UK football season tickets sales: 2009 vs. 2012

This is the KSR research team’s attempt at creating a visual of season tickets sales in 2009 compared to season ticket sales for the upcoming 2012 season. Now, before you disprove the team’s hard work and design for its inaccuracy, please take into consideration that the KSR research team has no experience or background in research and/or design. These diagrams were created with mental math, minimal effort, and mediocre photoshop skills in an attempt to provide a visual of the disparity in season tickets over the past four seasons.

As of Sunday, UK had sold 35,486 season tickets, down 27% from 2011 and down 37% from the record 56,440 when the season started in 2009, according to a report from the Herald-Leader. UK has seen sales drop in each of the past three seasons, but this year’s 27% plunge is more than twice as much as the drops in 2010 and 2011.

Discuss.

Article written by Drew Franklin

76 Comments for UK football season tickets sales: 2009 vs. 2012

1. Joe
    11:45 am July 27, 2012 Permalink

Might as well play on Henry Clay’s football field. Fill the stands…

2. best1978
    11:48 am July 27, 2012 Permalink

Not to split hairs but my guess is that the 56,000 in 2009 was not by the 3rd week in July.

3. I
    11:50 am July 27, 2012 Permalink

“UK spokesman Dewayne Peevy attributes the decline in season ticket sales to the economy, the new television package, and the performance on the field.”

The Economy and new TV package has absolutely nothing to do with it. They just suck. If they had a chance at going to a bowl this year and win 8 games while doing it, more people would fill the seats.

4. John Tummelson
    11:53 am July 27, 2012 Permalink

Don’t forget K-Fund “donations” this really drives down the true value of the ticket because with a little savvy one can go and find tickets at or slightly above list price and avoid the forced donation. Call me a bad fan for not liking the forced donation, but it’s simple economics and until college institutions (not juts Kentucky) realize the true lack of respect it shows to loyal fans there will be those that simply find a way to attend games for less money. Not just a sign of the times, it’s called being fiscally responsible. Go Cats! I still have my season tickets by the way… and yes I feel like a sucker for paying the donation, but my family really likes the seats.

5. SeaCat
    11:53 am July 27, 2012 Permalink

Nice visual.
    Joker is doomed

6. BravoBigBlue
    11:53 am July 27, 2012 Permalink

Operation Win = Joke(r)

7. JokerBlows
    11:54 am July 27, 2012 Permalink

Well, the survey on HL states that 89% think its the poor performance….so if UK, Barnhardt don’t take their heads out of the sand and do something once and for all….the trend will continue.
    I’m with #3…if UK had a competitive team and solid coaching they could jack the prices up and sell it out. Fans are just sick of it.

8. BravoBigBlue
    11:56 am July 27, 2012 Permalink

I really believe we’ve seen the last of Kentucky football fans acting like sheep. Mitch blew this hire also. If not for the Coach Cal hire, Mitch would have been fired after the Billy G fiasco.

9. TurleyCurd
    12:01 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

It’s Dwight Peevy, not Dewayne.

10. Robin
    12:01 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

It isn’t just the poor performance it is that there is no expectation that this year will be different from last year. Same coaches, same schemes, same players, and no reason to think we will be any better. You could have the same economy and same television packages, but if you changed the name of the head coach from “Joker Phillips” to “Mike Leach” all of a sudden people would have hope again and we probably would have sold more season tickets than last year.

11. CatGrad7072
    12:05 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Economy, my foot!
    Like many people have said, the product is bad.
    Do you think a restaurant would stay open after one year of crappy food, not to mention two?
    If the movie is terrible, you probably leave in the middle (I know, ‘bad movie-goer’). You certainly don’t buy the DVD when it comes out.

12. Holler Baller
    12:06 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Pretty simple why I didn’t renew my tickets:
    1. Increased prices
    2. Increased parking fees to tailgate
    3. Mainly, as much as I love UK football I get tired of watching them lose

I hope Joker and the team prove me wrong this year.

