UK Pros vs. The DR: Random Notes From The Bucket

Last night was my first – and probably last – trip to the KFC Yum! Center. I should be reporting about the game and how nice the arena is, but I’m not. I thrive on random and that’s exactly what you’re going to get. Here’s a collection of random thoughts, moments, and opinions I wrote down after the game. Let’s take it outside the box score…

————————————————

You want me to sit where? Matt and I were among the first media members to arrive at the Yum! Center – because we’re dedicated – so we were the first to go out on to the floor and scout out the seating arrangements. We were given a map when we checked in that clearly showed that he would be sitting on the baseline in the sixth seat from the north goal and I was assigned the first seat under the south goal. By the looks of the diagram, our seats seemed like two pretty prime spots. However, when we walked out to the court, we realized there weren’t any tables on press row. And not only were there not tables, we didn’t have chairs, either. We had been credentialed as photographers and were assigned a piece of tape right on the baseline as our “seat.” I like to think that most of the world’s most distinguished sports journalists sit Indian-style with a laptop, live-blogging a game less than five feet away from the action.

“I can’t eat cheese when I’m working.” Those were the words we overheard from a Yum! Center employee in the dining area of the media room before the game. While it sounds absurd, it actually makes sense. Cheese is a “sleepy food,” especially when mixed with snack crackers. It also gives you gas. So, the only absurd part of this encounter is that the Yum! Center served us cheese and crackers. That’s it. Cheese and crackers. Oh, and a soda fountain with an “Out of Order” post-it note. Thanks for dinner, cheap asses.

If you solve the Matrix, you can access the free Wi-Fi. This shouldn’t be a big deal, but I’m going to spin it that way. The Wi-Fi password for the game was a bit much. Instead of going with “dominican”, “republic”, or “15seconds”, the Wi-Fi password was “**YuMC3nt3r!”. Is that really necessary? I need something I can remember when I get to my seat. I shouldn’t have to use algorithms to get on the Internet. And I hope that’s the password for every event in the arena too. Enjoy it, just make sure you write it down before you go.

Okay, Jurich. You can turn the lights back on. We knew Tom Jurich would try to sabotage the game, we just didn’t know how far he would go to do so. The game was delayed for about fifteen minutes after player introductions because the overhead lights in the arena wouldn’t come back on. Had this game been played in a place like Memorial Gym, I might believe that it takes a while for the lights to heat back up. But this arena hasn’t even been open for a full year and you’re telling me you can’t get the lights to come back on? Cut the crap, Jurich.

Nice try with the white screen but it didn’t work. Someone came up with the brilliant idea of using a solid white screen on the video boards to light up the arena. While I admire their effort, it didn’t work. Fans sat through seven minutes of gloomy basketball before the place was lit up again.

The Mayor of Louisville is very excited about Louisville Heritage Day. During the awkward fifteen minutes without the lights, Louisville Mayor Greg Fisher grabbed the microphone and made a plug for Louisville Heritage Day: “… and it won’t just be our Dominican friends, come out and see our Chinese and our Mexicans on Louisville Heritage Day.” Ummm… Did he just make a plug for Louisville’s Chinese and Mexicans? Something about that sounds racist.

Rajon Rondo’s shoes were bright. It looked like he was holding down turbo on NBA Jam. That’ll kill your stamina, ya know.

Louisville fans are so darn cute. There were two Louisville fans seated a couple sections away from each other and I’m convinced they were in a contest to see who could be the most obnoxious. There was the fan in the Hawaiian shirt we showed you last night, and a guy who weighed about a buck-twenty wearing an XL Louisville polo behind the Dominicans bench. Both guys were throwing their L’s up and rooting for the Cards, while using every minute of downtime on the court to tell John Wall, last year’s #1 overall pick, that he sucks. Only a younger sibling can get away with public behavior like that.

‘Pros vs. Joes’ called. They want their jerseys back. As someone pointed out during the game in Lexington, couldn’t we just call this game Pros vs. Joses and sell it to Spike TV?

Thank you for not wearing chicken buckets on your heads. Way to keep it classy, Cats fans.

Dear Louisville fans, UK did not just lose to Louisville. Yeah, Edgar Sosa and Francisco Garcia played two great games for the Dominican Republic. I’ll gladly stand and applaud both of their performances – I was very impressed. But don’t act like Louisville just beat Kentucky because two of your former players beat a team of former UK players. It doesn’t work like that. I won’t take the easy way out and say Sosa and Garcia finally had good coaching, either. I’ll just say, “See you on December 31.”

Joe B. and Denny need more reasons to hold a press conference. I could’ve sat and listened to Joe B., Denny Crum, and Coach Cal’s press conference all night. Where else can you hear two coaching legends talk about the best places to catch peacock sea bass? The answer is nowhere.

