UK Football Team Continues its Training

These guys are working and I am getting more and more pumped for something I never cared about one bit…Spring Practice in Kentucky!

Article written by Matt Jones

18 Comments for UK Football Team Continues its Training

1. Rerun
    9:34 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

What I like about this staff is their consistency. It looks like they ran the same exact drills and said the same exact words to the same exact players as they did in the video you showed us yesyerday. Amazing…

2. Rerun
    9:35 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

First. ‘yesterday’

3. Uncle Jesse
    9:37 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

My question is – is this different from the previous staff’s spring practice/drill techniques? Since we’ve not seen video’s of the previous team’s stuff, it makes me wonder if this is radically different stuff this year or “par for the course”. Anyone know?

4. Rockfield, KY
    9:47 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

This staff just knows how to sell a program better than the previous. None of us know if these drills are different because the previous staff never thought to use videos like these as a selling point.

5. Charlie Strong
    9:47 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

I don’t want to see any FAKE JUICE! John Hood looks good in the shuttle drill.

6. Goober
    9:48 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

Tyler already posted this Matt.

7. Rae
    9:48 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

3. Hey, we’re at least seeing it. It reminds me of switching from BCG to Cal. Cal is very open and communicative while BCG was not. Stoops might not be as elite as Cal, but he’s certainly jumping in with the same philosophy toward the fans and program.

8. Honky Kong
    9:56 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

I like the video. I liked the same video yesterday too.

9. UKfan89
    10:02 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

I love what the current staff is doing. With that said, click the link above to see UK football offseason workouts from 2 years ago…they worked pretty hard too. I think the difference with these coaches will be in football fundamentals, and improving the players’ overall mentality to be competitive players. I also think that the current staff will be miles ahead with their off/def schemes, and recruiting. Go Cats

10. NL
    10:16 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

3- Probably not, but is there really that much different that can be done? Its conditioning not practice. There is only so many ways you can make players do sprints.

11. Irrational UK FAN
    10:24 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

We do this every year. Get excited about “how hard these guys are working”, “they are bigger and stronger and faster than ever”.
    Give me a break. NOT ONE WINNING SEC RECORD IN LAST 30+ years.

12. bddfromcincy
    10:49 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

@10. Yes, it is conditioning with an emphasis on thing that can affect technique and fundamental footbal. It’s not just getting bigger, faster and stronger for the sake of getting bigger, faster and stronger. For example, pay attention to the hoop drills. This helps with pass rush technique and coming off the edge. This drill has been used by the pros and other elite college teams for years.

13. Ryne
    11:05 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

Are they going to sell upper deck tickets??

14. JJ
    11:09 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

These videos show me one thing, that the culture of the program has changed dramatically. I used to work for the team during the last two Rich Brooks years and the first year and a half of Joker’s tenure. These winter conditioning practices, usually held around 7:00 am, were always uninspiring. I would see a majority of the players just half-way doing it to get through the drill and the morning to get to breakfast. They didn’t work hard in these practices, and the coaches didn’t really seam to question their intensity. I figured I could push harder than these college athletes were working. Sure these videos are edited to look good, but it would have taken hours upon hours of film back in the day to make up a video with players pushing this hard and coaches getting in the trenches and doing the drills with the players. I am constantly surprised at how motivating Coach Stoops and his staff are. They seem to expect greatness from their players, and nothing else is acceptable. With Brooks and Philips it was kind of like “well this is what we have to work with, hopefully they’ll just try their best.” Now it’s as if their former “best” isn’t good enough. Now you have to prove to the coaching staff that you belong in the SEC, and these players are reacting tremendously to the challenge and showing they belong. This the kind of kick in the butt this program needed.

15. Uncle Jesse
    11:27 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

I for one like the videos. The intensity shown from both the players and staff is getting me fired up!

16. Stone
    11:38 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

Well put #14!

17. Yep
    12:13 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Thanks 14. I was wondering what the difference was. As some pointed out, there are only so many ways to run sprints, but there are many ways to motivate the players to run and work harder. Would love to hear from some of the players comparing last year to this year.

18. UK football fan
    12:22 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Thank you Coach Stoops for everything.