13. blah, Blah, Blah
    12:06 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Dewayne Peevy can blow all the smoke he’s paid to blow. I’m not buying any of it. Tickets aren’t selling because of the product. If “it’s the economy stupid”, we should be seeing similar declines at UofL,UT, and other schools with similar demographics. Are we? I don’t think so, I’d love to see a comparison.

14. Season Ticket Holder
    12:12 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Attribute it to what you want, crappy team, economy whatever. Thats simply not the case. The ticket prices are too high. Thats the problem. Add to that the team is not any good and why would anyone buy the tickets. On average I pay $60 per ticket per game (kfund donation included). In reality its not worth it for me to spend that. I could go to the Kent state, western, and samford games for $10 a ticket (or less). vanderbilt/mississippi state for $20 (max) and south carolina/georgia for face value at worst.

So in reality no its not worth it at all to buy season tickets. I simply do it because I like supporting the university. Its not smart at all and I completely understand why people dont buy them. Their prices for a below average product dont satisfy anyone.

15. Season Ticket Holder
    12:17 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

The other thing I have never understood is why when a team stinks wouldnt they cut the prices in half. Wouldnt it be better to sell out 60K seats at $20 a ticket rather than 30K at $40 a seat? I’ve never understood the thinking behind this. Sure its the same amount of money but #1 you are increasing attendance, which sells t-shirts, concessions etc.. #2 you are getting a team excited to play in front of a packed house every week. Minor league baseball teams have it down pat, cheap tickets = full stands = cash out on concessions and souveneirs. Not sure why this isnt rethought. Just because you are in the SEC doesnt mean you dont have to try.

16. Big Blue Coming at You
    12:17 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

It is directly related to performance on the field. Everything else is an excuse. There will always be fans that don’t by tickets for other reasons but the large percentage is due to on-field product. Mitch just can’t give the keys to the program to an inexperienced, mediocre head coach and expect fans to pack the house when we struggle to beat Sun-belt teams.

17. St. Paul Raiders
    12:17 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

I agree with what most have said here, but what do you expect them to say? “We know the football program blows goats but give us your money anyway!” They have to put a little (read: a lot) of spin on it. That should be expected. However, the bottom line is that there are MAJOR issues with the UK football program. Some are in Mitch and Joker’s hands and some are not. There isn’t a single solution that will solve everything. Rather, there are several issues that need to be addressed before the program can take any real steps forward.

18. Louisville Bats
    12:22 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Sorry, with “UK Fan Day” we tried to assist in the sales of football tickets. The market has spoken.

19. thenamerobdigity
    12:31 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

I believe Peevy was correct. It is a combination of all 3. Performance is the biggest part, but the other 2 play a big role too.

20. Rotney
    12:42 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

UH, UL, LSU, FLA in the same year helped 2009 also dipshiets

21. Bobbysueflay
    12:44 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Wait till after this season and see how bad it will get

22. Rotney
    12:45 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

So many racist haters, Joker will be fine and he has been great at UK, just ha da down year on offense after relying on Cobb so much in the past. This year will be different. If Smith would have started all last year we would have been bowl eligible.

23. Rotney
    12:46 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

F M. Leach. He is a mumme idiot and want no part of him. If you know any football you know he’s not the answer.

24. acc210
    12:49 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

I was a season ticket holder when we were bad and when we were going to bowls. My income hasn’t changed that much since then either. What changed is the K Fund donation. I support UK and will go to games. However it’s just not financially smart to buy season tickets. I’d rather buy parking passes from scalpers and tailgate and watch the games from the parking lot while drinking and eating with friends than pay UK $1000 to watch a crappy product against crappy teams. I can go to the games I want, tailgate for others and in the end save money. UK Athletics can blame the product on the field, the economy, or whatever else, but they need to look in the mirror because the blame falls on them and their ridiculous K Fund donations. They took advantage of us when UK was going to bowl games every year and people hated it, but paid because we were winning. Now, people hate it and the product isn’t good so people just walked away.

