A few notes on a long post-holiday break Monday….
– For the first time this season and to no one’s surprise, Kentucky saw themselves fall in the college basketball polls. Thanks to a week with several top teams losing and an impressive victory over Washington prior to getting thumped by UConn, the fall as minimal. The Cats are ranked 10th by the AP and 11th in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll. Connecticut, thanks to that blitz of UK and a win over Michigan State, debuted at #7 and #9. Florida (#18 and #16) and Tennessee(#13 and #17) remain as the SEC’s only other ranked teams. Full polls here.
– Good news for those of you who like watching basketball with the sound on. Gus Johnson will call UK’s game with North Carolina on Saturday. He’ll have Clark Kellogg and his sweet glasses with him.
– A portion of the NFL world still continues to revolve around former Cat Steve Johnson and not for dropping the would-be game-winner yesterday against the Steelers. Everyone seems to have an opinion today on his Tweeting (Thurman Thomas offered his faith-based words…and still can’t find his helmet), which seems to be gaining him negative attention, but ESPN played his post-game press conferenc again and offered a different take. Jag-off John Buccigross called Johnson his favorite player for his heartfelt post-game performance and Adam Schefter gave the former UK star props for sticking up for his teammates and taking the blame. Kudos to him. Now, he might want to work on that God fella. Good news, though. I heard he’s pretty forgiving.
– With all four of the NBA D-League draftees with UK ties being cut prior to the season (Perry Stevenson was the latest), you might have felt a little stupid for buying that NBDL League Pass. But, fear not, as Antoine Walker has signed with the Idaho Stampede to play for former LSU foe Randy Livingston. It’s a tough way for Walker to forge a comeback but certainly a testament to his humility and willigness to make it back to the League. And, from what I understand, there are actually “fours” in the D-League. Shimmy on, Toine.
– One overlooked note from the weekend was the report that three-star linebacker Blake Terry is no longer a UK commitment. The choice was not Terry’s apparently as the UK staff told him that their scholarship offer was no longer valid. Needless to say, the young man is not exactly happy with the Kentucky staff right now.
-It’s been two days since the loss to Tennessee and the firing of Randy Shannon. Why do we still have no serious Wesley McGriff to Kentucky rumors? Not even un-serious ones. You guys are disappointing me. Rumors! Now!
– In case you missed the final episode of Kentucky Sports Radio without live streaming, you can check it out below. On this morning’s show, Matt and EZ talked bowl scenarios and TCU’s move to the Big East before Matt rubs his Maui trip all in your face with stories and insights from UK’s destination tournament. Take a listen below.