That’s all. I hope you enjoyed whatever it is I just wrote.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

20 Comments for UK Pros vs. The DR: Random Notes From The Bucket

1. HillbillyInBC
    12:31 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

I hope you’ll be back in the grease bucket next March to see the Cats in the NCAA tournament.

2. NegativeforNoReason
    12:35 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Pros vs. Joses?

3. Baby Fatt Jones
    12:36 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Drew. You have a face for radio.

4. tratpat
    12:54 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

On an ESPN all access segment an Oklahoma OL wins an arm wrestling contest. He then proceeds to do the John Wall dance repeating, “John..Wall..John..Wall”

5. BoomKentucky
    12:54 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Did anybody else feel like Greg Fisher was also trying to take jabs at UK during his “speech.” I thought it was weird how he said it and emphasized it when he said Louisville. Could just be me though. It no big deal.

6. Blue2daCore
    1:04 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

BoomKentucky – you’re right — Fisher *tried* to take shots at UK, before humiliating himself and the city by plugging Louisville’s upcoming “WorldFest” in the least p.c. manner possible. BTW – I thought the YUM! center downloading and runnign the iPhone “flashlight app” was a brilliant effort. Finally, I’d like to just throw this out there: Blue-e-ville.

7. Daniel
    1:08 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

I could have done without the people sitting behind me TALKING during the national anthem.

8. Kwildcat
    1:21 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

the fisher family is a big UofL supporter and, yes, I was embarrassed for him too. The mayor of West Liberty could have done a better job with the mic. Hey 7, get a grip we were all excited about this event which was special!! Miss Kentucky looked so hot singing it you couldnt help but mutter a few words. Outstanding national anthem.

9. Captain Obvious
    1:30 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

pros vs. joses……….hahahahaha

10. Pitino's Creepy Turtleneck
    1:39 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

The Louisville fan sitting next to me told his buddy that there was never a problem with the lights coming back on immediately during UVel introductions last season. Green looks bad on you little brothers.

Vaya Gatos!! 去猫

11. JDubbs1983
    1:45 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

MMMMM KFC Double Downs……..I think i want to puke now. That pretty much sums up the feelings I get when I walk in to that place.

12. Chad
    1:55 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

When the mayor said Chinese and mexicans both of my buddies and I just looked at each other. We just said did he just say mexicans? LOL It was so racist.

13. BlueFins
    2:16 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Well, I guess that means both games we play there in March will have be be played without lights. Jurich is such a *ock sucker!

If we can’t get him fired, we ought to make inquires to the CJ about how they perceived the mayors comments last night. Someone needs to be taken down, maybe it’s the UL graduate that is head of maintenance at YUM that needs to lose his job.

14. crackerhillbilly
    2:50 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

I live behind enemy lines in Louisville, but this was my first visit to the Chicken Hut. Not what I expected based on all the hype. Nice, but nowhere near a class-leading facility. Our mayor is a tool, as evidenced by his nothing short of Freudian racists slurs about World Fest attendees. The light issue was a joke. Still, all in all, a fun night that would have been better if the Pro Cats could just shoot.

15. i dont get it
    4:34 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

I dont understand how any can say it was racist, arent people from china called chinese and people from mexico called mexicans ? Would it be racist if he was to call me american ? i don’t think so.

16. UKBlue
    5:22 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Drew, I’m so glad you noticed the U of L fan behind the Dominican bench. I laughed at him the entire night. Someone forgot to tell him they didn’t have “Louisville” across their jerseys!

17. karma
    5:35 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

UK fans talk sh** about playing in YUM center, UK fans talk sh** about UL not being able to have legends game when it is completely irrelevant, Cal on personal mission to ‘paint the YUM center blue’ (obviously no ulterior motive there), former Cardinals silence Rupp Arena and pros/’legends’ lose two nights in row…sorry, but the plan backfired and it’s just pretty damn funny

18. Bill Curry
    6:28 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Seriously what jackwagon came up with that “sandwich”?? Maybe one of the dudes from the “Da Bears” skit on SNL?

19. mike
    7:06 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

I guess Matt is used to the private suites at Rupp…oh wait..they don’t have any

20. Drew Franklin
    9:53 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

17. How did the plan backfire? It was an unbelievable two nights of basketball that everyone enjoyed. The outcome of the basketball game was just a fraction of a detail of the big picture. The Pros could’ve lost by 80 and everyone still would’ve loved it.

And the former Cardinals didn’t silence the Pros in the second game at the Yum Center. The Dominican’s third-string reserves won that game and that’s still okay with us.