25. Rotney
    12:50 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

#15 those mini packs are essentially doing that taking the KFUND out of equation and I bet the tickets are cheaper also. I kept 2 seats not 4 because last years rate hike for KFUND and tickets really hurt me in a fixed income job as a teacher. Has nothing to do with the coach, IF you love UK and love UK Sports you buy tickets, it funds entire athletic program.

26. WKYDUDE
    12:53 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Why should fans support a product that neither the university nor the state senate support??? Once the state government and university start supporting the football team, I’ll fall in line. I’m actually surprised 30K tix have been sold.

27. Turk
    1:07 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Gee, come in worse than average in every facility and coaching quality ranking and spending category in SEC football land, alienate fans with unrealistic expectation accusations, then mix in a heaping helping of just dont give a hoot and the AD gets to enjoy the results. Basketball ticket holders haven’t even begun to get squeezed to make up for this growing shortfall yet. Reap what you sow I guess.

28. BlueMark
    1:15 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

I agree with 26. Why should I give a flip about the football program when it is plain for anyone to see that the University and the legislature do not? I have suffered through losing seasons since Jerry Claiborne was the coach, and every year we hear the same old song and dance, that “this year will be better.” Well, that promise has come true only about 4 times in the 30+ years I have been going to games, and 3 of those were under Rich Brooks. The program had great momentum coming into Brooks’ retirement, and with a good coach could have cemented itself as part of the middle of the pack in the conference within a couple of years. Instead, they handed the keys to the Porsche to a 16-year-old with no experience, and the results have been predictable. All the administration had to do was hire a good coach while there was momentum available to convince one to come. Instead, they made an incredibly dumb decision with the whole “coach-in-waiting” thing. I said it was dumb then, and have been proven right. The program will, after this season, have been set back a decade – or more. Even if Joker is fired, who will want the job? Ticket sales are down, fan support is down, the legislature and University have come out publicly and said that there is no financial or political support for much needed new facilities, and the SEC just got tougher by two teams. Just another brilliant move by Mitch Barnhart, who seems to think we care about softball, tennis and rifle enough to forgive his complete failure with respect to the biggest cash cow in the department.

29. 3cats
    1:20 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

As a UK fan I will support Joker as long as he is the coach, The players need our support win are lose as we have in the the past. UK fans have always supported lower proformace teams in the past.. Why are we now not supporting them? We have always been a Basketball 1st fan base and followed the B-team everywhere, so its not the economy or Tv. To many of my friend, not UK fans it looks like history for the reason of not supporting Joker. I hope this is not the case. We need to get our butts in the stands. Blue And White! If I were a High School football player and seen this shi* I would not play for you.

30. MachoCat
    1:22 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

LOL.
    What a Joke.
    Let’s be REALLY CLEAR. B A R N H A R T has no Idea how to make this UK foorball program a success.
    Making olympic sports better is complete diff than football and Basketball. Billy G showed even UK can and WILL SUCK with out the proper foundation = COACH. So how in the [email protected] is football any different. JOKER IS NOT THE ANSWER Barnfart and you know it. Take your Pride and throw it away. Pay some CASH get a coach and the recruits will follow, the fans will support, the program will win THEN AND ONLY THEN will funds become available for better Facilities for the Football program.
    YOU ARE an idiot if you actually believe the facilities will draw top recruites to come and play for a piss poor coaching staff….. PERIOD!!!!

Get your head out of your [email protected]

31. Cats
    1:22 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

The people have spoken

32. Wait!!
    1:25 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

When did we start selling our seats to North Carolina fans? Where’s the UK Blue??

33. DDT
    1:28 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Reporter: Joker, what do you say about the lack of fan support and them calling for your job.

Joker: I don’t have TIME to think about that. I’m getting my football team ready…..and looking for another job and house so back off. I suck ok.But I got paid 1.7 mil so who is the realy fooool sucka..

