UK Hoops gets tough win over South Carolina, 66-58

After trailing by one at halftime, the ninth-ranked women’s team pulled off a big win on the road over #24 South Carolina, 66-58. Keyla Snowden was the top scorer, with 15 points, followed by Samarie Walker with 8. Sophomore Maegan Conwright went down hard in the second half and had to be taken to the locker room. She later returned with three stitches in her head. Now that is awesome.

The ladies, now 16-2 and 5-0 in SEC play, head to Georgia to take on the Bulldogs on Thursday. You go, girls.

27 Comments for UK Hoops gets tough win over South Carolina, 66-58

1. first
    5:15 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

2. UK Rifle >>> WVU Rifle
    5:15 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

We need to get BBN out in force for the game against the Gators next sunday in Memorial!

3. BleedingBlueInTexas
    5:17 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

Wow…..girls basketball. Almost as much fun to watch as a root canal.

4. Cat in the ATL
    5:21 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

3. If you don’t care, why do you open up the page to post? Your opinion… I’d rather have a root canal than read it.

5. UK Rifle >>> WVU Rifle
    5:23 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

If you use the handle BleedingBlue, why not nut up and get behind a UK team, especially one that is winning and may be Top 5 when this weeks rankings come out.

6. UofLOL
    5:28 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

IU getting exposed for the frauds they are. Down 35-14 at half. With the refs at Assembly “cheatum” Hall, this team is a joke. Clappy the Clown their coach is a moron.

7. Ktmiln2
    5:29 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

3. Thank you. Your comments have been noted and placed in the Internet archives.

8. Cat
    5:32 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

#3 Why don’t you come to Ky & I’ll show you a root canal, your own. Better yet, why don’t you stay in Texas. We don’t want (supposedly BleedingBlue) fans like you in Ky.

9. jpgott2
    5:39 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

I love watching this team. That is the first time I have ever said that about women’s basketball, but not only are they wearing the UK uniform, they are playing an exciting brand of ball. Coach Mitchel’s ‘High Octane’, push them past their limits style, is quite entertaining. He embodies everything a UK coach, especially basketball, should possess, and he is just a great person to go with it.

Keep it up.

10. Bledsoe's Biceps
    5:45 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

Way to go ladies. UK trying to outdo Baylor with their men’s & women’ss basketball success. Now if we could just Baylor’s recent football success.

11. High Point Cat Fan
    5:46 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

Sorry, #3, but I disagree with your comment wholeheartedly. This team is as exciting a WBB team around. Before you pass judgment on the game, try going to one and get caught up in the hoopla of U K Hoops. This team is now poised to be in the top five in the nation, and deserves it!

I was able to see today’s game online at the USC Athletics site, and the Cats came back from nine down with ten to go to win by playing good defense and hitting clutch shots and free throws. Great win on the road, and congratulations to Coach Mitchell and the team for such a gritty performance. This team is for real, and should be applauded for their accomplishments as they move through the rest of the schedule. Go Big Blue!!!!

12. Wildcat44
    5:52 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

Another awesome road win for our Ladies. Lets go to UGA and kick some Bulldog butt!!!

13. gacatfan
    5:55 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

Great win Lady Cats, now come on down to Georgia and whip some Lady DAWGs. Coach Mitchell’s coaches show is one of the most entertaining anywhere.

14. Darius Miller's Defenders
    6:08 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

#3-Think before you post.

15. UK Rifle >>>> WVU Rifle
    6:35 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

High Point Cat Fan, was it link? Had to listen on radio with no visual feed. If you have access please post links for future games.

Thanks!

ps, still getting no love from ESPN or the polls. We beat Dook, and they still have them ranked ahead of us. BBN must now dominate ESPN comment sections!

16. BleedingBlueInTexas
    6:39 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

#8. Interesting rant with some obvious hints of your individual prowess as a man. In my very humble opinion, and I have attended more WBB than probably most on here (in fact I live in the same city as the current NCAA WBB Champions), and attended every home game last year (and most this year)…..it is still “my opinion”.

As a UK Alum, class of ’80, I have bled blue since watching Adolph Rupp prowl the sidelines. With that said…..WBB just doesn’t do it for me.

If you enjoy it……more power to you! I’ll be there defending your right to cheer!

17. Truth
    6:42 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

UK chick in that pick looks like a dude.

18. test
    6:58 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

test

19. UK Rifle >>>> WVU Rifle
    7:09 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

BleedingBlue, Nice slam on the A&M team – I was at the game in Indy last spring when they beat Notre Dame, were you?

I am old enough to have shared a bowl of chili with Rupp at Brookings and known all the coaches since – Joe B was at the last UK women’s game BTW

Point is, if you do not like women’s basketball that is your opinion, but the point being made was why bother to open the thread in the first place and go negative on positive UK news. If you are class of 80 did you bother to see Valerie Still play while you were at UK?

20. mashburnfan1
    7:22 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

And beating USC on the road is a great win. USC has some good wins this year, beat at least 2 top 20 teams, and their record is 14-4, or something like that now.

21. BleedingBlueInTexas
    7:23 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

19. You mean THE Valerie Still, who was married to the one and only Rob Locke, he of the mysterious losing of 2 inches in the flight from California…..you mean the Valerie Still, the ALL TIME leading scorer in UK Basketball history? Do you mean THAT Valerie Still?

Nope wasn’t in Indy mine blue brethren….but I was in St. Louis…..we’re you there? You remember St. Louis….don’t you?

Glad to hear Coach Hall enjoys his chili with you and also glad to hear that he attends women’s sporting events. I guess I just need to state again for the record……glad you enjoy it. Personally I do not. Why does that seem to upset you so?

And! Yes I am Class of 80….and you are? LOL….I once worked with the “blond bomber”….. Does that mean mine is bigger than yours? LOL!

22. Holler Baller
    7:47 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

Great job ladies, we are proud of you!

23. John
    7:55 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

I went to this game because my wife is a Tennessee Lady Vols fan. While the game was a little sloppy, it eneded in a remarkable fashion. Incredibly exciting and I would root for a UK chess team. GO CATS!!

24. foodstampprez
    8:17 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

girls with balls…skip

25. Tampa Satchel
    8:42 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

21-My guess is aging military with his pants on a bit too tight. No need to bad mouth the ladies. Your mom probably told you about keeping negative comments to yourself. It’s good advice.

26. UK Fan
    11:17 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

This team is unlike ANY women’s basketball team I’ve ever seen. Everyone needs to take away an pre-conceived notions of women’s basketball because Mitchell’s Cats play high octane, exciting, and fun to watch basketball. Everyone on the team, coaches incldued, embody everything UK fans love. They’re exciting, funny, personable, passionate, and just flat out good at basketball. They are having an amazing season so far and need the city of Lexington’s full support.
    Keep it up ladies!

27. UK Rifle >>>> WVU Rifle
    1:58 am January 16, 2012 Permalink

BleedingBlue,

Checkerdome in 78, like yesterday. Yes that one, did you attend a game back then when Valerie played?

I remember Jay, Gettlefinger, and the rest of that crew as well

You do not upset me, just curious why you feel compelled to go negative when there is no need. If you are an 80’s guy, that means you are in your 50’s and are to old to be trolling. My question is why you feel the need to reply to a thread when you have no clue what has gone on in Memorial. If you bleed blue, you don’t pick and choose. You support the Cats no matter what sport they are playing.