UK Opens New Dorms…and They are Insane

vwfzn.AuSt.79

Today UK opened their first set of dorms that are part of the public-private partnership to build new dorms on UK’s campus. This is apparently part one of changing all the dorms on campus over time and the buildings that took to the public today include 601 dorm rooms. All I can say is this…I went to Transy and the dorms were pretty nice. UK’s dorms back then were pretty mediocre to bad. But these…these look like luxury apartments. This isn’t the first or last time I will say this, but can I go back to college again? Check out the Herald Leader photo gallery for even more photos of these rooms that blow my mind (Temperpedic beds!):

1eRsN.AuSt.79 YEpfA.AuSt.79 6E0G7.AuSt.79 eGmpI.AuSt.79 m9DMS.AuSt.79 MG9pA.AuSt.79 1plNEi.AuSt.79

Article written by Matt Jones

40 Comments for UK Opens New Dorms…and They are Insane

1. Axe Cop
    5:55 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

BLANDING TOWER REPRESENT!

I can only imagine those are for honors students. I wonder how those rooms will look in a couple of years?

2. Yolo
    6:01 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

1, they’ll look the same minus the couches. They’ll be burned at least one between now and then…

3. UK student
    6:05 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

These dorms are for honor students.

4. lol
    6:05 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

A little better than the 16th floor of Kirwan Tower…

5. trey
    6:06 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

2) one can only hope

6. Sean
    6:06 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

#1 When I was there in the late 90’s, honors students got craptastic Boyd Hall with no A/C. Thanks UK!

7. Mark Liptak
    6:09 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

My God Haggin Hall was never like this!!! Friday the 23rd will be the 40th anniversary of me spending my first night on the UK campus as a freshman.

8. Nick
    6:12 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Kirwan Tower 3rd floor here, my God that place was a hell hole, and I loved every minute of it

9. Heisenberg
    6:21 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

8th floor Blanding Tower dont regret a moment but man these new dorms look nice.

10. UKBlue
    6:27 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Everything looks crazy except well the bunk beds.

11. Keeneland Hall
    6:28 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

It was about 104 degrees in Keeneland Hall when I moved in; we turned on our 3 fans that day, and turned them off the following May when we left that @^#&-hole of a dormitory.

These appear to be a bit of upgrade!

12. Blanding4
    6:34 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Lived in B4 it was closet with two awful beds inside. Unbelievably jealous nicer than my apartment!

13. Btowerofpower
    6:47 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

BLANDING TOWER REPRESENT !

14. lonnieb
    6:50 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

I would much rather them quit raising the price of school for more mediocre dorms

15. lesigh
    7:04 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Haggin Hall!!! …was crappy…

16. Tuition
    7:05 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

More excuses to keep raising the price of college and rip off students with shiny new buildings, especially in this case when tuition dollars are going to a private company and not contributing to the actual education that is supposed to be happening at Kentucky. Of course since UK is under-performing academically, it obviously makes sense to throw the students’ money away on dorms instead of doing something to actually reach that goal of “Top 20 Public University” that university leaders claim to aspire towards.

17. NO MATT JONES
    7:06 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

They tore down Haggin (the piece of shit I lived in for 2 years) to build this. I’m pretty butthurt about it. Plus my tuition keeps going up.

18. Jack Nicklaus
    7:10 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Blanding III…ah the memories. The new premium dorms are sweet and you have to pay about 20% more to stay there. But..Overlooking Blanding Beach was priceless!

19. BBN
    7:13 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

talk about blowing Krusty K-Tower outta the water…. 13th floor was never like this

20. brain
    7:22 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Looks better than Haggin Hall.

21. Way
    7:25 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

#16 are there any big boy pants around that u can put on? That is the whiniest sh!t I have ever read. The top 20 thing was so Lee Todd. News flash: he’s gone.

22. Jared Yonts
    7:37 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

My plumbing company plumbed those!

23. Drew Franklin
    7:44 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Matt would never take a class at UK.
    Je compares UK to Carribean Medical Schools

24. Jimmymack
    7:52 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

This is crap man! Holmes Hall, circa ’92, was nothing like this.

25. yup$10
    8:09 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Those are all great apartments, but what wasn’t reported is that those rooms will cost approximately $1000 a month. My sister is saving my parents $10k this year by simply moving out of campus and onto Red Mile Rd. It’s all nice but the nuance of it being amazing without consequence is being missed.

26. Frew Drunklin
    8:11 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

Keeneland Hall 96-98. No AC. It was awful. But good, fun times!

27. Thirsty Thursday
    8:17 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

K2 was my home frosh year at UK … a closet, pong table, and 2 beds. a bit jealous, but life was good!

28. cATSCATSCATS
    9:12 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

I stayed in Haggin as a freshman. Glad I can say I had it MUCH tougher than these kids.

29. bmt22033
    9:18 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

When I was at UK, I would’ve killed to live in a dorm like that! Now I look at that and think, “I’m so glad I’m not in college anymore!” 🙂

30. KTOWER
    9:51 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

#8. What year were you there? I was K-Tower 307

31. KYStout
    10:42 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

I used to work in the multi-family and student housing industry on projects like this throughout the Southeast. Projects just like this have been completed within the last three years at Clemson, Georgia Tech, Alabama, South Carolina and the nicest student housing I’ve ever seen at LSU called Woodlands of Baton Rouge.

32. BigBlueDrew
    11:45 pm August 16, 2013 Permalink

This doesn’t hold a flame to bring three feet from a complete stranger’s bare ass (Holla Kirwain Tower 16th floor, 2004)

33. CPACAT
    12:16 am August 17, 2013 Permalink

Haggin Hall ’87-88, ewwwww:(
    Blanding II 88-89 Courtside
    Blanding II 89-90 Beachside….doesn’t get any better than that!!!
    Man those were some lean basketball years!

34. Ferd
    3:42 am August 17, 2013 Permalink

I really just appreciate the ginger chick making her self comfy by bending herself over that bed. #tryitout

35. Oborojohn
    9:01 am August 17, 2013 Permalink

And people wonder why”education is underfunded”. Maybe they overspend what they have, just sayin

36. Memories
    9:12 am August 17, 2013 Permalink

Those look really nice but the one year I spent at Keeneland Hall with no A/C is still something I wouldnt change. It was the best and the worst at the same time. Good luck to the next class roughing it out up on North campus.

37. Ghost of Haggin Hall
    9:44 am August 17, 2013 Permalink

Boo

38. Funky Monkey
    10:27 am August 17, 2013 Permalink

This disparately needed! Checking out other University’s dorms for my kids, UK’s was the worst. If you went to UK, you know they hadn’t changed in the 30 years since I went there. While that kinda cool for memory sake, it actually blows. Eli Capilouto is the man I’m telling you. He looks like a total nerd, but he is the absolute best. He is getting it done on all fronts and quickly too. President Todd was stagnant big time and frankly slept at the wheel while the UofL Cards blew past us in facilities (as well as the other state schools). I’m Blue all the way, but that just a fact. Praise Eli !!! Great reporting Matt Jones my hero.

39. Ralphy
    11:02 am August 17, 2013 Permalink

Yay, another luxury apartment complex for kids of the wealthy. I will wager that everyone will pay a higher tuition!!

40. Hambone
    2:48 pm August 17, 2013 Permalink

7th Floor whore!!!! Kirwan Tower beotches!! Lived there for just a semester……because I got kicked out at the end of it for pulling a fire alarm. Was forced to live in Blanding III for three weeks at the end of the fall semester. Spring semester I had to crash on a couch in an apartment off Tates Creek Rd.