34. FlipperCat
    1:32 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

So let me understand….you guys want a top notch program, with great players and great coaches, playing great teams every game, and then you will fill the place up? The hard fact is it takes a LOT of money to be competitive with the other schools in the SEC. Why? Because the FANS at those schools value football and spend a whole lot more of their money making donations and buying season tickets. Most athletic budgets are primarily funded with football – because of the ability to sell 70 – 100K season tickets and require donations. If you want a top notch program with everything great, then donate the money and buy the season tickets. If the place is half empty because the fans don’t show up, how will it ever change? Even in 2009 the place still didn’t sell out, and that’s after arguable the most productive 5 years since the 1950’s. Our overall revenue is up significantly since Mitch was hired. And an increased budget means better facilities, better coaches, and utlimately better programs. All of those things are good for the entire athletic department. #28 – a lot of us DO care about the other sports, and I would hardly call a string of bowl appearances followed by a couple of sub-par seasons a complete failure. Football is by far the hardest sport to break into the elite, especially in this conference. So if you want the football program to be successful, bailing out will NOT make it happen. We used to be a great football fan base, and we’ve now become of bunch of whiners that want everything to be right or we won’t help. The players deserve better – even if you disagree with who the head coach is. And for the record, I’m not a huge Joker fan either, but I do love the university and will support it by spending some money and showing up to cheer for our players wearing the UK jersey.

35. Common Sense
    1:32 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Way to go you piece of $h!t fans. Buy your season tickets like you have for the past 10, 15, or 20 years. TRUE FANS ALWAYS GO TO GAMES NO MATTER HOW BAD THE TEAM IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Honky Kong
    1:39 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Alabama = Lexus ……. UK = Yugo.
    People don’t buy Yugos.

37. Common Sense
    1:42 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

You just called us racist and then you said that smith is the better QB…..so you are racist too with your logic.

38. Beavis
    1:45 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

# 22 Was waiting for someone to pull the racist card. When you have no argument that you can support,,,,,it must be a racist thing. Tool of a weak mind. You are better than that.

39. Hokey Pete
    1:50 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

UK’s in a tough spot–ticket prices need to be high enough to generate revenue, but not so high that people stop buying them when the team struggles. The team looked so bad at times last year that I certainly understand why fans have a hard time shelling out for tickets, parking passes, etc. UK football’s struggles extend far beyond the head coach. I think UK football can be successful–and by successful I mean competing for the SEC East title 3 out of every 5 years, with decent seasons in between–but fundamental, systemic changes need to be made. I do not believe the current athletics administration has what it takes to make those changes.

40. ActuallyOnPar
    1:50 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

#34, FlipperCat: I agree with just about everything you wrote, except for: “and I would hardly call a string of bowl appearances followed by a couple of sub-par seasons a complete failure.” I take exception with the statement that the last two seasons were “sub-par.”

Unfortunatley, most fans don’t seem to grasp that the last two seasons weren’t “sub-par” at all based on the history of UK football. In fact, the last two seasons were actually on-par or even slightly above the historical rate of wins/losses.

I know the team wasn’t competitive in several games last year, and all the fans were disappointed and disheartened by those performances. But, for fans to think that UK football going 6-6 and 5-7 is somehow a complete failure simply ignores the reality of UK football in the SEC.

41. Greg
    1:51 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Why does everyone complain about our stadium, our facilities and our lack of competitiveness but yet try and find ways out of giving to the K-Fund? You do understand what the athletic fund is for right…? If you love Kentucky and want football to be good, give some money. I don’t disagree forking over 2k sucks but compare what our season ticket cost is compared to other places in the SEC. You pay it one way or the other. It takes money to be successful and turn it into wins. Period.

42. Beavis
    1:57 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

# 40 Agree with you. 6 and 6 is not a complete failure,,,,however,,,nothing wrong with the fans wanting more. There are going to be fans that want 10 and 2 ,, 9 and 3 every year,,,,heck I am one of them.

43. Common Sense
    2:02 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Completely agree
    Also agree. We went 5-7 last season and broke one of the ugliest losing streaks in football, yet all the fans seem to remember ALL the bad things about last season.

44. Mitch Rapp
    2:03 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

I dont think its just the losses, but also due to Joker’s bland, predictable style of play, and the overall vibe he gives that he is way in over his head. He lacks the ability to inspire confidence in the players and fans.

