UK Football’s New High Performance Workouts

You may have heard some of Kentucky’s recent commitments and recruits talking about some of Mark Stoops’ latest technology and ideas when it comes to workouts. WildcatsTV has some footage of the UK linemen’s workout in the “High Performance Program.” The program is described by director Erik Korem as as being “very different than most places you’ll go see.” The training is designed to focus on multiple aspects from physical to mental to technical and even tactical. A combination of staff from sports medicine, strength and conditioning, sports psychology and the football coaches are all on the same page to maximize performance in these workouts. “It’s a well thought out plan.”
“Coach Stoops is way ahead of the curve, and I’m really excited about where we’re going with this and the technology we’ve brought here.”

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

25 Comments for UK Football’s New High Performance Workouts

1. Baby Jesus
    6:03 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

So you are saying this workout is better than my power walking in the mall?

2. WestWorld
    6:05 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Awesome video. KY Football ahead of the curve. There’s something I don’t think I’ve heard before.

3. JC
    6:11 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

With a staunch and consistent record of heterosexuality…that really turned me on. Can’t wait until spring practice.

4. Richard Simmons
    6:33 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Those guys look like they need to lay off the ho ho’s. Way too tubby for SEC players. What was joker thinking?

5. Debbie
    6:44 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Stoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Brad
    6:46 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

The Prowler (black sled) will make you puke really fast. The low position is the worst. I like what I am seeing.

7. UKBlue
    6:58 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Stoops & the boys aren’t messing around; about time we had coaches that know what they are doing. These boys are way out of shape; thank God Joker & his gang of idiots are gone. These football coaches need to work with the basketball kids next year to get them in better shape.

8. INCatFan
    7:02 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

DOING WORK!!!!!!!! Awesome job guys!!! I can’t wait to see Commonwealth Stadium packed to the brim and cheering for these guys!! GO CATS!!!!

9. UKBlue
    7:09 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Someone needs to pull some strings and get Chester into one of UK F-Ball practices.

10. Roll Tide
    7:24 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

These lazy hoggers are in for a long spring! Stoops & his staff are going to make them men!

11. jaaaaayyyyy
    7:40 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Made me tired just watching.

12. Georgia Cat
    8:07 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Don’t know if they can play football, but they would be a great help moving my furniture

13. Twin Condiments
    8:09 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

There is a Big Blue storm on the horizon… be ready. They are about to bring on the Boom Boom!

14. Arnold's bicep
    8:09 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Nothing really new & innovative. Periodization,nuitrition, plyos, etc. been around for decades. Good sound bites & video for recruiting.

15. GoForIt
    8:22 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Think about this video the next time you do not want to go a game because we will not win. This is 6 AM in the winter! Players need support.

16. Lou Ferrigno
    8:23 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I love the last line on the video: ‘Enjoy the pain, smile and get ready for the next set’. So excited about 2012 football season!

17. big blue
    8:36 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

When is the ice cream truck showing up?

18. ken
    8:44 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#16- 2013*

19. Brian Williams
    9:52 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

This is what this program has been missing someone to come in and Coach up these boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My son included, this is your dad! I would love to be in your shoes and play for the cats, keep up the good work it takes a true team that Believes it can win Championships!!!!! Now go and shock the world, with hard work like this it can be done! Just Believe!!!!!!

20. JBR
    9:57 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I wish that these coaches could have gotten a hold of Poythress and Wiltjer before the basketball season started…wouldn’t be quite as soft now.

21. Uk3k_j
    10:02 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I love the intensity! I haven’t said his in a while…”is it football season yet?”

22. Karen & Ken Shrader
    10:11 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Fantastic video! Great to see the inner workings of the football program & the excitement it is generating for the upcoming season. Go Cats!

23. Greg
    10:13 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I like it! Looks like a crossfit inspired workout. The sled is horrible.

24. UKAlum
    10:30 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

As a CSCS who was an intern strength coach at UK before graduating, this has been in the works for a while. Almost every team is using crossfit style functional movements and circuits on their workouts now. That’s why you’re seeing so much prowler work and kettlebell swings in the video. The hard part is figuring out a way to periodize all of these high intensity high volume workouts into a pre season plan without causing burnout or overtraining. They had it pretty well figured out as of December when I left.

25. fireants25
    8:37 pm February 28, 2013 Permalink

tha black coach was the shit just kept screaming out them and telling them how bad they’re doing lol love it