ever arrived on UK’s campus, Clemons stood out as the man to watch. That probably means that you should get to know him as well.

Article written by Matt Jones

30 Comments for UK RB Josh Clemons is a Man and Can Run a Quick Forty

1. greatdanish
    2:21 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

He looks like he’s 30 years old. And that’s a good thing.

2. Shag Harr
    2:29 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

#1 is right. Barring injury, of course it would be splendid if Josh Clemons played/started all season long. Given that it is the SEC, the chances he goes down are high (assuming a direct correlation with playing time as a freshman). The more he’ll play, the more his body will pay; I hope he plays extremely well and succeeds injury-free on/off the field.

3. Manbearpig
    2:39 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

he could potentially fill my man crush that was on Randall Cobb

4. Cats R Back
    2:41 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

Now that man looks like an SEC running back. I only needed to watch a minute or two of the video. He runs over, around, and through dudes. wow

5. SagaciousMind
    2:55 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

This dude is big, we havent had a runnin back like that in awhile. I know a lot of people are bein pessimistic about us this year, but I think we have good size and speed…we are gonna surprise people.

6. BoggMan
    3:08 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

He is a beast! Can wait to watch him work wearing the Big Blue!

7. You Can Call Me Cal
    3:08 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

Got to admit, there were some moments there where no matter who the competition was, I just had to say wow. Kid is a smart runner who looks like he follows his blocks well. Only thing I’d say is he’ll have to learn he won’t be able to sidestep a lot of these SEC players in the backfield. But, overall, hell yea! Go Blue!

8. Follow Zimmerman
    3:16 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

6’11 center from Vegas class of 2015, only going to be a Freshman in HS has a twitter account now

Show him love Big Blue

9. Jason
    3:16 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

We haven’t had a guy like Clemons since Pinner. He runs like the best kinds of SEC RB’s run: Inbetween and through the tackles. He is the most physically mature freshman we have had in a long, long time, probably since Micah Johnson. And combine his power running with his unbelievable speed (seriously, i find it difficult to believe he really runs a 4.3, but if so…….WOW) and he will be great for us in the future. Not good, great. This guy is one that in just a couple years, all the announcers will say during our games is “I can’t believe Georgia let him get out of the state!” like they always did with Cobb and TN. UGA fans wish they had him this year, Crowell won’t be enough. Guys like Clemons, Darryl Collins, Glenn Faulkner, and Patrick Towles are going to be absolute studs for us in about 3 years. STUDS.

10. HighFlyingBirds
    3:20 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

He must have the good roids!

11. Mr Schwump
    3:28 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

Thought #97 Cobble might be able to help but not with that huge gut hanging over his belt. Fat ass.

12. repsol-69
    3:40 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

i now know why Russel left

13. Dustin
    3:47 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

Yeah he & the rest of the SEC! WGAF!

14. 44 Stitches
    3:56 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

I’ve posted on here many times how I saw Clemons play twice in high school and he was a man among boys!

I saw Clemons play once his junior year and once his senior year. Both times were against my old high school which is cross county rivals with Clemons old high school. My old high school won state both of those season I saw Clemons play against them. It wasn’t like Clemons was running over some cupcakes. My old high school is a football factory. Since 1991 it has averaged 3 D1 players a year with 6 guys getting to the NFL. Calvin Johnson being the biggest name from my old school in the NFL. Let me put it to you this way Rivals.com has my old high school Sandy Creek as the 16th best team in the country in this seasons preseason poll. With that being said I don’t think our team this year is as good as the the one’s we had the last two years that Clemons ran all over.

Clemons senior year down here in the AAAA state tournament was playing against the #1 seed and overall favorite to win state in that class. Clemons ran all over them and carried his team to the upset. Clemons will eventually play more than Sanders. Clemons is baller.

15. Nelson
    4:00 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

Micah arms with Locke speed

16. Beetle bum
    4:05 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

Great highlights. Josh’s dad is a fitness instructor. Josh looks ready!!

17. Smokin Joker
    4:06 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

18. Fall fever
    4:07 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know how he achieved his physique, but the kid has pretty good football pedigree. His bio says his dad played in the NFL, so did a cousin and another cousin played for Georgia. Regardless, he is exactly the kind of player we need. I know he doesn’t get the same benefit of the doubt because he was on the staff and coach in waiting before last year, but I think Joker and the staff he is getting in place are moving us toward a roster that will be on even footing with everyone besides the very upper echelon of both divisions. The biggest deficiency we usually have is up front and if this year and last year’s classes are any indication it looks like we are stockpiling big dudes on both sides of the ball. I choose to be optimistic right now. I’m sure I’ll retract and/or say I don’t care about any of the things I’ve mentioned if we start having bad losses or crap the bed a la the Tenn game last year. But Go Clemons and Go Cats.

19. wow
    4:10 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

the play at 2:16 is the best

20. juggaluggs
    4:31 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

@11 yes it is…nice n cumfy

21. Guest
    5:35 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

At first glance I thought 86 was Sunshine from Remember The Titans

22. Pk
    5:56 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

That’s how mike bush ran over the entire state for 4 years…. We are in for a treat this year with our o line and a back like that. Call me crazy but should we replace the wild cob with a newton/Clemons. Option?!?

23. Ukato80
    6:00 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

It’s against HS talent, but if anyone caught him from behind…I missed it. Big and fast, and a smart runner. Going to be fun to watch him.

24. UK blue
    6:27 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

He looks ready to go!

25. G Rob
    7:48 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

Josh Clemons is going to dominate. Watch out for this guy, SEC.

26. J Brill
    9:30 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

i played high school with big clem. and he definitely didnt take roids. we would joke around and say he is, but we all knew he wouldnt touch a thing. very humble, goffy kid. i know he’ll domin ate in the sec.

27. Believer
    10:17 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

He has a great stiff arm in some of those runs!

28. JVice
    12:41 am August 7, 2011 Permalink

#86. So pretty.

29. Wes
    1:39 am August 7, 2011 Permalink

Reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew

30. Megan
    9:24 am August 7, 2011 Permalink

An athletic build can be most attractive, but only to a point. It’s hard to say what that point is. Perhaps when it makes a certain part of you look smaller or appear less, um, accessible (is that why I’m attracted to Italian waiters with no hips?). Regardless, #20 is too much. That’s just me. I know a coworker who would strongly disagree.