At least we didnt get a stupid pre-season slogan this year like: “Operation Win” (which was followed by a 6-6 season) or “Rise” (5-6 season–which was a “Fall” from the year before).

What should this years slogan be: “Staying home”?

45. ActuallyOnPar
    2:08 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

And, before I could post my #40 comments, we get Hokey Pete saying that the measure of successful for UK football should be “competing for the SEC East title 3 out of every 5 years, with decent seasons in between . . . .”

So, the measure is that UK consistently compete with, and in more cases than not beat Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina – not even counting new entrant Missouri and an improving Vandy.

UK hasn’t been within 2 games of winning the SEC east in 30 years, and now the measure is competing for the SEC East title more often than not? That is unreasonable and delusional thinking given the reality of UK football within the SEC.

And, I know the response will be something along the lines of: “It is that mediocre thinking that keeps UK from competing.” No, it is the lack of recruiting base and history at UK (which has resulted in worse results and thus fewer dollars and facilities) coupled with an abundance of those things at its competitors.

46. ThankfulCat
    2:12 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

#22

Are you really stupid enough to play the race card?

Didn’t you learn your lesson from Tubby? Tubby leaving had nothing to do with race and everything to do with his coaching ability as the good people of Minnesota have already found out.

Joker is not an SEC caliber football head coach.

It’s not because he is black

It is because he is a lousy coach

47. JLivermore
    2:19 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Obviously the performance doesn’t help matters, but what I think what has gone overlooked is how pathetic the non-conference home games have become.

Here are last year’s non-conference home games: Western Kentucky (if you call Nashville a home game), Central Michigan, Jacksonville State, Louisville

Compare that to the 1976 non-conference home game schedule: Oregon State, West Virginia, Penn State

Or more recently 1989: Indiana, North Carolina, Rutgers, Cincinnati

Padding your record on the strength of a pathetic non-conference schedule only works for so long. Eventually, the fans want to see real improvement or at least want to see real competition.

UK’s non-conference schedule has slowly declined since the early ’80s and has now become laugable. And, unfortunately, the argument that the easier schedule will keep UK healthier and fresher for the SEC hasn’t really panned out as we are still looking for our first winning year in the SEC since 1977.

Living in Atlanta, I’m not going to buy season tickets for the likes of Jacksonville State and WKU (though WKU may one day be the stronger program). However, give me a schedule like 1976, and I just might.

48. Mike Leach
    2:23 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

All Mitch had to do was grow a pair, then hire me last winter and this entire football season ticket fiasco would not be an issue. In fact, there would be at least a 27% INCREASE over last year’s sales.

49. Hokey Pete
    2:27 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

ActuallyOnPar: I didn’t say WINNING the East, I simply said COMPETING FOR the East. Big difference. There’s no question that competing for the East more years than not would be significantly better than UK’s historical performance (of which I’m acutely aware). Note what you’re saying: that it’s unreasonable to expect UK to COMPETE WITH our division rivals on a yearly basis (not BEAT, but COMPETE WITH). I don’t think it’s asking too much to be competitive with our division rivals every time out. I think UK football has that kind of potential, even given it’s poor recruiting base and history, but the University has to commit to winning football. It hasn’t done so in the past.

50. Hokey Pete
    2:28 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Sorry–“its”, not “it’s”.

51. FlipperCat
    2:33 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

#47 Huh? The argument hasn’t been we need to be fresher. The argument is 1) we play in a brutal conference so we need the wins to become bowl eligible, and 2) you have to schedule schools that don’t want a return home game in order to generate much needed revenue. Football in 2012 is completely different than 1976. And that’s a completely different discussion. The basketball fans argue they want top notch opponents for every home game but then also never want to lose. You can’t have both I’m afraid. Most schools in the SEC schedule very weak non-conference games, and there’s a really good reason for that. I don’t think people in Alabama would say “give me a schedule like we had in 1976 and I just might buy your tickets”. And perhaps that’s the reason the athletic budgets at the high profile SEC football schools are through the roof and we’re sitting here discussing all the reasons that our football team doesn’t deserve to have anyone at the games.

