UK is flexing its muscles in the recruiting game

terrence-jones-flex

Kentucky still hasn’t signed a player from the 2012 high school class, but that doesn’t mean Calipari isn’t in good shape to lock up one of the top recruiting classes in the nation. Dave Telep of ESPN follows the recruiting game closer than anyone else in the business and he says Kentucky is making a run at the best class in the nation once again:

Kentucky is in the mix

Though we aren’t much closer to answering the question of who Kentucky is going to sign first, we know Big Blue is flexing its muscle this month. One of my recollections from the trip is Kentucky’s ability to get involved and John Calipari’s ability to make his presence felt in the gym. The Wildcats put the time in with Muhammad, Drummond and a host of others out west. They also managed to sneak onto Kaleb Tarczewski’s (Claremont, N.H./St. Mark’s) list despite the big man seemingly locking down his recruiting list before the month began. UK is also involved with a plethora of highly-regarded guys who weren’t even in Las Vegas. Something is brewing again in Lexington, and although they may not wind up having the nation’s best class, the Wildcats are going to make a run at it by recruiting as many prospects as they can.

It’s just a matter of time before they start coming in. Hang in there – it’ll all pan out soon.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

18 Comments for UK is flexing its muscles in the recruiting game

1. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    3:06 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

In Cal we trust….

2. iWantToGrowUpToBeTheDrewFranklin
    3:06 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

First..

3. iWantToGrowUpToBeTheDrewFranklin
    3:07 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

i spoke too soon. I just want a better class than IU…

4. Can't wait
    3:22 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

Poythress, Bazz, Coleman, Goodwin, Twarski(spelling) and throw in one other lesser ranked player and call it a class.

5. Al's Indycats
    3:25 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

I have no problem in waiting to see who Cal lines up to come to Lexington, like once everybody sees who coming, they’ll all want to be in the bluegrass

6. Han
    3:25 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

Assuming we lose Jones, Lamb, Teague, Gilchrist and Davis, plus Miller and Vargas, we only add Harrow right now. That’s six other holes, 5 of them sure contributors from this year’s squad.

So Cal probably takes 4-5 guys, depending on how he feels about 2013, and given the way he’s been recruiting, it’s a good bet he’ll still pull in the number 1 class.

All this assumes no two-year rule. If there is one, then we only lose Miller, Vargas, and probably Jones and Lamb.

7. SweetTeaMob til I DIE
    3:30 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

6. Don’t forget about Twany and Poole. I’d say both will be big contributors in the 2012 season. Also Hood if he gets healthy.

8. SweetTeaMob til I DIE
    3:31 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

2012-2013, that is.

9. SweetTeaMob til I DIE
    3:35 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

Also Witjer, assuming he stays for a second year.

10. UKFanInCincy
    3:40 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

SO how long are we talking before someone commits? Days, weeks, months????????

11. Shuger
    3:41 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

There are a million things to worry about in life, but Cal recruiting while at UK is not one of them. First time I’ve ever truly felt that way, even during the Pitino years. And it’s bloody true.

12. BhamJ
    3:53 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

10. I still think the NBA lockout will have to play out before we know for sure. If I am a 5 star player, I want to know if UK is going to be stacked next year, or if I have a chance to start.

13. Blueburg
    4:13 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

Mitch McGary- enough said.

14. Mr. T's Mohawk
    5:31 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

No one can sign till November, just sayin’.

15. tyrus
    5:37 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

kaboom

16. mic the 1
    5:40 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

I think we haven’t had any early commits because of how loaded we are at every position besides pg and thats why we got the harrow commitment. The NBA lockout and the whole CBA thing is def. a huge reason why kids aren’t committing to us just yet……if they want to come to lex and play for UK they’re gonna have to wait and let everything iron out before committing….well be fine.

17. Hicks
    10:07 pm July 28, 2011 Permalink

I have no idea but here’s my guess for ’12 assuming nothing changes with the new CBA and we lose 6 or 7 guys next year. PG- Harrow SG- (either Ledo or Goodwin, they seem to be the elite and the only shooting guards Cal is recruting heavily) SF- Cal wants Shabazz but he doesn’t seem really confident so we’ve been hearing alot about Poythress, T.J. Warren, and Devonta Pollard which are probably the next best three after Shabazz. One of those you would think would be the replacement if we can’t get Shabazz. PF- there are an enormous amount of quality big men and you can tell by how differently they’re all ranked by each recruting service. We are in with so many of them, Drummond, Coleman, Tarcewszki, Ellis, Ashley, McGary, just to name a few. There’s absolutely no way Cal doesn’t pick up at least one and assuming Wiltjer comes back then the starting front court would be set. Add another solid big man or two for depth, and to go along with Poole, Hood, Twany and the rest and we have a very good team.

In other words we have nothing to worry about we are in with all the top guys and even the guys right below them. None of the tops guys have even committed yet and I wouldn’t expect most of them too until they get some kind of idea of what is going to happen with the NBA. If we’re worried than everyone else should be terrified because no one really has a good class yet. At this point the top classes like IU and UNC have signed guys ranked 25 and above. I’d rather just wait on the big boys and see what they do before I get worried.

18. mark emmert
    11:10 am July 29, 2011 Permalink

[email protected] email mark emmert right now