52. dick gosinia
    2:34 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

For the record – and I am looking at my ticket invoices for the last three years, both ticket and parking prices have been the same. They are actually $5 cheaper per game this year because UK charges more when we play U of Smell at CWS.

This is my 30th year of being a season ticket holder and I have seen my share of crappy football, including many 1-10, 2-9 seasons. I honestly think it is great that UK fans have higher expectations for football than we used to. I am not 100% convinced Joker can get this program where fans now expect it to be but he deserves support at least for this year. Vanderbilt clearly wanted that game more than we did but we showed improvement defensively toward the end of the year. If the offense can improve as much as the defense, I think we could surprise some folks. The key is winning the Smell game and I think we have a great shot at it!

I understand the fans who are tired and don’t feel the love anymore and are not getting as much value for their money. I get my tickets to support my alma mater and because there is no place I would rather be than in CWS in the fall. I am sure I will be disappointed at times because I want us to win every game but I would still rather be at the game than at home on my couch wishing I was there.

53. FlipperCat
    2:36 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

#40 – perhaps a good definition of “sub-par” for UK football lately is a season around 5-7. It’s slightly below what our program had built up to. And building a program in this league to be consistently 9-3 or 8-4 is remarkably difficult considering the environment we are trying to build it in.

54. FlipperCat
    2:43 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

#49 “the University has to commit to winning football. It hasn’t done so in the past”
    Exactly who is “the University”. It’s a collection of individuals right? Or do you think there is some man behind a curtain saying “we don’t care about football”.
    The University responds to what the people it interacts with do. If the fan base doesn’t support the team through donations, season tickets, etc. then what should the University do?
    Everyone wants a better coach, a Cal for football if you will. Isn’t it possible that the fan base doesn’t support this program enough financially to be able to hire the Saban’s of the world? And without the fan support, why on earth would a high profile coach come here anyway?

55. Hokey Pete
    2:49 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Consistently going 8-4 or 7-5, with the occasional rise to 9-3 or dip to 6-6, should be doable for a land-grant institution in the SEC–even Kentucky. As the schedule now sets up, we have 3 gimmes each year, with 3 more games against foes against which we’ve been historically competitive (UL, Miss. St., Vandy). That’s 6 potential wins on the schedule each year without winning a game against the SEC elite. Win 2 or 3 of those a year (out of 6, mind you), and voila: 8-4, 7-5. Yes, that’s much better than UK has been historically, but it’s certainly not unreasonable.

56. Hokey Pete
    2:57 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Flipper–I’m not talking about firing the coach and hiring Mike Leach. I’m talking about making a financial and institutional commitment to fielding a competitive football team from the ground up. I don’t think anyone can say that UK has made that commitment. I realize they’re in a tough spot, and said so in my post. Maybe UK’s alumni and fan base don’t care enough about football to make the commitment. Maybe marshaling the resources it takes to play winning football in the SEC isn’t feasible in a state like Kentucky in a poor economy. Lord knows Kentucky has worse problems than its mediocre football team. But if winning football games is a priority, changes need to be made, period.

57. Rex Chapmans Calves
    3:00 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

TO ROTNEY #22 & 23. DONT YOU DARE CALL THESE PEOPLE RACIST YOU SON OF A BITCH! I AND I HOPE EVERYONE ELSE HERE ON THIS FORUM IS OFFENDED AND PISSED OFF BY YOUR LACK OF EXCUSES FOR THE UK FOOTBALL COACH. WKU WOULDNT HIRE THIS MAN, BLACK, WHITE, RED OR YELLOW. I HAVE PERSONALLY BEEN TO SEVERAL HOME GAMES IN THE LAST 7 YEARS AND EVEN UNDER BROOKS THE PEOPLE IN MY SECTION ALL KNEW WHAT PLAYS HE WOULD CALL, PATHETIC. I SUPPORT THIS TEAM, I WILL NOT SUPPORT THIS COACH IN WAITING. GOOD LUCK PLAYERS, ILE BE WATCHING FROM THE COUCH!!!!!

58. ActuallyOnPar
    3:01 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

I would love for UK to “compete” for the SEC East title every year. It is just the case that UK has only done so maybe once or twice in the last 30 years. As for being competitive with SEC teams, then I would say that UK is pretty much there except for the 2-4 teams every year that are dominant – i.e. lately Alabama, LSU, previously Florida, Georgia.

I know that last year the team was not competitive in several SEC games, but I think that can be attributed to losing offensive weapons to graduation and injury and just being down a little bit compared to the 5-6 years before. Plus, by the end of the year the team was competitive with Georgia in Athens with a freshman quarterback making his third start and beat Tennessee – albeit an awful Tennessee – with a wide receiver playing quarterback.

I happen to think that the team is not as far off of the “competitive” standard of the last 5-7 years than most fans think.

I think I can agree with you Flipper that 5-7 is sub-par compared to the previous 5-6 years. It is, however, not THAT bad considering the history….

59. ActuallyOnPar
    3:18 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

The only problem I have with your last post Hokey, is that it is probably unrealistic to think UK is going to beat the 3 teams it is competitive with every year – especially when they are away games around half of the time. So, say UK averages 2 of those wins a year, then just to get to 6 wins – on average – means upsetting another SEC team every year. To get 7 means two upsets, possibly one on the road. Pretty tough to do when those teams are also fighting for the same thing.

Unfortunately, I think the standard, and hopeful, expectation should be competitive play and 6 wins. 7 wins, including the bowl game, is a good season, and anything more is great. More than 2 non-competitive games (maybe 3 depending on the schedule) and / or only 5 wins is a disappointment, and anything less is failure.

60. FlipperCat
    3:19 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

#56 – I think what you are saying is it’s up to the existing authority at UK to spend a bunch of money FIRST, and then the fans will follow. I can’t see any other way that an institution can show “support” for a program. The instituion is just reacting to what it sees going on around it. I’m saying other schools in this league don’t have to do that. The fan base does everything they can financially and emotionally so the money is there to start with. And when the fan base doesn’t provide that support, there is no justification to have a kick-a$$ stadium and hire a coach for $3-$5 million a year. So for all the fans quitting on these players and program, YOU are the reason we won’t ever be 9-3 or 10-2 consistently.
    I think the existing administration has done what they could given the circumstances following Mumme, the inability to find ANYONE wanting our job (except Brooks), and the lack of monetary support from the fan base. It’s not like Saban and Miles were beating on our door even when we made consecutive bowl games. And the reason they aren’t interested has NOTHING to do with Joker being our head coach. Overall I think we are agreeing for the most part – although I don’t agree at all the current athletics department policy makers should do something different unless WE do something different. Those that think we should schedule better non-conference opponents, charge less for tickets, don’t require donations, spend more money on a coach…etc. just really don’t realize how impossible that scenario is.

61. FlipperCat
    3:25 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

#57 if you are on the coach voluntarily, then clearly you do not support this team. Cheering from your living room in your pajamas is NOT support. Unfortunately, you are representative of a decent percentage of our fan base. Thus, the cycle continues.

62. Hokey Pete
    3:31 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

I think you’re probably right that the team isn’t that far off the competitive standard of the last 5-7 years. I just think that UK–as a land-grant institution and a member of the cash-cow SEC–has the potential to be better year-in and year-out, even with the disadvantages we’re all aware of.

63. Hokey Pete
    3:48 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Flipper, I’ll probably go to 5-7 games this year, just like every other year since about 1982. I don’t think I’m standing in the way of an SEC title. Maybe UK needs to something to show the fans that its serious about football. I’m not saying that M. Barnhart and company don’t care. They clearly do. But the perception is that football lacks the funding and facilities to compete in the SEC. I happen to think that the perception is accurate. Doing something to fight that perception would be a step in the right direction.

64. Hokey Pete
    3:50 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Good grief. I meant to say: “UK needs to DO something to show the fans that IT’S serious about football.”

65. SgtEusmc
    3:54 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Well considering that the tickets are almost the lowest priced of all the SEC schools I doubt much of it is the very very slightly improving economy. Which leaves tv or product. Hmmmm. I wonder what it really is… Good thing I mostly go to tailgate and get so buzzed I don’t remember us putting up less than 16 ppg. I’m a student and not bothering with season tickets this year. When the university starts taking football seriously so will the fans.
    Isn’t it funny that we fans never have a problem filling Rupp despite the economy and every game being on tv? It’s the product and the coach. Point blank period.

66. FlipperCat
    3:57 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

And what would you propose that UK do to show fans that it is serious? My argument isn’t with the people like yourself that support the team emotionally and financially.

67. putinrichie
    3:58 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

56 – Exactly! Our football problems lie primarily in the athletic department. Every past and future football coach at UK is setup to fail. Some coaches have done better than others but the overall product has been very similar. Hiring a new coach may appease some of the fans but it won’t change the product that is UK football. Major changes need to be made for the next coach to even have a chance.

68. Hokey Pete
    4:12 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Flipper, I don’t profess to be an expert or have all the answers. What I do know is that Kentucky has a poor recruiting base and is not a traditional football power. To make up for those shortcomings, UK has to be stellar in other areas. UK’s recruiting budget, facilities, coaching salaries (particularly for assistants), etc. are all mediocre at best. Tennessee, which also has a relatively poor recruiting base, spends over $1 million more per year on recruiting than UK. (UT might be a poor example, but bear with me.) A school like Oregon dazzles with its facilities and uniforms. Some schools go with an offensive or defensive system that gives them a strategic advantage. UK does none of these things, and hopes to compete in the best football conference in America. The fans aren’t stupid (although I might change my mind after another wave and a beach ball or two).

69. FlipperCat
    4:31 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

67 – what major changes would you propose. You realize the “product” is primarily the collective talents of the players vs. the players across the line.

68 – OK, so UK needs more money to have a bigger recruiting budget, better facilities, higher salaries for assistant coaches, swaynky unis, etc. We agree on that….and I’ll leave my beach ball at home. If UK needs to spend more money (that it doesn’t have), and the fans want a winner before they buy tickets, is the athletic department being fiscally responsible? The athletic department has a responsiblity to everyone under its authority – including the rifle team, soccer, tennis, etc. You’ve hit on something about a different offensive or defensive system – unfortunately the gimmicky stuff is the only thing really unique – and the Mumme years were wildly entertaining but ultimately a disaster. When you hire a coach on the fringes of what normally works, there is a risk to that. And I’ll take 10 years of Brooks and Joker over 2 years of Mumme ball and the corresponding NCAA disaster.

70. Hokey Pete
    4:42 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

I readily concede that it’s a conundrum. But it’s a conundrum that we must acknowledge if we’re to discuss UK football honestly and intelligently. I know this sounds trite, but UK pays some people very well to solve these problems. By “system”, I don’t mean a gimmick offense, but something a little more innovative or different (spread option?) at least gives you a calling card when you talk to a recruit.

71. Beavis
    7:52 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

They can certainly find the funds to pay coach Cal. There are assistant coaches at Bama that make almost as much as our head coach. Number 69,,,,if I remember,,,the stands were full when Mumme was here. Exciting brand of football,,,,and there was always the chance we might just out score the other team. I am not a Mumme fan,,,the trouble he brought ,,, well ,,it was not worth it. Point is the team was fun to watch,,,win or loose. What we have right now is like watching paint dry. Three and out,,,three and out. With the O line we have this year,,,get used to it.

72. Katdaddy
    9:00 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

Any FB coach is doomed at KENTUCKY!

73. Katdaddy
    9:08 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

#54 THANK YOU!

74. Katdaddy
    9:28 pm July 27, 2012 Permalink

I’ll be glad when we get the WHITE COACH thats gonna make it all better!!

75. BravoBigBlue
    6:47 am July 28, 2012 Permalink

74 – mo better.

76. Beavis
    8:09 am July 28, 2012 Permalink

# 54 Why would a high profile coach come here??? Ego and money.